PDA

View Full Version : Hales lookup please!

Amy M.
October 19th 03, 04:04 PM
Could someone with a copy of Hale's please tell me if Advair (for asthma) is
safe while breastfeeding. My doctor is of no help at all. He's never heard of
Dr. Hale (@@) and thinks the only tool of reference is the PDA! UGH!

Thanks!
--
Amy~
Tre' (6/92)

iphigenia
October 19th 03, 08:11 PM
Amy M. wrote:
> Could someone with a copy of Hale's please tell me if Advair (for
> asthma) is safe while breastfeeding.

http://www.google.com/groups?q=fluticasone+group:misc.kids.breastfeeding&hl=
en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=gbidnVBcGJBrKf6iU-KYuQ%40comcast.com
&rnum=1

Advair is fluticasone and salmeterol.

Fluticasone is an L3. "When instilled intranasally, the absolute
bioavailability is less than 2%, so vitrually none of the dose instilled in
absorbed systemically. Oral absorption following inhaled fluticasone is
approximately 30%, although amlmost instant first-pass absorption virtually
eliminates plasma levels of fluticasone." "With the above oral and systemic
bioavailability, and rapid first-pass uptake by the liver, it is not liekly
that milk levels will be clinically relevant, even with rather high doses."

Salmeterol is an L2. "Maternal plasma levels of salmeterol after inhaled
administration are very low or undetectable." No reports of use in lactating
women are available, though, so I would guess that's a large part of the
reasoning behind the big old CYA on the insert.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Amy M.