PDA

View Full Version : Formula risks

She's A Goddess
October 17th 03, 09:55 PM
Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at the
moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
pumping, and my own two nurslings. Of all the people that I've come across
while supplying milk to my nephew this week the only one thats raised any
objections is my own D(*mn)H ("makes my stomach queasy"). While we were
talking about it last night he didn't want to believe the formula risks were
greater than his queasy stomach and I told him I'd get him someone elses
word. So, I need the great and mighty "risks of formula" list, especially
for a preemie. Also, is there a link to someone official with the list of
preferences for milk. You know, mom's breast, mom's pumped, donor pumped,
formula in that order. I know it, and it makes intuitive sense to me but I
want to send it to DH. Its not that he's telling me not to do it (he never
would), its just that I want him on board with me.

Thanks!

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

Carolyn
October 17th 03, 10:24 PM
This article has some of the risks in a very readable format.
http://tinyurl.com/rcik
This is another list that also includes journal references to the studies.
http://www.infactcanada.ca/foodgrup.htm
I hope that this helps him understand why it is so important and hopefully
with time he will become more comfortable with breastfeeding.
Carolyn

Rosie
October 17th 03, 10:37 PM
According to the World Health Organization: its hierarchy is:

1) breastfeeding; 2) the mother's own milk expressed and given to her child
some other way; 3) the milk of another human mother; and 4) artificial milk
feeds.

UNICEF, WHO, UNESCO: Facts for Life: A Communication Challenge. New York:
UNICEF 1989; p. 20.

Maybe get a copy of the literature?

What you're doing is amazing,
ROSIE

"She's A Goddess" > wrote in message
> Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at
the
> moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
> pumping, and my own two nurslings. Of all the people that I've come
across
> while supplying milk to my nephew this week the only one thats raised any
> objections is my own D(*mn)H ("makes my stomach queasy"). While we were
> talking about it last night he didn't want to believe the formula risks
were
> greater than his queasy stomach and I told him I'd get him someone elses
> word. So, I need the great and mighty "risks of formula" list, especially
> for a preemie. Also, is there a link to someone official with the list of
> preferences for milk. You know, mom's breast, mom's pumped, donor pumped,
> formula in that order. I know it, and it makes intuitive sense to me but
> want to send it to DH. Its not that he's telling me not to do it (he
never
> would), its just that I want him on board with me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rhiannon
> Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

Rosie
October 17th 03, 10:40 PM
Oooh I found the link:

http://www.unesco.org/education/educprog/ste/pdf_files/health/factbreast.pdf

Print this off for DH, I'm sure he'll find it reasurring.

ROSIE

"She's A Goddess" > wrote in message
> Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at
the
> moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
> pumping, and my own two nurslings. Of all the people that I've come
across
> while supplying milk to my nephew this week the only one thats raised any
> objections is my own D(*mn)H ("makes my stomach queasy"). While we were
> talking about it last night he didn't want to believe the formula risks
were
> greater than his queasy stomach and I told him I'd get him someone elses
> word. So, I need the great and mighty "risks of formula" list, especially
> for a preemie. Also, is there a link to someone official with the list of
> preferences for milk. You know, mom's breast, mom's pumped, donor pumped,
> formula in that order. I know it, and it makes intuitive sense to me but
> want to send it to DH. Its not that he's telling me not to do it (he
never
> would), its just that I want him on board with me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rhiannon
> Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

She's A Goddess
October 17th 03, 10:59 PM
"Carolyn" > wrote in message
> This article has some of the risks in a very readable format.
> http://tinyurl.com/rcik
> This is another list that also includes journal references to the studies.
> http://www.infactcanada.ca/foodgrup.htm

Thanks for the links :)

> I hope that this helps him understand why it is so important and hopefully
> with time he will become more comfortable with breastfeeding.

I need to clear this up so as not to give my DH a bad rap. He has *no*
issues with breastfeeding and doesn't want our children to have formula. We
have a two year old and an almost four month old who are tandem nursing.
His hangup is with my nephew being fed my milk. He feels that formula is
there for babies who can't nurse, and that if my nephew is having issues
with nursing than he should have formula rather than milk that I pump.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

She's A Goddess
October 17th 03, 11:00 PM
"Rosie" > wrote in message
> According to the World Health Organization: its hierarchy is:
>
> 1) breastfeeding; 2) the mother's own milk expressed and given to her
child
> some other way; 3) the milk of another human mother; and 4) artificial
milk
> feeds.

> UNICEF, WHO, UNESCO: Facts for Life: A Communication Challenge. New York:
> UNICEF 1989; p. 20.
>
> Maybe get a copy of the literature?
>
> What you're doing is amazing,
> ROSIE

Thanks Rosie! This is perfect on that front. Also, thanks for the kudos.
Its been rough, but definately important and worth it to me.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

She's A Goddess
October 17th 03, 11:00 PM
"Rosie" > wrote in message
> Oooh I found the link:

http://www.unesco.org/education/educprog/ste/pdf_files/health/factbreast.pdf

> Print this off for DH, I'm sure he'll find it reasurring.

Thanks again!

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

azure
October 18th 03, 09:00 AM
> I need to clear this up so as not to give my DH a bad rap. He has *no*
> issues with breastfeeding and doesn't want our children to have formula.
We
> have a two year old and an almost four month old who are tandem nursing.
> His hangup is with my nephew being fed my milk. He feels that formula is
> there for babies who can't nurse, and that if my nephew is having issues
> with nursing than he should have formula rather than milk that I pump.
>
> --
> Rhiannon
> Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

I hope if I'm ever in your sister or SIL's position there is someone like
you in my life! The cousins will be "milk-tied", what a special bond : )

Leah

---

CY
October 18th 03, 09:07 AM
Wow, that's really something - you are an amazing person. I don't know many
women who are nourishing 3 at the same time!!

Just curious...how come he can't get his own mother's pumped milk?
"She's A Goddess" > wrote in message
> Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at
the
> moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
> pumping, and my own two nurslings. Of all the people that I've come
across
> while supplying milk to my nephew this week the only one thats raised any
> objections is my own D(*mn)H ("makes my stomach queasy"). While we were
> talking about it last night he didn't want to believe the formula risks
were
> greater than his queasy stomach and I told him I'd get him someone elses
> word. So, I need the great and mighty "risks of formula" list, especially
> for a preemie. Also, is there a link to someone official with the list of
> preferences for milk. You know, mom's breast, mom's pumped, donor pumped,
> formula in that order. I know it, and it makes intuitive sense to me but
> want to send it to DH. Its not that he's telling me not to do it (he
never
> would), its just that I want him on board with me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rhiannon
> Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

She's A Goddess
October 21st 03, 06:08 AM
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message
> *g*
> 4 or even 5.....if she doesn't collapse from all this and if DH doesn't
> cook **g**

Ain't that the everlovin' truth :-)

> You're doing a Good Thing, Rhiannon.

Thanks Dawn. It really felt good. The great news is that the only pumping
I'm doing now is to rebuild my own completely obliterated stash. SIL is
solely feeding DNephew on her own. Lets all keep fingers crossed for their
Wednesday morning weight check that its going well (and moreso, to the ped's
satisfaction). Cause of course if the "f" word is mentioned, I'll be back
at it.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

Belphoebe
October 21st 03, 02:28 PM

> "Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message
> Thanks Dawn. It really felt good. The great news is that the only
pumping
> I'm doing now is to rebuild my own completely obliterated stash. SIL is
> solely feeding DNephew on her own. Lets all keep fingers crossed for
their
> Wednesday morning weight check that its going well (and moreso, to the
ped's
> satisfaction). Cause of course if the "f" word is mentioned, I'll be back
> at it.

Yeah! This is great news, Rhiannon. What a lucky boy, with his aunt and
mom both working so hard for him. :)

Belphoebe

A.L. Bell
October 22nd 03, 07:20 AM
"She's A Goddess" > wrote in message news:<HGYjb.580791$cF.252104@rwcrnsc53>...
> Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at the
> moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
> pumping, and my own two nurslings. ...

I just found your original post about your nephew being born at 35
weeks 4 days weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces.

I don't understand why the doctors have been insisting on
supplementation and all that maternal pumping.

My daughter was born at, roughly, 36 weeks, at 6 pounds, after I had
preeclampsia. The pediatricians put her on a sugar water IV for 24
hours while the drug (magnesium sulfate) that they gave me for the
preeclampsia washed out of my blood. But, once I could nurse her, they
let me nurse her the natural way and put up with all the suspense of
waiting for my colostrum to turn to milk.

I ended up having weird supply and/or letdown and/or milk management
problems at 4 weeks, but my daughter did great on breastmilk up till
that point. I started trying to pump at 4 weeks, and I think it's
possible that the mere fact that I started trying to pump, rather than
simply giving all my milk to my daughter the natural way, might have
contributed to the problems I ended up having with breastfeeding
around that time.

Anyhow, I think your nephew would have been better off if his mom had
ignored the doctors and just started nursing him the natural way
starting from the first minutes after birth.

Chotii
October 22nd 03, 08:13 AM
"A.L. Bell" > wrote in message
om...
> "She's A Goddess" > wrote in message
> > Okay, I know its been posted here a million times but I can't find it at
the
> > moment what with all of my 140 mile round trips to see my nephew, my
> > pumping, and my own two nurslings. ...
>
> I just found your original post about your nephew being born at 35
> weeks 4 days weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces.
>
> I don't understand why the doctors have been insisting on
> supplementation and all that maternal pumping.
>
> My daughter was born at, roughly, 36 weeks, at 6 pounds...

> Anyhow, I think your nephew would have been better off if his mom had
> ignored the doctors and just started nursing him the natural way
> starting from the first minutes after birth.

Oh, no doubt. But all babies are not created equal, even if born at the same
gestation. Many babies will not have their suck-swallow-breathe reflex
established for another week (37 weeks). Many premature babies will have
difficulty extracting milk or colostrum in amounts adequate to their needs.
Many premature infants wind up on oxygen and are not stable enough to stay
with mom, so that 'nursing him the natural way' would have been actively
harmful. Certainly it would have been ideal if the baby could have nursed
directly, but it's entirely possible that he *couldn't*, and the doctors
were not interfering unnecessarily. We weren't there. Since I had 34 weeker
twins who *could* not nurse adequately at birth (or even remember to breathe
reliably), I may tend to lean toward assuming that possibility more than
you, whose child was born older/bigger/more mature.

--angela

Chookie
October 24th 03, 01:16 PM
In article >,
(A.L. Bell) wrote:

> My daughter was born at, roughly, 36 weeks, at 6 pounds, after I had
> preeclampsia. The pediatricians put her on a sugar water IV for 24
> hours while the drug (magnesium sulfate) that they gave me for the
> preeclampsia washed out of my blood.

Really? I was bfing while I had the Mag sulf going into my arm! Can we have
a Hale's lookup, please?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Phoebe & Allyson
October 27th 03, 02:30 AM
Chookie wrote:

> I was bfing while I had the Mag sulf going into my arm! Can we have
> a Hale's lookup, please?

L1. OP might have been on something else, or something else too.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt