PDA

View Full Version : Allergy vent

Herself
October 10th 03, 07:06 PM
So, we're pretty sure that P is reacting to vinegar. Any time he has
anything with vin in it, his chin breaks out. I'm at the end of my
rope...if I have to give up vinegar, I don't know what to do. I love
vinegar. I'm making some downstairs with Hungarian wine. Everything,
including some of my cakes, get vinegar.

I did get a scrip for some Zirtek liquid for him, but I'd prefer to not
give him meds if I don't have to. But how do you give up vinegar?
--
'Tis Herself

iphigenia
October 10th 03, 08:19 PM
Herself wrote:

> I did get a scrip for some Zirtek liquid for him, but I'd prefer to
> not give him meds if I don't have to. But how do you give up vinegar?

Strange, the only vinegar I ever eat is in pickles! I can't imagine it being
a big part of my diet.
Too bad about the allergy, though!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Dawn Lawson
October 10th 03, 08:27 PM
Herself wrote:
> So, we're pretty sure that P is reacting to vinegar. Any time he has
> anything with vin in it, his chin breaks out.

Is it an allergy or just a skin reaction??
If you're using different vinegars and he's ok wtih the components of
them, then I'd suspect his skin is sensitive, but not that it's an
allergy (especially since it's his chin)

But feel free to tel me I don't know what I'm talking about! ;-)

Dawn

Herself
October 10th 03, 10:04 PM
Sue > wrote:

> I'd have to agree with Dawn. Are you sure it's just not irritating his skin?
> Citrus irritates my skin as does wools. When he eats something with vinegar
> in it, is it getting all over his chin? I wouldn't have a problem not eating
> vinegar so I can't be of useful help to you. But, I would make the
> distinction between a skin reaction and a true allergy.

He's not smearing food on his face, but I'll double check next time to
make sure. Hopefully you all are right, and I'm just getting paranoid
:-).
--
'Tis Herself

Sue
October 11th 03, 12:15 AM
I'd have to agree with Dawn. Are you sure it's just not irritating his skin?
Citrus irritates my skin as does wools. When he eats something with vinegar
in it, is it getting all over his chin? I wouldn't have a problem not eating
vinegar so I can't be of useful help to you. But, I would make the
distinction between a skin reaction and a true allergy.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Herself > wrote in message
> So, we're pretty sure that P is reacting to vinegar. Any time he has
> anything with vin in it, his chin breaks out. I'm at the end of my
> rope...if I have to give up vinegar, I don't know what to do. I love
> vinegar. I'm making some downstairs with Hungarian wine. Everything,
> including some of my cakes, get vinegar.
>
> I did get a scrip for some Zirtek liquid for him, but I'd prefer to not
> give him meds if I don't have to. But how do you give up vinegar?
> --
> 'Tis Herself

A&G&K
October 11th 03, 03:24 AM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> Herself wrote:
> >
> > I did get a scrip for some Zirtek liquid for him, but I'd prefer to
> > not give him meds if I don't have to. But how do you give up vinegar?
>
> Strange, the only vinegar I ever eat is in pickles! I can't imagine it
being
> a big part of my diet.
> Too bad about the allergy, though!

I agree - the only vinegar I have is in salad dressing. It must be a PITA
if its in a lot of your fav foods though.
Amanda

Herself
October 11th 03, 09:37 AM
A&G&K > wrote:

> "iphigenia" > wrote in message
> > Herself wrote:
> > >
> > > I did get a scrip for some Zirtek liquid for him, but I'd prefer to
> > > not give him meds if I don't have to. But how do you give up vinegar?
> >
> > Strange, the only vinegar I ever eat is in pickles! I can't imagine it
> being
> > a big part of my diet.
> > Too bad about the allergy, though!
> >

> I agree - the only vinegar I have is in salad dressing. It must be a PITA
> if its in a lot of your fav foods though.

I love vinegar. Seriously. When I found out tomatoes had to go, I
thought "well, at least I can still have vinegar". I make marinades out
of it, use it in sweet n sours, cakes, salads, braising chicken, in
stews and chilis. I go through a *lot* of it :-).
--
'Tis Herself

Elaine
October 11th 03, 03:51 PM
In article >, Herself wrote:
> Sue > wrote:

>> I'd have to agree with Dawn. Are you sure it's just not irritating his skin?

> He's not smearing food on his face, but I'll double check next time to
> make sure. Hopefully you all are right, and I'm just getting paranoid

Also, have you tried various types of vinegar? Distilled vinegar
that you would buy is commonly made from corn or wheat, and can be
an allergy risk if you react to one of those. Cider vinegar, wine
vinegar, etc are all going to be slightly different allergens.
Generally if someone is reacting to *all* vinegar it's part of
a yeast problem.

Elaine (no grains, no dairy, no legumes)

Jenrose
October 11th 03, 06:49 PM
> I love vinegar. Seriously. When I found out tomatoes had to go, I
> thought "well, at least I can still have vinegar". I make marinades out
> of it, use it in sweet n sours, cakes, salads, braising chicken, in
> stews and chilis. I go through a *lot* of it :-).

I'm allergic to sulfites. Which means many vinegars (not all vinegars, but
balsamic, white and red wine vinegars and cider vinegar) are out of the
question. Rice vinegar works. White vinegar (the bland stuff) works. We
mostly substitute *fresh* lemon juice or lime juice. Has to be fresh--most
"shelf stable" lemon and lime juices also have sulfites.

Wine is out, too, except the rare NSA/SF organic.

Sweet and sour can be made with pineapple juice as a base. Cakes don't need
it, really. Salads--try fresh lime. Chicken: Ditto. I manage to eat all the
things you're mentioning without vinegar and they really taste wonderful.

Jenrose

Jenrose
October 11th 03, 06:50 PM
"Elaine" > wrote in message
> In article >, Herself wrote:
> > Sue > wrote:
>
> >> I'd have to agree with Dawn. Are you sure it's just not irritating his
skin?

> > He's not smearing food on his face, but I'll double check next time to
> > make sure. Hopefully you all are right, and I'm just getting paranoid
>
> Also, have you tried various types of vinegar? Distilled vinegar
> that you would buy is commonly made from corn or wheat, and can be
> an allergy risk if you react to one of those. Cider vinegar, wine
> vinegar, etc are all going to be slightly different allergens.
> Generally if someone is reacting to *all* vinegar it's part of
> a yeast problem.

Most vinegars (particularly "food" type vinegars vs. the straight white
stuff) have sulfites in them, which is a very common allergen.

Jenrose

Herself
October 11th 03, 07:32 PM
Elaine > wrote:

> In article >, Herself wrote: > Sue
> > wrote:
>
> >> I'd have to agree with Dawn. Are you sure it's just not irritating his
> skin?
>
> > He's not smearing food on his face, but I'll double check next time to
> > make sure. Hopefully you all are right, and I'm just getting paranoid
>
> Also, have you tried various types of vinegar? Distilled vinegar that you
> would buy is commonly made from corn or wheat, and can be an allergy risk
> if you react to one of those. Cider vinegar, wine vinegar, etc are all
> going to be slightly different allergens. Generally if someone is reacting
> to *all* vinegar it's part of a yeast problem.
>
> Elaine (no grains, no dairy, no legumes)

Hmmm...he doesn't react to breads. He is reacting, so far, to balsamic
and malt vins (mmm...went to the chipper last night!). He isn't
supposed to be allergic to corn or wheat, that would just suck to add
another thing to the list. I'll keep an eye on him...
--
'Tis Herself

Herself
October 11th 03, 07:44 PM
Jenrose > wrote:

> > I love vinegar. Seriously. When I found out tomatoes had to go, I
> > thought "well, at least I can still have vinegar". I make marinades out
> > of it, use it in sweet n sours, cakes, salads, braising chicken, in
> > stews and chilis. I go through a *lot* of it :-).
>
> I'm allergic to sulfites. Which means many vinegars (not all vinegars, but
> balsamic, white and red wine vinegars and cider vinegar) are out of the
> question. Rice vinegar works. White vinegar (the bland stuff) works. We
> mostly substitute *fresh* lemon juice or lime juice. Has to be fresh--most
> "shelf stable" lemon and lime juices also have sulfites.

I never thought of sulfites...I guess it's time for a test :-).

> Wine is out, too, except the rare NSA/SF organic.

Oh, god, no...please don't tell me I have to cut out wine! :-) I guess
in a toss up between wine and vinegar...oooo, tough one... :-)

> Sweet and sour can be made with pineapple juice as a base. Cakes don't need
> it, really. Salads--try fresh lime. Chicken: Ditto. I manage to eat all the
> things you're mentioning without vinegar and they really taste wonderful.

I'll write you for help later on, then, if it's what it turns out to be.
Pineapple juice...that sounds lovely for a sweet and sour....
--
'Tis Herself

Elaine
October 12th 03, 02:26 AM
In article >, Herself wrote:
> Elaine > wrote:

>> Also, have you tried various types of vinegar? Distilled vinegar that you
>> would buy is commonly made from corn or wheat, and can be an allergy risk
>> if you react to one of those. Cider vinegar, wine vinegar, etc are all
>> going to be slightly different allergens. Generally if someone is reacting
>> to *all* vinegar it's part of a yeast problem.

> Hmmm...he doesn't react to breads. He is reacting, so far, to balsamic
> and malt vins (mmm...went to the chipper last night!). He isn't
> supposed to be allergic to corn or wheat, that would just suck to add
> another thing to the list. I'll keep an eye on him...

Hrm, balsamic is pretty likely to be grape/sulphite, since it
concentrates all the sulfites. I'd keep an eye on him and try
other vinegar types. If he tolerates distilled vinegar a lot
of processed foods that use vinegar will be accessible to you.

Good luck

Elaine

Herself
October 12th 03, 10:20 AM
Elaine > wrote:

> Hrm, balsamic is pretty likely to be grape/sulphite, since it
> concentrates all the sulfites. I'd keep an eye on him and try
> other vinegar types. If he tolerates distilled vinegar a lot
> of processed foods that use vinegar will be accessible to you.

One question...aren't there sulfites in apricots, when they're dried?
He goes through apricots like mad, with no reactions...

I'd love to have some processed foods, but since he's also allergic to
egg, dairy, and tomatoes, most are out of the queston.

Thanks!
--
'Tis Herself

Elaine
October 12th 03, 06:50 PM
In article >, Herself wrote:

> I'd love to have some processed foods, but since he's also allergic to
> egg, dairy, and tomatoes, most are out of the queston.

I meant things like olives, capers, pickles, mayonaise,
mustard, salad dressing, etc. Vinegar is very commonly
used in increase acidity for preserved foods as well.

Egg and dairy free is hard, you have my sympathy. I try
very hard to avoid too many eggs. Egg, grain, legume
and dairy free is a slightly depressing thought for me.

Elaine

Elaine
October 12th 03, 06:53 PM
In article >, Herself wrote:
> One question...aren't there sulfites in apricots, when they're dried?
> He goes through apricots like mad, with no reactions...

Oops, I forgot this part. Yes, apricots are usually sulfured, unless
they've turned very dark. In balsamic vinegar wine with sulfites added
is concentrated. I'm not sure what the comparitive sulphite levels
are.

Elaine

Herself
October 12th 03, 09:43 PM
Elaine > wrote:

> In article >, Herself wrote:
> >
> > I'd love to have some processed foods, but since he's also allergic to
> > egg, dairy, and tomatoes, most are out of the queston.
>
> I meant things like olives, capers, pickles, mayonaise,
> mustard, salad dressing, etc. Vinegar is very commonly
> used in increase acidity for preserved foods as well.

Crap. Capers. He loves capers. Would go through a whole jar in a
sitting if we let him. And pickles. Argh. I'll give him some with his
bagel in the morning and we'll see about breakouts. Didn't have time
tonight, went with a pan-seared salmon with sour cream (Tofutti) and
dill sauce. Slurp.

> Egg and dairy free is hard, you have my sympathy. I try
> very hard to avoid too many eggs. Egg, grain, legume
> and dairy free is a slightly depressing thought for me.

It's a lot to handle. On the plus side, we know exactly what we are
eating, and have all lost bad weight because of it (except P, who of
course is still putting on weight and burning those baby calories).
--
'Tis Herself

Herself
October 12th 03, 09:43 PM
Elaine > wrote:

> In article >, Herself wrote:
> > One question...aren't there sulfites in apricots, when they're dried?
> > He goes through apricots like mad, with no reactions...
>
> Oops, I forgot this part. Yes, apricots are usually sulfured, unless
> they've turned very dark. In balsamic vinegar wine with sulfites added
> is concentrated. I'm not sure what the comparitive sulphite levels

He had some today...no breakout. I'll make sure that they are/not
sulfured. If they are, off to the health food store :-).
--
'Tis Herself

Phoebe & Allyson
October 12th 03, 11:11 PM
Herself wrote:

>>>One question...aren't there sulfites in apricots, when they're dried?
>>>He goes through apricots like mad, with no reactions...
>
> He had some today...no breakout. I'll make sure that they are/not
> sulfured. If they are, off to the health food store :-).

I haven't seen unsulfured apricots even at my local health
food store in years, probably because they look like dried
ears. :) And you could spend 20 minutes gnawing on one, if
you don't rehydrate them first. But when I thought they
tasted good. If you find any, can you tell me where you got
them?

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Herself
October 13th 03, 09:10 AM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:

> I haven't seen unsulfured apricots even at my local health
> food store in years, probably because they look like dried
> ears. :) And you could spend 20 minutes gnawing on one, if
> you don't rehydrate them first. But when I thought they
> tasted good. If you find any, can you tell me where you got
> them?

Dried ears..heh.

I'm pretty sure I saw them in Wild Oats. Do you have one of those, or a
Whole Foods near you?
--
'Tis Herself

Elaine
October 13th 03, 05:43 PM
In article >, Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
> I haven't seen unsulfured apricots even at my local health
> food store in years, probably because they look like dried
> ears. :)
>If you find any, can you tell me where you got
> them?

Sweet Energy, the place I ordered your birthday dried
fruit from carries them. They also have unsulphured,
unsugared pinepple rings. I'll admit though, that
not only do they look like dried ears - they taste
like something you would find on a dimsum cart and
be too scared to ask what it was. They're good - just
completely unlike any other dried pineapple I've ever
eaten.

Elaine

Phoebe & Allyson
October 14th 03, 12:54 AM
Herself wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I saw them in Wild Oats.

I'll have to look more carefully the next time I'm there.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Anonymommmy
October 15th 03, 04:40 AM
I bought some at Trader Joe's a few months ago.

Anonymommmy
DD 9/02

Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
> Herself wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure I saw them in Wild Oats.
>
> I'll have to look more carefully the next time I'm there.
>
> Phoebe :)

H Schinske
October 15th 03, 08:32 PM
wrote:

>I haven't seen unsulfured apricots even at my local health
>food store in years, probably because they look like dried
>ears. :) And you could spend 20 minutes gnawing on one, if
>you don't rehydrate them first.

The ones we get are just as soft as the sulfured ones. It's true they aren't as
pretty, but they aren't at all tough to eat. Maybe the technology has improved,
or the turnover is greater, or something.

--Helen