PDA

View Full Version : Announcing...

Jan Andrea
October 2nd 03, 06:38 PM
Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --
mostly prodromal, but with 4 hours of pretty hard ctx. towards the end. 2
minutes of pushing (this time I knew what I was doing :) which led to a
small, non-suture-needing labial tear, but otherwise no harm to me. Even
though she was born in the bedroom, where big brother Stephen also sleeps,
he didn't wake up until she was about 20 minutes old! The weirdest thing: a
succenturiate lobe to the placenta, which made the third stage pretty
long -- 45 minutes -- and had the midwife worried we might have to transfer
to the hospital. Seemed silly to me that we should have a perfectly healthy
baby at home and then go to the hospital for the placenta, and luckily my
uterus finally agreed.

She's a nursing champ already, latching on without difficulty at 5 minutes
after birth.

Vital stats: 6 lbs 7 oz (why do I make such small babies?), 19.5" long,
apgars 10 and 10. There's a picture of her taken roughly 8 hours after birth
at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_ready_for_my_closeup.jpg
and one of Stephen (looking quite shell-shocked) with her shortly after he
woke up at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_sgl_and_sophia.jpg
More to follow, of course.

So glad not to be in labor anymore...
Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

DeliciousTruffles
October 2nd 03, 06:45 PM
Congratulations, Jan!

Welcome to the world, little Sophia! :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

JennP
October 2nd 03, 06:57 PM
"Jan Andrea" > wrote in message
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --

Congrats!...even though I'm not sure I knew you were pregnant! Guess I must
really be skimming.

Welcome Sophia!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Vicki S
October 2nd 03, 07:33 PM
Mazal Tov!!! You are a mother of two now!! How exciting! I am so
happy for all of you! Now go sleep! ;)

I went immediately to look at the photos, of course, and when I saw
Sophia I said aloud "Oh! look at that tiny creature with those enormous
eyes!" Then I saw the picture of Stephen, and you know, the same
comment applies pretty well!

Your children are BEAUTIFUL. I wish I lived close by so I could bring
you some dinner and meet your little ones face to face. I'll have to be
satisfied with pictures. Oh, and the babies local friends keep having -
that ought to help. :)

By the way, what is "a succenturiate lobe to the placenta"? - when you
have a moment to answer, of course. :)
--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995

Irish Marie
October 2nd 03, 08:00 PM
"Jan Andrea" > wrote in message
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --

Many congratulations Jan and welcome to Baby Sophia.

--
Marie
Mum to DD born March '98, DS#1 born Nov '99 and DS#2 born Aug '03

Mary W.
October 2nd 03, 08:08 PM
I knew you were pregnant, but I think I just found out so I thought
you were newly pregnant, not full term! Congrats, though, she's lovely!

Mary

Sue wrote:

> Congratulations!!
>
> Like Jenn P, I didn't know you were pregnant. ;o) You must have kept that
> pretty quiet.
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)
> I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
>
> Jan Andrea > wrote in message
> > Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --
> > mostly prodromal, but with 4 hours of pretty hard ctx. towards the end. 2
> > minutes of pushing (this time I knew what I was doing :) which led to a
> > small, non-suture-needing labial tear, but otherwise no harm to me. Even
> > though she was born in the bedroom, where big brother Stephen also sleeps,
> > he didn't wake up until she was about 20 minutes old! The weirdest thing:
> > succenturiate lobe to the placenta, which made the third stage pretty
> > long -- 45 minutes -- and had the midwife worried we might have to
> transfer
> > to the hospital. Seemed silly to me that we should have a perfectly
> healthy
> > baby at home and then go to the hospital for the placenta, and luckily my
> > uterus finally agreed.
> >
> > She's a nursing champ already, latching on without difficulty at 5 minutes
> > after birth.
> >
> > Vital stats: 6 lbs 7 oz (why do I make such small babies?), 19.5" long,
> > apgars 10 and 10. There's a picture of her taken roughly 8 hours after
> birth
> > at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_ready_for_my_closeup.jpg
> > and one of Stephen (looking quite shell-shocked) with her shortly after he
> > woke up at
> http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_sgl_and_sophia.jpg
> > More to follow, of course.
> >
> > So glad not to be in labor anymore...
> > Jan
> > --
> > Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
> > and Sophia, 2 October 2003
> > My personal page: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/
> > Baby-related crafts: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crafts.html

Emily Roysdon
October 2nd 03, 08:23 PM
Jan Andrea wrote:
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30,

Congratulations! I'm glad you decided against naming her Strychnine ;-)

Emily

iphigenia
October 2nd 03, 08:39 PM
Jan Andrea wrote:
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor
> -- mostly prodromal, but with 4 hours of pretty hard ctx. towards the
> end.

Aw, congratulations!

> So glad not to be in labor anymore...

I bet : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Sue
October 2nd 03, 10:55 PM
Vicki S > wrote in message
> By the way, what is "a succenturiate lobe to the placenta"? - when you
> have a moment to answer, of course. :)

This is a separate lobe away from the main body of the placenta, but
attached to the latter by vessels running in the membranes.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sue
October 2nd 03, 10:56 PM

Jan Andrea > wrote in message
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --
> mostly prodromal, but with 4 hours of pretty hard ctx. towards the end. 2
> minutes of pushing (this time I knew what I was doing :) which led to a
> small, non-suture-needing labial tear, but otherwise no harm to me. Even
> though she was born in the bedroom, where big brother Stephen also sleeps,
> he didn't wake up until she was about 20 minutes old! The weirdest thing:
> succenturiate lobe to the placenta, which made the third stage pretty
> long -- 45 minutes -- and had the midwife worried we might have to
transfer
> to the hospital. Seemed silly to me that we should have a perfectly
healthy
> baby at home and then go to the hospital for the placenta, and luckily my
> uterus finally agreed.
>
> She's a nursing champ already, latching on without difficulty at 5 minutes
> after birth.
>
> Vital stats: 6 lbs 7 oz (why do I make such small babies?), 19.5" long,
> apgars 10 and 10. There's a picture of her taken roughly 8 hours after
birth
> at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_ready_for_my_closeup.jpg
> and one of Stephen (looking quite shell-shocked) with her shortly after he
> woke up at
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_sgl_and_sophia.jpg
> More to follow, of course.
>
> So glad not to be in labor anymore...
> Jan
> --
> Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
> and Sophia, 2 October 2003
> My personal page: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/
> Baby-related crafts: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crafts.html

Sara
October 2nd 03, 11:34 PM
Jan Andrea wrote:

> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30...

Felicitations!

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

nnaesor
October 3rd 03, 01:51 AM
"Jan Andrea" > wrote in message
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --
Welcome Earthside little Sophia :)
Congrats :)

Chookie
October 4th 03, 12:43 PM
Congratulations to you and welcome to your beautiful little girl!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Jan Andrea
October 4th 03, 06:05 PM
This is also a generalized Thank You to everyone who wrote, but since Vicky
had the most text, I'm quoting her post :)

"Vicki S" > wrote in message
> Mazal Tov!!! You are a mother of two now!! How exciting! I am so
> happy for all of you! Now go sleep! ;)

I'm actually feeling really good right now -- hope this doesn't mean I'll
crash later, but just not being pregnant has vastly increased my energy
reserves.

> I went immediately to look at the photos, of course, and when I saw
> Sophia I said aloud "Oh! look at that tiny creature with those enormous
> eyes!" Then I saw the picture of Stephen, and you know, the same
> comment applies pretty well!

They both got my mother's eyes, with I think DH's color. I hope they didn't
get mine and my families' myopia, though :)

> Your children are BEAUTIFUL. I wish I lived close by so I could bring
> you some dinner and meet your little ones face to face. I'll have to be
> satisfied with pictures. Oh, and the babies local friends keep having -
> that ought to help. :)

Thank you, Vicky -- that means a lot :) I wish I could meet you and your
family, too -- and everyone else I've grown to "know" on MKB over the years!
I'm happy to be an active breastfeeder again -- those nine months seemed
awfully long ;)

> By the way, what is "a succenturiate lobe to the placenta"? - when you
> have a moment to answer, of course. :)

Sue pretty much got it -- there was a separate mini-placenta in the amniotic
sac, which was actually not attached to the real placenta in any way, though
some of them are connected with a vein (which can cause its own
complications). What it meant in our case was that the third stage took a
really long time -- the mini-placenta didn't want to detach. There was no
connection between it and the real placenta or the umbilical cord, so none
of its blood supply was draining, keeping it from peeling off from the
uterus. It was a good thing that it came out on its own, though; since
there were no visible connections, we never would have known it was there,
and I could have had an awful infection, not to mention no milk!

Speaking of which, Sophia nursed pretty much all last night, and my milk
seems to have come in (based on early engorgement) about 48 hours after her
birth. She had 7 (!) poopy diapers yesterday, but hasn't had any today,
though the last two yesterday were transitioning to regular poops. The ped
was a little concerned with her weight loss as of yesterday afternoon,
despite hearing about all the poops (which had to be at least 1 oz a piece)
and that she'd been peeing -- she was at 5 lbs 14 oz, down from 6 lbs 7 oz
at birth (two completely different scales, though). I am personally not
worried, as I know exactly where the weight went, and she's been nursing
essentially non-stop, with brief pauses for sleep. At what point should I
actually start worrying, do you think? Since my milk is coming in, I would
expect her to pick up in diaper frequency again, but I seem to recall there
was a rule of thumb that one wouldn't expect more wet diapers than the
baby's age in days for the first few days, and then after that you'd expect
4-6 wet ones and lots of poopy ones.

Other than that, everything has been great :)

Thanks again to all,
Jan, DH, Stephen, and Sophia!

*Hunee*
October 5th 03, 12:48 PM
Jan Andrea > wrote in message
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --
> mostly prodromal, but with 4 hours of pretty hard ctx. towards the end. 2
> minutes of pushing (this time I knew what I was doing :) which led to a
> small, non-suture-needing labial tear, but otherwise no harm to me. Even
> though she was born in the bedroom, where big brother Stephen also sleeps,
> he didn't wake up until she was about 20 minutes old! The weirdest thing:
> succenturiate lobe to the placenta, which made the third stage pretty
> long -- 45 minutes -- and had the midwife worried we might have to
transfer
> to the hospital. Seemed silly to me that we should have a perfectly
healthy
> baby at home and then go to the hospital for the placenta, and luckily my
> uterus finally agreed.
>
> She's a nursing champ already, latching on without difficulty at 5 minutes
> after birth.
>
> Vital stats: 6 lbs 7 oz (why do I make such small babies?), 19.5" long,
> apgars 10 and 10. There's a picture of her taken roughly 8 hours after
birth
> at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_ready_for_my_closeup.jpg
> and one of Stephen (looking quite shell-shocked) with her shortly after he
> woke up at
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/sophia/100203_sgl_and_sophia.jpg
> More to follow, of course.
>
> So glad not to be in labor anymore...
> Jan
> --
> Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
> and Sophia, 2 October 2003
> My personal page: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/
> Baby-related crafts: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crafts.html

((((((((hugs)))))))))) and congratulations Andrea.
I absolutely *love* her name, my little one is also Sophia.
:-)
--
*~*~*Trish*~*~*
Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.a3.com.au
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irene
October 6th 03, 03:17 PM
"Jan Andrea" > wrote in message >...
> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --

Congratulations, and welcome to the world, Sophia!

(I love the name, too.)

Irene

P. G. Chavez
October 7th 03, 11:25 PM
Jan Andrea wrote and I snipped:

> Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --

Oh, congratulations, Jan! Your Stephen and my Nathan are the same age,
and I'm thinking it would be so nice to have a new little one now.
Enjoy Sophia!

-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]

Mogget
October 9th 03, 04:50 PM
In message >, Jan Andrea
> writes
>Sophia arrived at home this morning at 3:30, after 27 hours of labor --

<Snip>

Congratulations.
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat