PDA

View Full Version : The name game...and it's challenges...

Cheg
July 14th 03, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone

My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find a
name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and my
name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French as
well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.

So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a girl
(I like Aïsha too).

Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
also very aware of the nickname factor...

Thanks
--
Alex

cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

H Schinske
July 14th 03, 07:38 PM
wrote:

> The challenge here is to find a
>name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
>language it's pronounced in!

Well, Marie is an obvious candidate, though you may find it dull. I'm sure I
don't pronounce it quite the way a Francophone would, but it comes out
recognizable.

--Helen

Leah Adezio
July 14th 03, 09:11 PM
"Cheg" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
> and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find
> name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
> language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and my
> name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French
as
> well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.
>
> So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a
girl
> (I like Aïsha too).
>
> Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
> also very aware of the nickname factor...

I think Americans are familiar enough with girls' names that end with 'elle'
that both English and French speakers will pronounce them correctly --
Danielle, Janelle, Mirelle, etc. (though French speakers will give the 'J' a
softer sound than English speakers will...but it'll still be recognizable
either way)....Anne (and names that end in 'anne'...Marianne, Alianne,
Julianne), Anna, Claire, would also be good choices since they're not
uncommon in either French or English and there's no major pronounciation
shift.

Boys' names might seem more difficult -- Robert in English will be
pronounced differently than Robert in French, for example.

You might try Stefan for a boy (with a 'ph' - Stephen, English speakers will
pronounce it 'STEE-vehn' but French speakers will pronounce it
'STEH-fan')...but 'Stefan' will get you 'STEH-fan' by either, I'd think).

Hmmm...Daniel would work for either....as will Mark/Marc, Alec, Garth,
Gareth, Luke, Paul.

HTH.

Leah
______
In Memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03
Beloved Husband, Father, Heart's Companion

> Thanks
> --
> Alex
>
> cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

Cheg
July 14th 03, 09:42 PM

"Banty" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Cheg" says...
> >
> >Hi everyone
> >
> >My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a
surprise
> >and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to
find a
> >name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
> >language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and
my
> >name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French
as
> >well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.
> >
> >So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a
girl
> >(I like Aïsha too).
> >
> >Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
> >also very aware of the nickname factor...
> >
> >Thanks
> >--
> >Alex
>
> Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population will
wonder
> why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name Alexandr.
>
> See - it's sure hard to be correct in *every* language ;-)
>
> Banty
> >
> >cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

Moo
July 14th 03, 10:26 PM
We chose Daniel for exactly this reason--it is spelled the same and pronounced
almost the same in practially every western country.

"Cheg" > wrote in message >...
> Hi everyone
>
> My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
> and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find a
> name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
> language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and my
> name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French as
> well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.
>
> So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a girl
> (I like Aïsha too).
>
> Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
> also very aware of the nickname factor...
>
> Thanks

Rosalie B.
July 15th 03, 02:00 AM
x-no-archive:yes
dragonlady > wrote:

>In article >,
> (H Schinske) wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The challenge here is to find a
>> >name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
>> >language it's pronounced in!

There's a certain benefit to having a name that is often
mis-pronounced. Whenever the telemarketers call my mom on the phone,
she knows right away that they don't know her because they don't
pronounce our last name the way we do.

>> Well, Marie is an obvious candidate, though you may find it dull. I'm sure I
>> don't pronounce it quite the way a Francophone would, but it comes out
>> recognizable.
>>
>> --Helen
>
>It is NOT dull!
>
>The only problem I have with it is that as I have moved into areas where
>Spanish is more common, I keep getting called "Maria" -- which, alas, is
>NOT my name! Most people are amenable to being corrected; a few
>(generally men, for some odd reason) just don't seem to want to say
>"Marie".
>
>meh
>(That's Marie Elaine)

grandma Rosalie

Banty
July 15th 03, 03:22 AM
In article >, "Cheg" says...

>"So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "

Ah - gotcha (the boy part, not the Alt+0154 part.)

Then why dont' you name him Alexandr??

Banty

>"Banty" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Cheg" says...
>> >
>> >Hi everyone
>> >
>> >My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a
>surprise
>> >and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to
>find a
>> >name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
>> >language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and
>my
>> >name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French
>as
>> >well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.
>> >
>> >So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a
>girl
>> >(I like Aïsha too).
>> >
>> >Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
>> >also very aware of the nickname factor...
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >--
>> >Alex
>>
>> Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population will
>wonder
>> why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name Alexandr.
>>
>> See - it's sure hard to be correct in *every* language ;-)
>>
>> Banty
>> >
>> >cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

Cheg Uevara
July 15th 03, 04:21 AM
'cause that's my name! (Actually, Alexandre)

;)

"Banty" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Cheg" says...
> >

> >"So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "
> >

> Ah - gotcha (the boy part, not the Alt+0154 part.)
>
> Then why dont' you name him Alexandr??
>
> Banty
>

> >"Banty" > wrote in message
> >> In article >, "Cheg"
says...

> >surprise
> >find a
> >my
French
> >as

> >girl

We're

> >> Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population
will
> >wonder
> >> why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name Alexandr.
> >>
> >> See - it's sure hard to be correct in *every* language ;-)
> >>
> >> Banty

Cheg Uevara
July 15th 03, 04:21 AM
Sasa

"Jon Ericson" > wrote in message
> "Cheg" > writes:
>
> > "So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "
>
> Enlighten us, please. What letter (or glyph) would result from that
> gesture? (In other words, you might as well be speaking Russian as
> far as I'm concerned.)
>
> Jon
> --
> Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be
> terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with
> you wherever you go.
> -- Joshua 1:9

toto
July 15th 03, 04:37 AM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:21:39 GMT, "Cheg Uevara"
> wrote:

>Sasa

Saša with the accent?

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

Cheg Uevara
July 15th 03, 12:37 PM
Yeah, it didn't show up in this post

"toto" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:21:39 GMT, "Cheg Uevara"
> > wrote:
>
> >Sasa
>
> Sasa with the accent?
>

> --
> Dorothy
>
> There is no sound, no cry in all the world
> that can be heard unless someone listens ..
> Outer Limits

Sara
July 15th 03, 05:25 PM
Cheg wrote:

> My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
> and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find a
> name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
> language it's pronounced in!

My parents were diplomats, and, similar to you, wanted names that were
recognized internationally. I'm Sara, my sister is Anne, and if either
of us was a boy we would've been named David. There are variants on
how these names are pronouced but they're always recognizable.

When I was in Cuba a few years ago with some friends, we stayed with
some people who spoke only Spanish. My friends were named Jodi and
Craig, which confused our hosts no end. When I said my name was Sara,
the hostess was relieved that I had "a good Cuban name!"

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

<< I check this e-mail account infrequently >>

Chookie
July 17th 03, 02:13 PM
In article >, Banty >
wrote:

> Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population will
> wonder why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name
> Alexandr.

They won't, since it's also a diminutive for Alexandra!

My suggestion is names of Greek/Hebrew origin (like Alexander) since those
have equivalents in all European languages, at least.

But you also have to cut people some slack when it comes to pronouncing names
which are foreign to them, particularly when the name doesn't fit with local
pronunciation rules. The most striking example I ever saw of this was in
Moscow, when I was in a class with a Spanish guy named Roberto. The problem
is that Muscovite Russian pronounces unstressed O as A. Roberto was *very*
unhappy about being called Roberta! (Robert is not a name used in Russia --
it's of French origin, I think)

I suppose the other option is to go for a name that is SO unusual that people
will invariably ask how it's pronounced!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990