PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this just WRONG!

Irish Marie
December 6th 03, 03:59 PM
https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php

I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am shocked!
There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting tool
in the world imo.
--
Marie
Mum of 3

Dawn Lawson
December 6th 03, 04:51 PM
Irish Marie wrote:
> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting tool
> in the world imo.
> --

Damn...I want one that reaches the back seat of my car and attaches to
my breast at the "bottle" end.....

but other than that...yup, pretty odd.

Dawn

Chotii
December 6th 03, 06:50 PM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message

> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
tool
> in the world imo.

....but it's nothing new. Bottles of this design have been around since
Victorian times (if not before) and...well, I'll let this article speak for
itself.

http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/murder.html

--angela

Irish Marie
December 6th 03, 09:04 PM
"Chotii" > wrote in message

> "Irish Marie" > wrote in message
> >
> > https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
> >
> > I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> > Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
> shocked!
> > There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
> tool
> > in the world imo.
>
> ...but it's nothing new. Bottles of this design have been around since
> Victorian times (if not before) and...well, I'll let this article speak
for
> itself.
>
> http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/murder.html
>
> --angela

Dreadful stuff.........I think though that as the deaths with these
Victorian bottles were mainly due to poor hygiene because the teat didn't
come apart for cleaning! So although these handybaby bottles are a horrible
concept I don't think that they pose a threat to the life of babies in the
same way as the Victorian bottles.

--
Marie
Mum of 3
DD born 03/98, DS1 born 11/99 DS2 born 08/03

Chotii
December 6th 03, 09:26 PM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message

> "Chotii" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Irish Marie" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
> > >
> > > I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> > > Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
> > shocked!
> > > There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad
parenting
> > tool
> > > in the world imo.
> >
> > ...but it's nothing new. Bottles of this design have been around since
> > Victorian times (if not before) and...well, I'll let this article speak
> for
> > itself.
> >
> > http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/murder.html
> >
> > --angela
> >

> Dreadful stuff.........I think though that as the deaths with these
> Victorian bottles were mainly due to poor hygiene because the teat didn't
> come apart for cleaning! So although these handybaby bottles are a
horrible
> concept I don't think that they pose a threat to the life of babies in the
> same way as the Victorian bottles.

No, of course not. Though the tubing in the Podee is much longer, and
parents must pay meticulous attention while cleaning. And of course, if a
kid gets sick now, there's antibiotics. If I had to offer a bottle, it
wouldn't be one of these. It'd be a plain old ordinary bottle, and damn the
"convenience".

--angela

Akuvikate
December 6th 03, 11:47 PM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message >...
> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting tool
> in the world imo.

I've seen these at ToysRUs, and they're pretty horrifying. I
generally try to remain non-judgemental and imagine a situation where
something would be appropriate, but in this case it's hard.
Quadruplets, maybe?

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003

Dawn Lawson
December 7th 03, 12:30 AM
Richard wrote:

> Irish Marie > wrote:
> :
> : https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
> :
> : I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> : Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am shocked!
> : There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting tool
> : in the world imo.
>
> topping it off, though I can't tell for sure, that looks like a latex nipple.

That's common.
Playtex nursers are latex, Avent's 6mo+ soothers and loads of others are
latex.

Dawn

Em
December 7th 03, 02:16 AM
"Richard" > wrote in message
> Irish Marie > wrote:
> :
> : https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
> :
> : I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> : Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
shocked!
> : There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
tool
> : in the world imo.
>
> topping it off, though I can't tell for sure, that looks like a latex
nipple.

I happened to notice as I was reading more of the site, that it mentions it
being a silicon nipple.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

Em
December 7th 03, 02:19 AM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message
> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
tool
> in the world imo.

I've seen these at Babies R Us and *boggled* a bit in horror. I read the box
and it specifically says on it that feeding should be bonding time and that
the bottle is only intended for occasional use and that parents should hold
their babies to feed them for the most part, etc. (Reminiscent of all the
formula companies notices about "breast is best"). It also mentioned being
helpful for parents of multiples.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

KC
December 7th 03, 09:00 AM
Dawn Lawson > wrote in message news:<9OnAb.582892$9l5.312547@pd7tw2no>...
> Damn...I want one that reaches the back seat of my car and attaches to
> my breast at the "bottle" end.....
>
> but other than that...yup, pretty odd.
>
> Dawn

Here you go... the bottom picture on
http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/the%20weird%20and%20wonderful.htm

KC

KC
December 7th 03, 09:12 AM
Actually it looks kinda convenient if it were sparingly used when
having a super busy day for a mom who is already bottle feeding. It
does look difficult to clean though.

KC

"Irish Marie" > wrote in message >...
> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting tool
> in the world imo.

Hillary Israeli
December 7th 03, 02:44 PM
In >,
Irish Marie > wrote:

*
*https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
*

There is a boy in my son's preschool class whose little sister uses one of
those.

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Sandi
December 8th 03, 01:41 AM
"Irish Marie" > wrote in message

> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>
> I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
shocked!
> There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
tool
> in the world imo.
> --
> Marie
> Mum of 3
> DD born 03/98, DS1 born 11/99 DS2 born 08/03

I work at a kid's clothing store (Gymboree) and I've seen a few people come
in the store with these. Every time I saw it all I could think was "That
poor kid probably never gets held!"

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

A&G&K
December 8th 03, 05:33 AM
"Richard" > wrote in message
> Irish Marie > wrote:
> :
> : https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
> :
> : I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
> : Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
shocked!
> : There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
tool
> : in the world imo.
>
> topping it off, though I can't tell for sure, that looks like a latex
nipple.

> Richard
> Micaela's dad

Please pardon my ignorance, but why is latex bad? (NB I've never used it as
I've never had the need - just curious).
Amanda

December 8th 03, 01:51 PM
A&G&K > wrote:

> "Richard" > wrote in message
>> Irish Marie > wrote:
>> :
>> : https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php
>> :
>> : I saw an article on this 'great' new product in the Irish Independent
>> : Mothers and Babies Supplement today, and all I can say is that I am
> shocked!
>> : There is bf, ff and then this which is the most uncaring, bad parenting
> tool
>> : in the world imo.
>>
>> topping it off, though I can't tell for sure, that looks like a latex
> nipple.
>>
>> Richard
>> Micaela's dad
>>

> Please pardon my ignorance, but why is latex bad? (NB I've never used it as
> I've never had the need - just curious).

I think it's just because people can develop extreme sensitivity to it and
the more you're exposed to it the closer you get to being sensitive to it.
Does that make sense?? If you develop a sensitivity to latex it pretty
much affects every aspect of your life. They have to have special 'latex
free' carts at hospitals and doctors office to treat these people. You
usually have to wear some sort of health notice to let people know in case
your brought into a hospital unconscious or something. Can you imagine
what could happen if you're sensitive to latex and they intubate you with
a latex tube? Very bad.

Manda

Nevermind
December 9th 03, 03:04 AM
(KC) wrote in message >...
> Actually it looks kinda convenient if it were sparingly used when
> having a super busy day for a mom who is already bottle feeding. It
> does look difficult to clean though.
>
> KC

This is exactly what I was thinking. If only they could get something
like that for the breast. I'd like to use one of those at my local
Burger King! :)

Chookie
December 12th 03, 10:53 AM
In article >,
"Irish Marie" > wrote:

> https://www.handybaby.com/index.php?content=gallery.php

I am just wondering at the kind of suction the poor kid would have to work up
to get anything out of the thing!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

Anne Rogers
December 12th 03, 11:05 AM
> "Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
> creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
> grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc

where did you find that quote?

I know there is an overlap of at least 2 between cam.misc and m.k.b. but I
wouldn't have expected it to include you!

Chookie
December 13th 03, 01:05 AM
In article >,
Anne Rogers > wrote:

> > "Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the
> > astonishing
> > creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider
> > one*
> > grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
>
> where did you find that quote?
>
> I know there is an overlap of at least 2 between cam.misc and m.k.b. but I
> wouldn't have expected it to include you!

DH reads alt.humor.best-of-usenet, and shares the best with me. And you're
right; I haven't been to Cambridge, or indeed the UK!