PDA

View Full Version : Solo pumping possible?

Slave
October 15th 03, 02:10 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible to breastfeed via pumping only? How would
that effect the supply if one only pumps into bottles? Isn't there some
important aspect of breastfeeding with the baby on skin to skin that
increases supply? I am battling this question with my SIL. She thinks
breastfeeding will turn the child into a pervert and says when she has a
baby she will pump only.

Yes! I know the pervert thing is a really stupid perspective. I felt like
knocking her teeth out. She is very narrow minded and has no clue about
having children or BF. She's 30 and literally never been touched. Never had
a boyfriend and has no life. Still living with Mommy and Daddy.

Any info would be appreciated!

Diana TTC#1

--

Sue
October 15th 03, 05:39 AM

If she is not pregnant now or doesn't have a perspective husband, then why
bother? Don't stress yourself out trying to change her mind about it now. If
she ends up doing the marriage thing and kid thing, most likely her opinion
will change. Lots of people think they know what they will do when they have
a baby, but most don't have a clue until they are in that situation. At
least she is considering pumping.

When you get pregnant have your baby, perhaps she will see that
breastfeeding isn't what she expects and you can be a positive influence on
her. Even if you don't end up changing her mind, you have done your best by
providing the information.

You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make them drink. :o)

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Slave > wrote in message
et...
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to breastfeed via pumping only? How
would
> that effect the supply if one only pumps into bottles? Isn't there some
> important aspect of breastfeeding with the baby on skin to skin that
> increases supply? I am battling this question with my SIL. She thinks
> breastfeeding will turn the child into a pervert and says when she has a
> baby she will pump only.
>
> Yes! I know the pervert thing is a really stupid perspective. I felt like
> knocking her teeth out. She is very narrow minded and has no clue about
> having children or BF. She's 30 and literally never been touched. Never
had
> a boyfriend and has no life. Still living with Mommy and Daddy.
>
> Any info would be appreciated!
>
> Diana TTC#1
>
> --

Lara
October 15th 03, 06:12 AM
Slave > wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to breastfeed via pumping only? How would
> that effect the supply if one only pumps into bottles? Isn't there some
> important aspect of breastfeeding with the baby on skin to skin that
> increases supply? I am battling this question with my SIL. She thinks
> breastfeeding will turn the child into a pervert and says when she has a
> baby she will pump only.

I wonder whether she's dealt with abuse in her own childhood? This may
be the reason for her issues, so tread a little carefully - rational
arguments don't work very well against deep-seated feelings. At least
she's considering pumping; so long as one is committed, well-informed,
and naturally has a pretty good supply (and a good pump!), it can be
done.

One seed you might be able to plant is that exclusive pumping is much
easier once you've established a good supply in the beginning, and the
best way to do this is exclusive breastfeeding on cue in the early
weeks. Some people are open to this possibility even when they can't
imagine breastfeeding an older child - and after she's tried it, it's
her decision as to whether to continue or not. People often change their
minds dramatically on parenting issues once the baby is in their arms.
Ultimately, though, all you can do is offer information and support.

For more pumping resources, check out the yahoo group
pumpmoms
pump_moms
and EPers (my group)

Lara
EPing for Luke, twelve months and five days

Chookie
October 17th 03, 11:22 AM
In article >,
"Slave" > wrote:

> that effect the supply if one only pumps into bottles? Isn't there some
> important aspect of breastfeeding with the baby on skin to skin that
> increases supply? I am battling this question with my SIL. She thinks
> breastfeeding will turn the child into a pervert and says when she has a
> baby she will pump only.
>
> Yes! I know the pervert thing is a really stupid perspective. I felt like
> knocking her teeth out.

Did you laugh at her? I mean, was Queen Victoria a pervert? Jesus? Just
about anyone born before the 20th century was bfed, and the ones who weren't
all died.

> She is very narrow minded and has no clue about
> having children or BF. She's 30 and literally never been touched. Never had
> a boyfriend and has no life. Still living with Mommy and Daddy.

I personally would not bother talking to someone who is that far away from
having their own children. I would just set the good example in front of her
-- and feel free to laugh at her when she talks about bfing producing perverts!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

KC
October 18th 03, 12:37 AM
"Slave" > wrote in message >...
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to breastfeed via pumping only?

Some can, and some can't. I know others who could, but I was never
able to not give formula along with the pumped milk when I exclusively
pumped my first dd.

My mom bf me; that must be why I'm a pervert :-)

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com