PDA

View Full Version : types of cereal?

Vijay
November 20th 03, 01:55 AM
Hi. I recently started my 6 month old DD on rice cereal. Just a few
spoonfuls once a day to start getting her used to sitting in the high
chair and eating from a spoon. She seems to like it.

My husband is getting a little overexcited that she is "eating solids"
now (it's really a total of 1-2 tablespoons of prepared cereal) and he
bought her oat cereal with bananas already in it. Is it too soon to
introduce another grain and a fruit? I thought you were supposed to do
single grain then a single vegetable?

I know this has nothing to do with breastfeeding, but I read so much
conflicting info out there and I trust you guys.

Thanks,

-V.

Phoebe & Allyson
November 20th 03, 04:04 AM
Vijay wrote:

> My husband is getting a little overexcited that she is "eating solids"
> now (it's really a total of 1-2 tablespoons of prepared cereal) and he
> bought her oat cereal with bananas already in it. Is it too soon to
> introduce another grain and a fruit? I thought you were supposed to do
> single grain then a single vegetable?

I don't think it really matters what order you introduce in,
but I'd try plain oat cereal and plain bananas before trying
them mixed. A veggie in the mix wouldn't hurt anything, but
no veggie wouldn't be the end of the world.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

iphigenia
November 20th 03, 03:53 PM
Vijay wrote:
> My husband is getting a little overexcited that she is "eating solids"
> now (it's really a total of 1-2 tablespoons of prepared cereal) and he
> bought her oat cereal with bananas already in it. Is it too soon to
> introduce another grain and a fruit? I thought you were supposed to do
> single grain then a single vegetable?

How long has she been on the rice cereal? If it's been a few days and she
shows no reaction, go ahead and introduce another fruit or grain. However,
it's better to introduce them separately; if she proves to be fine with both
the oats and the bananas, then go ahead and offer the mix cereal.

I know it's pretty exciting when they start eating solids, but you might
want to emphasize to your DH that it's a process that should be approached
deliberately and cautiously.

Have you seen Dr. Sears' overview on infant/toddler feeding?
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Naomi Pardue
November 21st 03, 12:21 AM
>. Is it too soon to
>introduce another grain and a fruit? I thought you were supposed to do
>single grain then a single vegetable?

Wait a couple of days after starting the rice, then you can try either oats or
bananas, then either bananas or oats. After that, it's fine to give them mixed.
(No law says you have to give veggies before fruits!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)