PDA

View Full Version : Honey questions

AlenasMom
October 9th 03, 01:45 AM
Can you eat honey while nursing or will the bad things (I don't know what
those are) pass through to the baby?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

New York Jen
October 9th 03, 01:54 AM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Can you eat honey while nursing or will the bad things (I don't know what
> those are) pass through to the baby?
>
> --
> Lina

You can eat honey, but it's recommended not to give the baby any honey until
he/she is at least a year old because honey can contain botulism spores.

Akuvikate
October 9th 03, 02:01 PM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message gers.com>...
> Can you eat honey while nursing or will the bad things (I don't know what
> those are) pass through to the baby?

The bad things are botulism spores, which can take root in the baby's
gut and become toxin-producing bacteria. They can't get settled in
your gut (adult botulism involves eating pre-produced toxin) nor can
they get into your milk, so you're good.

I read something recently recommending Karo syrup for baby
constipation -- NOT!!! My understanding is that the risk is lower
than with honey, but it's still a risk for infant botulism.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003

Hillary Israeli
October 17th 03, 01:44 AM

*
*The bad things are botulism spores, which can take root in the baby's
*gut and become toxin-producing bacteria. They can't get settled in
*your gut (adult botulism involves eating pre-produced toxin) nor can
*they get into your milk, so you're good.
*
*I read something recently recommending Karo syrup for baby
*constipation -- NOT!!! My understanding is that the risk is lower
*than with honey, but it's still a risk for infant botulism.

(PIDJ 19(6): 584-585.)

From the article:

"The findings for corn syrup are more ambiguous [than for honey]. In the
early 1980s laboratory studies of infant foods conducted by the FDA found
botulism spores in commercially-produced corn syrup. About this time a CDC
case-control study identified corn syrup as a risk factor for botulism in
infants more than 2 months of age, though it was not a risk factor for
infant botulism in general. Following changes in corn syrup production,
repeat FDA laboratory testing was negative [1991]. Current recommendations
suggest that infants (i.e., less than one year of age) should not be fed
honey. The evidence is insufficient to warrant recommending against giving
corn syrup to infants."

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)