PDA

View Full Version : Teeth question

Jodie
October 23rd 03, 04:15 PM
DD (almost 9 months) now has seven teeth. For the most part, she has
been very gentle with me while nursing. Aside from a couple of episodes
of clamping down after the teeth came in, followed by mommy's screams,
we are doing OK.

2 questions, though... When she nurses, it feels like her teeth are
scraping my breast. Is this normal? Sometimes it feels "sharp", if
that makes any sense, but she is not biting, it is while she is nursing.

Also, how do you unlatch a sleeping baby and remove your nipple without
the teeth scraping you? Not a problem when she's done nursing and she
is awake (except for the sudden popping off to watch her brother or
sister when she "forgets" to open her mouth wide... OUCH!), but when she
falls asleep at the breast, I stick my finger in to break the suction,
but I just can't figure out how to get my nipple out without the
scraping. Seems like it is one motion ie, put finger in, break suction,
nipple pops out, all at once. Make sense?

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Jodie

Herself
October 23rd 03, 05:40 PM
Jodie > wrote:

> 2 questions, though... When she nurses, it feels like her teeth are
> scraping my breast. Is this normal? Sometimes it feels "sharp", if
> that makes any sense, but she is not biting, it is while she is nursing.

Is it pressure? Sometimes when P is done, I look down and can see teeth
marks around the nipple. Not biting, but some pressure. Still haven't
figured out a way around that. He now does it cause he's tired, and
gets lazy while nursing.

> Also, how do you unlatch a sleeping baby and remove your nipple without
> the teeth scraping you? Not a problem when she's done nursing and she
> is awake (except for the sudden popping off to watch her brother or
> sister when she "forgets" to open her mouth wide... OUCH!), but when she
> falls asleep at the breast, I stick my finger in to break the suction,
> but I just can't figure out how to get my nipple out without the
> scraping. Seems like it is one motion ie, put finger in, break suction,
> nipple pops out, all at once. Make sense?

I normally wait til the nipple falls out of his mouth, when he's that
asleep...
--
'Tis Herself

Vicki S
October 23rd 03, 05:52 PM
(Jodie) wrote:
> Also, how do you unlatch a sleeping baby and remove your nipple
> without the teeth scraping you? ... when she falls asleep
> at the breast, I stick my finger in to break the suction,
> but I just can't figure out how to get my nipple out without
> the scraping.

with my dd, i have to insert my finger between her teeth and force them
apart just enough to get out of there.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995

Clisby
October 23rd 03, 06:35 PM
Jodie wrote:
> DD (almost 9 months) now has seven teeth. For the most part, she has
> been very gentle with me while nursing. Aside from a couple of episodes
> of clamping down after the teeth came in, followed by mommy's screams,
> we are doing OK.
>
> 2 questions, though... When she nurses, it feels like her teeth are
> scraping my breast. Is this normal? Sometimes it feels "sharp", if
> that makes any sense, but she is not biting, it is while she is nursing.
>
> Also, how do you unlatch a sleeping baby and remove your nipple without
> the teeth scraping you? Not a problem when she's done nursing and she
> is awake (except for the sudden popping off to watch her brother or
> sister when she "forgets" to open her mouth wide... OUCH!), but when she
> falls asleep at the breast, I stick my finger in to break the suction,
> but I just can't figure out how to get my nipple out without the
> scraping. Seems like it is one motion ie, put finger in, break suction,
> nipple pops out, all at once. Make sense?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Jodie

Which finger do you use? I had read about using the little finger, but
that *never* worked for me. I had to insert my index finger to break
my son's latch.

Clisby