PDA

View Full Version : c-section pain when BFing

Jacqui
October 13th 03, 04:48 AM
I've had a lot of trouble with my c-section scar, one way and another,
but I thought my hassles were ended in the last few days when the
incision healed and the infection went. I'm feeling a little run down
generally, and my doctor wonders if I have an ulcer, as I have had
severe stomach pains for a few weeks now (high up, actual stomach, not
belly). Just now (4.30ish) I started to give T his night feed (he had
one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around my internal
scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or both. It
honestly was worse than the first labour contractions. I've taken some
Voltarol (sodium diclofenac), and T has gone back to sleep, but he will
wake up again once he realises he didn't get much of a feed, and I'm
rather worried about how badly it's going to hurt when he tries again.

Any ideas why this would suddenly start hurting so much? The uterine
contractions when BFing after his birth were bearable, not even half as
painful as this. T is 11 weeks tomorrow, surely the 'shrinking back' is
all done?

Jac

azure
October 13th 03, 08:28 AM
sorry, must b quick, but get checked for gall stones

"Jacqui" > wrote in message
. 7...
> I've had a lot of trouble with my c-section scar, one way and another,
> but I thought my hassles were ended in the last few days when the
> incision healed and the infection went. I'm feeling a little run down
> generally, and my doctor wonders if I have an ulcer, as I have had
> severe stomach pains for a few weeks now (high up, actual stomach, not
> belly). Just now (4.30ish) I started to give T his night feed (he had
> one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around my internal
> scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or both. It
> honestly was worse than the first labour contractions. I've taken some
> Voltarol (sodium diclofenac), and T has gone back to sleep, but he will
> wake up again once he realises he didn't get much of a feed, and I'm
> rather worried about how badly it's going to hurt when he tries again.
>
> Any ideas why this would suddenly start hurting so much? The uterine
> contractions when BFing after his birth were bearable, not even half as
> painful as this. T is 11 weeks tomorrow, surely the 'shrinking back' is
> all done?
>
> Jac

---

Shunaari
October 13th 03, 05:45 PM
Jacqui > wrote in message >...
> I've had a lot of trouble with my c-section scar, one way and another,
> but I thought my hassles were ended in the last few days when the
> incision healed and the infection went. I'm feeling a little run down
> generally, and my doctor wonders if I have an ulcer, as I have had
> severe stomach pains for a few weeks now (high up, actual stomach, not
> belly). Just now (4.30ish) I started to give T his night feed (he had
> one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around my internal
> scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or both. It
> honestly was worse than the first labour contractions. I've taken some
> Voltarol (sodium diclofenac), and T has gone back to sleep, but he will
> wake up again once he realises he didn't get much of a feed, and I'm
> rather worried about how badly it's going to hurt when he tries again.
>
> Any ideas why this would suddenly start hurting so much? The uterine
> contractions when BFing after his birth were bearable, not even half as
> painful as this. T is 11 weeks tomorrow, surely the 'shrinking back' is
> all done?
>
> Jac

Hi Jac,

I too had a c-section in June this year and am breast feeding my 4
month old son very well. I breast fed from the day after I had the
c-section. I think I found it just that little bit easier because I
was determined to breast feed him and had that goal set in my mind.
You need to prop your self up with lots of pillows - behind your back
to support it, and under the baby to stop him/her putting pressure on
the scar. It can be very painful getting in and out of bed at night
frequently to feed them. Just make sure that you get out of bed slowly
and by rolling yourself over toyour side and then pushing your self
up. It gets better in time, trust me it does. I fully understand what
you are going through at the moment.

Now, I think you have got acid building up inside you and the cause of
this is most probably the voltarol tablets. On day 6 after my
c-section I fell extremely sick. I was constantly throwing up for 5
days and not being able to eat anything, feeling dizzy all the time
and found myself lying in bed almost all day and night. I was not able
to take in solids at all, as I was throwing it up soon after I had
taken it and also fluids just didnt want to stay inside me. I called
my GP, a few times and what she advised me just didnt seem to work.
Then I had to call in an emergency to doctor to visit me at home. When
he came, he told me to stop taking the voltarol tablets (painkillers)
and just take normal paracetamol. He gave me some tablets to take -
just two and instantly the nauseasness went and I was able to eat
again! I felt like I had come out of death as I was so seriously ill I
thought I would never come round. I dont know waht these tablets where
that he had given me, but they worked. Also the paracetamol helped
ease the pain where the incision was made. By 4 - 6 weeks the pain
will ease off and you will feel good as before. Talk to your doctor
and try to get off those VIOLENT VOLTAROL tablets and you will feel
much better.

Please let us know how you get along, I am interested to know.

Take care,

Shunaari

Taniwha grrrl
October 13th 03, 08:59 PM
Jacqui wrote:

I started to give T his night feed (he had
> one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around
my internal
> scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or
both.

Well that doesn't sound right, pain is a sign something is
wrong you need to listen to it. You need to go back to your
doctor, you may still have an internal infection, or the
wound may have opened up, or their could be a foreign object
there still form the surgery (it's happened before). You
should request a ultrasound scan, pain like that isn't
normal.
Seriously if I had that experience that you've just
described (Lydia was 12 weeks yesterday and I had a
c/section) I'd of had an ambulance called out by now for
fear the wound had come apart.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Mary W.
October 13th 03, 09:33 PM
Taniwha grrrl wrote:

> Jacqui wrote:
>
> I started to give T his night feed (he had
> > one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around
> my internal
> > scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or
> both.
>
> Well that doesn't sound right, pain is a sign something is
> wrong you need to listen to it. You need to go back to your
> doctor, you may still have an internal infection, or the
> wound may have opened up, or their could be a foreign object
> there still form the surgery (it's happened before). You
> should request a ultrasound scan, pain like that isn't
> normal.
> Seriously if I had that experience that you've just
> described (Lydia was 12 weeks yesterday and I had a
> c/section) I'd of had an ambulance called out by now for
> fear the wound had come apart.

I agree with Andrea. I never had that kind of pain with
my c-section scar. Yeah, some discomfort when I touched
it, and maybe some twinges early on (first few weeks)
but nothing unbearable.

Get it checked out.

Mary

October 15th 03, 11:08 PM
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:48:43 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
> wrote:

>I've had a lot of trouble with my c-section scar, one way and another,
>but I thought my hassles were ended in the last few days when the
>incision healed and the infection went. I'm feeling a little run down
>generally, and my doctor wonders if I have an ulcer, as I have had
>severe stomach pains for a few weeks now (high up, actual stomach, not
>belly). Just now (4.30ish) I started to give T his night feed (he had
>one before we went to bed, at 11.30) and the pain around my internal
>scar was so bad I thought I would pass out or throw up or both. It
>honestly was worse than the first labour contractions. I've taken some
>Voltarol (sodium diclofenac), and T has gone back to sleep, but he will
>wake up again once he realises he didn't get much of a feed, and I'm
>rather worried about how badly it's going to hurt when he tries again.

I can't speak about your c-section pain, but I did want to warn you
that voltarol can both cause and irritate ulcers. So if you're having
actual stomach pain, you should try to stop taking them. You should
also avoid aspirin and ibuprofin. Stick to Tylenol, which doesn't
irritate the stomach.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

--Aviva