PDA

View Full Version : Bottle-feeding as a tool to reinforce breastfeeding:

Chotii
November 30th 03, 12:52 AM
Published in the Journal of Human Lactation:

http://www.ilca.org/pubs/jhl/j18h1l10.pdf

Using these methods, perhaps we need not worry *quite* so much about
bottle/nipple preference having a devastating effect on breastfeeding.

--angela

P. G. Chavez
December 2nd 03, 07:21 PM
How very interesting. And, sounds reasonable to me! Thanks for posting
that.

I've been helping the wife of a co-worker with a newborn who didn't
regain his birth weight until past 3 weeks. She's been supplementing
with formula in a bottle, and I think these techniques could really help
her get back to exclusive breastfeeding.

-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]

Chotii wrote:

> Published in the Journal of Human Lactation:
>
> http://www.ilca.org/pubs/jhl/j18h1l10.pdf
>
> Using these methods, perhaps we need not worry *quite* so much about
> bottle/nipple preference having a devastating effect on breastfeeding.
>
> --angela

December 2nd 03, 09:36 PM
Chotii > wrote:

> Published in the Journal of Human Lactation:

> http://www.ilca.org/pubs/jhl/j18h1l10.pdf

> Using these methods, perhaps we need not worry *quite* so much about
> bottle/nipple preference having a devastating effect on breastfeeding.

While it sounds like a wonderful theory, it seems to assume that the baby will agree with it.
;) I think most BF babies end up taking which ever bottle you can convince them to take and not
necessarily the bottle that you think would be best for them to take. Also, my DS is very
particular about the position that he is in while bottle-feeding and never is happy in the
position that I first put him in. Since he has to have bottles (I work), I let him take
whatever bottle he wants in whatever position he wants and just am thankful that he's actually
eating while I'm gone...

Manda