PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent thrush?

esther323
November 28th 03, 09:57 PM
My next baby is but a twinkle in my eye at this point, but I would really
like to breastfeed. What I would like to know is how can I prevent him/her
from getting thrush when born? My first had a rather thick coating on her
tongue pretty much right away, while still in the hospital. Of course I
pointed this out to a doctor on day 2 and they said to wipe it off. Huh.
Didn't figure out why she was screaming until 8 weeks.

Is there something I can do to myself so that the baby does get infected on
its way out?

Thanks.

esther323
November 29th 03, 03:58 AM
> Is there something I can do to myself so that the baby does get infected
on
> its way out?

Yikes, I meant "does not get infected" of course!

Vikki
November 29th 03, 04:14 PM
"esther323" > wrote in message
link.net...
> My next baby is but a twinkle in my eye at this point, but I would really
> like to breastfeed. What I would like to know is how can I prevent
him/her
> from getting thrush when born? My first had a rather thick coating on her
> tongue pretty much right away, while still in the hospital. Of course I
> pointed this out to a doctor on day 2 and they said to wipe it off. Huh.
> Didn't figure out why she was screaming until 8 weeks.
>
> Is there something I can do to myself so that the baby does get infected
on
> its way out?
>
> Thanks.

I don't know whether this will help but here's my experience...

Ever since I was a teenager I have suffered with thrush. I tried lots of
things but
couldn't get it to go away for any length of time. It just kept coming back
so I
learned to live with it.

Then I had my first baby. I had thrush within the first few days of
breastfeeding
which caused unbelievable nipple pain. Fortunately, it was diagnosed fairly
quickly.
I started taking acidophilus tablets. The thrush subsided and never
returned.
Once I forgot to take a tablet for a few days and it started to come back.
When
I took the acidophilus again it went away.

It might not work for everyone, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

esther323
November 29th 03, 05:42 PM
I don't have any symptoms but I will try taking the acidophilus during my
next pregnancy. Hopefully that will prevent my baby from getting when he or
she is born. Thank you!