PDA

View Full Version : paper diapers that don't leak?

zeldabee
October 17th 03, 08:43 PM
I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and I'm
*considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare. But
every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just go
with the territory?

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Sue
October 17th 03, 09:01 PM
No, leaking doesn't go with the territory with disposable diapers. Usually
that means the diaper isn't big enough or a proper fit. I used Luvs diapers
with all three of my girls and had no problems. The problem though is kids
are different shapes and sizes, so what works for one child may not work for
another. Also, in my experience, if the diaper is an off brand diaper then
they don't work as well. What brands have you tried?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

zeldabee > wrote in message
> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare.
But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
> with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
> recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just
go
> with the territory?
>
> --
> z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Nikki
October 17th 03, 09:02 PM
zeldabee wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for good
> non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just go with the territory?

My kids are generally in one size bigger then what the package states. I
think those weights on the package are screwy :-) I use the cheapest diaper
on the shelf and don't have leakage problems. Some diapers do work better
for one body type and not so well on another so you might have to
experiment.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

JennP
October 17th 03, 09:26 PM
"zeldabee" > wrote in message
> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare.
But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
> with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
> recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just
go
> with the territory?

Disposable diapers is not = to leaking.

It's a matter of experimenting with different brands and finding the sizes
that fit your baby. Just as you did with cloth.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Anne Rogers
October 17th 03, 10:15 PM
our experience is a leaky disposable is very rare, we had a few problems
at the start as we bought new baby size (3-6kg) our baby was 2.6kg and
they were too big, we should have bought premie size nappies, we're still
using this size (for trips out and child care) with no problems, we've
used a variety of brands, supermarket own mainly, I've found them all very
good, perhaps there is greater variety in the US?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Bruce and Jeanne
October 17th 03, 10:36 PM
zeldabee wrote:

> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare. But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
> with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
> recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just go
> with the territory?

Cloth diapers with diaper covers can leak, usually because the diaper
covers are either too large or too small. I assume that if disposable
diapers are the wrong size for the child they too will leak. So any
diaper system can have leaks.

I think it's just a matter of finding the correct size for your child.

Jeanne

Clisby
October 17th 03, 10:45 PM
zeldabee wrote:
> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare. But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
> with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
> recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just go
> with the territory?

That's interesting - I always assumed cloth diapers were leakier.
Anyhow, I didn't have a problem with leaking from disposables - maybe
you haven't found one that really fits quite right.

My favorite, BTW, is the Kroger store brand - I've found it fits better
(and the velcro-like closings work better) than Huggies.

Clisby

Jacqui
October 17th 03, 11:05 PM
Sue wibbled

> The problem though is kids are different shapes and sizes, so what
> works for one child may not work for another. Also, in my
> experience, if the diaper is an off brand diaper then they don't
> work as well.

Definitely a YMMV issue. T has terrible trouble with brand name nappies
((free) Pampers in the hospital, the one Huggies one we tried), and
great success with Boots and Tesco own-brands (pharmacy chain,
supermarket chain, for non-Brits). He's in reusables for most of the
day but we use disps at night and when we go out in the car - a "wet
nappy" wail is distracting enough to make DH crash the car, he reckons!

Jac

Michelle J. Haines
October 18th 03, 05:01 PM
In article >,
says...

> That's interesting - I always assumed cloth diapers were leakier.
> Anyhow, I didn't have a problem with leaking from disposables - maybe
> you haven't found one that really fits quite right.

I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
*shrug*

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!

zeldabee
October 18th 03, 09:56 PM
"Nikki" > wrote:
> zeldabee wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for good
> > non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just go with the territory?
>
> My kids are generally in one size bigger then what the package states. I
> think those weights on the package are screwy :-) I use the cheapest
> diaper on the shelf and don't have leakage problems. Some diapers do
> work better for one body type and not so well on another so you might
> have to experiment.

It seems that some people are saying it's more of a problem if they're too
small, and others say the opposite. Wonder how many packages of diapers
I'll end up with...

--

"Sue" > wrote:
> No, leaking doesn't go with the territory with disposable diapers.
> Usually that means the diaper isn't big enough or a proper fit. I used
> Luvs diapers with all three of my girls and had no problems. The problem
> though is kids are different shapes and sizes, so what works for one
> child may not work for another. Also, in my experience, if the diaper is
> an off brand diaper then they don't work as well. What brands have you
> tried?

I've tried Pampers, Rite Aid store brand, and another brand that I'm not
sure of. I just go by the size indicated on the package.

One problem is that they seem to be sold in large sized packages, so it's
not like I can buy a small quantity to try them out. Unfortunately, the
samples I got from the hospital and whatnot were all newborn size, which
are far too small.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Karlee in Kansas
October 18th 03, 10:38 PM
How many pounds is your little one??? I have huggies newborns (size 1 up
to 11 pounds) coming out of my ears (thanks mom!!! she buys them by the
case for me...long story), and I'm sure I could part with some of them if
you wanted to try a few of those. They are Huggies Ultra Trim, with the
"cloth like" cover, and velcro closures.

We used Huggies with DS because anything else he would break out in a rash
with, so we decided to use them with DD. We rarely have a blowout and
rarely leak. (I say rarely because sometimes she pees enough to make you
think that the hoover dam burst, and when she poos...once every three
days...its a LOT!!)

If you are interested in trying some Huggies (size one) email me at
mnkbrennan at charter dot net (reply-to addy is spam proofed) with your
snail mail addy and I'll send you some!

Hugs
Karlee in Kansas
mom to
Vincent (1-21-97)
Erin (8-29-03)

zeldabee wrote...

| It seems that some people are saying it's more of a problem if they're
too
| small, and others say the opposite. Wonder how many packages of diapers
| I'll end up with...
|
| --
| z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Nikki
October 18th 03, 11:03 PM
zeldabee wrote:

> It seems that some people are saying it's more of a problem if
> they're too small, and others say the opposite. Wonder how many
> packages of diapers I'll end up with...

I hate to say because it is all so individual but then I'm sure you aren't
living by my posts, Lol. Anway, I have long babies. One was pudgy (but not
butter ball), one was lean. Huggies were my least favorite so I'm assuming
they work better for not so long and lean. Even then they didn't leak but
didn't look as comfortable. If I've borrowed a pamper they work OK. Like I
said, I buy the cheapest, whatever they are. The ones with the crazy
looking chick (walmart maybe?) are very close to huggies IMO and so I
generally go with Luvs when there.

I once put Hunter's size 6 on Luke when he was just a few months old and it
didn't leak (and he had it on a while ;-) so I stand by to small = leakage,
lol.

Hope you don't have to buy to many!!

--

Nikki
Mama to Hunter and Luke

zeldabee
October 18th 03, 11:26 PM
"Karlee in Kansas" > wrote:
> How many pounds is your little one??? I have huggies newborns (size 1 up
> to 11 pounds) coming out of my ears (thanks mom!!! she buys them by the
> case for me...long story), and I'm sure I could part with some of them if
> you wanted to try a few of those. They are Huggies Ultra Trim, with the
> "cloth like" cover, and velcro closures.
>
> We used Huggies with DS because anything else he would break out in a
> rash with, so we decided to use them with DD. We rarely have a blowout
> and rarely leak. (I say rarely because sometimes she pees enough to make
> you think that the hoover dam burst, and when she poos...once every three
> days...its a LOT!!)
>
> If you are interested in trying some Huggies (size one) email me at
> mnkbrennan at charter dot net (reply-to addy is spam proofed) with your
> snail mail addy and I'll send you some!

Aw, thanks, that's nice...I'm pretty sure Bubeleh's around 12 lbs,
though--he's grown out of his 0-3month clothes, anyway. I won't know for
sure how much he weighs until his ped visit next Friday...

But someone else I know recommended Huggies...maybe I'll try them next.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Anne Rogers
October 19th 03, 12:12 AM

> Aw, thanks, that's nice...I'm pretty sure Bubeleh's around 12 lbs,
> though--he's grown out of his 0-3month clothes, anyway. I won't know for
> sure how much he weighs until his ped visit next Friday...

I missed your birth story/announcement on mkp, but I've just found it on
google, it sounds like breastfeeding is going really well for you, if
you've made it to 12 pounds, well done. We've also just made it to 12
pounds but at 20 weeks!

I just wanted to reply and give you a big (((((((hug))))))) sounds like
things are tough for you right now. I really respect you for coming of
meds so you can breastfeed your baby.

Clisby
October 19th 03, 12:46 AM
Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
>>That's interesting - I always assumed cloth diapers were leakier.
>>Anyhow, I didn't have a problem with leaking from disposables - maybe
>>you haven't found one that really fits quite right.
>

> I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
> *shrug*
>
> Michelle
> Flutist

I'm trying to remember if my kids ever had a blow-out with disposables -
apart from a bout of diarrhea, I can't remember any.

But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

Clisby

Michelle J. Haines
October 19th 03, 01:37 AM
In article >,
says...

> I'm trying to remember if my kids ever had a blow-out with disposables -
> apart from a bout of diarrhea, I can't remember any.

It, along with where the kids get more diaper rash, is very much a
YMMV issue.

> But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
> over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
> and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

*nod* My mother kept fussing at me because I don't fold my cloth
diapers the way she did. Well, I don't use pins and plastic pants on
a regular basis, either, so I don't need to fold my diapers the way
she did.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!
Katrina Marie (10/19/96)
Xander Ryan (09/22/98 - 02/23/99)
Gareth Xander (07/17/00) Zachary Mitchell
Theona Alexis (06/03/03) (01/12/94, fostered 09/05/01 - 07/23/03)

zeldabee
October 19th 03, 01:43 AM
Clisby > wrote:
> Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> > says...
> >
> >>That's interesting - I always assumed cloth diapers were leakier.
> >>Anyhow, I didn't have a problem with leaking from disposables - maybe
> >>you haven't found one that really fits quite right.
> >
> > I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
> > *shrug*
>
> I'm trying to remember if my kids ever had a blow-out with disposables -
> apart from a bout of diarrhea, I can't remember any.
>
> But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
> over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
> and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

The covers must make the difference, at least with the plain diapers I use.
The only leaks I've had were when I forgot to make sure my son's penis
wasn't pointing straight up when I put the diaper on. :o/ Plus one super
massive poop that nothing could have contained.

I do frequently have to wash the diaper covers, though. It's a PITA since I
only have a few, and no washing machine. I don't know how patient my
daycare providers will be with that.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

zeldabee
October 19th 03, 01:46 AM
Anne Rogers > wrote:

> > Aw, thanks, that's nice...I'm pretty sure Bubeleh's around 12 lbs,
> > though--he's grown out of his 0-3month clothes, anyway. I won't know
> > for sure how much he weighs until his ped visit next Friday...
>
> I missed your birth story/announcement on mkp, but I've just found it on
> google, it sounds like breastfeeding is going really well for you, if
> you've made it to 12 pounds, well done. We've also just made it to 12
> pounds but at 20 weeks!
>
> I just wanted to reply and give you a big (((((((hug))))))) sounds like
> things are tough for you right now. I really respect you for coming of
> meds so you can breastfeed your baby.

Thanks for your encouragement...I just hope it continues to work out. I'll
be so disappointed if I have to switch to formula...

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Phoebe & Allyson
October 19th 03, 02:57 AM
zeldabee wrote:

> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I
go out...and I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my
son's in daycare. But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks.

We use disposables at night and when we go out, and
generally don't have leaking problems. I like White Cloud
(Wal-Mart generic) as well as any of the name-brand diapers
for nifty features, and they have the added benefit of not
smelling like artificial baby. They tend to run slightly
small, Pampers tend to run slightly large.

Caterpillar switched into size 2 (12-18 pounds) well before
her 2 month wbv, and she was 12 pounds 4 ounces at that
check. The reason we sized up is because the size 1s were
leaking. She's about 15 pounds now, and will move into size
3 (16-28 pounds) when this pack of diapers is finished.

When she's in a disposable overnight, we won't change her
from after her bath (so 10:30ish) until she wakes up for the
first time in the morning (maybe 8:30 or 9am). She wakes,
poops, gets a clean diaper, and goes back to sleep. I know
her diapers are getting too small when I wake up at 8:15 and
slide a waterproof pad under her.

Phoebe *who washed sheets 3 days in a row before learning
that* :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

AlenasMom
October 19th 03, 02:59 AM
"zeldabee" > wrote in message
> I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and
I'm
> *considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare.
But
> every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
> with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
> recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just
go
> with the territory?
>
> --
> z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

I'm sorry, I have to be an @$$ here. :D
Paper diapers aren't very good because paper isn't really absorbent!
When I first read this I was really tired and pictured diapers made out of
pieces of a notebook. :D
For me, I just bring a ziplock bag along for soiled diapers. It works like
a charm and keeps the smell out of the air. Then I toss them into the pail
when I get home.
Pampers didn't leak, but gave Alena HORRIBLE diaper rash, so I can't really
recommend anything.

Phoebe & Allyson
October 19th 03, 03:08 AM
zeldabee wrote:

> Rite Aid store brand

I got a pack of those as a shower gift. The most horrible
diapers I've ever used. They literally disintegrated when
I'd take the old one off, and leaked horribly.

> One problem is that they seem to be sold in large sized packages, so it's
> not like I can buy a small quantity to try them out. Unfortunately, the
> samples I got from the hospital and whatnot were all newborn size, which
> are far too small.

If you don't mind the Pampers smell, I'd get a pack of the
next size up. Odds are, at some point your DD will fit in
that size, even if she doesn't now. If you don't mind
waiting awhile, get on some of the big name-brand companies'
mailing lists. I got 4-6 diapers in each size that way, but
they come as the company thinks your baby is likely to be
growing into them.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

October 19th 03, 03:14 AM
Clisby > wrote:

> Michelle J. Haines wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>
>>>That's interesting - I always assumed cloth diapers were leakier.
>>>Anyhow, I didn't have a problem with leaking from disposables - maybe
>>>you haven't found one that really fits quite right.
>>

>> I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
>> *shrug*
>>
>> Michelle
>> Flutist
>>

> I'm trying to remember if my kids ever had a blow-out with disposables -
> apart from a bout of diarrhea, I can't remember any.

> But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
> over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
> and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

At 10 weeks old, we've never had a blowout with cloth diapers. We've had a
couple of pee leaks, but those were all due to user error. I get confused
at night. ;)

Manda

H Schinske
October 19th 03, 05:31 AM
>> I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
>> *shrug*

My kids had blow-outs with EVERYTHING. I think in some cases it's not the
diaper type, it's the kid or the technique or both.

--Helen the possibly incompetent diaperer ;-)

zeldabee
October 19th 03, 06:34 PM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:
> zeldabee wrote:
>
> > Rite Aid store brand
>
> I got a pack of those as a shower gift. The most horrible
> diapers I've ever used. They literally disintegrated when
> I'd take the old one off, and leaked horribly.

Ew. Actually I used a couple yesterday, and they didn't disintegrate or
leak, but they did seem a little small. Also, he didn't do any major poop
when he was wearing them.

> > One problem is that they seem to be sold in large sized packages, so
> > it's not like I can buy a small quantity to try them out.
> > Unfortunately, the samples I got from the hospital and whatnot were all
> > newborn size, which are far too small.
>
> If you don't mind the Pampers smell, I'd get a pack of the
> next size up.

Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember a
smell.

> Odds are, at some point your DD will fit in
> that size, even if she doesn't now.

He's a DS, but IKWYM. :o)

> If you don't mind
> waiting awhile, get on some of the big name-brand companies'
> mailing lists. I got 4-6 diapers in each size that way, but
> they come as the company thinks your baby is likely to be
> growing into them.

That's not a bad idea.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Phoebe & Allyson
October 19th 03, 08:31 PM
zeldabee wrote:

> Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember a
> smell.

They smell like "Baby Fresh." Some people don't mind it,
but it always smelled really strong and unpleasant to me,
and if I had Pampers in a bag with a spare outfit, they made
the outfit smell, too. I think the Swaddlers are less
smelly, because I didn't notice a smell to the sample of
those that I used.

> He's a DS, but IKWYM. :o)

Oops. :)

Phoebe :)

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Lara
October 20th 03, 04:46 AM
Clisby > wrote:

> But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
> over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
> and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

They've not just improved, they've changed completely. Where Luke had
blowouts and horrible, horrble rashes and leaks with paper nappies (he
wasn't in them for long!), he's been comfortable, dry and virtually
leak-free in cloth. The leaks happen very rarely and only with user
error, pretty much - cover not fastened properly, nappy not tucked in.
I'm trying to remember the last (non-diarrhoea) leak we had, and
struggling.

Curiously, though when Luke had gastro, the best performing nappy was a
good old terry flat. Go figure!

Lara

zeldabee
October 20th 03, 04:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:
> zeldabee wrote:
>
> > Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember
> > a smell.
>
> They smell like "Baby Fresh."

Why do people think that babies need to smell like that? Babies smell so
nice as they are...clean babies do, anyway...

> Some people don't mind it,
> but it always smelled really strong and unpleasant to me,
> and if I had Pampers in a bag with a spare outfit, they made
> the outfit smell, too. I think the Swaddlers are less
> smelly, because I didn't notice a smell to the sample of
> those that I used.

That would explain it--the Pampers from the hospital were the newborn ones
with the cutout.

> > He's a DS, but IKWYM. :o)
>
> Oops. :)

NP.

--

"AlenasMom" > wrote:
> [cloth vs paper]
> For me, I just bring a ziplock bag along for soiled diapers. It works
> like a charm and keeps the smell out of the air. Then I toss them into
> the pail when I get home.

This is what I do. Of course, I forgot one the other day... :o/

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Anne Rogers
October 26th 03, 03:22 PM
I'm starting work soon and am thinking that I might need to get hold of a
better pump (I currently have an Avent Isis). I've searched online and
have been quite disapointed with the information I've found. I've only
found telephone numbers to ring up for more information and no source to
buy one! I really need more information so I can make an educated
decision!

-----------
Anne Rogers

Clare Elliott
October 26th 03, 07:19 PM
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:22:41 +0000, Anne Rogers
> wrote:

>I'm starting work soon and am thinking that I might need to get hold of a
>better pump (I currently have an Avent Isis). I've searched online and
>have been quite disapointed with the information I've found. I've only
>found telephone numbers to ring up for more information and no source to
>buy one! I really need more information so I can make an educated
>decision!

Boots rent them out - and here in Gloucestershire the health visitors
have a list of rental agents.

Also, have you tried the NCT?

Clare

Mogget
November 1st 03, 03:28 PM
In message >,
Anne Rogers > writes
>I'm starting work soon and am thinking that I might need to get hold of a
>better pump (I currently have an Avent Isis). I've searched online and
>have been quite disapointed with the information I've found. I've only
>found telephone numbers to ring up for more information and no source to
>buy one! I really need more information so I can make an educated
>decision!

I got mine (a Medela Lactina, very good) from these folks:

http://www.centralmedical.co.uk/expression.htm

Next day delivery too.
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat