PDA

View Full Version : Iphigenia, you're famous! :-)

Tatjana Farkin
November 24th 03, 02:57 PM
Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)

Here's the link
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,275297,00.html

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

iphigenia
November 24th 03, 03:10 PM
Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
> of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
> news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)

Cool! It was in Newsweek, too : ) Thanks for letting me know.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Melissa
November 24th 03, 03:26 PM
I saw you in Newsweek too and smiled because I (sort of) know you.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> > Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
> > of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
> > news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)
> >

> Cool! It was in Newsweek, too : ) Thanks for letting me know.
>
> --
> tristyn
> www.tristyn.net
> "i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
> i do not think that they will sing to me."

Herself
November 24th 03, 03:39 PM
Here's an...interesting translation of it:

"chests are more than advertising arguments for beer"

Women in the prueden America go on the barricades: They expose publicly
their chests. However not, in order to make itself nackig to satisfy but
around their children.

Tristyn Underwood, 28, nut/mother and housewife from Murray in the US
state Utah, demonstrated to satisfying their children with DIANE call
and 14 further mothers against the domestic "Burger King" with one "to
only-be".

Cause for the action was an employee of the Bulettenbraeters, which a
Mrs. satisfying in the play corner of the restaurant forbidden and which
had requested nut/mother to give to their new generation on the toilet
the chest.

Underwood explained, which must recognize "humans that chests are more
than advertising arguments for the beer paragraph". And nut/mother call
supplemented, her satisfies by no means in the public, in order to close
and say "halfnaked: "He, looks. I have moepse."

A group with the name "Natural Mothers" announced country-wide for the
coming weeks only SE in.

--
'Tis Herself

Belphoebe
November 24th 03, 03:50 PM
Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
> of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
> news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)
>
> Here's the link
> http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,275297,00.html

Eek! Translation engines are a little scary: I did a Google "translate
this page," and the title became "Chests are more than advertising arguments
for beer." Iphigenia is described as "nut/mother and housewife from Murray
in the US state Utah."

--
Belphoebe

Tatjana Farkin
November 24th 03, 04:11 PM
"Herself" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Here's an...interesting translation of it:

Babelfish? I haven't laughed so hard for a while - thanks :-)

> "chests are more than advertising arguments for beer"

The word used really does mean 'breast', not chest.

> Women in the prueden America go on the barricades: They expose
publicly
> their chests. However not, in order to make itself nackig to satisfy
but
> around their children.
>
> Tristyn Underwood, 28, nut/mother and housewife

LOL. We always knew it, you're a nut ;-)

Eh, I think I'll try myself at a translation of the article.

Women in 'prude America' go on the barricades: They expose their breasts
in public. However they don't do it in order to expose themselves
stark-naked but to breastfeed their children.

Tristyn Underwood, 28, mother and housewife from Murray, Utah, Diane
Call and 14 other mothers demonstrated with a 'nurse-in' at their local
Burger King.

The reason for this demonstration was an employee of this burger place
who had told a woman it was forbidden to nurse in the play area of the
restaurant and who had told her to nurse her little one in the restroom
instead.

Underwood explained that 'people have to realise that breasts are more
than a marketing argument for beer sales'. And mother Diana Call added
that she was by no means breastfeeding in public in order to 'jump
around half-naked and say: "Look here, I have boobs."'.

A group called "Natural Mothers" announced nationwide 'nurse-ins' for
the coming weeks.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

Tatjana Farkin
November 24th 03, 04:13 PM
"Belphoebe" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Iphigenia is described as "nut/mother

Thing is, the German word 'Mutter' is also used for what is called a nut
or bolt in DIY (metal rings that fit around screws), and of course the
software doesn't know which term to use so it offers both - ergo
'nut/mother'.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

Dawn Lawson
November 24th 03, 04:36 PM
Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> "Belphoebe" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Iphigenia is described as "nut/mother
>

> Thing is, the German word 'Mutter' is also used for what is called a nut
> or bolt in DIY (metal rings that fit around screws)

This is a hilarious thread in itself!
(btw, a nut is the metal ring, threaded on the inside that goes around a
bolt (which is a cylidrical threaded connector with a blunt end) usually
after the bolt is passed through the material it's holding together.
A screw is a threaded tapered metal connector, normally doesn't use a
bolt, has a sharp end for piercing the material it's used in (usually
wood or metal)

Dawn, nitpicking or offering more precise description, depending on
whether clarity irritates you or not. ;-))

Buzzy Bee
November 24th 03, 05:23 PM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:57:38 +0100, "Tatjana Farkin"
> wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
>of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
>news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)
>
>Here's the link
>http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,275297,00.html

Googling shows she was quoted in the NY Post as well.

My husband has been quoting her non-stop since I told him about it :)

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Tatjana Farkin
November 24th 03, 07:09 PM
"Dawn Lawson" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> > "Belphoebe" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> >>Iphigenia is described as "nut/mother
> >

> > Thing is, the German word 'Mutter' is also used for what is called a
nut
> > or bolt in DIY (metal rings that fit around screws)
>
> This is a hilarious thread in itself!
> (btw, a nut is the metal ring, threaded on the inside that goes around
> bolt (which is a cylidrical threaded connector with a blunt end)

Ah, ok! DH avoids all things DIY, so I really don't have the vocab to
talk DIY in English! :-)

> A screw is a threaded tapered metal connector, normally doesn't use a
> bolt, has a sharp end for piercing the material it's used in (usually
> wood or metal)

Hm, I think 'screw' and 'bolt' use the same term in German, I've never
distinguished between blunt or pointed ends. But maybe I don't have the
German DIY vocab, either! Lol.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

Dawn Lawson
November 24th 03, 07:29 PM
Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> "Dawn Lawson" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>

>>Tatjana Farkin wrote:

>>>Thing is, the German word 'Mutter' is also used for what is called a
>
> nut
>
>>>or bolt in DIY (metal rings that fit around screws)
>>
>>This is a hilarious thread in itself!
>>(btw, a nut is the metal ring, threaded on the inside that goes around

>>bolt (which is a cylidrical threaded connector with a blunt end)
>

> Ah, ok! DH avoids all things DIY, so I really don't have the vocab to
> talk DIY in English! :-)

*g* no problem, I'd say there's a very high number of native English
speakers that don't know the difference nor the practicalities of their
specific uses. (Generally a bolt requires that there already BE a hole
in the material, where a screw makes a hole (hence the point))

>>A screw is a threaded tapered metal connector, normally doesn't use a
>>bolt, has a sharp end for piercing the material it's used in (usually
>>wood or metal)
>

> Hm, I think 'screw' and 'bolt' use the same term in German, I've never
> distinguished between blunt or pointed ends. But maybe I don't have the
> German DIY vocab, either! Lol.

Quite possible. Curious, as German is usually pretty good at having a
word for everything. Very useful in some disciplines (dressage,
ferinstance) as what takes a paragraph in English is one (albeit a bit
long) word in German.

Dawn

iphigenia
November 24th 03, 08:56 PM
Herself wrote:
> nut/mother and housewife from Murray in the US

My sister Babelfished it for me, I agreed that "nut/mother" was a pretty
good description ; )

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

iphigenia
November 24th 03, 08:57 PM
Buzzy Bee wrote:
> Googling shows she was quoted in the NY Post as well.
>
> My husband has been quoting her non-stop since I told him about it :)

LOL. Good on him : )

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

Tatjana Farkin
November 24th 03, 08:58 PM

> Tatjana Farkin wrote:
> > "Dawn Lawson" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > nut

> >>This is a hilarious thread in itself!
> >>(btw, a nut is the metal ring, threaded on the inside that goes
around

> >>bolt (which is a cylidrical threaded connector with a blunt end)
> >

> > Ah, ok! DH avoids all things DIY, so I really don't have the vocab
> > talk DIY in English! :-)
>
> *g* no problem, I'd say there's a very high number of native English
> speakers that don't know the difference nor the practicalities of
their
> specific uses. (Generally a bolt requires that there already BE a hole
> in the material, where a screw makes a hole (hence the point))

I think hubby calls that one a 'self-screwing screw' :-)

> Quite possible. Curious, as German is usually pretty good at having a
> word for everything. Very useful in some disciplines (dressage,
> ferinstance) as what takes a paragraph in English is one (albeit a bit
> long) word in German.

That's because German can combine words into compound nouns ad nauseam
.... But in general, when you translate from English to German you go
from a concise paragraph to a wordy monster twice the length!

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

Irrational Number
November 25th 03, 03:35 AM
iphigenia wrote:
> Tatjana Farkin wrote:
>
>>Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the title
>>of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's major weekly
>>news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name ;-)
>
> Cool! It was in Newsweek, too : ) Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have a link to the Newsweek article?

(My husband thinks your quote is hilarious!)

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Buzzy Bee
November 25th 03, 12:15 PM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:58:35 +0100, "Tatjana Farkin"
> wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

>I think hubby calls that one a 'self-screwing screw' :-)

Self-tapping screw. Most screw require a hole smaller than the screw
be drilled (or they are fiendishly difficult to screw in). So for 5mm
screw you would drill a 4mm hole. The point allows it to start
digging in to the sides of the hole. When you're screwing into
softwood, though, you can use a self tapping screw and just make a
tiny hole with a bradawl (or, indeed a thumb tack/drawing pin) to
start it off.

And that is how I built a set of shelves using only a cordless
screwdriver :)

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Belphoebe
November 25th 03, 03:18 PM
Irrational Number wrote:
> iphigenia wrote:
>> Tatjana Farkin wrote:
>>
>>> Your "breasts are not just for selling more beer" comment is the
>>> title of an article about the Burger King Nurse-In in Germany's
>>> major weekly news magazine! And you're quoted with your full name
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Cool! It was in Newsweek, too : ) Thanks for letting me know.
>
> Do you have a link to the Newsweek article?

Anita, the _Newsweek_ article was a collection of quotes. Here's the URL:

<http://www.msnbc.com/news/994234.asp?cp1=1>

Funny thing, someone picked it up and put it in his blog, but misunderstood
and thought iphigenia was the mom who was asked to stop nursing:

<http://marketingdriven.blogspot.com/>
***
Breast-In?

Great quote in this week's Newsweek Perspective section, one that keys on
the sexual sell we are all subjected to. Apparently, Murray, Utah resident
Tristyn Underwood was asked to stop nursing her baby at the local Burger
King. So she and 15 other nursing mothers staged a "nurse-in" at the place.
Love this quote: People need to realize breasts are for more than selling
beer." Amen.
***

--
Belphoebe

Charlotte M.
November 29th 03, 04:31 AM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> Here's an...interesting translation of it:
>
> "chests are more than advertising arguments for beer"

I have not laughed this hard in ages!!

Great work, Iphigenia!

BTW... do you feel at all misquoted...?

--