PDA

View Full Version : cheap freezer storage bags?

zeldabee
December 5th 03, 08:17 PM
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to breast milk storage bags? 5.99 for
25 is the cheapest I've seen the Gerber bags, and all the other brands are
more expensive. I was looking at regular 2 mil freezer bags, but I don't
think they're presterilized. Is it really necessary that the bags be
sterilized? Or will any bag that is suitable for food storage work?

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

P. G. Chavez
December 9th 03, 04:31 PM
zeldabee wrote:

> Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to breast milk storage bags? 5.99 for
> 25 is the cheapest I've seen the Gerber bags, and all the other brands are
> more expensive. I was looking at regular 2 mil freezer bags, but I don't
> think they're presterilized. Is it really necessary that the bags be
> sterilized? Or will any bag that is suitable for food storage work?

I used the original 8 oz. Playtex disposable liners for freezing
breastmilk:

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesandpacifiers/products/disposableliners.asp#originaldisposableliners

OR http://makeashorterlink.com/?A45A212C6

I don't know the cost, but I imagine they'd be less expensive. They are
also pre-sterilized. I had to be creative in closing up the top (by
folding down several times, then folding twice horizontally, and
fastening with a tightly wound rubber band), but they always worked fine
for me, and I never had a leak. Be careful to leave some room in the
top for expansion, too. I would freeze them standing up in a plastic
cup, then move them to a large freezer ziplock bag for storage. (Oh,
and mark the date before filling.)

Maybe you could look into these?
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]

zeldabee
December 9th 03, 09:58 PM
P. G. Chavez was all, like:
> zeldabee wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to breast milk storage bags?
>> 5.99 for 25 is the cheapest I've seen the Gerber bags, and all the
>> other brands are more expensive. I was looking at regular 2 mil
>> freezer bags, but I don't think they're presterilized. Is it really
>> necessary that the bags be sterilized? Or will any bag that is
>> suitable for food storage work?
>
> I used the original 8 oz. Playtex disposable liners for freezing
> breastmilk:

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesandpacifiers/products/disposableliners.asp
#originaldisposableliners

> OR http://makeashorterlink.com/?A45A212C6
>
> I don't know the cost, but I imagine they'd be less expensive. They
> are also pre-sterilized. I had to be creative in closing up the top
> (by folding down several times, then folding twice horizontally, and
> fastening with a tightly wound rubber band), but they always worked
> fine for me, and I never had a leak. Be careful to leave some room
> in the top for expansion, too. I would freeze them standing up in a
> plastic cup, then move them to a large freezer ziplock bag for
> storage. (Oh, and mark the date before filling.)
>
> Maybe you could look into these?

I might give them a try, though I'd miss the ziplock closure. I just go
through so many of them. I'm thinking I'll switch to bottles for daily
transport to/from daycare, even though they're bulkier (*mutter* and I'm
just not carrying enough with me every day on the subway...*grumble*), and
just use the bags for freezer stash.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/