PDA

View Full Version : More milk on right than left?

Kathy
October 12th 03, 06:44 PM
Here I am with yet another question...

I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much. I
never really would've noticed it by just bf'ing my baby...I only noticed
because when I pump I can actually see the milk coming out.

Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
worrying myself over nothing?

One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?

Thanks once again for your help!
Kathy

Shannon G
October 12th 03, 07:08 PM
> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
> milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much. I
> never really would've noticed it by just bf'ing my baby...I only noticed
> because when I pump I can actually see the milk coming out.
>
> Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
> amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
> worrying myself over nothing?

I've heard it is very common. I too pump 2X the amount on the right as I do
on the left. I let DD nurse on the left while I pump on the right in order
to optimize my pumping efforts. I know DD is more efficient that the pump
at getting out the milk. FWIW, my left breast is a bit smaller than the
right, even before nursing.

> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
> just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
> bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
> for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
> the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
> I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
> as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?

I never worried about that except for the first few weeks of engorgement
when the first 2 ozs looked like water. I never saved that as DD was gassy
and I suffered from OAL. If you have a choice, I'd probably collect the 2
ozs. from one breast.

Shannon

Anne Rogers
October 12th 03, 08:00 PM
> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
> just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
> bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
> for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
> the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
> I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
> as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?

if you pump after a feed, you'll get super high quality milk

what I used to do was pump after almost every feed, I'd get about 1.5oz
from both breasts, I stored it in 6oz lots as that seemed to be the amount
ds ate. For what reason are you building up a stash? Even at the rate I
pumped it grows very slowly and when I needed to fall back on it it ran
out very quickly.

I think the my left side produces more than the right, but I'm not sure.

Jacqui Culverwell
October 12th 03, 08:52 PM
I was the same - loads more milk on the right than the left. I theorised
that if DD/DS were happy and content after a feed, then they'd got enough
milk out. Babies are more effective than pumps at getting milk.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but my
understanding of milk production is that once the let-down has happened and
the hind-milk is coming through, that milk is made there and then. That
means that as long as the baby stays latched on and suckling, milk is being
produced (although I found that to be a slow process compared to the first
part of the feed). As a baby is more effective at suckling than a pump, the
baby will continue to get milk from you, whereas with the pump you may
appear to run dry.

Jacqui

(I have posted before as Matt C (DH), but this is the REAL me!!)

"Kathy" > wrote in message

> Here I am with yet another question...
>
> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
> milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much. I
> never really would've noticed it by just bf'ing my baby...I only noticed
> because when I pump I can actually see the milk coming out.
>
> Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
> amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
> worrying myself over nothing?
>
> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
> just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
> bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
> for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
> the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
> I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
> as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?
>
> Thanks once again for your help!
> Kathy

Phoebe & Allyson
October 12th 03, 09:07 PM
Kathy wrote:

> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
> milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much.

That happens to me, too, but my left produces more than the
right. If I assiduously nurse on the right side for a day,
I can pump more the next day (so both sides produce about
the same amount for the pump). It's normal, and I don't
worry about it.

> do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making?

I wouldn't arbitrarily stop at one ounce from one side.
When I pump one side at a time, I stop after 2 letdowns or
when I can't feel any more "full" spots on that side.
Usually that's more than an ounce.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Phoebe & Allyson
October 12th 03, 09:11 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

> if you pump after a feed, you'll get super high quality milk

If I pump after a feed, I get no milk at all. :) On the
other hand, I can pump for an eternity (more than 30
minutes), then latch the Caterpillar on and hear milk
running down her throat within seconds. If I pump in the
morning before I leave for work, then top her off with the
higher-fat milk that's left, she can go longer without
needing a bottle.

Same theory, but different things work for different people.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Kathy
October 12th 03, 09:57 PM
Anne wrote:

>For what reason are you building up a
>stash? Even at the rate I pumped it grows
>very slowly and when I needed to fall back
>on it it ran out very quickly.

I'm a SAHM, so really I don't need a stash at all...but I wanted to have
some milk available in the freezer for an occasional night out with dh,
as well as for any emergencies that might arise that would keep me away
from DD for some reason.

We actually haven't given DD a bottle yet, but will be trying it soon.
I'm freezing the milk in small portions (2oz) until we know how much she
would typically take.

Thanks very much for your help!
Kathy

Kathy
October 12th 03, 10:01 PM
Phoebe wrote:

>I wouldn't arbitrarily stop at one ounce
>from one side. When I pump one side at a
>time, I stop after 2 letdowns or when I
>can't feel any more "full" spots on that
>side. Usually that's more than an ounce.

That's what I thought...from now on I'll stick with one side instead of
switching sides at the half way point.

Question: Is a "letdown" when a bunch of milk comes all at once? I
mean when I pump I'll get a lot of milk, and then nothing or some
dribbles, and then a lot of milk again. Am I right that the "lot of
milk" is a letdown? I don't think I've actually felt one yet with
DD...but maybe that will come in time? (She will be 1 month tomorrow).

Thanks for your help...
Kathy

Irrational Number
October 13th 03, 03:11 AM
Kathy wrote:

> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...

I always have this. The left one produces 3 oz. at most.
The right one varies between 1 oz. to 5 oz., but it's
almost always double the left.

> Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
> amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
> worrying myself over nothing?

I wouldn't worry about it. What I try to do is always
start Pillbug on the left breast to stimulate it to
produce more. That hasn't changed anything! But, I'm
able to pump enough and nurse him enough, so I'm not
worried about the disparity.

> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making?

I also wouldn't worry about this. If you're making a
stash to use *occasionally*, then if once in a while,
baby gets a bit more foremilk, that doesn't matter. If
you're like me, pumping 20 oz. a day at work for the
nanny the next day, well, it all evens out anyway.

-- Anita --
Pillbug is 4 months, about 20 pounds!

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Anne Rogers
October 13th 03, 03:53 AM
> > if you pump after a feed, you'll get super high quality milk
>
> If I pump after a feed, I get no milk at all. :) On the
> other hand, I can pump for an eternity (more than 30
> minutes), then latch the Caterpillar on and hear milk
> running down her throat within seconds. If I pump in the
> morning before I leave for work, then top her off with the
> higher-fat milk that's left, she can go longer without
> needing a bottle.
>
> Same theory, but different things work for different people.

:-), you mentioned a while back you never let down for a pump, I never
did either, I used to have a medela mini electric, but it broke and we
exchanged it for an isis, I got a mega quick let down with the petal
insert in, but as it gave me sore nipples I stopped using it, I still get
one pretty quick without, just a thought...

Anne Rogers
October 13th 03, 03:56 AM
> I'm a SAHM, so really I don't need a stash at all...but I wanted to have
> some milk available in the freezer for an occasional night out with dh,
> as well as for any emergencies that might arise that would keep me away
> from DD for some reason.
so am I (at the moment), I was building up a stash so he got ebm when I
start work, but it got used :-(

> We actually haven't given DD a bottle yet, but will be trying it soon.
> I'm freezing the milk in small portions (2oz) until we know how much she
> would typically take.

very sensible!

Phoebe & Allyson
October 13th 03, 04:34 AM
Kathy wrote:

> Question: Is a "letdown" when a bunch of milk comes all at once? I
> mean when I pump I'll get a lot of milk, and then nothing or some
> dribbles, and then a lot of milk again. Am I right that the "lot of
> milk" is a letdown?

Exactly!

> I don't think I've actually felt one yet with
> DD...but maybe that will come in time? (She will be 1 month tomorrow).
I think I started feeling them around 10 weeks.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Phoebe & Allyson
October 13th 03, 04:39 AM
Anne Rogers wrote:

> :-), you mentioned a while back you never let down for a pump

When I started being able to feel letdowns, as opposed to
going by how much milk I could see, it looked like I
actually get more letdowns for the pump than while nursing.
(I often feel 2-3 letdowns pumping, but rarely feel more
than one while nursing.) But I don't get much milk at each
one. The other day, I waited about 4 hours before pumping,
was completely engorged, and got a huge letdown. Maybe I'm
one of the women who does better with less frequent pumping,
but I've been too chicken to try it out. Nothing worse than
coming home with 6 ounces when she's drunk 12.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

K.B.
October 14th 03, 02:26 AM
I'm having the same problem. My baby only likes the left side. He complains
when I make him nurse on the right side. I think he has to work harder for
the milk. The other day I went to pump and I got nothing out of my right
side, the side he doesn't like. I was getting upset thinking it dried up on
me. That breast is alot smaller than the other side too. I had my Dr. look
at it and he said it was fine. I am totally lopsided in a bra. I sat down
with a book and mothers milk tea and pumped for a long time on the small
side. I also made the baby eat at least for a few minutes on that side too.
I seem to have some milk in that side now but I really have a hard time
giving it to the baby. He hates it for some reason. He is getting a temper
and bites my nipple hard. He gets so rough with that breast.
I'm a SAHM also and I only pump to keep a stash in the freezer for
emergencies. He won't even take a bottle so I'm not even using the milk. I
plan to use it in the future for cereal or a sippy cup.
Kris
"Kathy" > wrote in message

> Here I am with yet another question...
>
> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
> milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much. I
> never really would've noticed it by just bf'ing my baby...I only noticed
> because when I pump I can actually see the milk coming out.
>
> Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
> amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
> worrying myself over nothing?
>
> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
> just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
> bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
> for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
> the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
> I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
> as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?
>
> Thanks once again for your help!
> Kathy

Chookie
October 17th 03, 10:12 AM
In article >,
(Kathy) wrote:

> I notice when I pump (with an Avent Isis) that my right breast seems to
> produce a lot more milk than the left...or at least it releases more
> milk for the pump than the left...I'd say close to twice as much. I
> never really would've noticed it by just bf'ing my baby...I only noticed
> because when I pump I can actually see the milk coming out.
>
> Is this bad? Is there something I can or should do to increase the
> amount of milk that my left breast produces? Or is it normal and I am
> worrying myself over nothing?

Normal -- we're all slightly lopsided in terms of size and production. I
never pumped, but have known since DS's birth that my left breast produces
more milk than the right. I even leaked more colostrum from that side while
pg!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Irene
October 17th 03, 03:42 PM
"K.B." > wrote in message . net>...
> I'm having the same problem. My baby only likes the left side. He complains
> when I make him nurse on the right side. I think he has to work harder for
> the milk. The other day I went to pump and I got nothing out of my right
> side, the side he doesn't like. I was getting upset thinking it dried up on
> me. That breast is alot smaller than the other side too. I had my Dr. look
> at it and he said it was fine. I am totally lopsided in a bra. I sat down
> with a book and mothers milk tea and pumped for a long time on the small
> side. I also made the baby eat at least for a few minutes on that side too.
> I seem to have some milk in that side now but I really have a hard time
> giving it to the baby. He hates it for some reason. He is getting a temper
> and bites my nipple hard. He gets so rough with that breast.
> I'm a SAHM also and I only pump to keep a stash in the freezer for
> emergencies. He won't even take a bottle so I'm not even using the milk. I
> plan to use it in the future for cereal or a sippy cup.
> Kris

Just wanted to let you know, it's not the end of the world to be
one-sided! I tend to stay away from advising women on how *not* to
get that way, since I was unsuccessful myself. (I decided it was
better to be lopsided than to get mastitis, since it looked like that
was where I was headed when I tried to even out, early on.) There are
even some benefits - you never have to keep track of which side to
use! It was a gradual thing, of course - I didn't completely give up
on the second side until about a year into it. For a while, he seemed
to prefer the slow side when he mainly wanted to comfort nurse, so
that worked well for us. Strangely enough, now that I'm pg, I've
finally evened out, even though I haven't started nursing on the other
side again!

Of course, now what I'm wondering, is what's going to happen if I end
up tandemming! (Sorry to hijack the thread!)

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/04

Irene
October 17th 03, 03:47 PM
(Kathy) wrote in message >...

> One other question...do I need to worry about whether I am producing
> foremilk or hind milk for the freezer stash I am making? Right now I am
> just pumping once every other day, making a small stash of 2oz freezer
> bags...I usually pump 1oz from one breast, and then switch to the other
> for another ounce, even though I probably could keep going a bit more on
> the first breast (especially if I start with the right). Does this mean
> I am only getting the foremilk and the bottle I am making isn't as good
> as if it contained the higher fat hind milk?

Well, remember, the baby needs both hindmilk and foremilk, so it
doesn't really matter that much. Plus, it's a gradual change.

Irene

K.B.
October 18th 03, 02:52 AM
Will just one side be enough milk?
Kris
"Irene" > wrote in message
om...
> "K.B." > wrote in message
. net>...
> > I'm having the same problem. My baby only likes the left side. He
complains
> > when I make him nurse on the right side. I think he has to work harder
for
> > the milk. The other day I went to pump and I got nothing out of my right
> > side, the side he doesn't like. I was getting upset thinking it dried up
on
> > me. That breast is alot smaller than the other side too. I had my Dr.
look
> > at it and he said it was fine. I am totally lopsided in a bra. I sat
down
> > with a book and mothers milk tea and pumped for a long time on the small
> > side. I also made the baby eat at least for a few minutes on that side
too.
> > I seem to have some milk in that side now but I really have a hard time
> > giving it to the baby. He hates it for some reason. He is getting a
temper
> > and bites my nipple hard. He gets so rough with that breast.
> > I'm a SAHM also and I only pump to keep a stash in the freezer for
> > emergencies. He won't even take a bottle so I'm not even using the milk.
> > plan to use it in the future for cereal or a sippy cup.
> > Kris
>
> Just wanted to let you know, it's not the end of the world to be
> one-sided! I tend to stay away from advising women on how *not* to
> get that way, since I was unsuccessful myself. (I decided it was
> better to be lopsided than to get mastitis, since it looked like that
> was where I was headed when I tried to even out, early on.) There are
> even some benefits - you never have to keep track of which side to
> use! It was a gradual thing, of course - I didn't completely give up
> on the second side until about a year into it. For a while, he seemed
> to prefer the slow side when he mainly wanted to comfort nurse, so
> that worked well for us. Strangely enough, now that I'm pg, I've
> finally evened out, even though I haven't started nursing on the other
> side again!
>
> Of course, now what I'm wondering, is what's going to happen if I end
> up tandemming! (Sorry to hijack the thread!)
>
> Irene
> mom to Thomas 7/01
> #2 EDD 4/04

H Schinske
October 18th 03, 05:07 AM
>Will just one side be enough milk?
>Kris

Sure. Look at all the women who breastfeed twins.

--Helen

Irene
October 20th 03, 02:31 PM
"K.B." > wrote in message >...
> Will just one side be enough milk?
> Kris

Considering that ds has never had a drop of formula, and wasn't real
big on solids until after he was a year old, I'd say, barring any
other problems, yes. (Obviously, if someone already had supply
issues, that could be different.)

Irene