PDA

View Full Version : B6 and Progesterone Cream

Dawn Lawson
October 14th 03, 07:13 PM
Michelle Podnar wrote:

> I have also posted on alt.infertility & alt.infertility.secondary (not to
> confuse people who frequent all of them)
>
> I have a few questions about the above. Well I have a very short luteal
> phase (8/9 days).

I dont' know this answer, but is Vitex safe to take when bfding? Vitex
agnus castus, or chaste tree berry.

> Secondly, I asked the pharmacists for progesterone cream, and they looked at
> me like I was from another planet. Anyone here know what TCOYF means? What
> are the names of the products? And can you get it in Canada?

Try a health food store. The actual level of progesterone in the creams
can be VERY low, though. I worked at a pharmacy and compounded prog
creams and suppositories, so that could be done, but would need an rx.

Also, for DD
> pregnancy, I was on Prometrium for 10 weeks, which was a pill. What do I do
> with cream? Where do I rub it?? Also, is this safe for BF?

cream usually goes on thin skin (arms, breasts, thighs)

I don't know what effect it would have on your supply, but natural prog
isn't harmful to your child (you produce it yourself) I'd personally
avoid provera and other synthetic progs, if I were TTC.

I hope someone can answer your other questions. ;-)
Dawn

Jan Andrea
October 14th 03, 07:20 PM
"Michelle Podnar" > wrote in message
.. .

I don't know anything about B6, I'm afraid.

> Secondly, I asked the pharmacists for progesterone cream, and they looked
at
> me like I was from another planet. Anyone here know what TCOYF means?
What
> are the names of the products? And can you get it in Canada? Also, for DD
> pregnancy, I was on Prometrium for 10 weeks, which was a pill. What do I
do
> with cream? Where do I rub it?? Also, is this safe for BF?

I used an OTC progesterone cream intended for menopausal women when we were
TTC -- my luteal phase was 10-11 days. I got it at WalMart in the vitamin
section, but I have no idea if it's available in Canada. I rubbed it on the
soles of my feet, but the palms of your hands are okay, too. I did notice a
slight drop in my supply, but nothing major.

Good luck!

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

Iuil
October 14th 03, 08:11 PM
"Dawn Lawson" wrote
> I dont' know this answer, but is Vitex safe to take when bfding? Vitex
> agnus castus, or chaste tree berry.

Definitely. I'm currently taking it in an effort to dampen down PCOS
symptoms. It's also a galactogue which is a nice side effect for me.

Jean
--
HOLLY: Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of
vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type

Dawn Lawson
October 14th 03, 08:31 PM
Iuil wrote:

> "Dawn Lawson" wrote
>
>>I dont' know this answer, but is Vitex safe to take when bfding? Vitex
>>agnus castus, or chaste tree berry.
>>

> Definitely. I'm currently taking it in an effort to dampen down PCOS
> symptoms. It's also a galactogue which is a nice side effect for me.

Really? Not sure a galactogue is what I want right now, but definately
PCOS lurks. Actually, if it would work on just the right side, then
fine ;-)

Vitex is quite well recognised for luteal phase defects.

The OP might wanna give it a try for a couple of cycles.

Dawn

Michelle Podnar
October 14th 03, 09:40 PM
I have also posted on alt.infertility & alt.infertility.secondary (not to
confuse people who frequent all of them)

I have a few questions about the above. Well I have a very short luteal
phase (8/9 days). DH & I are going to the RE, but not until the New Year,
so in the meantime, I want to see if there is anything I can do myself. I
read in TCOYF that taking 200 - 600 mg of B6 and day and progesterone cream
could help.

I went a few of the local drug store and picked up B6 tablets (250mg-the
highest dose I could find).... now should I start with a lower dose and work
my way up, or should I take one in the am and one in the pm? Also, is this
safe for BF?

Secondly, I asked the pharmacists for progesterone cream, and they looked at
me like I was from another planet. Anyone here know what TCOYF means? What
are the names of the products? And can you get it in Canada? Also, for DD
pregnancy, I was on Prometrium for 10 weeks, which was a pill. What do I do
with cream? Where do I rub it?? Also, is this safe for BF?

Thanks for any help.

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002

Spanannie
October 14th 03, 10:55 PM
Michelle,

Here's the link about bf and vitex
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbal-rem_c.html#vitex

Progesterone is approved by the AAP for nursing moms.

HTH,
Annie