PDA

View Full Version : BM volumes

Mushtywoof
October 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Heres a question......

If a 'whatever' age baby on formula was to have 'whatever' amount of milk
per day, how would this compare to a breast fed baby of the same age? Is BM
more calorific etc so they have lower intakes than formula fed babies, or
would it be about the same?

I was pondering about this due to the amount of mums saying that they
couldnt possibly supply their baby with 9oz of bm per feed (but can with
formula) and that is how much their baby needs. I realize that bf babies
are fed more frequently, but do they get the same volume per day?

Mushty

iphigenia
October 18th 03, 04:10 PM
Mushtywoof wrote:
> If a 'whatever' age baby on formula was to have 'whatever' amount of
> milk per day, how would this compare to a breast fed baby of the same
> age? Is BM more calorific etc so they have lower intakes than
> formula fed babies, or would it be about the same?

Breastmilk and formula have approximately the same caloric content - IIRC,
it's something like 22 kCal/oz.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

H Schinske
October 18th 03, 09:46 PM
wrote:

>Is BM
>more calorific etc so they have lower intakes than formula fed babies, or
>would it be about the same?

Breastmilk averages out to about the same number of calories per ounce as
formula, but of course it changes all the time (over the course of a feeding,
plus changing as the baby grows), and there must be some individual differences
in the milk from mother to mother as well.

--Helen

mitch
October 19th 03, 06:35 PM
Don't know about calorific values but, when DS was 6wks I started
expressing and would fill an 8oz bottle from each side total 16oz.
Scared the living out of me as he would empty both sides at each
feeding. He regularly put on +1lb a week. DD is now 4.5 months and
looking back DS was nearly double her size at this age with just a 1lb
and 3wks difference at birth. lol.

Mitch

"Mushtywoof" > wrote in message >...
> Heres a question......
>
> If a 'whatever' age baby on formula was to have 'whatever' amount of milk
> per day, how would this compare to a breast fed baby of the same age? Is BM
> more calorific etc so they have lower intakes than formula fed babies, or
> would it be about the same?
>
> I was pondering about this due to the amount of mums saying that they
> couldnt possibly supply their baby with 9oz of bm per feed (but can with
> formula) and that is how much their baby needs. I realize that bf babies
> are fed more frequently, but do they get the same volume per day?
>
> Mushty

news.eclipse.co.uk
October 23rd 03, 02:36 PM
"Mushtywoof" > wrote in message
> Heres a question......
>
> If a 'whatever' age baby on formula was to have 'whatever' amount of milk
> per day, how would this compare to a breast fed baby of the same age? Is
BM
> more calorific etc so they have lower intakes than formula fed babies, or
> would it be about the same?
>
> I was pondering about this due to the amount of mums saying that they
> couldnt possibly supply their baby with 9oz of bm per feed (but can with
> formula) and that is how much their baby needs. I realize that bf babies
> are fed more frequently, but do they get the same volume per day?
>
> Mushty

BF and FF are totally different, a BF baby may well take much less milk
volume wise than the equivalent or same child on formula. This is often why
so many pumping Moms worry that they can't produce 'enough' pumping when
they see such huge bottles full of formula compared to their EBM of 3 or
4oz. It's also why as a society we believe that babies must be stuff to the
gills with milk in order to be happy and healthy.

Nikki