PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old growth spurt?

jake's mom
November 30th 03, 02:17 AM
Haven't posted in a while---back at work and extremely busy. My DS--just
turned 6 months on the 23rd--has recently begun waking in the night. He has
eaten probably 5 times overnight for the past week and a half(unlike his
usual 1-2 feeds overnight). I am exhausted and am praying this is a growth
spurt or a teething phase. DH tries to get DS back to sleep when he first
wakes overnight--he has tried teethers, rocking, walking, etc.--DS just
screams until he gets the breast. (I would prefer DH not give a bottle
because I have a hard time keeping up with what DS drinks while I am at
work). He used to sleep 6-9 hours at a stretch but is now down to about 4
hours tops. Anybody else have similar experience with DS/DD? Did your
child resume sleeping a longer stretch on their own or did you have to break
them of a couple of night feeds? FWIW, DS starts out the night in his crib
.. . . after the first waking we co-sleep but he still keeps me awake
searching for my breast. I am longing for another 6-9 hour stretch of
sleep. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks, Robin

Rob and Laura
November 30th 03, 02:48 AM
I know Robin you do not want to hear this but at around 5.5 mths old
Izabella started the same thing, and to this day is still waking every other
hour at night, so for us it has not gotten better.
She starts off in her crib and than when she 1st wakes I put her in bed with
me. Its horrible she use to sleep 10-12 hours during the night and now its
every 2 hours or so shes up.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"jake's mom" > wrote in message
. com...
> Haven't posted in a while---back at work and extremely busy. My DS--just
> turned 6 months on the 23rd--has recently begun waking in the night. He
has
> eaten probably 5 times overnight for the past week and a half(unlike his
> usual 1-2 feeds overnight). I am exhausted and am praying this is a
growth
> spurt or a teething phase. DH tries to get DS back to sleep when he first
> wakes overnight--he has tried teethers, rocking, walking, etc.--DS just
> screams until he gets the breast. (I would prefer DH not give a bottle
> because I have a hard time keeping up with what DS drinks while I am at
> work). He used to sleep 6-9 hours at a stretch but is now down to about 4
> hours tops. Anybody else have similar experience with DS/DD? Did your
> child resume sleeping a longer stretch on their own or did you have to
break
> them of a couple of night feeds? FWIW, DS starts out the night in his
crib
> . . . after the first waking we co-sleep but he still keeps me awake
> searching for my breast. I am longing for another 6-9 hour stretch of
> sleep. Any suggestions or similar experiences?
>
> Thanks, Robin

teapot
November 30th 03, 05:14 PM
"jake's mom" > wrote in message >...
> Haven't posted in a while---back at work and extremely busy. My DS--just
> turned 6 months on the 23rd--has recently begun waking in the night. He has
> eaten probably 5 times overnight for the past week and a half(unlike his
> usual 1-2 feeds overnight). snip

Moo boy has been doing this for about 6 weeks now. I think he gest so
uncomfortable with this teeth that he wakes up and wants some comfort,
and the more he drinks the more he wees so that means 2 changes a
night and before I didn't change him at all.

snip
> I am longing for another 6-9 hour stretch of
> sleep.

ha ha ha, you and most of the mothers in the world as far as I gather,
6-9 hours, ha ha! I haven't slept more than 4 hours in a row since I
was 7 months pregnant.

teapot and the moo, a week to go until he's 6 months old

jake's mom
November 30th 03, 10:17 PM
"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
> I know Robin you do not want to hear this but at around 5.5 mths old
> Izabella started the same thing, and to this day is still waking every
other
> hour at night, so for us it has not gotten better.
> She starts off in her crib and than when she 1st wakes I put her in bed
with
> me. Its horrible she use to sleep 10-12 hours during the night and now its
> every 2 hours or so shes up.
>
> --
Did your ped. suggest the "cry it out" method to get Izabella to go back to
sleep? I just can't do that and I really can't see how it will work b/c DH
can't even console him. Does DD take naps during the day--DS doesn't even
nap more than 15 minutes once or twice a day. You would think he would be
as exhausted as I am!

Robin

Rob and Laura
November 30th 03, 10:48 PM
Her pedi does not suggest anything ( I really dislike him) But everyone else
says let her cry it out, there is no way I can EVER do this.
Izabella takes 2 naps a day if I am lucky and they will last about 15 min as
well its horrible. There are days she only takes one nap and that is it.
Its so hard. DH works graveyards, he comes home and goes to bed than I am
up with her all day running on fumes cause I am so tired. DH fails to
understand that not only do I have a job where I work from home but being
Izabella's mommy is a 24 hour job as well.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/

"jake's mom" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
> ble.rogers.com...
> > I know Robin you do not want to hear this but at around 5.5 mths old
> > Izabella started the same thing, and to this day is still waking every
> other
> > hour at night, so for us it has not gotten better.
> > She starts off in her crib and than when she 1st wakes I put her in bed
> with
> > me. Its horrible she use to sleep 10-12 hours during the night and now
its
> > every 2 hours or so shes up.
> >
> > --
> Did your ped. suggest the "cry it out" method to get Izabella to go back
> sleep? I just can't do that and I really can't see how it will work b/c
DH
> can't even console him. Does DD take naps during the day--DS doesn't even
> nap more than 15 minutes once or twice a day. You would think he would be
> as exhausted as I am!
>
> Robin

jake's mom
November 30th 03, 11:46 PM
"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
> Her pedi does not suggest anything ( I really dislike him) But everyone
else
> says let her cry it out, there is no way I can EVER do this.
> Izabella takes 2 naps a day if I am lucky and they will last about 15 min
as
> well its horrible. There are days she only takes one nap and that is it.
> Its so hard. DH works graveyards, he comes home and goes to bed than I am
> up with her all day running on fumes cause I am so tired. DH fails to
> understand that not only do I have a job where I work from home but being
> Izabella's mommy is a 24 hour job as well.
>
> --
I feel for you. Sometimes going to work is like a vacation! My sister
watches DS part time as I have changed my work schedule to spend more time
with DS. I work 4 am-noon because I did not want DS to be with someone else
9-10 hours a day. My sister used to say this age is the easiest. . . now
that she watches the little kling-on who only cat naps once for her she has
changed her tune! I can't let DS cry it out(even if it would work) so I'm
running on fumes right now also. Could you possibly let DH watch Izabella
while you do errands on a Saturday or Sunday so he might appreciate all you
do?

Robin

Rob and Laura
December 1st 03, 12:24 AM
(sorry I sent the post to your email by mistake!)

I wish I could have DH watch her, Rob works Sunday - Thursday so its
horrible. The only real day I have is saturday and thats when I do grocery
shopping! And sleeping..ha thats a luxury I wish I had back. I try to
sleep and DH keeps coming in saying shes hungry. I sure wish he had boobs
to feed her.
I have had no one watch Izabella at all. I have no family here and everyone
else we know works during the day. Like "regular" job hours.
I never have the heart to let Izabella cry it out. I go into the room and I
see tears on her face it just hurts me to see that I let her cry for so
long.

DH said tonight I cannot wait till you grow up and you can do things for
yourself. I said to him there adults out there that cannot do things for
themselves, and you want her to grow up!! Long time waiting yet!!!

I miss sleep so much that if given the time to sleep I doubt I would know
what to do.LOL

Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/

"jake's mom" > wrote in message
. com...
> Haven't posted in a while---back at work and extremely busy. My DS--just
> turned 6 months on the 23rd--has recently begun waking in the night. He
has
> eaten probably 5 times overnight for the past week and a half(unlike his
> usual 1-2 feeds overnight). I am exhausted and am praying this is a
growth
> spurt or a teething phase. DH tries to get DS back to sleep when he first
> wakes overnight--he has tried teethers, rocking, walking, etc.--DS just
> screams until he gets the breast. (I would prefer DH not give a bottle
> because I have a hard time keeping up with what DS drinks while I am at
> work). He used to sleep 6-9 hours at a stretch but is now down to about 4
> hours tops. Anybody else have similar experience with DS/DD? Did your
> child resume sleeping a longer stretch on their own or did you have to
break
> them of a couple of night feeds? FWIW, DS starts out the night in his
crib
> . . . after the first waking we co-sleep but he still keeps me awake
> searching for my breast. I am longing for another 6-9 hour stretch of
> sleep. Any suggestions or similar experiences?
>
> Thanks, Robin

jake's mom
December 1st 03, 01:43 AM
"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> (sorry I sent the post to your email by mistake!)
>
> I wish I could have DH watch her, Rob works Sunday - Thursday so its
> horrible. The only real day I have is saturday and thats when I do grocery
> shopping! And sleeping..ha thats a luxury I wish I had back. I try to
> sleep and DH keeps coming in saying shes hungry. I sure wish he had boobs
> to feed her.

LOL! That's the truth! I remember when DH would do that to me--I could be
in the shower or eating or using the restroom and DH would insist DS was
hungry! Now if DH tries to give DS a bottle of expressed milk I get
upset!( I am having a hard time keeping up with what DS drinks while he's
with my sister so any little bit of expressed milk is definitely gold.)
Poor fella, he can't win!

I have had no one watch Izabella at all. I have no family here and everyone
> else we know works during the day. Like "regular" job hours.

My other sister offered to keep DS overnight for us sometime--ha! ha! ha!
She said she kept my nephew overnight as a baby, mind you he wasn't
breastfed. I just laughed because I can only imagine the horrible night she
would have--as well as myself... wondering how DS was and if he was o.k.
I'm sorry you don't have family around to help out--that must be hard. I
don't have anybody keep DS unless necessary(other than the 2 times DH and I
have been out to eat) because of my shortage of expressed milk.

> I never have the heart to let Izabella cry it out. I go into the room and
> see tears on her face it just hurts me to see that I let her cry for so
> long.

The one time I let DS cry for a while I ended up crying with him! It's so
pitiful to see his face with streaks of tears along with his snotty nose
from crying so hard.

> DH said tonight I cannot wait till you grow up and you can do things for
> yourself. I said to him there adults out there that cannot do things for
> themselves, and you want her to grow up!! Long time waiting yet!!!

That's the truth!

> I miss sleep so much that if given the time to sleep I doubt I would know
> what to do.LOL

I know what you mean!

Robin

Rob and Laura
December 1st 03, 02:46 AM
I wish DD would take a bottle of EBM!! Good l uck in that. Though she will
drink water and all of that out of a cup with a straw but give her EBM in
there and NO WAY!! Its nuts.

We had one person DH's cousin asked if we wanted a break shortly after DD
was born. She said she would take her during the night time and we could go
out and see a movie and have dinner!! I was in heaven, but DH had put his
back out and of course we could not go. And she never asked us again. Boy I
would have LOVED to taken a raincheck anyday for that.

It hurts me so much to see DD cry. It makes me feel like its my fault, that
it was something that I did or did not do. I tried letting her cry it out
one time Robin and she cried for almost 8 hours it just broke my heart.

DH just left for his work tonight, DD is teething as ALWAYS!! and it does
seem like ALWAYS. Shes having tantrums and crying and oh my it just gets to
you sometimes. I can tell that this will be a long night.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/
"jake's mom" > wrote in message
om...

> "Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
> able.rogers.com...
> > (sorry I sent the post to your email by mistake!)
> >
> > I wish I could have DH watch her, Rob works Sunday - Thursday so its
> > horrible. The only real day I have is saturday and thats when I do
grocery
> > shopping! And sleeping..ha thats a luxury I wish I had back. I try to
> > sleep and DH keeps coming in saying shes hungry. I sure wish he had
boobs
> > to feed her.
> >
> LOL! That's the truth! I remember when DH would do that to me--I could
be
> in the shower or eating or using the restroom and DH would insist DS was
> hungry! Now if DH tries to give DS a bottle of expressed milk I get
> upset!( I am having a hard time keeping up with what DS drinks while he's
> with my sister so any little bit of expressed milk is definitely gold.)
> Poor fella, he can't win!
>
> I have had no one watch Izabella at all. I have no family here and
everyone
> > else we know works during the day. Like "regular" job hours.
>
> My other sister offered to keep DS overnight for us sometime--ha! ha! ha!
> She said she kept my nephew overnight as a baby, mind you he wasn't
> breastfed. I just laughed because I can only imagine the horrible night
she
> would have--as well as myself... wondering how DS was and if he was o.k.
> I'm sorry you don't have family around to help out--that must be hard. I
> don't have anybody keep DS unless necessary(other than the 2 times DH and
> have been out to eat) because of my shortage of expressed milk.
>
> > I never have the heart to let Izabella cry it out. I go into the room
and
> > see tears on her face it just hurts me to see that I let her cry for so
> > long.
>
> The one time I let DS cry for a while I ended up crying with him! It's so
> pitiful to see his face with streaks of tears along with his snotty nose
> from crying so hard.
>

> > DH said tonight I cannot wait till you grow up and you can do things for
> > yourself. I said to him there adults out there that cannot do things for
> > themselves, and you want her to grow up!! Long time waiting yet!!!
>
> That's the truth!
> >
> > I miss sleep so much that if given the time to sleep I doubt I would
know
> > what to do.LOL
> >
> I know what you mean!
>
> Robin

KC
December 1st 03, 05:55 AM
Jessi has been doing this for several weeks and she is 6.5 months old.
At first there was increased feedings during the day too, so that was
probably the growth spurt but the last few days she has not been too
interested in breastfeeding during the day and still going strong at
night. I think in our case she is too busy with development during
the day to eat enough, so is doing her eating at night,

KC