PDA

View Full Version : Cough meds?

SuperEeyore
October 10th 03, 12:47 AM
What's the risk on cough meds like Robitussin DM?

Laurel

Phoebe & Allyson
October 10th 03, 02:02 AM
SuperEeyore wrote:

> What's the risk on cough meds like Robitussin DM?

Guaifenesin is L2. "...the usefulness of this product as an
expectorant is highly questionable. Poor efficacy or these
drugs (expectorants in general) would suggest that they do
not provide enough justification for use in lactating
mothers. But untoward effects have not been reported."

Dextromethorphan is an L1. "It is the safest of the
antitussives and is routinely used in children and infants."

Pseudoephedrin (in the CF formulation) is an L3 for acute
use and L4 for chronic use. "Preliminary studies from our
laboratories suggest that in some mothers, a significant
reduction in milk volume and prolactin levels may result
following exposure to pseudoephedrine. While the amount of
pseudoephedrine in milk is not clinically relevant, the
reduction in milk production is concerning. Caution is
recommended."

I'd stick with one of the dextromethorphan-only
formulations, which I think are the Maximum Strength and the
Honey Cough.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Dawn Lawson
October 10th 03, 04:49 AM
Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
> SuperEeyore wrote:
>
>> What's the risk on cough meds like Robitussin DM?
>

> Guaifenesin is L2. "...the usefulness of this product as an expectorant
> is highly questionable.

*g* but it's useful for cervical fluid problems in infertility treatment.

If you're not trying to stay awake, I would think a codeine product used
as inf requently as possible to get some sleep would be ok, too...??

dawn

Phoebe & Allyson
October 10th 03, 05:33 AM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

> I would think a codeine product used
> as inf requently as possible to get some sleep would be ok, too...??
Yep. But not available without a prescription, at least where I am. :)

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Dawn Lawson
October 10th 03, 06:04 AM
Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

> Dawn Lawson wrote:
>
>> I would think a codeine product used as inf requently as possible to
>> get some sleep would be ok, too...??
>
> Yep. But not available without a prescription, at least where I am. :)

True, but more effective than guaifenesin, What is the Hale rating on
Codeine and is an rx a big deal?

You COULD get Tylenol #1 without an rx, which is acetaminophen, codeine
and caffiene. (At leaaast you can here in Canada, think the states are
more restrictive)

iphigenia
October 10th 03, 03:09 PM
Dawn Lawson wrote:
> True, but more effective than guaifenesin, What is the Hale rating on
> Codeine and is an rx a big deal?

Codeine's an L3, but it's no big, it's approved by the AAP, yada yada.

Rx isn't a big deal except in terms of having to call your doctor and talk
him/her into prescribing it, and possibly paying a co-pay for an office
visit if s/he won't just call it in without having a look at you.

> You COULD get Tylenol #1 without an rx, which is acetaminophen,
> codeine and caffiene. (At leaaast you can here in Canada, think the
> states are more restrictive)

*No* codeine is available over the counter in the US. That's why we have to
go to Canada and smuggle Tylenol formulations containing codeine back home
: )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Phoebe & Allyson
October 11th 03, 01:13 AM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

> is an rx a big deal?

For me, it would probably be ~$75 out of pocket. For most
insured people, it would be ~$20. For the uninsured, more
like ~$100.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Dawn Lawson
October 11th 03, 01:23 AM
Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

> Dawn Lawson wrote:
>

>> is an rx a big deal?
>

> For me, it would probably be ~$75 out of pocket. For most insured
> people, it would be ~$20. For the uninsured, more like ~$100.

Ah, right. America...land of the free and all that.
I assume you mean what it could cost to get the paper in your fist, not
the price of the meds, right?? (Codeine is cheap)

Dawn, mentally adding to the "thank the god(dess) I'm a Canuk" list

Phoebe & Allyson
October 11th 03, 03:15 AM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

> I assume you mean what it could cost to get the paper in your fist, not
> the price of the meds, right?? (Codeine is cheap)

Yes - the codeine would be about $5, regardless of insurance
coverage.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt