PDA

View Full Version : getting back to exclusive breastfeeding

Anne Rogers
October 11th 03, 11:46 AM
brief history:-

started off exclusively breastfeeding, there were some weight gain issues,
but we solved them, then when ds was 17 weeks I was admitted to hospital
due to postnatal depressions, after a week in hospital his weight had
dropped 3oz and I was feeling awful, we started to give formula, mainly so
I could try and sleep through the night (I couldn't but it was more
restful not feeding him). His weight gain has picked up dramatically, he
put on a pound in a week. Now I am home from hospital, but my supply is
very low, he's currently on about 4 bottles of formula per day, plus a
couple of breastfeeds, I also express a little when someone else is giving
him a bottle, over the whole day this gives him a bottle of breastmilk.
I've not been feeding him fully for nearly 3 weeks now. I want to get back
to feeding him as much as I can myself, and I'm not really sure how to do
it! Help!

-----------
Anne Rogers

Judy King
October 11th 03, 09:25 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> brief history:-
>
> started off exclusively breastfeeding, there were some weight gain issues,
> but we solved them, then when ds was 17 weeks I was admitted to hospital
> due to postnatal depressions, after a week in hospital his weight had
> dropped 3oz and I was feeling awful, we started to give formula, mainly so
> I could try and sleep through the night (I couldn't but it was more
> restful not feeding him). His weight gain has picked up dramatically, he
> put on a pound in a week. Now I am home from hospital, but my supply is
> very low, he's currently on about 4 bottles of formula per day, plus a
> couple of breastfeeds, I also express a little when someone else is giving
> him a bottle, over the whole day this gives him a bottle of breastmilk.
> I've not been feeding him fully for nearly 3 weeks now. I want to get back
> to feeding him as much as I can myself, and I'm not really sure how to do
> it! Help!
>
> -----------
> Anne Rogers

Sorry no advice on the feeding I'll leave that up to the experts. But good
luck with that PND, I have been there and know how awful it is. I hope your
treatment helps and that you are enjoying life once again.

One of the best things for me was a new mothers support group not a PND one,
tried that and it made me worse but a general one. A Godsend!

Good LUck

Judy

Andrea
October 12th 03, 11:02 AM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> brief history:-
>
> started off exclusively breastfeeding, there were some weight gain issues,
> but we solved them, then when ds was 17 weeks I was admitted to hospital
> due to postnatal depressions, after a week in hospital his weight had
> dropped 3oz and I was feeling awful, we started to give formula, mainly so
> I could try and sleep through the night (I couldn't but it was more
> restful not feeding him). His weight gain has picked up dramatically, he
> put on a pound in a week. Now I am home from hospital, but my supply is
> very low, he's currently on about 4 bottles of formula per day, plus a
> couple of breastfeeds, I also express a little when someone else is giving
> him a bottle, over the whole day this gives him a bottle of breastmilk.
> I've not been feeding him fully for nearly 3 weeks now. I want to get back
> to feeding him as much as I can myself, and I'm not really sure how to do
> it! Help!
>
> -----------
> Anne Rogers

Hi Anne,

I would guess that you should drop one formula feed, then give your body
time to adjust to the demand, and do the same with all the feeds gradually.
I give Kamron the odd bottle of formula, and he now on solids x2 a day. I
tried everything, but after having a baby that slept well all night, and was
ok on his boobymilk, to a non-stop crying baby, who fed non-stop for more
than 2 weeks, I did it and i'm glad.
He loves the food I give him.

Good luck Anne,
--