PDA

View Full Version : WHO recs?

Herself
October 14th 03, 12:29 PM
Okay, I just got back from a playgroup, and there's an LC there who I
think might be blowing smoke. A woman with a 4-month old was talking to
her about giving her son some solids now, cause he just started wanting
to nurse at night after sleeping through for a while. The LC said that
it was okay to give some rice cereal. I said "Wait, I thought WHO recs
were 6 months?" and she said something like "There's a coda that if the
mom can't handle the extra nursing, then go ahead and give solids".

Opinions? Facts? I don't want her going around and saying things that
aren't true, esp since she trotted out her qualifications to me when we
were talking, making her sound quite...official.
--
'Tis Herself

Belphoebe
October 14th 03, 01:18 PM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> Okay, I just got back from a playgroup, and there's an LC there who I
> think might be blowing smoke. A woman with a 4-month old was talking to
> her about giving her son some solids now, cause he just started wanting
> to nurse at night after sleeping through for a while. The LC said that
> it was okay to give some rice cereal. I said "Wait, I thought WHO recs
> were 6 months?" and she said something like "There's a coda that if the
> mom can't handle the extra nursing, then go ahead and give solids".
>
> Opinions? Facts? I don't want her going around and saying things that
> aren't true, esp since she trotted out her qualifications to me when we
> were talking, making her sound quite...official.

I didn't notice any such coda. You can access the document ("Guiding
Principles for Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Child") at this page:

<http://www.paho.org/English/AD/FCH/NU/Guiding_Principles_CF.htm>

Belphoebe