PDA

View Full Version : Re: What should I do with this milk?

Karen Askey
October 22nd 03, 12:01 AM
>Any suggestions? I just can't bring myself to toss it yet
>(and I'd probably keep it at least 6 months in case of dire
>emergency if no better use presents itself).

google for homemade soap. Someone on the pumpmoms board posted the recipe. If
i can find it, I'll post it here.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Jodie
October 22nd 03, 12:07 AM
Oooh, I like the soap idea. Will be curious to see that...

50 oz?! That seems like a gold mine to me, since pumping just doesn't
seem to be working anymore for me. I would probably just hang on to it
for the 6 months, might be a good way to "test" introducing dairy back
into your diet. ie, try a bottle of that milk maybe once a week.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions. Just my two cents.

Jodie

Phoebe & Allyson
October 22nd 03, 01:16 AM
Jodie wrote:

> Oooh, I like the soap idea. Will be curious to see that...

http://tinyurl.com/rtpc
I'm not sure all the effort and lye and blending are worth
it, but it uses almost exactly as much milk as I have. :)

> 50 oz?! That seems like a gold mine to me

To me, too! I've always been able to get about 2 ounces a
day in addition to nursing, and that stash was built up so
if I needed my gallbladder out in a hurry, and needed to be
in the hospital for a day or two, there'd be enough milk.
So I got my 2 ounces a day for a month.

> I would probably just hang on to it
> for the 6 months, might be a good way to "test" introducing dairy back
> into your diet. ie, try a bottle of that milk maybe once a week.

I think no soap until the milk expires is the way to go.
Caterpillar doesn't seem to have any lingering effects from
a small dose of milk (the poop issues clear up within a
day), but that's an excellent suggestion, especially if I
try to be more ruthless about cutting out dairy in the meantime.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Lara
October 22nd 03, 10:42 AM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:

> Jodie wrote:
> > Oooh, I like the soap idea. Will be curious to see that...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/rtpc
> I'm not sure all the effort and lye and blending are worth
> it, but it uses almost exactly as much milk as I have. :)

For much less effort & lye, buy pure soap powder or grated soap and
re-batch it with the milk. Add a little calendula infused oil and maybe
a drop or two of lavender essential oil, for fabulous hypoallergenic
baby soap/facial soap. I've been doing this for months.

Lara

ted
October 22nd 03, 07:58 PM
Lara,
Do you have a "recipe" for this soap somewhere?
Also where do I get the supplies?
Smells (almost) wonderful!!

Thanks.

> For much less effort & lye, buy pure soap powder or grated soap and
> re-batch it with the milk. Add a little calendula infused oil and maybe
> a drop or two of lavender essential oil, for fabulous hypoallergenic
> baby soap/facial soap. I've been doing this for months.
>
> Lara

Akuvikate
October 22nd 03, 08:41 PM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
> Caterpillar (almost 5 months) had a nasty bout of eczema,
> which is slowly improving, after getting 2 ounces of freezer
> stash from when I was still drinking cow's milk (and eating
> cheese and yogurt and ice cream and butter... *drool*). I'm
> thinking it might be a good idea not to give her any more of it.
>
> So what do I do with that milk? It's not a tremendous
> amount, in the scheme of things - maybe 50 ounces. Almost
> all from July, so 3-4 months old, stored in a freestanding
> manual defrost freezer in the nice Gerber ziplock baggies.
> I don't know anyone with a baby who both needs it and knows
> me well enough to want to share my milk. I suspect it will
> be past its expiration date before Caterpillar outgrows her
> dairy sensitivity. I'd do something cool with it, like make
> a lump of butter, but she won't be able to eat that, either!
>
> Any suggestions? I just can't bring myself to toss it yet
> (and I'd probably keep it at least 6 months in case of dire
> emergency if no better use presents itself).
>
> Phoebe :)

Please, please before you make soap see if you can donate it. We call
it "liquid gold" because of the work we put into pumping it, but the
folks who really know how to appreciate breastmilk are the sick
preemies or babies that can't tolerate formula and for whatever reason
don't have their own mama's milk. Some banks require at least 100 oz
(to offset the costs of the medical tests they have to run), but think
of all the good karma points you'd acquire if you pumped a bit more
for them! The other snag is that there are very few milk banks in the
US, and none in OK -- dunno if you can ship it to them or not. Here's
a CDC link with a little info about human milk banking and contact
info for the banks in the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/compend-milkbanks.htm.

They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
they supposedly get their rules...

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2002

Lucy
October 22nd 03, 09:14 PM
"Akuvikate" > wrote in message
om...

> http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/compend-milkbanks.htm.
>
> They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
> again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
> they supposedly get their rules...

I suppose they wouldn't take mine either, since I lived in the UK and am not
allowed to donate blood.

What a shame.

Lucy

Dawn Lawson
October 22nd 03, 09:25 PM
Lucy wrote:

> "Akuvikate" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>>http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/compend-milkbanks.htm.
>>
>>They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
>>again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
>>they supposedly get their rules...
>

> I suppose they wouldn't take mine either, since I lived in the UK and am not
> allowed to donate blood.

Me neither, same reason, which I find utterly stupid. Especially as I
am Oneg, and a potentially valuable donor, unlikely to be carrying
anything transmittable.

Dawn

CC
October 22nd 03, 10:53 PM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Caterpillar (almost 5 months) had a nasty bout of eczema,
> which is slowly improving, after getting 2 ounces of freezer
> stash from when I was still drinking cow's milk (and eating
> cheese and yogurt and ice cream and butter... *drool*). I'm
> thinking it might be a good idea not to give her any more of it.
>
> So what do I do with that milk? It's not a tremendous
> amount, in the scheme of things - maybe 50 ounces. Almost
> all from July, so 3-4 months old, stored in a freestanding
> manual defrost freezer in the nice Gerber ziplock baggies.
> I don't know anyone with a baby who both needs it and knows
> me well enough to want to share my milk. I suspect it will
> be past its expiration date before Caterpillar outgrows her
> dairy sensitivity. I'd do something cool with it, like make
> a lump of butter, but she won't be able to eat that, either!
>
> Any suggestions? I just can't bring myself to toss it yet
> (and I'd probably keep it at least 6 months in case of dire
> emergency if no better use presents itself).
>
> Phoebe :)
> --
> yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

My Munchkin grew out his milk allergy when he was 11 months old so maybe
hold on to it.

Boy was it great for me to be back on milk products.

love
Clare

Michelle J. Haines
October 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
In article >, says...
> Akuvikate wrote:
>
> > They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
> > again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
> > they supposedly get their rules...
> I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P

Yeah, me too.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!

Lara
October 23rd 03, 03:23 AM
ted > wrote:

> Lara,
> Do you have a "recipe" for this soap somewhere?
> Also where do I get the supplies?
> Smells (almost) wonderful!!
>
> Thanks.

Your email address doesn't work.

teapot
October 23rd 03, 10:35 AM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
> Akuvikate wrote:
>
> > They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
> > again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
> > they supposedly get their rules...
> I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P

I've never heard of that - is there a reason?

teapot

Lucy
October 23rd 03, 03:16 PM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message

> I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P

I didn't know that Germany was another country that was banned. At this
rate, before we know it, they'll only accept blood from people who've never
been outside the US. Or maybe they'll start eliminating certain states
too!!!

We have a blood drive at work every three months and they're always begging
people to go and donate. They always go on and on about how desperate they
are for donors. They even do promotions like putting your name in for a
drawing for a car each time, to entice people to show up, and yet have to
turn so many people away.

It drives me nuts. I have made the comment that the blood banks in the UK
would be really in trouble if *they* started denying people who've lived in
the UK.

Anyway, I guess it's the FDA who are making these rulings. It will be OK
once they've figured out a way to screen for CJD, but of course by then,
there'll be some other disease that they're worried about.

Lucy,
who is fairly sure that she'd be dead by now if she had CJD.

ted
October 23rd 03, 03:34 PM
OOPS! sorry about that. I don't check that email address at all. I
think yahoo kicked me out or something. I'll try to clean up the
inbox.
Do you mind posting it to the group? I hope they forgive the off topic
this one time.

Thanks.

> Your email address doesn't work.

Michelle J. Haines
October 23rd 03, 06:08 PM
In article >,
says...
> Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
> > Akuvikate wrote:
> >
> > > They won't take mine because I've lived in Africa. :( I may call
> > > again, because that's even stricter than the blood banks from whome
> > > they supposedly get their rules...
> > I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P
> >

> I've never heard of that - is there a reason?

Danger of having eaten meat tainted with Mad Cow Disease.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!
Katrina Marie (10/19/96)
Xander Ryan (09/22/98 - 02/23/99)
Gareth Xander (07/17/00) Zachary Mitchell
Theona Alexis (06/03/03) (01/12/94, fostered 09/05/01 - 07/23/03)

Akuvikate
October 23rd 03, 07:29 PM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...

> I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P
>

> Phoebe :)

Worth a call to a milk bank (or perhaps a local hospital -- I dunno if
it's always processed through the banks) just to see if their rules
are the same...

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003

Phoebe & Allyson
October 23rd 03, 08:20 PM
teapot wrote:

> Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
>>I can't donate blood anymore, because I lived in Germany. :P
>>
> I've never heard of that - is there a reason?

Well, the reasoning as I understand it is that I might have
eaten meat contaminated by mad cow disease (BSE), and since
it has such a long incubation period, I wouldn't know it,
but I might still be carrying prions in my bloodstream, and
then whoever got my blood would also get the prions and
develop CJD.

At this rate, once the generation of older donors dies off,
there won't be anyone eligible to give blood.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Phoebe & Allyson
October 23rd 03, 08:30 PM
Akuvikate wrote:

> Worth a call to a milk bank (or perhaps a local hospital -- I dunno if
> it's always processed through the banks) just to see if their rules
> are the same...

The Austin milk bank, which is the only one close to me, has
a "5 years in Europe" rule, and I pass that one. But they
want at least 100 ounces, and it would hard for me to give
up 50 ounces of milk that Caterpillar could drink. At the
moment, I can get excess milk for the freezer, but when I go
back to work (probably more than full time) in January, I
might need that milk.

I do think milk banking is a great idea, though, and if it
looks like I could get up to 100 oz they'll take, we'll go
that route.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Lara
October 24th 03, 06:05 AM
ted > wrote:

> Do you mind posting it to the group? I hope they forgive the off topic
> this one time.
===
> Lara,
> Do you have a "recipe" for this soap somewhere?
> Also where do I get the supplies?

You'll get the recipe from your supplier - it varies depending on the
soap base. I buy in Perth, which is unlikely to help you. Google your
town or state and "soap shreds", "soap base" "rebatching" "soapmaking
supplies", that sort of thing; or join a local soaping group or email
list and ask.

Lara