PDA

View Full Version : Hale's look up please

Lora R
November 20th 03, 05:18 PM
Hello,

My 7 week old son and I have thrush! One of the things I was
prescribed was a cream for my nipples called Ketoconazole Cream, 2%.
I think that's the generic name, the brand name is Nizoral. I looked
it up on Google Groups, and found that one person's doctor said it
wasn't to be used during breastfeeding. So now I'm worried! I've
only applied it once, and will wash it off with soap and water before
he nurses. I don't know much about how topical medications affect
breastmilk.

Thanks for any info on this medication.

-Lora

iphigenia
November 20th 03, 08:44 PM
Lora R wrote:
> My 7 week old son and I have thrush!

My sympathies : (

> One of the things I was
> prescribed was a cream for my nipples called Ketoconazole Cream, 2%.
> I think that's the generic name, the brand name is Nizoral. I looked
> it up on Google Groups, and found that one person's doctor said it
> wasn't to be used during breastfeeding. So now I'm worried! I've
> only applied it once, and will wash it off with soap and water before
> he nurses. I don't know much about how topical medications affect
> breastmilk.

It's an L2 and is approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers. I'm not
sure why you didn't get prescribed fluconazole (Diflucan) which is more
effective in fighting candidiasis, though. As to washing it off - I'm not
sure it'd be necessary. In Jack Newman's protocol on treating candida, he
suggests applying clotrimazole or miconazole sparingly to the nipples and
says NOT to wash it off before nursing. Clotrimazole and miconazole are
similar to ketoconazole, but I can't find any specific information on
ketoconazole, so take that into account.

Topical medications, as a general rule, excrete into breastmilk in
clinically insignificant, if not undetectable levels.

Also, you might want to also try some other yeast fighters; yeast can be
stubborn. Wash things that come in contact with the affected areas with hot
water and vinegar. Acidophilus (available in caplets or naturally occurring
in yogurt), grapefruit seed extract, and gentian violet are all good
antifungals.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Lora R
November 21st 03, 12:04 AM
iphigenia wrote:

> Lora R wrote:
> > My 7 week old son and I have thrush!
>
> My sympathies : (

Thanks! I think we caught it really early, because I was paranoid
about it happening and had memorized the symptoms. The baby doesn't
have any spots or sores in his mouth, but does have a rash on his bum.

> > One of the things I was
> > prescribed was a cream for my nipples called Ketoconazole Cream, 2%.
> > I think that's the generic name, the brand name is Nizoral. I looked
> > it up on Google Groups, and found that one person's doctor said it
> > wasn't to be used during breastfeeding. So now I'm worried! I've
> > only applied it once, and will wash it off with soap and water before
> > he nurses. I don't know much about how topical medications affect
> > breastmilk.
>
> It's an L2 and is approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers. I'm not
> sure why you didn't get prescribed fluconazole (Diflucan) which is more
> effective in fighting candidiasis, though. As to washing it off - I'm not
> sure it'd be necessary. In Jack Newman's protocol on treating candida, he
> suggests applying clotrimazole or miconazole sparingly to the nipples and
> says NOT to wash it off before nursing. Clotrimazole and miconazole are
> similar to ketoconazole, but I can't find any specific information on
> ketoconazole, so take that into account.

Thank you so much for looking this up. After doing some reading about
thrush, I am also wondering why I wasn't prescribed diflucan. Here is
what I'm doing to treat this: Ketoconazole on my nipples after each
feed, Lamisil on my baby's diaper rash 4 times a day, I'm taking 3
acidophilus caplets per day. I also washed all my bras, sheets,
nursing pads in hot water and am currently using disposable nursing
pads changed after every feed. We don't use bottles so I don't have
to worry about washing that stuff.

So this means that my baby also was not prescribed anything to put in
his mouth. I did ask the doctor about this, and she said that since
he doesn't have any sores or white spots in his mouth that he doesn't
need the Nystatin. ???? After reading I see that this really isn't
true, and I called his pediatrician. They told me the same thing. If
I do the treatment that I am doing, is it likely to go away or should
I specifically request nystatin tomorrow so that we take care of this
swiftly? My symptoms are currently mild. I have mildly sore, bright
pink/red nipples and it's kind of achy right under my nipples.

Thanks again for your information!!

-Lora

iphigenia
November 21st 03, 03:50 AM
Lora R wrote:

> So this means that my baby also was not prescribed anything to put in
> his mouth. I did ask the doctor about this, and she said that since
> he doesn't have any sores or white spots in his mouth that he doesn't
> need the Nystatin. ????

Chances are he will soon. When I had thrush, it was definitely pretty
painful on my nipples before Gabe had patches in his mouth. It's really
almost pointless to treat one half of a nursing pair for nipple thrush, as
you'll almost certainly just end up passing it back and forth.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

Lora R
November 21st 03, 03:52 PM
iphigenia wrote:

> Lora R wrote:
> >
> > So this means that my baby also was not prescribed anything to put in
> > his mouth. I did ask the doctor about this, and she said that since
> > he doesn't have any sores or white spots in his mouth that he doesn't
> > need the Nystatin. ????
>
> Chances are he will soon. When I had thrush, it was definitely pretty
> painful on my nipples before Gabe had patches in his mouth. It's really
> almost pointless to treat one half of a nursing pair for nipple thrush, as
> you'll almost certainly just end up passing it back and forth.

Thanks again. Well, crumb. It's frustrating that both doctor's
offices seem to think he doesn't need treatment, when I've learned
different. I will call today and request Diflucan as well as a
treatment for his mouth. Hopefully they'll take my word for it and
just call it in. The creams are helping somewhat, but it doesn't feel
very thorough.

Thanks,
Lora