PDA

View Full Version : Medication & BF Question

Kristine
October 9th 03, 05:46 AM
I was prescribed "Lamictal" today by a neurologist because of an
abnormal EEG and "blackout" episodes I've been having for over a year
now (new doctor, I didn't like the old one I was seeing). Is this safe
to take and continue BF my 6 month old son? I really want to keep BF.
I've made my 6 month goal and want to make it to my 1 year goal now:)

Thanks.

Kristine

iphigenia
October 9th 03, 04:30 PM
Kristine wrote:
> I was prescribed "Lamictal" today by a neurologist because of an
> abnormal EEG and "blackout" episodes I've been having for over a year
> now (new doctor, I didn't like the old one I was seeing). Is this
> safe to take and continue BF my 6 month old son? I really want to
> keep BF. I've made my 6 month goal and want to make it to my 1 year
> goal now:)

Hale quotes a couple studies tracking the levels of lamotrigine in milk and
infant serum. The authors estimated that the infants were getting between
2-5 mg per day, and that the infants developed normally in every way. The
authors of the studies Hale quotes suggest that "infants, while developing
normally, should probably be monitored periodically for plasma levels of
lamotrigine." It's an L3, half-life of 29 hours, time to peak plasma
concentration 1-4 hours. Hopefully your doctor mentioned to you that
acetaminophen reduces lamotrigen half-life by 15-20% and may require
increased doses.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Andrea
October 9th 03, 07:35 PM
"Kristine" wrote in message

> I was prescribed "Lamictal" today by a neurologist because of an
> abnormal EEG and "blackout" episodes I've been having for over a year
> now (new doctor, I didn't like the old one I was seeing). Is this safe
> to take and continue BF my 6 month old son? I really want to keep BF.
> I've made my 6 month goal and want to make it to my 1 year goal now:)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kristine

Hi,

Didn't you inform the neurologist you were breastfeeding?

My dentist wrote me a prescription for strong antibiotics, then I told him I
was breastfeeding so he ripped it up and said "Good job you told me, those
are the last thing you'd want to take while breastfeeding".

I think all medical proffesionals should ask when prescribing drugs, one
look at your notes would tell them you had a baby.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 18lbs @ 18 weeks. (7lbs 9 and
a half born).

iphigenia
October 9th 03, 08:09 PM
Andrea wrote:

> My dentist wrote me a prescription for strong antibiotics, then I
> told him I was breastfeeding so he ripped it up and said "Good job
> you told me, those are the last thing you'd want to take while
> breastfeeding".

I still want to know what this terrible antibiotic *was*...

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

Shannon
October 9th 03, 08:31 PM
Yup. I've had all kinds of prescriptions denied to me because I was
breastfeeding, only to find out they were perfectly safe afterward. Grrrr.

-Shannon

"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> Andrea wrote:
> >
> > My dentist wrote me a prescription for strong antibiotics, then I
> > told him I was breastfeeding so he ripped it up and said "Good job
> > you told me, those are the last thing you'd want to take while
> > breastfeeding".
> >

> I still want to know what this terrible antibiotic *was*...
>
> --
> iphigenia
> www.tristyn.net
> "i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
> i do not think that they will sing to me."

Kristine
October 12th 03, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the responses:)

The doctor knew I was bf my son. She walked in while I was doing
so...LoL The other drugs that could be prescribed were ruled out for
various reasons.

I'm going to continue bf'ing my son and I plan on informing his
pediatrician so that we can monitor him closely.

I really hope it goes well. I love bf my son...I love the closeness
that I feel and the bond that I feel and I don't want to give it up.

Kristine
~Mom to Raven - my little "ChubberButt" - 04/01/03