PDA

View Full Version : thyroid replacement

Dagny
November 25th 03, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
while bfing?

H Schinske
November 25th 03, 11:03 PM
wrote:

>Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
>while bfing?

The short answer is "Unpredictably." See your doctor ;-)

--Helen

Dagny
November 25th 03, 11:33 PM
"H Schinske" > wrote in message
> wrote:
> >
> >Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
> >while bfing?
>
> The short answer is "Unpredictably." See your doctor ;-)
>
> --Helen

Is there a long answer?

Nic
November 25th 03, 11:44 PM
in message

> Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
> while bfing?

maybe you should drop in to the alt.support.thyroid group and ask there.
Or go see your doctor about it.

I would assume yes it would need to change but as my father suffers from it
and changes his medicine once a year at the doctors request I dont really
know.

Nic

New York Jen
November 26th 03, 12:55 AM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
> while bfing?

I've been on the same dosage of Synthroid since I was 18 (I'm 32 now) and I
have it checked about every 6 months. I had it checked during pregnancy
with Laszlo and while I was breastfeeding and it's never changed.

Not saying it's the rule by any means, but it's my own personal experience.
You should have it checked if you notice any changes in your metabolism
(lack/increase of energy, increased/decreased appetite, etc.)

- Jen

Karen
November 26th 03, 02:13 AM
"Dagny" > wrote in message . net>...
> Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
> while bfing?

Depends. It may not need to change at all (personally I've usually
needed an adjustment up which I think is typical). My endo wants me in
at 6-8 weeks pp for a check and then again in 6 months or sooner if I
get symptomatic. A matter of fact I'm waiting for him to call me back
with my last set of labs.

Karen

Dagny
November 26th 03, 06:19 AM
"Karen" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dagny" > wrote in message
. net>...
> > Does anyone know how thyroid replacement needs tend to change over time
> > while bfing?
>
> Depends. It may not need to change at all (personally I've usually
> needed an adjustment up which I think is typical). My endo wants me in
> at 6-8 weeks pp for a check and then again in 6 months or sooner if I
> get symptomatic. A matter of fact I'm waiting for him to call me back
> with my last set of labs.
>
> Karen

None of my doctors could predict but the doctor who is actually prescribing
for me said, I dunno, up? I was on a horse dose by the end of the pregnancy
and stayed on that and may bump it up a little at 6 weeks postpartum because
I'm starting to go a little cold.

Kathy Cole
November 26th 03, 01:23 PM
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:19:00 GMT, "Dagny" > wrote:

> None of my doctors could predict but the doctor who is actually
> prescribing for me said, I dunno, up? I was on a horse dose by the
> end of the pregnancy and stayed on that and may bump it up a little
> at 6 weeks postpartum because I'm starting to go a little cold.

It would be more typical for you to ramp down at the six week visit
(you're hypo-, right?), though ramping up is not unheard of. My
pregnant synthroid requirement was three times my non-pregnant dose.

My OB managed my thyroid issues, which were uncovered during pregnancy.
Her policy, is to run a six-week check after each dosage change until
labs are normal/symptoms are alleviated. I think I had to make two
ramping-down adjustments before settling at my current dose, which gets
re-evaluated annually.

(That dose ramp-down happened as I was exclusively pumping for my
youngest.)

Dagny
November 26th 03, 02:57 PM
"Kathy Cole" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:19:00 GMT, "Dagny" > wrote:
>
> > None of my doctors could predict but the doctor who is actually
> > prescribing for me said, I dunno, up? I was on a horse dose by the
> > end of the pregnancy and stayed on that and may bump it up a little
> > at 6 weeks postpartum because I'm starting to go a little cold.
>
> It would be more typical for you to ramp down at the six week visit
> (you're hypo-, right?), though ramping up is not unheard of. My
> pregnant synthroid requirement was three times my non-pregnant dose.

Yes, my pregnant replacement ended up at exactly 3x nonpregnant by the last
month (which is what I'm still on). This was quite unexpected to me, most
articles say you're looking at 150% max.

> My OB managed my thyroid issues, which were uncovered during pregnancy.
> Her policy, is to run a six-week check after each dosage change until
> labs are normal/symptoms are alleviated. I think I had to make two
> ramping-down adjustments before settling at my current dose, which gets
> re-evaluated annually.
>
> (That dose ramp-down happened as I was exclusively pumping for my
> youngest.)

My OB recommended blood work every 4-6 weeks during lactation (which we did
during the pregnancy ALWAYS requiring upward adjustment), but since I have
been able to predict blood work results and self-adjust to normal, my FP and
I have decided to forgo blood work. I am just wondering, from other
people's experiences, what to expect generally. Thanks!

-- Dagny

Karen
November 29th 03, 03:33 PM
"Dagny" > wrote in message . net>...
> "Kathy Cole" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:19:00 GMT, "Dagny" > wrote:
> >
> > > None of my doctors could predict but the doctor who is actually
> > > prescribing for me said, I dunno, up? I was on a horse dose by the
> > > end of the pregnancy and stayed on that and may bump it up a little
> > > at 6 weeks postpartum because I'm starting to go a little cold.
> >
> > It would be more typical for you to ramp down at the six week visit
> > (you're hypo-, right?), though ramping up is not unheard of. My
> > pregnant synthroid requirement was three times my non-pregnant dose.
> >

> Yes, my pregnant replacement ended up at exactly 3x nonpregnant by the last
> month (which is what I'm still on). This was quite unexpected to me, most
> articles say you're looking at 150% max.

See there you go. I've never needed an adjustment during pregnancy (3
since I was diagnosed). It's AFTER that I go haywire and often need an
increase in dosage and that's where I stay. In almost 7 years I've
only gone up never down in dosage. Started at 100 mcg and have worked
my way up to 175 mcg now. I wouldn't be surprised if I am on 200mcg
before the end of the year.

karen