PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar has a drink of water

Phoebe & Allyson
October 20th 03, 04:58 AM
When she has her bath, Caterpillar (4 1/2 months) gets her
own two-handled cup to play with. Otherwise she wants to
play with the cup I use to wet and rinse her with. I
usually give her some clean water in it to play with, and it
goes over the side and over her chin and everywhere but in
her mouth. A couple of times, she's splashed water into her
mouth and made a face and spit out as much as she could.

Tonight, she got some water into her mouth, made a face, and
spit it out. Then you could just see the little lightbulb
light up over her head, and she lifted the cup back up and
drank down the rest of the cup in two big gulps.

She's about 6 weeks away from solids, so she doesn't need
any water. On the other hand, I suspect she's in no danger
of hyponatremia from a mouthful of water in the tub. Based
on past accomplishments, there's a good chance she won't get
another mouthful for days or even weeks. And I'd just as
soon she has some idea of how a cup works when she's eating
enough solids to get a cupful of water at meals. Should I
switch her tub toy to rubber ducky, put the (valveless)
sippy lid on her cup, or just let her have at it?

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

azure
October 20th 03, 05:35 AM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
*snip*
> Should I
> switch her tub toy to rubber ducky, put the (valveless)
> sippy lid on her cup, or just let her have at it?
>
> Phoebe :)
> --
> yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

I vote for let her have it! When I started bathing with Audrey at around 4
months old, she started drinking bath water off her fist, and was quite
focused on it (dip, suck, dip, very cute!) until she discovered other fun
things to do as well : )

Leah

---

She's A Goddess
October 20th 03, 05:43 AM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message

> Then you could just see the little lightbulb
> light up over her head, and she lifted the cup back up and
> drank down the rest of the cup in two big gulps.

Too cute!

> Should I
> switch her tub toy to rubber ducky, put the (valveless)
> sippy lid on her cup, or just let her have at it?

I'd just let her have at it. Honestly, she may not figure it out again for
awhile. If she does and she starts drinking all the bath water, you take it
away from her :-)

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl and O. Boy

toypup
October 20th 03, 06:51 AM
"She's A Goddess" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
>
> > Then you could just see the little lightbulb
> > light up over her head, and she lifted the cup back up and
> > drank down the rest of the cup in two big gulps.
>
> Too cute!
>
> > Should I
> > switch her tub toy to rubber ducky, put the (valveless)
> > sippy lid on her cup, or just let her have at it?
>
> I'd just let her have at it. Honestly, she may not figure it out again
for
> awhile. If she does and she starts drinking all the bath water, you take
it
> away from her :-)

DS is 2yo and he still drinks tub water. If he doesn't have a cup, he puts
his face in and gets it that way. Hasn't made him sick yet. Gross, though.
He doesn't think so.

Anne Rogers
October 20th 03, 12:37 PM

> She's about 6 weeks away from solids, so she doesn't need
> any water. On the other hand, I suspect she's in no danger
> of hyponatremia from a mouthful of water in the tub. Based
> on past accomplishments, there's a good chance she won't get
> another mouthful for days or even weeks. And I'd just as
> soon she has some idea of how a cup works when she's eating
> enough solids to get a cupful of water at meals. Should I
> switch her tub toy to rubber ducky, put the (valveless)
> sippy lid on her cup, or just let her have at it?

yikes, 6 weeks! *checks diary* so it is, Nathanael will be 6 months, in 5
weeks 4 days. I'd stick with the cup, Nathanael doesn't really play with
his ducks, but anything with handles he's very keen on.