PDA

View Full Version : Now I have Caterpillar's cold

Phoebe & Allyson
November 26th 03, 06:21 PM
Bleah. I got through an entire pregnancy without being
sick, and am all out of practice. Vaporizer and hot water
with honey and lemon and ibuprofen and DM cough syrup and
cough drops are not cutting it. I'm dying for a dose of
Sudafed, but I really don't want to risk a supply dip when
Caterpillar needs extra fluids. (She gets to take baby
Sudafed, which is drying, but probably won't have too many
more doses, as she only gets snuffly at night.)

Any suggestions? I've got a horrible dry hacking cough
that's tearing my throat up, and just enough sinus drainage
to keep the cough going. Cough syrup is helping keep the
involuntary coughing to an almost-tolerable minimum, but
then my lungs fill up (much more so when I'm lying down) and
I have to cough anyhow. Caterpillar wakes up screaming
whenever I cough at night, so both of us would be happier if
I were well.

Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Nina
November 26th 03, 07:01 PM
baby in arms...
i had horrid cough entire 8th month, it was horrible.I couldnt STOP
coughing. Dr gave me a med w/codeine. I got a small cough the other day, DR
gave me same medication. Im hesitant to take it, but if I have to...

Take some Sudafed and push fluids,the lackof sleep and constant coughing
wont help u get better any sooner.

"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Bleah. I got through an entire pregnancy without being
> sick, and am all out of practice. Vaporizer and hot water
> with honey and lemon and ibuprofen and DM cough syrup and
> cough drops are not cutting it. I'm dying for a dose of
> Sudafed, but I really don't want to risk a supply dip when
> Caterpillar needs extra fluids. (She gets to take baby
> Sudafed, which is drying, but probably won't have too many
> more doses, as she only gets snuffly at night.)
>
> Any suggestions? I've got a horrible dry hacking cough
> that's tearing my throat up, and just enough sinus drainage
> to keep the cough going. Cough syrup is helping keep the
> involuntary coughing to an almost-tolerable minimum, but
> then my lungs fill up (much more so when I'm lying down) and
> I have to cough anyhow. Caterpillar wakes up screaming
> whenever I cough at night, so both of us would be happier if
> I were well.
>
> Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P
>
> Phoebe :)
> --
> yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Herself
November 26th 03, 07:56 PM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:

> Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P

Eek!! Go take a long hot shower or bath...breathe in the steam.

And don't cook tomorrow...you'd be insane. Make Allyson do it :-)
--
'Tis Herself

New York Jen
November 26th 03, 11:42 PM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Bleah. I got through an entire pregnancy without being
> sick, and am all out of practice. Vaporizer and hot water
> with honey and lemon and ibuprofen and DM cough syrup and
> cough drops are not cutting it. I'm dying for a dose of
> Sudafed, but I really don't want to risk a supply dip when
> Caterpillar needs extra fluids. (She gets to take baby
> Sudafed, which is drying, but probably won't have too many
> more doses, as she only gets snuffly at night.)
>
> Any suggestions? I've got a horrible dry hacking cough
> that's tearing my throat up, and just enough sinus drainage
> to keep the cough going. Cough syrup is helping keep the
> involuntary coughing to an almost-tolerable minimum, but
> then my lungs fill up (much more so when I'm lying down) and
> I have to cough anyhow. Caterpillar wakes up screaming
> whenever I cough at night, so both of us would be happier if
> I were well.
>
> Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P
>
> Phoebe :)

Oh I'm so sorry and can totally commiserate, Laszlo was kind enough to share
the exact same cold with me. The good news is that I had one HORRIBLE day
(last night into today) and that I got a little bit of sleep and feel a lot
better...Laszlo's doing much much better too, so hopefully you'll be done
suffering real soon.

Good luck with the turkey preparations! Hope Caterpillar enjoys her first
Thanksgiving.

- Jen

KC
November 27th 03, 01:47 AM
I use the cough syrup with expectorant and suppressant, so I cough
less, but when I cough it is very productive. Expectorant is good
stuff.

I commiserate. Jessi and I (and my dh and other dd for that matter)
have all had this cold which we suspect could be flu based on
duration. It's been a real drag.

KC

Phoebe & Allyson > wrote in message >...
> Bleah. I got through an entire pregnancy without being
> sick, and am all out of practice. Vaporizer and hot water
> with honey and lemon and ibuprofen and DM cough syrup and
> cough drops are not cutting it. I'm dying for a dose of
> Sudafed, but I really don't want to risk a supply dip when
> Caterpillar needs extra fluids. (She gets to take baby
> Sudafed, which is drying, but probably won't have too many
> more doses, as she only gets snuffly at night.)
>
> Any suggestions? I've got a horrible dry hacking cough
> that's tearing my throat up, and just enough sinus drainage
> to keep the cough going. Cough syrup is helping keep the
> involuntary coughing to an almost-tolerable minimum, but
> then my lungs fill up (much more so when I'm lying down) and
> I have to cough anyhow. Caterpillar wakes up screaming
> whenever I cough at night, so both of us would be happier if
> I were well.
>
> Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P
>
> Phoebe :)

CY
November 27th 03, 02:26 AM
I take Benadryl or Claritin when I have cold - not sure if it would work for
you, but it seems to ease my stuffiness and "dripping"! I never noticed a
supply dip. Just remember to keep drinking! Really hope you feel better
soon!

CY
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Bleah. I got through an entire pregnancy without being
> sick, and am all out of practice. Vaporizer and hot water
> with honey and lemon and ibuprofen and DM cough syrup and
> cough drops are not cutting it. I'm dying for a dose of
> Sudafed, but I really don't want to risk a supply dip when
> Caterpillar needs extra fluids. (She gets to take baby
> Sudafed, which is drying, but probably won't have too many
> more doses, as she only gets snuffly at night.)
>
> Any suggestions? I've got a horrible dry hacking cough
> that's tearing my throat up, and just enough sinus drainage
> to keep the cough going. Cough syrup is helping keep the
> involuntary coughing to an almost-tolerable minimum, but
> then my lungs fill up (much more so when I'm lying down) and
> I have to cough anyhow. Caterpillar wakes up screaming
> whenever I cough at night, so both of us would be happier if
> I were well.
>
> Oh, and I'm supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. :P
>
> Phoebe :)
> --
> yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Phoebe & Allyson
November 27th 03, 05:56 PM
Herself wrote:

> How many will be at your house?!

Allyson and me, Ah-mah, Grandma and Grandpa, and
Caterpillar. Since 4 of us live here and the other 2 come
over all the time, I'm not even cleaning. They can eat at
the (tiny) kitchen table or on the couch or on the futon or
clean the dining room table themselves. :)

> What's up with turkey A? Where did you get it?

It was a perfectly good turkey of definite edibility - a
year ago. Or maybe two years ago. It's been living in the
bottom of a freestanding manual-defrost freezer since then.
Allyson ate the neck about an hour ago and said it tasted
fine, so I have high hopes for edibility. (There were 2 or
3 bits that weren't covered by skin, and look
freezer-burned, but I think the skin protected the remainder.)

> I guess Thanksgiving has to evolve into a multi-cultural
> celebration... (this is me trying to be tactful...did it work?)

Bwahaha. The last time I made a turkey (2 years ago),
Ah-mah made so much Chinese food that even with 11 people
eating, 90% of the stuff I made was leftover. Last year, I
cooked nothing. This year, Ah-mah requested I make a turkey
and is apparently cooking nothing. (She offered to make
brocolli in garlic sauce for vegetarian Grandpa, but I
explained he'd have plenty of food.)

> Grandpa sounds like a hoot. Er, not. :-)

Grandpa is fine in small doses, and I've had 30 years of
practice igoring him. He actually makes a pretty decent
babysitter, since he lives in fear of Allyson.

> Hope you have fun!!

The vaporizer in the bedroom seems to have done the trick.
I feel pretty good, Turkey A is in the oven (and a lovely
color on the back - it's just time to flip it over),
Caterpillar is napping with Ah-mah, Allyson is watching ET,
and I'm reading the advertisements to see if there's
anything I'm willing to brave traffic for tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Phoebe & Allyson
November 27th 03, 10:41 PM
An update:

The turkey of questionable edibility was delicious. Gravy
(thickened with rice flour) was delicious. Dairy-free
mashed potatoes were delicious. Those are my favorites, so
I didn't eat anything else. :)

Ah-mah did, at the last minute, stir-fry broccoli for
Grandpa, who politely ate it.

I now have half a turkey carcass in the (too small for the
whole carcass) crock pot, a tupperware of white meat
leftovers, a tupperware of gravy leftovers, and a tupperware
of mashed potato leftovers. Dark meat (which I won't eat)
went with Grandma (who prefers it).

Caterpillar is napping with Allyson.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Herself
November 28th 03, 09:02 AM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:

> An update:
>
> The turkey of questionable edibility was delicious. Gravy
> (thickened with rice flour) was delicious. Dairy-free
> mashed potatoes were delicious. Those are my favorites, so
> I didn't eat anything else. :)

Yay!!! And you sound pretty good... :-)

We had cornbread pudding with ours, vegan (it's easier to say vegan when
you're avoiding dairy and eggs). You'd love it. It went the fastest...

Awww...bless.

> I now have half a turkey carcass in the (too small for the
> whole carcass) crock pot, a tupperware of white meat
> leftovers, a tupperware of gravy leftovers, and a tupperware
> of mashed potato leftovers. Dark meat (which I won't eat)
> went with Grandma (who prefers it).

Heheh...ours wouldn't fit in our fridge, so I asked if my friends could
put it in theirs (they live 4 doors up the road, and are like
family...open door policy between our houses). And dirty dishes all
over the kitchen. I gotta get cleaning...after I go get glasses!

> Caterpillar is napping with Allyson.

And Phoebe gets some time to herself :-)
--
'Tis Herself

Irrational Number
November 29th 03, 03:08 AM
Herself wrote:
> Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:
>
>>Allyson will spend the day watching football and eating
>>turkey wings. Ah-mah hopefully won't get in the way, but
>>may attempt to make a full spread of Chinese food to
>>accompany the turkey(s). Caterpillar will be amused /
>>taunted by Grandpa, probably with some completely
>>inappropriate food.
>
> Well...I guess Thanksgiving has to evolve into a multi-cultural
> celebration... (this is me trying to be tactful...did it work?)

Hey, don't knock the multi-cultural thing until you've
tried it! My husband was shocked the first time he
had turkey at my parents' house and saw that we all
eat turkey with chopsticks. ;) (It does work...)

Phoebe - hope you feel better!

-- Anita --

P.S. My mother wanted to have Pillbug lick the jam,
lick the cheeseburger... I've been holding her back
like crazy. Now she's working overtime to "buy bananas"
for Christmas 'cause that's what we're going to start
with.

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Herself
November 29th 03, 10:14 AM
Irrational Number > wrote:

> Hey, don't knock the multi-cultural thing until you've
> tried it! My husband was shocked the first time he
> had turkey at my parents' house and saw that we all
> eat turkey with chopsticks. ;) (It does work...)

We got P a pair of starter chopsticks (the ones that are plastic and one
piece...look like a giant M), and he ate udon noodles with them last
week :-).

And I'm not being...strange, but how do you cut the turkey? :-) On your
plate, I mean.

> Phoebe - hope you feel better!

Hopefully she does now...a day off...feet up :-)

> P.S. My mother wanted to have Pillbug lick the jam,
> lick the cheeseburger... I've been holding her back
> like crazy. Now she's working overtime to "buy bananas"
> for Christmas 'cause that's what we're going to start
> with.

So she's going bananas? Ahahahahahahhahahhaa...I crack myself up.
--
'Tis Herself

Phoebe & Allyson
November 29th 03, 07:15 PM
Herself wrote:

> how do you cut the turkey? :-)

I'd treat it like any other bigger-than-a-bite food. Hold
carved slice of turkey in chopsticks, dip in gravy / sauce,
bite off chunk, repeat or return to plate/bowl as needed.
It takes a little practice to bite off a piece without
dropping the rest.

>>Phoebe - hope you feel better!
>
> Hopefully she does now...a day off...feet up :-)

Thanks, both of you! I seem to be on the mend, barring the
cough which will probably linger.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Herself
November 30th 03, 09:19 AM
Phoebe & Allyson > wrote:

> Herself wrote:
>
> > how do you cut the turkey? :-)
>
> I'd treat it like any other bigger-than-a-bite food. Hold
> carved slice of turkey in chopsticks, dip in gravy / sauce,
> bite off chunk, repeat or return to plate/bowl as needed.
> It takes a little practice to bite off a piece without
> dropping the rest.

Duh. Yeah, smacking my forehead. Many times with a spider roll
*should* have clued me in with this one! Hey...ever tried Alton Brown's
cranberry dipping sauce?

Tart Cranberry Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 servings

1 pound frozen cranberries
2 cups orange juice
3 cups ginger ale
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 orange, zested

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan, (stainless steel)
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for
30 to 45 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.

Carefully puree with stick blender or blender until smooth. Check for
seasoning and serve in small ramekins.

> Thanks, both of you! I seem to be on the mend, barring the
> cough which will probably linger.

I do Ricola's...they work great for me.
--
'Tis Herself

Phoebe & Allyson
December 1st 03, 01:37 AM
Herself wrote:

> Tart Cranberry Dipping Sauce

Oooh, yum. Got to try that. :)

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Rachel
December 1st 03, 09:45 PM
Hmmm... sounds much better than our thanksgiving meal - a turkey and
swiss cheese sandwich in the airport! That's what we get for spending
the holiday in Canada, far away from my family members who can cook.
Julie's happy because she doesn't like all that "american" food
anyway.
Rachel, still craving turkey and pecan pie...