PDA

View Full Version : Way OT- sort of...

mike and dena
October 21st 03, 08:37 PM
Can anyone tell me how to encrypt my email address when posting, I am in the
process of changing my email addy due to a horrendous amount of junk I must
have picked up posting. I have seen others do this to avoid the problem, but
in my naiveté thought "it wont happen to me".....
TIA
Dena - feeling pretty dumb with 2016 "you were sent a virus" warnings from
my isp.....(in the past 11 days)
:(

Lucy
October 21st 03, 09:15 PM
"mike and dena" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to encrypt my email address when posting,

What newsreader are you using? I use Outlook Express and to change your
e-mail address there, you just go to Tools -> Accounts. Click on Properties,
then change the e-mail address listed on the General tab.

Joy
October 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
Better yet...create a free email account (at yahoo or hotmail or something)
and do all your newsgroup posting under that. I only check my yahoo account
(via the web client) every few weeks, and it's rare to have a real message
there, so it doesn't bother my normal email at all. It's also a good idea to
protect yourself from nutjobs who, if you use an email address which can be
traced to your full name, can cyberstalk you if you post something that
attracts them (or even stalk you in the real world, if they are so
inclined). I think that's particularly important in a group like this--do
you have any idea how many bf fetishists are probably lurking on this group?

And, the best part--if you start to get an overwhelming amount of spam in
your newsgroup email account, you can walk away from it without worrying
you'll lose email from your friends and family.

See http://www.haltabuse.org/resources/online.shtml for more advice.

Every newsreader should have a way to change the email address you post
under to your free account. Let us know what you use to read news (Outlook
Express?) if you need specific instructions.

-Joy

"mike and dena" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to encrypt my email address when posting, I am in
the
> process of changing my email addy due to a horrendous amount of junk I
must
> have picked up posting. I have seen others do this to avoid the problem,
but
> in my naiveté thought "it wont happen to me".....
> TIA
> Dena - feeling pretty dumb with 2016 "you were sent a virus" warnings from
> my isp.....(in the past 11 days)
> :(

mike and dena
October 22nd 03, 10:42 PM
I use Outlook- thanks. Specific instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Haven't changed my address in 4 years, dont remember..... :)
Dena

Joy
October 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
Go to Tools->Accounts. On the News tab, choose your news account and click
Properties. Change your name and/or email address on the General tab, and
you're set.

-Joy