PDA

View Full Version : Advil or Tylenol

Rob and Laura
October 23rd 03, 08:18 PM
How many mg of Tylenol or advil can one take while breastfeeding? Are you
limited? I have one bad headache and not too sure how many I am allowed to
take.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Circe
October 23rd 03, 08:24 PM
"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
> How many mg of Tylenol or advil can one take while breastfeeding? Are you
> limited? I have one bad headache and not too sure how many I am allowed to
> take.

Both are safe, though I believe ibuprofen (Advil) is preferred for
lactation. After my third child was born, I was prescribed 800mg of
ibuprofen for perineal discomfort, so I'd say you could take at least that
much.

Beth Kevles
October 23rd 03, 08:25 PM
Hi -

The dosage, as far as I know, doesn't change while breastfeeding. Just
be aware that a small amount of what you take MAY pass through your
breastmilk to your baby. This poses no risk to your baby, but be aware
of it should you need to give a pain reliever to your baby in the next
12 hours.

Not a medical opinion, of course,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Rob and Laura
October 23rd 03, 08:36 PM
Thank you. For some reason I had thought you were limited to the mg that you
are allowed to take.

So is advil better? I guess just regular strength though or anything is
better as well?

--

"Beth Kevles" > wrote in message

> Hi -
>
> The dosage, as far as I know, doesn't change while breastfeeding. Just
> be aware that a small amount of what you take MAY pass through your
> breastmilk to your baby. This poses no risk to your baby, but be aware
> of it should you need to give a pain reliever to your baby in the next
> 12 hours.
>
> Not a medical opinion, of course,
> --Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the
milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.
>
> NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
> like me to reply.

iphigenia
October 23rd 03, 09:21 PM
Rob and Laura wrote:
> Thank you. For some reason I had thought you were limited to the mg
> that you are allowed to take.
>
> So is advil better? I guess just regular strength though or anything
> is better as well?

Actually, they work well together. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer, and if I
catch the headache really early I can sometimes successfully treat it with
two Advil, two Tylenol, and a Coke or a coffee.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Naomi Pardue
October 27th 03, 01:19 PM
>Thank you. For some reason I had thought you were limited to the mg that you
>are allowed to take.

This is late, but any dose of these drugs that would be safe for you is
perfectly safe for your baby. You'd be in the hospital with an overdose long
before you'd do your nursing baby any harm.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)