PDA

View Full Version : darn nipple pain- help!

mike and dena
October 23rd 03, 02:07 AM
Well, Zachary is 2 mos old and still nursing like a champ, weighed 13lbs at
his wbv! Yeah! Unfortunately, however, Sunday night my nipples started
hurting. They feel raw, but don't look like anything is wrong with them. I
thought it must be a yeast infection, and took diflucan to head it off till
I could see the doc. It was the 1 dose kind, but it didn't help, and I
assumed we were sharing yeast, but doc says we are both fine. Now I gotta
figure out what the deal is. His latch is fine, not doing anything
different. Any ideas?
*As a side note, weird thing at the doc. Z wasn't circumcised, and the doc
asked today if I wanted it done. She said insurance wouldn't pay for it
after 12 months, because after that age they have to use anesthetic. I was
shocked. I thought it was only done at birth, or soon after unless as an
adult the man wants it done. When I commented, she said that they actually
strap the baby to a board and do it just like they do at birth right up
until age 1! The horrors.....
I know it is personal preference, but if I was going to have it done I
certainly would get it over with ASAP, not when the baby was older.
jmho.....
TIA for advise-
Dena

Joy
October 23rd 03, 02:31 AM
"mike and dena" wrote:
> *As a side note, weird thing at the doc. Z wasn't circumcised, and the doc
> asked today if I wanted it done. She said insurance wouldn't pay for it
> after 12 months, because after that age they have to use anesthetic.

OMG! Like an 11-month-old infant isn't going to feel it, but a 13-month-old
will, so they "have" to use anesthetic then? I'm not a big fan of circ in
newborns, but this is really beyond the pale.

My 6-month-old screams like I'm torturing him when I clean his face with a
warm washcloth--I think he'd have a stroke if he were strapped down and cut.

-Joy

mike and dena
October 23rd 03, 02:44 AM
That's about what I thought. Z's dad isn't circ, so I never even gave it a
second thought. But it seems to me cutting off part of his "wenis" isn't a
very good way to welcome a baby to the world!
But I was truly shocked that they would do it that way. Guess that is a
notch in the column for docs don't always know best.....
Dena