PDA

View Full Version : Fight with a friend

AlenasMom
December 2nd 03, 04:00 AM
Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.

She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you think
that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"

I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into another
room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler (since
when is a ten month old a toddler????) during the wedding!
I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it out during their vows, but
I will nurse her after the ceremony and during the reception which is 6
hours long! She's mad at this!

The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in the
bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she could mind
her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor eat in the
bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she said.

I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that my
bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D

But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and I
just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is disgusting and
shouldn't be done, ever. She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
because she was formula fed and she's just fine, and so was most of our
generation and we're smarter, healthier and stronger than previous
generations. (Not all true at all.)

Any advice???

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

She's A Goddess
December 2nd 03, 05:03 AM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
> bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
> All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
> my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
> I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.

<snip story of idiot friend>

> Any advice???

Umm...let her leave the wedding party? Seriously, in order to stand up for
the bride you've got to make the best of the situation which will probably
mean not discussing it with her. Maybe even have the "I know we disagree
about nursing...lets agree to disagree" conversation. It might just cause
you less stress to smile and nod if she does bring up breastfeeding rather
than fight back with her. Easier said than done, I know :)

Good luck!

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (27 months) and O. Boy (5 months)

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 05:37 AM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
> bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
> All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
> my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
> I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.
>
> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you
think
> that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"
>
> I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
> herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into another
> room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
> hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
> the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler (since
> when is a ten month old a toddler????) during the wedding!
> I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it out during their vows,
but
> I will nurse her after the ceremony and during the reception which is 6
> hours long! She's mad at this!
>
> The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in the
> bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she could mind
> her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor eat in the
> bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she said.
>
> I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that my
> bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D
>
> But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and I
> just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is disgusting and
> shouldn't be done, ever. She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
> because she was formula fed and she's just fine, and so was most of our
> generation and we're smarter, healthier and stronger than previous
> generations. (Not all true at all.)
>
> Any advice???
>

> --
> Lina
> Alena born July 1st, 2003
> www.maternalinstinctscanada.com
> validate the email address before sending.

It's not her business who else is in the wedding party. It is the brides
decision not hers and if she has a problem with you doing what's healthy for
both you and your child then let her leave the wedding party. Yes the bride
will be conflicted but unfortunately that's unavoidable. Don't think that by
you leaving instead that you will cause less stress on the bride, obviously
she wants you both there or she wouldn't have invited you both. Let the one
with the problem be the ass and walk out on the bride.
And IMO she is not *fine* she is an idiot and her behavior dictates that all
too clearly. I feel sorry for any children she has, her attitude is what's
disgusting. Snotty little stuck up twit needs to learn when to keep her
opinions to herself and not engage her mouth.
As far as the shower is concerned I wouldn't plan it with her. I would give
her a call and let her know that since she is so against your choices then
obviously you won't be able to agree on anything to do with the party and
either do it yourself or pick someone else to help you plan it. There is no
way I would opt to spend one more second than neccessary with someone who
told me my childrearing choices were disgusting.

Jen

Herself
December 2nd 03, 08:32 AM
badgirl > wrote:

> It's not her business who else is in the wedding party. It is the brides
> decision not hers and if she has a problem with you doing what's healthy for
> both you and your child then let her leave the wedding party. Yes the bride
> will be conflicted but unfortunately that's unavoidable. Don't think that by
> you leaving instead that you will cause less stress on the bride, obviously
> she wants you both there or she wouldn't have invited you both. Let the one
> with the problem be the ass and walk out on the bride.

Well said!!!

> And IMO she is not *fine* she is an idiot and her behavior dictates that all
> too clearly. I feel sorry for any children she has, her attitude is what's
> disgusting. Snotty little stuck up twit needs to learn when to keep her
> opinions to herself and not engage her mouth.

Damn...can't we have a world-wide meet? I gotta meet all of you!! This
is just...classic.

> As far as the shower is concerned I wouldn't plan it with her. I would give
> her a call and let her know that since she is so against your choices then
> obviously you won't be able to agree on anything to do with the party and
> either do it yourself or pick someone else to help you plan it. There is no
> way I would opt to spend one more second than neccessary with someone who
> told me my childrearing choices were disgusting.

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!

Okay, wait, I agree with everyone else, calling and saying "Let's put
this aside for the sake of our friend", but I'd LOVE to call this woman
up and tell her where she can shove her tired-ass story of "we're better
than previous generations" (yeah, all those chemicals pumped into you
from a young age...I bet you have ulcers, and heartburn, and and
and...well she must, since she's so uptight).

<snort> I love the Jens on here :-)
--
'Tis Herself

Herself
December 2nd 03, 08:32 AM
AlenasMom > wrote:

> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you think
> that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"

Come on...tell her about the mom on here who nursed til her daughter was
6. I can't remember who, but I DARE you!!! <heheheh>

> I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
> herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into another
> room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
> hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
> the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler (since
> when is a ten month old a toddler????) during the wedding!
> I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it out during their vows, but
> I will nurse her after the ceremony and during the reception which is 6
> hours long! She's mad at this!

No, get a nice satin sling made, to match the dresses, and nurse at the
altar :-).

> The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in the
> bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she could mind
> her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor eat in the
> bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she said.

Tell her to go eat her damn dinner in there...if no one else had a
problem, including the restaurant owner, than she shouldn't.

> I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that my
> bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D

Thank god for smart friends, eh?

> But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and I
> just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is disgusting and
> shouldn't be done, ever. She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
> because she was formula fed and she's just fine, and so was most of our
> generation and we're smarter, healthier and stronger than previous
> generations. (Not all true at all.)

Ask her about the huge rise in food allergies (ooooh, I kill myself).

Ask her why they are there then. And tell her that even the formula
makers say that NOTHING is as good as mama milk. So there. And know
that you are in the right, your friend the bride knows you're in the
right, and this woman is an ass :-).

<takes off Lactivist hat...ooohhh...we should get you one for next time
you see her!!!!>
--
'Tis Herself

DGoree
December 2nd 03, 02:02 PM
"AlenasMom" wrote,

<<She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
because she was formula fed and she's just fine, and so was most of our
generation and we're smarter, healthier and stronger than previous
generations. (Not all true at all.)>>

Yeah, well, I was formula fed and I'm not just fine. I wish every idiot who
has used this line (and it's been said to me) could experience what it was like
when I was so very ill with ulcerative colitis. And could share my experience
with annual colonoscopies for the rest of my life.

(yes, yes, I know that some people who are breastfed still develop bowel
disease, but formula feeding has been shown to raise the risk. I will never
know if being fed soy formula from birth is what tipped the scales for me but
you can bet it was a big factor in choosing to nurse my own children.)

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (2)

Karlee in Kansas
December 2nd 03, 02:50 PM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
| Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
| bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
| All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
| my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was
because
| I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.

<snippage>

| Any advice???

Hi Lina...it's me from the other group. The mouthy one. <grins> Since
I've had a lot of practice with the "AAP and WHO Guidelines Speech" (see my
previous ranting post about my idiot family, and earlier posts about morons
at my son's school) if you wanted to pass along her phone number I'd be
more than delighted to give her a run for her money. Not only would I give
her the Guidelines Rant but I'd throw in a "Grow Up And Act Your Age And
Not Your Shoe Size Rant" for good measure. In the mean time, realize that
as angry as you are (ok we all are) you can't change anyone unless they are
in diapers. Yes, she probably needs a "Legally Stupid" sign to warn
everyone, but I've found that getting anyone other than *our* dog to wear
it is a lot harder than it sounds. Keep the following points in mind...

1) People with their nose that far in the air are more likely to have a
nosebleed than those of us who see you on your level (the reverse is also
true...those who look down their nose at you will dump all the **** off
their brown nose into your lap...best to steer clear of them as well)
2) It is NOT *her* wedding to set the standards for. When she becomes a
bride, she can become bridezilla all she wants, but this is your other
friends wedding and the one in question should just keep her mouth shut,
and when such time occurs (she happens to get married), you can either opt
for or against being part of her wedding party if she requests it. Not her
wedding, not her rules.
3) People that are that snotty, and people that are rude about what is
REALLY best for the child, are probably rude to waiters. People that are
nice to you, but are not nice to waiters, are not nice people.
4) People that are considered snotty, stuck up, pedantic (I love that
word), rude, and selfish, are rarely happy people. They aren't happy, so
they insist that everyone around them be as miserable as they are, and will
go to any lengths to see that happen. If you need a real life story on
that, I'll tell you about the mother-in-law-from-hell. Surround yourself
with happy supportive people and tell the rest of em to go lay an egg.

Have some chocolate, treat yourself to a FQ and a bubble bath, visit my
"stress relief" post on the other ng and learn to dance the angry dance
(yes, all that stomping and whomping really does make you feel better).

Stick with us...we will help you through it, even if it means that we have
to call this chick en mass and open a can of whoopass on her.

Hugs,
Karlee in Kansas, probably not taking the most mature of all routes with
this, but sometimes you have to stoop to a new low to get your point
across.
Queen of Packrats
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

JennP
December 2nd 03, 03:21 PM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you
think
> that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"
>
> I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
> herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into another
> room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
> hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
> the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler

What a drama queen. Give me a f*&$ing break. It's not her wedding. Wait, let
me guess. She's not married yet and is living vicariously through the bride?
Ugh!

> I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that my
> bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D

Then she is who matters, not this bridesmaidzilla (didn't know there was
such thing? ;) Is this bridesmaid a friend or an aquaintance? If she's not a
friend then I would just chalk her up as kooky, grit your teeth and try to
get through the shower and all. If she gives you a hard time then just say,
"Well, <bride's name> doesn't have a problem with it and this is *her*
occasion not yours".

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 03:22 PM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> badgirl > wrote:
>
> > It's not her business who else is in the wedding party. It is the brides
> > decision not hers and if she has a problem with you doing what's healthy
for
> > both you and your child then let her leave the wedding party. Yes the
bride
> > will be conflicted but unfortunately that's unavoidable. Don't think
that by
> > you leaving instead that you will cause less stress on the bride,
obviously
> > she wants you both there or she wouldn't have invited you both. Let the
one
> > with the problem be the ass and walk out on the bride.
>
> Well said!!!

Thank you ;)

> > And IMO she is not *fine* she is an idiot and her behavior dictates that
all
> > too clearly. I feel sorry for any children she has, her attitude is
what's
> > disgusting. Snotty little stuck up twit needs to learn when to keep her
> > opinions to herself and not engage her mouth.
>
> Damn...can't we have a world-wide meet? I gotta meet all of you!! This
> is just...classic.

I'm in the Chicago area if you're ever close. I doubt you'd want to meet me
though, I'm awfully boring LOL

> > As far as the shower is concerned I wouldn't plan it with her. I would
give
> > her a call and let her know that since she is so against your choices
then
> > obviously you won't be able to agree on anything to do with the party
and
> > either do it yourself or pick someone else to help you plan it. There is
no
> > way I would opt to spend one more second than neccessary with someone
who
> > told me my childrearing choices were disgusting.
>
> WHOO HOO!!!!!!!
>
> Okay, wait, I agree with everyone else, calling and saying "Let's put
> this aside for the sake of our friend", but I'd LOVE to call this woman
> up and tell her where she can shove her tired-ass story of "we're better
> than previous generations" (yeah, all those chemicals pumped into you
> from a young age...I bet you have ulcers, and heartburn, and and
> and...well she must, since she's so uptight).

Yea, I kind of went into Bitch mode last night. I just couldn't believe
someone's *friend* would behave that way, especially at the cost of the
brides feelings. It is a priveledge to be asked to be a part of someones
wedding and frankly anyone that gets asked should feel special and act
accordingly but not in the selfish way IYKWIM.
We recently had a wedding to deal with, my daughter was invited to be a Jr
Bridesmaid, the bride isn't one of my favorite people (ok, I can't stand the
high maintenance little bitch) but I made it an extreme point to behave
myself and put my feelings aside so that things would go as smoothly as
possible for my daughter and for the bride.
I guess if it were someone in the mall or something making comments like
that I would have felt a little less strongly and not suggested such a
reaction, but this person is supposed to be a *friend*. Friends don't treat
eachother like that.

Ok, I'm now rambling ;)
Jen

> <snort> I love the Jens on here :-)
> --
> 'Tis Herself

Herself
December 2nd 03, 03:42 PM
Karlee in Kansas > wrote:

> Stick with us...we will help you through it, even if it means that we have
> to call this chick en mass and open a can of whoopass on her.

Damn, I love this group.
--
'Tis Herself

Herself
December 2nd 03, 03:49 PM
badgirl > wrote:

> I'm in the Chicago area if you're ever close. I doubt you'd want to meet me
> though, I'm awfully boring LOL

hehehe..yeah, but get us all into a room together, and we'd be
*classic*.

> We recently had a wedding to deal with, my daughter was invited to be a Jr
> Bridesmaid, the bride isn't one of my favorite people (ok, I can't stand the
> high maintenance little bitch) but I made it an extreme point to behave
> myself and put my feelings aside so that things would go as smoothly as
> possible for my daughter and for the bride.

And I say that doing that makes everyone a better person. I bet the
b*tch didn't even try to be civil. :-)

> I guess if it were someone in the mall or something making comments like
> that I would have felt a little less strongly and not suggested such a
> reaction, but this person is supposed to be a *friend*. Friends don't treat
> eachother like that.

Exactly.

> Ok, I'm now rambling ;)

Yeah, but it's soooo much fun to read!!! :-)
--
'Tis Herself

iphigenia
December 2nd 03, 04:00 PM
AlenasMom wrote:
>All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were
> talking about how my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I
> told her it was because I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.

Wow, sounds like a cool bridesmaid dress...

> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in
> a voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change
> the subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't
> you think that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"

*snort* Don't you feel powerful, that you can appall someone just by
nurturing your child? Man, I've never made someone turn pale, I'll have to
work on that...

> She said that she
> wasn't going to be in the wedding party if I was seriously going to
> be nursing my toddler (since when is a ten month old a toddler????)
> during the wedding!

Fine, let her leave.

> I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it
> out during their vows, but I will nurse her after the ceremony and
> during the reception which is 6 hours long! She's mad at this!

I really like the idea of a matching sling being made : )

> The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in
> the bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she
> could mind her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor
> eat in the bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she
> said.

Good for you. I can't believe she has the nerve to TELL you what to do!

> I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that
> my bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D

That so rocks.

> But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and
> I just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is
> disgusting and shouldn't be done, ever.

Richard's got a good point - she's got some drama going on, I'd take the
high road, approach her, and ask if you can put your differences of opinion
aside and get this shower planned, and if she can't, then offer to bow out
of the shower planning.

> She told me to my face that
> she'll never nurse because she was formula fed and she's just fine,
> and so was most of our generation and we're smarter, healthier and
> stronger than previous generations. (Not all true at all.)

I'd probably end up saying something like "You can think that if you like,
but scores of medical data prove that you're entirely wrong..." purely out
of exasperation!

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 04:23 PM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> badgirl > wrote:
>

> > We recently had a wedding to deal with, my daughter was invited to be a
Jr
> > Bridesmaid, the bride isn't one of my favorite people (ok, I can't stand
the
> > high maintenance little bitch) but I made it an extreme point to behave
> > myself and put my feelings aside so that things would go as smoothly as
> > possible for my daughter and for the bride.
>
> And I say that doing that makes everyone a better person. I bet the
> b*tch didn't even try to be civil. :-)

OMG that's a story all in itself. Let me just say you are SO right and by
the time it was over I was SEETHING. *smiling sweetly* But I still behaved,
not that she noticed.

Jen

December 2nd 03, 04:25 PM
badgirl > wrote:

> "Herself" > wrote in message
>> badgirl > wrote:
>>
>> > It's not her business who else is in the wedding party. It is the brides
>> > decision not hers and if she has a problem with you doing what's healthy
> for
>> > both you and your child then let her leave the wedding party. Yes the
> bride
>> > will be conflicted but unfortunately that's unavoidable. Don't think
> that by
>> > you leaving instead that you will cause less stress on the bride,
> obviously
>> > she wants you both there or she wouldn't have invited you both. Let the
> one
>> > with the problem be the ass and walk out on the bride.
>>
>> Well said!!!
>>

> Thank you ;)

>> > And IMO she is not *fine* she is an idiot and her behavior dictates that
> all
>> > too clearly. I feel sorry for any children she has, her attitude is
> what's
>> > disgusting. Snotty little stuck up twit needs to learn when to keep her
>> > opinions to herself and not engage her mouth.
>>
>> Damn...can't we have a world-wide meet? I gotta meet all of you!! This
>> is just...classic.
>>

> I'm in the Chicago area if you're ever close. I doubt you'd want to meet me
> though, I'm awfully boring LOL

I'm in Chicagoland, too, and am also boring. ;)

Manda

AlenasMom
December 2nd 03, 04:26 PM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> Karlee in Kansas > wrote:
>
> > Stick with us...we will help you through it, even if it means that we
have
> > to call this chick en mass and open a can of whoopass on her.
>
> Damn, I love this group.
> --
> 'Tis Herself

Me too. :D

AlenasMom
December 2nd 03, 04:30 PM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message
> AlenasMom wrote:
> >All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were
> > talking about how my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I
> > told her it was because I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.
> >

> Wow, sounds like a cool bridesmaid dress...

They're absolutely beautiful! They're going to be green velvet and cream
satin There is a cutaway in the front of the skirt. I'll try not to use too
many technical terms just in case... There's a sweet heart collar and an
A-line skirt, and I'm so in love with it already!!!

> > She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in
> > a voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change
> > the subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't
> > you think that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"
>
> *snort* Don't you feel powerful, that you can appall someone just by
> nurturing your child? Man, I've never made someone turn pale, I'll have
> work on that...

Yes. It's great! I like doing it just by wearing a certain piece of jewelry
too.

> > She said that she
> > wasn't going to be in the wedding party if I was seriously going to
> > be nursing my toddler (since when is a ten month old a toddler????)
> > during the wedding!
>
> Fine, let her leave.
>
> > I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it
> > out during their vows, but I will nurse her after the ceremony and
> > during the reception which is 6 hours long! She's mad at this!
> >

> I really like the idea of a matching sling being made : )

Me too. I'll probably do it for after the ceremony. We're going to be there
rather late, and Alena will need somewhere to sleep.

> > The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in
> > the bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she
> > could mind her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor
> > eat in the bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she
> > said.
>
> Good for you. I can't believe she has the nerve to TELL you what to do!
>

> > I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> > breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that
> > my bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D
> >

> That so rocks.
>
> > But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and
> > I just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is
> > disgusting and shouldn't be done, ever.
>
> Richard's got a good point - she's got some drama going on, I'd take the
> high road, approach her, and ask if you can put your differences of
opinion
> aside and get this shower planned, and if she can't, then offer to bow
out
> of the shower planning.
>
> > She told me to my face that
> > she'll never nurse because she was formula fed and she's just fine,
> > and so was most of our generation and we're smarter, healthier and
> > stronger than previous generations. (Not all true at all.)
>
> I'd probably end up saying something like "You can think that if you
like,
> but scores of medical data prove that you're entirely wrong..." purely
out
> of exasperation!
>
> --
> tristyn
> www.tristyn.net
> "i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
> i do not think that they will sing to me."

Sara
December 2nd 03, 05:29 PM
iphigenia wrote:

> Richard's got a good point - she's got some drama going on, I'd take the
> high road, approach her, and ask if you can put your differences of opinion
> aside and get this shower planned, and if she can't, then offer to bow out
> of the shower planning.

You all are so much more mature than I am. I want to encourage
AlenasMom to demonstrate that "in your face nursing" style we
discussed a few months ago...

--
Sara, accompanied by the napping barnacle

Lucy
December 2nd 03, 05:34 PM
> wrote in message ...
> badgirl > wrote:
> > I'm in the Chicago area if you're ever close. I doubt you'd want to meet
me
> > though, I'm awfully boring LOL
>
> I'm in Chicagoland, too, and am also boring. ;)
>
> Manda

Me too. Where are you all? I'm in the west suburbs.

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 05:49 PM
"Lucy" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message ...
> > badgirl > wrote:
> > > I'm in the Chicago area if you're ever close. I doubt you'd want to
meet
> me
> > > though, I'm awfully boring LOL
> >
> > I'm in Chicagoland, too, and am also boring. ;)
> >
> > Manda
>
> Me too. Where are you all? I'm in the west suburbs.

Woodridge here...SAHM, no schedule, no life LOL
Nicolas is 18 months.
Anyone wanna have a coffe/playdate kinda thing?

I'm gonna tell you first though that I smoke, so if that bugs you then it
might not be a good idea to meet. (and no I don't wanna hear it LOL)

Jen
*adding a few details just in case*

New York Jen
December 2nd 03, 06:15 PM
Just a thought...if you end up having it out with her...take our your boob
and give her a good squirt!

Ok, feeling aggravated, getting out some venom here...

back to your regularly scheduled programming...

- Jen
who just had an AWFUL hour in BJ's Wholesale with Laszlo who is a master at
the Terrible Two Dance...

"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
> bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
> All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
> my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
> I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.
>
> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you
think
> that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"
>
> I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
> herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into another
> room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
> hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
> the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler (since
> when is a ten month old a toddler????) during the wedding!
> I was so ****ed! I'm not planning on whipping it out during their vows,
but
> I will nurse her after the ceremony and during the reception which is 6
> hours long! She's mad at this!
>
> The worst was at dinner when she told, not asked!, me to go nurse in the
> bathroom. I told her that we were nursing at the table and she could mind
> her own business. I wasn't about to let my baby starve nor eat in the
> bathroom by a disgusting garbage can no matter what she said.
>
> I think I've royally ticked her off now, but luckily the bride is pro
> breastfeeding and is really supportive of me. She even insisted that my
> bodice do up in the front to accommodate the baby's nursing. :D
>
> But I'm worried. I have to plan the bridal shower with this woman and I
> just don't know what to say to her. She thinks nursing is disgusting and
> shouldn't be done, ever. She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
> because she was formula fed and she's just fine, and so was most of our
> generation and we're smarter, healthier and stronger than previous
> generations. (Not all true at all.)
>
> Any advice???
>

> --
> Lina
> Alena born July 1st, 2003
> www.maternalinstinctscanada.com
> validate the email address before sending.

Lucy
December 2nd 03, 06:20 PM
"badgirl" > wrote in message
> Woodridge here...SAHM, no schedule, no life LOL
> Nicolas is 18 months.
> Anyone wanna have a coffe/playdate kinda thing?

I live in Aurora and work in Lisle, so we're pretty close. My DD is just
over a year old.

Actually, it would be kind of fun to get together. However, I work full
time, so it would have to be on a weekend.

> I'm gonna tell you first though that I smoke, so if that bugs you then it
> might not be a good idea to meet. (and no I don't wanna hear it LOL)

As an ex-smoker myself, I can't really complain. I quit when I got pregnant
and thankfully have managed not to go back! As long as you're not going to
be blowing it in my daughter's face or anything! LOL.

Lucy

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 07:03 PM
"New York Jen" > wrote in message
> Just a thought...if you end up having it out with her...take our your boob
> and give her a good squirt!
>
> Ok, feeling aggravated, getting out some venom here...
>
> back to your regularly scheduled programming...
>
> - Jen
> who just had an AWFUL hour in BJ's Wholesale with Laszlo who is a master
at
> the Terrible Two Dance...

*snickers*
ok, so that IS something I would do....is that wrong? *giggle*

Jen

badgirl
December 2nd 03, 07:04 PM
"Lucy" > wrote in message

> "badgirl" > wrote in message
> > Woodridge here...SAHM, no schedule, no life LOL
> > Nicolas is 18 months.
> > Anyone wanna have a coffe/playdate kinda thing?
>
> I live in Aurora and work in Lisle, so we're pretty close. My DD is just
> over a year old.
>
> Actually, it would be kind of fun to get together. However, I work full
> time, so it would have to be on a weekend.
>
> > I'm gonna tell you first though that I smoke, so if that bugs you then
it
> > might not be a good idea to meet. (and no I don't wanna hear it LOL)
>
> As an ex-smoker myself, I can't really complain. I quit when I got
pregnant
> and thankfully have managed not to go back! As long as you're not going to
> be blowing it in my daughter's face or anything! LOL.
>
> Lucy

Naah, we could plan on something where it's more airy around than usual. Or
if we go out somewhere we can sit in nonsmoking and I can just wait.

Bub's up from his nap so I'm gonna make it short. But email me offlist if
you like, maybe we can plan something :D

Jen

Marnie
December 2nd 03, 07:41 PM
"Lucy" > wrote in message
> > I'm in Chicagoland, too, and am also boring. ;)
> >
> > Manda
>
> Me too. Where are you all? I'm in the west suburbs.

Me three, temporarily.
--
Marnie in Wayne, which no one has heard of, but it's near St. Charles
--

Marnie
December 2nd 03, 07:53 PM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
> She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
> because she was formula fed and she's just fine

Yay! Another bunch of future children for our kids to be superior to in
general health, incidence of allergies, IQ, cancer risk, weight control,
smelly diapers, etc etc etc. ;)

If you feel you need to patch things up for the sake of the bride, that's
lovely. Friend2 (sheesh! talk about issues) needs a slap upside the head,
but as BF has so little to do with the wedding, you can offer to agree to
disagree. I hope, for the nice bride's sake, she can get past it.
--
Marnie
--

New York Jen
December 2nd 03, 08:14 PM

"badgirl" > wrote in message

> "New York Jen" > wrote in message
> > Just a thought...if you end up having it out with her...take our your
boob
> > and give her a good squirt!
> >
> > Ok, feeling aggravated, getting out some venom here...
> >
> > back to your regularly scheduled programming...
> >
> > - Jen
> > who just had an AWFUL hour in BJ's Wholesale with Laszlo who is a master
> at
> > the Terrible Two Dance...
> >

> *snickers*
> ok, so that IS something I would do....is that wrong? *giggle*
>
> Jen

H Schinske
December 2nd 03, 08:45 PM
>"AlenasMom" > wrote in message
>> She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
>> because she was formula fed and she's just fine

Gad. I would have said "Good thing, because you'll probably produce battery
acid."

--Helen, who wouldn't really have said that at all IRL

teapot
December 2nd 03, 09:22 PM
"AlenasMom" > wrote in message rs.com>...
> Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
> bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
> All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
> my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
> I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.
>
> She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you think
> that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"

snip

Oh pass me a ladder for my high horse, the womans an idiot! You did
so well not to deck her one!

I'm extremely annoyed on your behalf!

teapot

December 2nd 03, 09:38 PM
Lucy > wrote:

> "badgirl" > wrote in message
>> Woodridge here...SAHM, no schedule, no life LOL
>> Nicolas is 18 months.
>> Anyone wanna have a coffe/playdate kinda thing?

> I live in Aurora and work in Lisle, so we're pretty close. My DD is just
> over a year old.

I'm in Aurora, too! :) I work in Chicago though so I've got a bit more of a commute!

Manda

Chotii
December 2nd 03, 10:00 PM
"Herself" > wrote in message
> AlenasMom > wrote:
>
> > She turned really pale and asked if I was serious. I told her yes (in a
> > voice that meant no nonsense to everyone else) and tried to change the
> > subject. She must have done the math in her head and said: "Don't you
think
> > that nursing at 10 months is a little excessive?"
>
> Come on...tell her about the mom on here who nursed til her daughter was
> 6. I can't remember who, but I DARE you!!! <heheheh>
>
> > I said no and told her that I plan to nurse until Alena's ready to wean
> > herself. She looked ill. She got up, excused herself and went into
another
> > room. The bride went and asked her what was wrong. They were still in
> > hearing distance, but not sight. She said that she wasn't going to be in
> > the wedding party if I was seriously going to be nursing my toddler
(since
> > when is a ten month old a toddler????) during the wedding!

This doesn't sound like a matter of 'always being a perfectionist about
manners'. This sounds like this lady has Issues with a capital Ish. I mean,
*who* turns *pale* at the very thought of breastfeeding a child at a wedding
(or anywhere else, for that matter)? That's a woman with a body-image
problem, who cannot imagine someone else having a different body image.

The other thing that springs to mind is, perhaps this woman was sexually
abused as a child? I've heard of situations where a woman was sexually
abused as a child, and *cannot* bring herself to suckle an infant as a
result, or even to think of it. I have a friend, in fact, who was sexually
abused as a child (by a woman) and cannot bring herself to be near my
children for more than a short while, and especially can't stand being
hugged and mauled by them, which of course the kids do to everybody they
like.

But I do have to agree: if the woman cannot allow the bride to have the
wedding as the bride sees fit, then the woman should not be in the wedding
party.

--angela

H Schinske
December 2nd 03, 10:51 PM
angela wrote:

>This doesn't sound like a matter of 'always being a perfectionist about
>manners'. This sounds like this lady has Issues with a capital Ish.

What a *great* expression. I must steal it.

I mean,
>*who* turns *pale* at the very thought of breastfeeding a child at a wedding
>(or anywhere else, for that matter)?

Well, to be fair, it sounded to me a little as though she thought the OP meant
to nurse *during the ceremony*, which might indeed be cause for a little
concern at a very formal wedding like this. Or that she meant to nurse with the
whole bodice half pulled down at the reception, which I also rather doubt.

Personally, if it were me and I wanted to carry the baby around and nurse her
whenever during the reception, I'd change out of the bridesmaid dress anyway,
but it doesn't sound like that kind of party. It sounds like "leaving the dance
floor for a while to go nurse the baby in Room X somewhere". In which case, I
don't see that it matters AT ALL whether you're feeding the baby breastmilk
from the tap, or strained bananas. It doesn't matter a damn to anyone else.

--Helen

Larry McMahan
December 2nd 03, 11:38 PM
AlenasMom > writes:
[...]

Yes. Stand right in front of the witch every time you have to nurse.

Sigh,
Larry

: --
: Lina
: Alena born July 1st, 2003
: www.maternalinstinctscanada.com
: validate the email address before sending.

Larry McMahan
December 3rd 03, 12:25 AM
OK. This is terrible bitchy advice. Read Richard's post instead
and do what he says.

:-)
Larry

Larry McMahan > writes:
: AlenasMom > writes:
[...]

: : --
: : Lina
: : Alena born July 1st, 2003
: : www.maternalinstinctscanada.com
: : validate the email address before sending.

Marvin L. Zinn
December 3rd 03, 01:21 AM
Lina,

> She told me to my face that she'll never nurse
> because she was formula fed and she's just fine,

Maybe it was the formula that made her stupid? Tell
her to take up her complaints with God, because He is
the one who gave you the ability to feed a baby as a
baby is made to be fed!

marvin

Marvin L. Zinn