PDA

View Full Version : another BF'ing update...

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 5th 03, 06:58 PM
Well I feel much better about BF'ing now (still hate it) but I think my
crying days are almost over...
My DH insisted on me breast feeding, He didn't want to spend the money on
formula when we have something free. Well I had a bad night where I was
crying and mumbling about hating it on top of that me and DS both had the
flu and he was arching his head and ripping off of the nipple causing allot
of pain. Finally my DH said to me, If you want to switch to formula we can,
I will support any decision you make. Well me being a rebel loathed the idea
that my DH wouldn't give me the option of formula feeding which made me want
to give up breast feeding even more! Now that I know I DO have a choice I am
much more willing to keep trying BF'ing! We had a long talk about the pros
and cons about BF'ing and I flip flopped on my decisions like 10 times. we
even went out and bought formula & cabbage for helping stop my milk supply
and made some formula for the night. You will all be glad to hear that I did
not use the formula and chose to grunt through the pain and frustrations I
felt guilty every time I said ok lets use formula. I have decided to take it
week by week instead of looking a year ahead of time, going week by week and
some times feeding by feeding makes it easier to swallow (pardon the pun).
To me its all about baby steps (pardon again, lol).
I'm hoping things get better for me.

December 5th 03, 08:06 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ > wrote:
> Well I feel much better about BF'ing now (still hate it) but I think my
> crying days are almost over...
> My DH insisted on me breast feeding, He didn't want to spend the money on
> formula when we have something free. Well I had a bad night where I was
> crying and mumbling about hating it on top of that me and DS both had the
> flu and he was arching his head and ripping off of the nipple causing allot
> of pain. Finally my DH said to me, If you want to switch to formula we can,
> I will support any decision you make. Well me being a rebel loathed the idea
> that my DH wouldn't give me the option of formula feeding which made me want
> to give up breast feeding even more! Now that I know I DO have a choice I am
> much more willing to keep trying BF'ing! We had a long talk about the pros
> and cons about BF'ing and I flip flopped on my decisions like 10 times. we
> even went out and bought formula & cabbage for helping stop my milk supply
> and made some formula for the night. You will all be glad to hear that I did
> not use the formula and chose to grunt through the pain and frustrations I
> felt guilty every time I said ok lets use formula. I have decided to take it
> week by week instead of looking a year ahead of time, going week by week and
> some times feeding by feeding makes it easier to swallow (pardon the pun).
> To me its all about baby steps (pardon again, lol).
> I'm hoping things get better for me.

FWIW, I had a few times when I felt like giving up, too. I knew I didn't
really want to, but I just wanted to whine to DH and have him to say that
I had a choice (I know he wouldn't really let me quit without a fight
though). Sometimes, I felt like I was totally trapped by breastfeeding and
knowing that I could choose an 'out' (even though I wouldn't) helped me to
get through that. It sounds like you have the same type of personality
that I do. I automatically detest anything that I am *supposed* to do.
Once it's my choice, I feel more in control.

Manda

Teresa Chandler
December 5th 03, 08:07 PM
Good for you, sticking with it! I think you are about to turn a corner, and
it will get much easier. Going week by week is how lots of us got through
that first hard time. Every single week you give your baby nothing but
breastmilk is a week you are giving him the very best

I totally understand about wanting to rebel whenever you are told you "have
to" do something. I'm the same way. DH knows by now to suggest things
nicely, not to order me around, or else I become a 13 year old talking back
to my mom. I'm working on that, but he has also had to work on his way of
communicating his wishes.

I'm very glad you are still sticking to it! That's great! And even if you
hate it, just think. You haven't had to change a single formula diaper.
That's the worst. Think of things like that, and maybe it'll be easier. "I
just saved $10 this week by breastfeeding. I can buy myself a nice hand
lotion w/ that." "My baby will have less risk of obesity and disease, all
because of the sacrifice I'm making." Etc. It'll make it more bareable.

Teresa

azure
December 8th 03, 09:04 AM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> Well I feel much better about BF'ing now (still hate it) but I think my
> crying days are almost over...
> My DH insisted on me breast feeding, He didn't want to spend the money on
> formula when we have something free. Well I had a bad night where I was
> crying and mumbling about hating it on top of that me and DS both had the
> flu and he was arching his head and ripping off of the nipple causing
allot
> of pain. Finally my DH said to me, If you want to switch to formula we
can,
> I will support any decision you make. Well me being a rebel loathed the
idea
> that my DH wouldn't give me the option of formula feeding which made me
want
> to give up breast feeding even more! Now that I know I DO have a choice I
am
> much more willing to keep trying BF'ing! We had a long talk about the pros
> and cons about BF'ing and I flip flopped on my decisions like 10 times. we
> even went out and bought formula & cabbage for helping stop my milk supply
> and made some formula for the night. You will all be glad to hear that I
did
> not use the formula and chose to grunt through the pain and frustrations I
> felt guilty every time I said ok lets use formula. I have decided to take
it
> week by week instead of looking a year ahead of time, going week by week
and
> some times feeding by feeding makes it easier to swallow (pardon the pun).
> To me its all about baby steps (pardon again, lol).
> I'm hoping things get better for me.

I hope it gets better too and you end up loving it! You deserve that as a
reward when you've kept going despite your personal feelings, you're a great
mum for doing that.

I can see how having a choice makes things much more bearable, and your
attitude of one feed at a time is a good approach. Maybe reading lots about
why formula is subpar will help you too? I know my distaste for formula was
a great motivator, when I was thinking that it was so hard, I'd think about
my "alternative" and how it was really not a great one.

Can you ask DH to give you a "reward" each feed he's around? Like he will
give you a backrub to ease away any tension caused by the problems you're
having, or make you a smoothie or something. He sounds like he's pretty
motivated to have this succeed, and cherishing you a little bit extra can't
go astray and may help dissipate any bad feelings from his original
insistence that you breastfeed.

I wish you lots of luck. I wish problems weren't so prevalent but it really
makes me feel heartened when I read of a Mama fighting the good fight.
That's one extra babe getting Mum Magic!

Cheers,

Leah

---

KC
December 9th 03, 08:55 AM
"azure" > wrote in message news:<d8XAb.44325>
> I can see how having a choice makes things much more bearable, and your
> attitude of one feed at a time is a good approach. Maybe reading lots about
> why formula is subpar will help you too? I know my distaste for formula was
> a great motivator, when I was thinking that it was so hard, I'd think about
> my "alternative" and how it was really not a great one.

What motivated me was the studies showing bf babies having higher IQs
nd less medical problems. Even when times were really tough, that was
what kept me going.

KC