PDA

View Full Version : BABY IS NOT GAINING WEIGHT

javalearner
December 5th 03, 04:51 AM
my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
leave his tummy empty.
my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
balanced food...
1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
60ml juice
600ml formula milk in a day
2Tbl spoons of friut salad
full breast feed at night.

i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
body..everything else is fine.
thanks in advance
cheers

Nina
December 5th 03, 05:13 AM
It is possible that he is going to be small and is just now leveling out. My
son and daughter were both in the 90th adn above percentiles for weight at
birth, after a while my son slowly dropped. He was a big baby but wasnt
meant to be a large child. My daughter was large for a while, she is now 8
and off the charts for her height, but merely 50% for weight.
I would cut out the juice. It seems that the fruit salad AND half a banana
AND juice are too much. Perhaps add a meat and a vegetable instead.
"javalearner" > wrote in message
om...
> my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> leave his tummy empty.
> my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
> balanced food...
> 1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
> 4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
> 60ml juice
> 600ml formula milk in a day
> 2Tbl spoons of friut salad
> full breast feed at night.
>
> i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
> any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
> can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
> body..everything else is fine.
> thanks in advance
> cheers

Clisby
December 5th 03, 11:13 AM
javalearner wrote:
> my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> leave his tummy empty.
> my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
> balanced food...
> 1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
> 4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
> 60ml juice
> 600ml formula milk in a day
> 2Tbl spoons of friut salad
> full breast feed at night.
>
> i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
> any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
> can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
> body..everything else is fine.
> thanks in advance
> cheers

Maybe he's just naturally small at this point. My son was in the 25th
percentile at birth, the 10th percentile by the time he was a year old,
and at 18 months was in the 5th percentile. The doctor wasn't concerned
(his height was also in the 5th percentile, so he was perfectly
proportioned.)

Clisby

Heather
December 5th 03, 11:13 AM
In article >,
(javalearner) wrote:

> my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> leave his tummy empty.
> my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
> balanced food...
> 1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
> 4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
> 60ml juice
> 600ml formula milk in a day
> 2Tbl spoons of friut salad
> full breast feed at night.
>
> i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
> any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
> can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
> body..everything else is fine.
> thanks in advance
> cheers

Well, all children are different. However, around that age weight gain
does slow down some and maybe that's what you're seeing. From what your
posting, I don't see anything to really worry about, but it appears that
you are very concerned. I can understand that. My daughter has always
been in the 5th - 10th percentile for weight and height. She's smaller
than all of the kids in her age group at daycare and some of the kids
from the age group below her.

At 11 months, my daughter started eating more table foods, but she was
still getting primary nutrition from breast milk. She didn't have any
juice until 2 months ago and she is 18mo. now. Right now she's getting
ready to grow taller because she's been eating like we forgot to feed
her for two weeks and getting that telltale little pot belly. Even
though her shape changes like that, she gains very little weight at a
time. :D She's right around 20 pounds.

Heather H.

Beth Kevles
December 5th 03, 01:05 PM
Hi -

Remember that a baby's size at birth has very little to do with his size
as a baby or child.

Birth size and weight has a lot to do with when the baby is born
(relative to due date), maternal health, and the genetics of getting
born.

Baby size and weight has nothing to do with those factors, but instead
depends upon the genes passed on from his parents. What were you and
your husband like as babies? Was either of you, or a close relative, on
the skinny side? If so, just remember you can't fight genetics! Maybe
your baby is *supposed* to be small.

If your baby is producing plenty of diapers and is developing well in
all other respects, and your family history would suggest that
skinniness is normal, then I wouldn't fret too much. Stay in touch with
your ped., of course, since there are some medical conditions that can
keep babies underweight, but these conditions usually have other
symptoms as well.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

javalearner
December 5th 03, 06:15 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message >...
> It is possible that he is going to be small and is just now leveling out. My
> son and daughter were both in the 90th adn above percentiles for weight at
> birth, after a while my son slowly dropped. He was a big baby but wasnt
> meant to be a large child. My daughter was large for a while, she is now 8
> and off the charts for her height, but merely 50% for weight.
> I would cut out the juice. It seems that the fruit salad AND half a banana
> AND juice are too much. Perhaps add a meat and a vegetable instead.

Thanks for give me your advice.....i'll cut the juice and wont give
him banana and fruit salad together in one day......either banana or
fruit salad in one day so that he can take more meat or vegge. it
helps him to get healthier. if u have more suggestions for baby food
then plz tell me as this is my first baby and i have no lady here from
my family who can take care of him with me....my son little fussy in
eating he wants everything sweet. is that ok to give him everything
sweet....i mean not too sweet but little sweet...as he doesn't like
vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
in that and then he take it.
banana,mangoshake,milkshake,icecream,cake,all sweet things he wants to
eat....is that ok to give him this type of food?
i will ask u few more questions next time regarding his food if u
don't mind.
thanks
cheers

Leslie
December 5th 03, 06:29 PM
>as he doesn't like
>vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
>in that and then he take it.

I wouldn't encourage that, or you may end up with a child who only wants to
eat sweets. I suggest that whatever you have been adding sugar to, you slowly
reduce the amount you are adding until you aren't adding any. For example, if
you are adding one tablespoon right now, tomorrow only add two teaspoons and
do that for a couple of days, then move down to one, then to one-half, etc.
And give him some naturally sweet choices like sweet potatoes and carrots.

Other "healthier" sweets could be yogurt smoothies or fruit smoothies.

Leslie

Nina
December 5th 03, 06:41 PM
"javalearner" > wrote in message
om...
> "Nina" > wrote in message
> > It is possible that he is going to be small and is just now leveling
out. My
> > son and daughter were both in the 90th adn above percentiles for weight
at
> > birth, after a while my son slowly dropped. He was a big baby but wasnt
> > meant to be a large child. My daughter was large for a while, she is now
8
> > and off the charts for her height, but merely 50% for weight.
> > I would cut out the juice. It seems that the fruit salad AND half a
banana
> > AND juice are too much. Perhaps add a meat and a vegetable instead.
>

> Thanks for give me your advice.....i'll cut the juice and wont give
> him banana and fruit salad together in one day......either banana or
> fruit salad in one day so that he can take more meat or vegge. it
> helps him to get healthier. if u have more suggestions for baby food
> then plz tell me as this is my first baby and i have no lady here from
> my family who can take care of him with me....my son little fussy in
> eating he wants everything sweet. is that ok to give him everything
> sweet....i mean not too sweet but little sweet...as he doesn't like
> vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
> in that and then he take it.
> banana,mangoshake,milkshake,icecream,cake,all sweet things he wants to
> eat....is that ok to give him this type of food?
> i will ask u few more questions next time regarding his food if u
> don't mind.
> thanks
> cheers

I wouldnt give a baby sweets, but I also know its a cultural thing and in
some places babies eat more sweets that they do here.
I woudlnt add sugar to the meat. I would add a sweet vegetable like carrots
or sweet potato.
I wouldnt give much ice cream or milkshakes. Maybe some mango or banana
blended with yogurt.

Nina
December 5th 03, 06:41 PM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
> >as he doesn't like
> >vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
> >in that and then he take it.
>
> I wouldn't encourage that, or you may end up with a child who only wants
> eat sweets. I suggest that whatever you have been adding sugar to, you
slowly
> reduce the amount you are adding until you aren't adding any. For
example, if
> you are adding one tablespoon right now, tomorrow only add two teaspoons
and
> do that for a couple of days, then move down to one, then to one-half,
etc.
> And give him some naturally sweet choices like sweet potatoes and carrots.
>
> Other "healthier" sweets could be yogurt smoothies or fruit smoothies.
>
> Leslie
Hey! Thats what I said :)

Naomi Pardue
December 5th 03, 09:15 PM
>my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
>doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
>10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate..

This sounds perfectly fine to me. Not all babies stay at the percentile they
were born at. Both 30% and 10% are on the small side, but, as long as he is
healthy otherwise, nothing to worry about. He's gained about 6 1/2 kilos in 11
months which averages over a kilo a month, which sounds just fine to me. (And
the difference in weight between 30% and 10% at this age is only about half a
kilo, not a huge amount.)

>there was little problems
>regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
>in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
>leave his tummy empty.

>my question is that why he is not gaining weight?

If he has gained 6 1/2 K, then he HAS been eating, and IS gaining weight. Late
in the first year it is normal for babies to gain weight very slowly, so you
may not see much, (or any) weight gain between 10 and 11 months.

>1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
>4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
>60ml juice
>600ml formula milk in a day
>2Tbl spoons of friut salad
>full breast feed at night.

It's hard to get a good sense here of how much he is getting, but my sense is
that he isn't getting much milk (unless he's taking in a LOT of breastmilk in
his night nursing sessions.) Will he take more milk if you offer? Can you
nurse him during the day as well as at night?
I'd hold off on the juice. I know that 60 ml isn't much, but it's just empty
calories and not very calorie dense, so he'd be better off with more milk
(breast or formula) or a solid food snack.
Also, any particular reason he's still on babyfood? By 11 months, most babies
should be able to eat table foods. He may be more interested in solids (and eat
more) if you offer him "real food" .. like the stuff that you are eating.

But, the main thing to remember is that babies, in general, know how much food
they need. Offer him food often. Let him eat as much as he wants. (Ideally,
there should always be a little milk left in the bottle or a little food left
on the plate, so you know he's had as much as he wishes.) He won't starve
himself, and he may just be meant to be a small child.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

javalearner
December 6th 03, 07:04 AM
(Beth Kevles) wrote in message >...
> Hi -
>
> Remember that a baby's size at birth has very little to do with his size
> as a baby or child.
>
> Birth size and weight has a lot to do with when the baby is born
> (relative to due date), maternal health, and the genetics of getting
> born.
>
> Baby size and weight has nothing to do with those factors, but instead
> depends upon the genes passed on from his parents. What were you and
> your husband like as babies? Was either of you, or a close relative, on
> the skinny side? If so, just remember you can't fight genetics! Maybe
> your baby is *supposed* to be small.
>
> If your baby is producing plenty of diapers and is developing well in
> all other respects, and your family history would suggest that
> skinniness is normal, then I wouldn't fret too much. Stay in touch with
> your ped., of course, since there are some medical conditions that can
> keep babies underweight, but these conditions usually have other
> symptoms as well.
>
> My two cents,
> --Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.
>
> NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
> like me to reply.

thanks for writing me!!!
ya me and my husband are not too big...my husband is 5'10 and i'm 5'1
but my son has no problems ragarding height he is in 75%....(30
inch)now.
i'm was also thin and my hb and his sister were also thin when they
were young....
i think u are right they always change...we can't calculate their size
what they will be and how long they will be.....but i just try him to
be get healthier with good food. if we were small not too big then he
will also be small. i can't change him. or can i change him by good
food?
thanks

javalearner
December 6th 03, 07:07 AM
(Leslie) wrote in message >...
> >as he doesn't like
> >vegge&chicken as avalable in baby bottle , i have to add little sugar
> >in that and then he take it.
>
> I wouldn't encourage that, or you may end up with a child who only wants to
> eat sweets. I suggest that whatever you have been adding sugar to, you slowly
> reduce the amount you are adding until you aren't adding any. For example, if
> you are adding one tablespoon right now, tomorrow only add two teaspoons and
> do that for a couple of days, then move down to one, then to one-half, etc.
> And give him some naturally sweet choices like sweet potatoes and carrots.
>
> Other "healthier" sweets could be yogurt smoothies or fruit smoothies.
>
> Leslie

no i'm not giving him 2tbs sugar..it's just half of the samll baby
spoon in whole bowl....is that ok?

javalearner
December 6th 03, 07:14 AM
Clisby > wrote in message >...
> javalearner wrote:
> > my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> > doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> > 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> > regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> > in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> > leave his tummy empty.
> > my question is that why he is not gaining weight? he is taking
> > balanced food...
> > 1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
> > 4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
> > 60ml juice
> > 600ml formula milk in a day
> > 2Tbl spoons of friut salad
> > full breast feed at night.
> >
> > i think that much food is enought for a 11 month baby......if u have
> > any advice then plz tell me what should i give it to him so that he
> > can gain weight, he is not too skiny but he has no fat in his
> > body..everything else is fine.
> > thanks in advance
> > cheers
>

> Maybe he's just naturally small at this point. My son was in the 25th
> percentile at birth, the 10th percentile by the time he was a year old,
> and at 18 months was in the 5th percentile. The doctor wasn't concerned
> (his height was also in the 5th percentile, so he was perfectly
> proportioned.)
>
> Clisby

so how old now ur kids are and are they growing as small? i don't like
when people tell me that he is week....u know i'm caring too much and
don't want to listen that he is week. he is cute and good looking the
only problem is fat...he is not chubby.
how can i make him chubby?
thanks

javalearner
December 6th 03, 07:33 AM
(Naomi Pardue) wrote in message >...
> >my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> >doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> >10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate..
>
> This sounds perfectly fine to me. Not all babies stay at the percentile they
> were born at. Both 30% and 10% are on the small side, but, as long as he is
> healthy otherwise, nothing to worry about. He's gained about 6 1/2 kilos in 11
> months which averages over a kilo a month, which sounds just fine to me. (And
> the difference in weight between 30% and 10% at this age is only about half a
> kilo, not a huge amount.)
>
> >there was little problems
> >regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> >in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> >leave his tummy empty.
>
> >my question is that why he is not gaining weight?
>
> If he has gained 6 1/2 K, then he HAS been eating, and IS gaining weight. Late
> in the first year it is normal for babies to gain weight very slowly, so you
> may not see much, (or any) weight gain between 10 and 11 months.
>
> >1 vegge&chicken baby food bottle small one
> >4TBL spoons of cereals with half of banana or some other fruit
> >60ml juice
> >600ml formula milk in a day
> >2Tbl spoons of friut salad
> >full breast feed at night.
>
> It's hard to get a good sense here of how much he is getting, but my sense is
> that he isn't getting much milk (unless he's taking in a LOT of breastmilk in
> his night nursing sessions.) Will he take more milk if you offer? Can you
> nurse him during the day as well as at night?

no he just shut his mouth when i'm giving him more milk....ya i can do
anything which can make my baby healthier. i tried it before to nurse
him to day time but then herefuse to take bottle and because he drink
all the milk from breast then he won't get much at night and he just
cant sleep...that's why i offer him at night so that he can full his
tummy at night....and bottle at day time today he drink around
600ml.and food.
i do offer him time by time.....he is eating table food too with his
dad but it's too little and baby food..as he have only 8 teeth.he is
eating soft food and chrackers.
thanks

> I'd hold off on the juice. I know that 60 ml isn't much, but it's just empty
> calories and not very calorie dense, so he'd be better off with more milk
> (breast or formula) or a solid food snack.
> Also, any particular reason he's still on babyfood? By 11 months, most babies
> should be able to eat table foods. He may be more interested in solids (and eat
> more) if you offer him "real food" .. like the stuff that you are eating.
>
> But, the main thing to remember is that babies, in general, know how much food
> they need. Offer him food often. Let him eat as much as he wants. (Ideally,
> there should always be a little milk left in the bottle or a little food left
> on the plate, so you know he's had as much as he wishes.) He won't starve
> himself, and he may just be meant to be a small child.
>

> Naomi
> CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
>
> (either remove spamblock or change address to to e-mail
> reply.)

Chotii
December 6th 03, 09:26 AM
"javalearner" > wrote in message
m...

> i think u are right they always change...we can't calculate their size
> what they will be and how long they will be.....but i just try him to
> be get healthier with good food. if we were small not too big then he
> will also be small. i can't change him. or can i change him by good
> food?

I'm afraid you're confusing "fat" with "healthy".

Your baby won't grow to be a tall burly man, no matter WHAT you feed him, if
he's genetically programmed to be short and slender. Some babies are fat.
Mine are all fat until they start to crawl/walk, and then they skinny right
down. My nephews were both skinny as rails. They all ended up looking about
the same as preschoolers.

Healthy is healthy. Is he happy? Energetic? Is he doing the things he should
be doing at that age? Does he crawl, sit up, pull himself up? Does he
babble and interact with you? If he's healthy, he will. This has nothing to
do with being fat.

You cannot make him into something he isn't meant to be, by feeding him.
What you *might* make him is obese, and that's not healthy at any age.

--angela

Chotii
December 6th 03, 09:32 AM
"javalearner" > wrote in message
om...

> so how old now ur kids are and are they growing as small? i don't like
> when people tell me that he is week....u know i'm caring too much and
> don't want to listen that he is week. he is cute and good looking the
> only problem is fat...he is not chubby.
> how can i make him chubby?

Who is telling you he is weak? Does his doctor tell you this? I doubt it,
because if your doctor was concerned about your baby's growth, you'd be
seeing a dietician, a nutritionist, or a therapist of some kind.

Don't worry about making your son chubby. Your job is to *offer* good,
nutritious food in a balanced diet. His job is to eat as much of it as he
needs, and no more.

Obesity is a problem in children as well as adults. Please trust your son
knows how to eat what his body needs.

--angela

Nina
December 6th 03, 10:34 AM
"javalearner" > wrote in message
m...
> (Beth Kevles) wrote in message
> > Hi -
> >
> > Remember that a baby's size at birth has very little to do with his size
> > as a baby or child.
> >
> > Birth size and weight has a lot to do with when the baby is born
> > (relative to due date), maternal health, and the genetics of getting
> > born.
> >
> > Baby size and weight has nothing to do with those factors, but instead
> > depends upon the genes passed on from his parents. What were you and
> > your husband like as babies? Was either of you, or a close relative, on
> > the skinny side? If so, just remember you can't fight genetics! Maybe
> > your baby is *supposed* to be small.
> >
> > If your baby is producing plenty of diapers and is developing well in
> > all other respects, and your family history would suggest that
> > skinniness is normal, then I wouldn't fret too much. Stay in touch with
> > your ped., of course, since there are some medical conditions that can
> > keep babies underweight, but these conditions usually have other
> > symptoms as well.
> >
> > My two cents,
> > --Beth Kevles
> >
> > http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the
milk-allergic
> > Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> > advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.
> >
> > NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
> > like me to reply.
>

> thanks for writing me!!!
> ya me and my husband are not too big...my husband is 5'10 and i'm 5'1
> but my son has no problems ragarding height he is in 75%....(30
> inch)now.
> i'm was also thin and my hb and his sister were also thin when they
> were young....
> i think u are right they always change...we can't calculate their size
> what they will be and how long they will be.....but i just try him to
> be get healthier with good food. if we were small not too big then he
> will also be small. i can't change him. or can i change him by good
> food?
> thanks

Proper feeding will help him to gain as much as is possible for HIM. But it
wont make him grow taller than the maximum possible. He might get fat, but
thats not the same as healty. If his weight is proportionate to his height,
then Iwouldnt worry too much.

Naomi Pardue
December 6th 03, 02:21 PM
>no he just shut his mouth when i'm giving him more milk....ya i can do
>anything which can make my baby healthier. i tried it before to nurse
>him to day time but then herefuse to take bottle and because he drink
>all the milk from breast then he won't get much at night and he just
>cant sleep...

>.that's why i offer him at night so that he can full his
>tummy at night....

Ok. I'm not sure I'm following this. (I realize your native language isn't
English. You are doing very well here!) You are giving him bottles of formula
during the day because, if you nurse him during the day, he will not take the
bottle?
Is there any particular reason that you feel he NEEDS to be taking bottles of
formula during the day? Breastmilk is a better food for him than formula, and
if he will nurse, and you are able to give him the breast (I'd been assuming
that you were working away from home during the day, so were giving him bottles
for that reason), it is really MUCH better to just forget the bottles and let
him nurse. (THough, if you haven't been nursing during the day for a while, it
may take some time to get your supply up.)
If you are willing and able, I'd just offer the breast, and forget the bottle.
Let him nurse as much as he's willing to, which may be VERY often for the first
few days, while you get your supply back. (If he is, as you say, nursing well
at night, and refusing to take much milk from the bottle, that suggests to me
that he DOES prefer the breast, and, given the choice and the chance, would go
back to it full time.)

>he is eating table food too with his
>dad but it's too little and baby food..as he have only 8 teeth.he is
>eating soft food and chrackers.
>thanks

Teeth really make no difference in his ability to eat table food. (My daughter
had no teeth at all until she was 14 months old, but was eating all table food,
except for some meat, by the time she was about 9 months old.) He can handle
most foods with his gums and tongue, he doesn't need teeth. You'll want to
avoid things like raw vegetables, chunks of meat, and things like that, but he
should be able to eat cooked vegetables, soft fruit (or cooked fruit, though
you'd want to peel them if they are raw, and avoid things like grapes and
berries which he could choke on), pasta, rice, bread, ground meat, beans, tofu,
fish (flake it to remove the bones), small pieces of chicken, yogurt, cheese...
and much more.
If he hasn't been eating much table food, it may take him some time to get the
hang of it, but he will. Don't be afraid that he will starve and so be afraid
to let him take the time to try. Trying is the only way he's going to learn.

Hope this helps.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Naomi Pardue
December 6th 03, 02:28 PM
>so how old now ur kids are and are they growing as small?

My daughter is, and always has been, very small. She was 6 1/2 pounds at birth,
and about 17 pounds at one year. (Much smaller than your son.)
After being in around the 25-30% in a very young infant, she dropped gradually
to the 3rd by around 1 year, and stayed there for several years. She is now 11
years old (almost 12), and has been at around the 5th percenile for weight, 25%
for height since she was about 5 years old. Except for some asthma (genetic,
her father had it when he was a kid) she is, and always has been, very healthy.
She's just small, and meant to be that way. (I was very small and thin as a
child and young adult. My husband was as well. We have both filled out as
adults....)

>.he is not chubby.
>how can i make him chubby?
>thanks

You can't 'make him chubby' and you shouldn't try. As long as you are offering
him all the healthy food you are able, and he is eating as much as wants, he
will gain the amount of weight he is meant to gain.
I know that some cultures put a very high premium on the idea that babies are
supposed to be 'fat', and it can be very hard if your baby doesn't meet that
ideal, but as long as he's healthy, trust him to be the size nature wants him
to be.
If he's developing properly, he is not 'weak', and stuffing him with food won't
make him any stronger.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Leslie
December 8th 03, 02:08 AM
>no i'm not giving him 2tbs sugar..it's just half of the samll baby
>spoon in whole bowl....is that ok

Well, I'm hardly an authority! :-) It probably won't hurt him, but it's still
a good idea to get him off of it, so he learns to eat things that are not
sweet.

Leslie

A.L. Bell
December 8th 03, 08:30 AM
(javalearner) wrote in message >...
> my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> leave his tummy empty.

1) If your son wants his food sweet, maybe that's his way of saying
that he needs all the calories from sugar that he can get. Maybe your
son instinctively knows what he really needs and all of the people who
are horrified by sugar are totally wrong. My advice would be to ignore
the people who say that sugar is bad and, within reason, use as much
sugar as you need to get your baby to eat healthy foods.

2) If your son is really skinny, and he's getting some protein from
meat and some vitamins from fruit and vegetables, maybe what he's
really missing in his diet is fat. Babies are allowed to get about
half of their calories from fat.

Have you tried giving your baby regular (i.e., full fat) cream cheese
or sour cream? If not, maybe you could try mixing cream cheese or sour
cream in with some of the fruit.

Nina
December 8th 03, 02:32 PM
"A.L. Bell" > wrote in message
om...
> (javalearner) wrote in message
> > my baby boy was 2.62kg at his birth...now he is 11 month old and 9kg.
> > doctors said that he was in 30% kids when he was born but now he is in
> > 10% kids. he is growing in 10% kids rate...there was little problems
> > regarding his eating means he was not eating at all, he started eating
> > in his 10th month.....but now he is taking as much as he can...i never
> > leave his tummy empty.
>
> 1) If your son wants his food sweet, maybe that's his way of saying
> that he needs all the calories from sugar that he can get. Maybe your
> son instinctively knows what he really needs and all of the people who
> are horrified by sugar are totally wrong. My advice would be to ignore
> the people who say that sugar is bad and, within reason, use as much
> sugar as you need to get your baby to eat healthy foods.

Sugar is empty calories. Better to feed him fruit or a sweet vegetable.