PDA

View Full Version : 7-month WBV (long-ish)

Belphoebe
October 10th 03, 07:43 PM
We just got home from DS's seven-month WBV (okay, his six-month visit, one
month late!). DS turned seven months this past Wednesday (10-8).

The stats: At birth he weighed 6 lbs 14 oz. and was 20 inches long. At 6
weeks, he was 10.2 lbs, 22.25". Ten weeks: 13 lbs, 23.25". Today:
(drumroll) 19.3 lbs, 28.25". Our big boy (snf)!

The ped was happy with all his milestones--reflexes, motor skills, etc. She
gave us a scrip for flouride (we live in a town that doesn't flouridate),
and though we took it, we don't plan to use it, having read a recent article
about flouride causing developmental problems.

She asked us whether we let him sleep in our bed, and since we already know
she's anti-cosleeping, we said we keep him in a bedside cosleeper. (We used
to have one, but found keeping him in the bed worked much better for us.)

DS got two shots, and unfortunately a nursing student did it, and she wasn't
very good at it, giving the shots slowly and taking a long time between the
first and the second. Poor guy was screaming until I was finally able to
grab him from the table and nurse him. If there's a student with the nurse
the next time we come in for shots, I'm going to insist that the nurse do
it.

At least the ped seems to have changed her tune re. starting solids at 4
months. When we indicated that he was getting mostly breastmilk and had
just started getting fruits and veggies, she said that's great--they
recommend starting solid foods 6 months or after.

Little bug fell asleep on the way home and is still asleep now. Hope he
won't feel too crummy this afternoon. :(

Belphoebe

Phoebe & Allyson
October 11th 03, 01:18 AM
Belphoebe wrote:

> we don't plan to use it, having read a recent article
> about flouride causing developmental problems.

Do you remember where you saw it? Our new ped recommends
fluoride drops starting at 6 months for babies not on solids
(and thus not drinking fluoridated water).

Phoebe :)

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Belphoebe
October 11th 03, 02:42 AM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Belphoebe wrote:
>
> > we don't plan to use it, having read a recent article
> > about flouride causing developmental problems.
>
> Do you remember where you saw it? Our new ped recommends
> fluoride drops starting at 6 months for babies not on solids
> (and thus not drinking fluoridated water).

"Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show"

<http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?objid=d1d1366d000000f7393bef9
e0a54d034>

or <http://tinyurl.com/m1wr>

Belphoebe

Erin
October 11th 03, 06:11 PM
I'm a lurker who's been enjoying reading up on bfing tips on this group
while waiting for labor to kick in (I'm at 38 weeks now). Just wanted to
comment that the study mentioned strikes me as very likely being junk
science. In the very least it's "junk reporting." It looks at two villages
in China (rural villages in China not being known for overall great public
health), and the article doesn't actually state if they controlled for other
factors that very well could effect IQ, such as the basic nutrition and
health of populations in each area. Also, the assertion of "flouirde = low
iq" is really sensationalistic, given the lack of details about such basic
things as the level of flouride individuals in the study were exposed to. In
other words, it doesn't really explain if the levels were insanely high and
therefore toxic, or the low level you'd find in the typical town in the US
that flouridates its water. And finally, one of the web pages that displays
the article shows that it was fed from the "Flouride Action Network." This
group obviously has an anti-flouridation agenda, so can't be seen as a
source of unbiased info.

I'm not saying that choosing to skip flouride drops isn't necessarily a good
decision for your baby. I am saying that the cited article makes it very
difficult to make an informed decision about that. The CDC recommends that
a number of factors be taken into consideration before giving flouride
supps -- check out their guides at
http://www.cdc.gov/OralHealth/factsheets/fl-supplements.htm

Best, Erin

"Belphoebe" > wrote in message

> "Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> > Belphoebe wrote:
> >
> > > we don't plan to use it, having read a recent article
> > > about flouride causing developmental problems.
> >
> > Do you remember where you saw it? Our new ped recommends
> > fluoride drops starting at 6 months for babies not on solids
> > (and thus not drinking fluoridated water).
>
> "Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show"

<http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?objid=d1d1366d000000f7393bef9
> e0a54d034>
>
> or <http://tinyurl.com/m1wr>
>
> Belphoebe

Kathy Cole
October 13th 03, 02:38 AM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:42:44 GMT, "Belphoebe" > wrote:

> "Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show"
>
> <http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?objid=d1d1366d000000f7393bef9
> e0a54d034>
>
> or <http://tinyurl.com/m1wr>

Fluoride Action Network is profoundly unlikely to publish a summary of a
study that didn't say fluoride sucks.

And 'Fluoride' is not a journal that PubMed (the US National Library of
Medicine) indexes, which is not a good sign.

I'd be very skeptical of that or any other popular press article.

Belphoebe
October 13th 03, 01:29 PM
"Kathy Cole" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:42:44 GMT, "Belphoebe" > wrote:
>
> > "Fluoride Linked to Low IQ, Studies Show"

<http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?objid=d1d1366d000000f7393bef9
> > e0a54d034>
> >
> > or <http://tinyurl.com/m1wr>
>
> Fluoride Action Network is profoundly unlikely to publish a summary of a
> study that didn't say fluoride sucks.
>
> And 'Fluoride' is not a journal that PubMed (the US National Library of
> Medicine) indexes, which is not a good sign.
>
> I'd be very skeptical of that or any other popular press article.

Point taken--but I'm still not going to be in a hurry to give my baby
flouride drops. I will of course research the topic further, though.

Belphoebe