PDA

View Full Version : rant

Anne Rogers
December 3rd 03, 12:33 PM
just went to see the consultant who is treating my PPD, it's not a nice
experience, 4 of them, 2 of us, the consultant, his house officer, a
psychiatric nurse and the ward sister, it was going fine and towards the
end the consultant asked us how Nathanael was, we talked about him and
mentioned that he is a good sleeper and takes a long afternoon nap etc.
then the ward sister started laying into us about how all this must be
because of the medication in my breastmilk and how I should stop
breastfeeding, she still went on at us even though we explained that he's
been like this for ages and there has been no change in the week since I
went on medication, then dh explained the results of all our research and
that we had decided it was best to carry on breastfeeding, still she went
on and on, eventually it ended and she left the room, the consultant said
to us, you argued your case very well. We know we are doing the right
thing, but given how I am at the moment I don't cope very well with this
kind of thing.

-----------
Anne Rogers

Lara
December 3rd 03, 12:40 PM
Anne Rogers > wrote:

> just went to see the consultant who is treating my PPD, it's not a nice
> experience, 4 of them, 2 of us, the consultant, his house officer, a
> psychiatric nurse and the ward sister, it was going fine and towards the
> end the consultant asked us how Nathanael was, we talked about him and
> mentioned that he is a good sleeper and takes a long afternoon nap etc.
> then the ward sister started laying into us about how all this must be
> because of the medication in my breastmilk and how I should stop
> breastfeeding, she still went on at us even though we explained that he's
> been like this for ages and there has been no change in the week since I
> went on medication, then dh explained the results of all our research and
> that we had decided it was best to carry on breastfeeding, still she went
> on and on, eventually it ended and she left the room, the consultant said
> to us, you argued your case very well.

Why should you have to "argue your case"? Why is this person still
involved in your care? Are you somehow compelled to deal with these
clueless people who are extraneous to your care? Are you placing a
formal complaint to the consultant or his/her superior about this
so-called health care "professional" who is practising
non-evidence-based care to the potential detriment of your son?

A psychiatric consult shouldn't be turned into a bizarre testing ground
where you are forced to singlehandedly defend breastfeeding.

Lara

Anne Rogers
December 3rd 03, 12:59 PM
> Why should you have to "argue your case"? Why is this person still
> involved in your care? Are you somehow compelled to deal with these
> clueless people who are extraneous to your care? Are you placing a
> formal complaint to the consultant or his/her superior about this
> so-called health care "professional" who is practising
> non-evidence-based care to the potential detriment of your son?

we are considering making a complaint, but we probably won't as if things
go as planned we shouldn't have to see this group of people again as I'm
being transfered to outpatient care, my first appointment with them is
tomorrow.

> A psychiatric consult shouldn't be turned into a bizarre testing ground
> where you are forced to singlehandedly defend breastfeeding.

quite right, particularly as if she listened to all the details she would
realise that breastfeeding is essential to my recovery.

Dawn Lawson
December 3rd 03, 04:33 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

>>Why should you have to "argue your case"? Why is this person still
>>involved in your care? Are you somehow compelled to deal with these
>>clueless people who are extraneous to your care? Are you placing a
>>formal complaint to the consultant or his/her superior about this
>>so-called health care "professional" who is practising
>>non-evidence-based care to the potential detriment of your son?
>

> we are considering making a complaint, but we probably won't as if things
> go as planned we shouldn't have to see this group of people again as I'm
> being transfered to outpatient care, my first appointment with them is
> tomorrow.
>

>>A psychiatric consult shouldn't be turned into a bizarre testing ground
>>where you are forced to singlehandedly defend breastfeeding.
>

> quite right, particularly as if she listened to all the details she would
> realise that breastfeeding is essential to my recovery.

Regardless of what she's listening to, the consultant should NOT have
left it up to you to sort her out nor waited til she left to offer you
some support. That's madness.

I would definately complain. If not for your sake, for the next mum who
is taken to task and hasn't got the self-assurance and information to
call the silly moo on her stupidity.

Dawn

Anne Rogers
December 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
> Regardless of what she's listening to, the consultant should NOT have
> left it up to you to sort her out nor waited til she left to offer you
> some support. That's madness.
>
> I would definately complain. If not for your sake, for the next mum who
> is taken to task and hasn't got the self-assurance and information to
> call the silly moo on her stupidity.

He did at the end of the consultation ask if she had anything to add, so
in that sense it was open for her to say what she wanted. He is not an
expert in medication and breastfeeding, he consulted the hospital pharmacy
for advice and passed it on. What she says is genuine, it's just only one
side of the arguement. I will consider making a complaint but I'm not sure
how to do it and nor am I very well right now, I still have another
outstanding complaint from when I was an in patient to make, I think I'll
just have to make a list to do at some point in the future.

badgirl
December 3rd 03, 07:27 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > Regardless of what she's listening to, the consultant should NOT have
> > left it up to you to sort her out nor waited til she left to offer you
> > some support. That's madness.
> >
> > I would definately complain. If not for your sake, for the next mum who
> > is taken to task and hasn't got the self-assurance and information to
> > call the silly moo on her stupidity.
>
> He did at the end of the consultation ask if she had anything to add, so
> in that sense it was open for her to say what she wanted. He is not an
> expert in medication and breastfeeding, he consulted the hospital pharmacy
> for advice and passed it on. What she says is genuine, it's just only one
> side of the arguement. I will consider making a complaint but I'm not sure
> how to do it and nor am I very well right now, I still have another
> outstanding complaint from when I was an in patient to make, I think I'll
> just have to make a list to do at some point in the future.

Anne, the main thing is for you to get yourself better. Don't worry about
making complaints if you really don't feel the energy to. I understand what
that feels like, to be so down and out of spare energy to just say to heck
with it and do what you can just for you every day.
*hugs*

Jen