PDA

View Full Version : Hale's Lookup for Irish Marie please

Herself
October 10th 03, 02:02 PM
Sounds like her computer exploded. Can someone please look up
mebendazole? And I don't know what the L1 and L2 stuff means...can
someone explain in small words for me? ;-)

Thanks!
--
'Tis Herself

iphigenia
October 10th 03, 03:02 PM
Herself wrote:
> Sounds like her computer exploded. Can someone please look up
> mebendazole?

L4."Considering the poor oral absorption and high prtein binding, it is
unlikely to be transmitted to the infant in clinically relevant
concentrations. However, in one patient after two days therapy with
mebendazole, it was reported to significantly reduce production of
breastmilk to the point that milk production ceased after one week. This is
the only report which has noted that side effect."

The alternative given is pyrantel, which is an L3, and does not have the
concerns with production.

http://home.comcast.net/~tsu/breastfeeding/halescats.htm

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Herself
October 10th 03, 03:58 PM
iphigenia > wrote:

> Herself wrote:
> > Sounds like her computer exploded. Can someone please look up
> > mebendazole?
>
> L4."Considering the poor oral absorption and high prtein binding, it is
> unlikely to be transmitted to the infant in clinically relevant
> concentrations. However, in one patient after two days therapy with
> mebendazole, it was reported to significantly reduce production of
> breastmilk to the point that milk production ceased after one week. This is
> the only report which has noted that side effect."

Great...she's working on when the best time is going to be to start
taking the medicine. Little worried about her supply, but the meds have
to be taken.

> The alternative given is pyrantel, which is an L3, and does not have the
> concerns with production.

The doc mentioned that, but said that it's been withdrawn from the
market here...

> > And I don't know what the L1 and L2 stuff means...can
> > someone explain in small words for me? ;-)
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tsu/breastfeeding/halescats.htm

Perfect, thanks :-).
--
'Tis Herself

Hillary Israeli
October 17th 03, 02:03 AM
In >,
Herself > wrote:

*iphigenia > wrote:
*
*> Herself wrote:
*> > Sounds like her computer exploded. Can someone please look up
*> > mebendazole?
*>
[...]

Interesting. FWIW pyrantel is a VERY commonly used dewormer for puppies,
among others :)

Poor Marie needing mebendazole. That can't be fun. But depending on what
she needs it for -- if it's pinworms, you only have to take one dose.
Other types, you need to take it for multiple days, which would expose her
to more risk.

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Herself
October 17th 03, 09:30 AM
Hillary Israeli > wrote:

> Interesting. FWIW pyrantel is a VERY commonly used dewormer for puppies,
> among others :)

So she should go to her vet to get some? :-)

> Poor Marie needing mebendazole. That can't be fun. But depending on what
> she needs it for -- if it's pinworms, you only have to take one dose.
> Other types, you need to take it for multiple days, which would expose her
> to more risk.

It's more the family needs it than her, she has to take some as a
precautionary dose, I think. IIRC, it was just one dose, and she was
trying to work out when exactly to take it. The rest of the family had
a longer dose than she did...

Sounds like her computer is fried, BTW. A friend is looking at it, but
if they can't fix it, we're going to go try to. And if we can't....ugh.
--
'Tis Herself