PDA

View Full Version : OT cradle cap

Dagny
December 7th 03, 02:42 PM
Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two weeks
ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --

I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth a
trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it doesn't
do much.

Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?

Thanks,
Dagny
Mom to Meg, seven weeks

Sue
December 7th 03, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't take her to the doctor for it. Soaking her hair in baby oil and
then combing it with a fine tooth comb should work. You might have to do it
a couple of times. This worked for my daughter, who had it really bad. A
couple of times with the oil and comb and it didn't come back.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Dagny > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two
weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it
doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
>
> Thanks,
> Dagny
> Mom to Meg, seven weeks

Em
December 7th 03, 03:06 PM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two
weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it
doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?

I don't have any scientific advice to offer, but thought I'd share what is
happening here. Lann had it on one eyebrow, kind of spreading to the bridge
of his nose and also has it on his head. We haven't been doing anything
other than washing his head and face with warm water sometimes and
occasionally brushing the scales off his head. (no soap. I've read that too
much washing and soaping will actually make it worse, because of how it
dries out the skin even more). He also rubbed off a lot of the stuff in his
eyebrow by rubbing his face against our shirts when sleepy. The eyebrow
stuff is basically gone now. I'm just assuming that the head scales will
eventually go away as well. (they seem to be lessening as time goes on). The
only treatments I've heard of are washing, oiling, and brushing. I've also
read that it can be worse during the winter because of the low humidity and
dry air.

Most babies I've known in my life have had cradle cap--my grandpa used to
call it "cradle crap"--so I'm not worried about it. It isn't very cute
though is it?!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

New York Jen
December 7th 03, 03:53 PM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two
weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it
doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
>
> Thanks,
> Dagny
> Mom to Meg, seven weeks

I've always heard that all you needed to do was comb some oil (preferably
vegetable oil, not commercial baby oil) after shampooing and leaving it in.

I don't believe there are any complications. It's just a normal thing that
happens to many newborns.

- Jen

Dagny
December 7th 03, 04:02 PM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> I wouldn't take her to the doctor for it. Soaking her hair in baby oil and
> then combing it with a fine tooth comb should work. You might have to do
it
> a couple of times. This worked for my daughter, who had it really bad. A
> couple of times with the oil and comb and it didn't come back.
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)
> I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...

You leave the oil on? Is that what I'm doing wrong?

Sue
December 7th 03, 04:31 PM
Yes, leave the oil on for a while and then comb with a fine tooth comb. Then
wash it out or you could leave the oil in overnight.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Dagny > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Sue" > wrote in message
> > I wouldn't take her to the doctor for it. Soaking her hair in baby oil
and
> > then combing it with a fine tooth comb should work. You might have to do
> it
> > a couple of times. This worked for my daughter, who had it really bad. A
> > couple of times with the oil and comb and it didn't come back.
> > --
> > Sue (mom to three girls)
> > I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
> >

> You leave the oil on? Is that what I'm doing wrong?

Bruce and Jeanne
December 7th 03, 04:44 PM
Dagny wrote:

> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth a
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
>
> Thanks,
> Dagny
> Mom to Meg, seven weeks

DS had cradle cap at 7 weeks and at 6 months, he still has a bit of it.
He also had it on one eyebrow as well as on his head. The eyebrow
cleared up by 4 months. I didn't do much with it. A couple of times, I
rubbed olive oil on his head and then washed it out - it cleared (hid?)
the stuff for about a day or so.

The doctor looked at it and said not to worry about it. It would clear
up on its own.

I would just ask the doctor about it at your daughter's next check-up
(isn't there one at 8 weeks?)

Jeanne

iphigenia
December 7th 03, 05:13 PM
Dagny wrote:

> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?

I can't imagine what complications might ensue...

After soaking the scalp in oil, try brushing it (against the direction of
hair growth) with a toothbrush. That worked really well for Gabe's cradle
cap.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Clisby
December 7th 03, 06:58 PM
Dagny wrote:
> "Sue" > wrote in message
>
>>I wouldn't take her to the doctor for it. Soaking her hair in baby oil and
>>then combing it with a fine tooth comb should work. You might have to do
>
> it
>
>>a couple of times. This worked for my daughter, who had it really bad. A
>>couple of times with the oil and comb and it didn't come back.
>>--
>>Sue (mom to three girls)
>>I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
>>

> You leave the oil on? Is that what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, yes. I just used a rough washcloth, not a fine-tooth comb, but I
think the comb would work fine. I would do this at bathtime, and then
rub another coating of baby oil into his scalp (to do its work for the
next bathtime.)

Clisby

Dagny
December 7th 03, 07:38 PM
"Clisby" > wrote in message

> Dagny wrote:
> > "Sue" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I wouldn't take her to the doctor for it. Soaking her hair in baby oil
and
> >>then combing it with a fine tooth comb should work. You might have to do
> >
> > it
> >
> >>a couple of times. This worked for my daughter, who had it really bad. A
> >>couple of times with the oil and comb and it didn't come back.
> >>--
> >>Sue (mom to three girls)
> >>I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
> >>

> > You leave the oil on? Is that what I'm doing wrong?
> >

> Oh, yes. I just used a rough washcloth, not a fine-tooth comb, but I
> think the comb would work fine. I would do this at bathtime, and then
> rub another coating of baby oil into his scalp (to do its work for the
> next bathtime.)

But mine has a full head of hair (LOL) she is going to look so disgusting,
worse than the cradle cap! I have her in a cap now while she naps with the
oil...

Clisby
December 7th 03, 07:55 PM
Dagny wrote:
> "Clisby" > wrote in message
>

>>Dagny wrote:

> and

>>>it

>>>You leave the oil on? Is that what I'm doing wrong?
>>>

>>Oh, yes. I just used a rough washcloth, not a fine-tooth comb, but I
>>think the comb would work fine. I would do this at bathtime, and then
>>rub another coating of baby oil into his scalp (to do its work for the
>>next bathtime.)
>>

> But mine has a full head of hair (LOL) she is going to look so disgusting,
> worse than the cradle cap! I have her in a cap now while she naps with the
> oil...

It might be that cradle cap is harder to eliminate when the baby has a
thick head of hair. Both of mine had plenty of hair (in length) but it
was fairly thin during hte cradle cap days, so it wasn't hard to get to
the scalp. Now that I think about it, I've seen some babies with so
much hair that if you put oil on it, you'd mainly be saturating the hair
instead of the scalp.

Clisby

KC
December 8th 03, 12:40 AM
All I did was gently scratch it off with my fingernails. Both my baby
and me liked it when I did that. I think it must have been itching
her, so she enjoyed the gentle scratching, and for me it was quite
entertaining and bonding. It took probably over a month for it all to
be gone.

With my first I had done the oil thing which did hide it for a few
days, but it was not near as fun as the gentle scratching method.

KC

"Dagny" > wrote in message et>...
> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth a
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
>
> Thanks,
> Dagny
> Mom to Meg, seven weeks

Denise
December 8th 03, 04:54 AM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two
weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
>
> I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth
> trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it
doesn't
> do much.
>
> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
>
> Thanks,
> Dagny
> Mom to Meg, seven weeks

We've had good luck with baby oil, and then Head and Shoulders a couple
times for when it was super bad on baby 3.

Irrational Number
December 8th 03, 06:43 AM
Dagny wrote:
> Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two weeks
> ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --

Pillbug had cradle cap around 2 weeks and it lasted
over a month. The pediatrician recommended we use
Eucerin creme, a pretty thick dry-skin cream. We'd
put it on, wait a few minutes, then start pulling
off the scales gently. For those weeks, I'd just
keep pulling off the scales every time I breastfed.
Also, we'd use a washcloth and try to get some off
that way, too. It eventually went away.

Pillbug was quite bald, so it was pretty easy to
pull off the scales.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

teapot
December 8th 03, 09:18 AM
I scratch it off too, its very satisfying and the Moo likes it too.

teapot and teh Moo boy 8th June 03

(KC) wrote in message >...
> All I did was gently scratch it off with my fingernails. Both my baby
> and me liked it when I did that. I think it must have been itching
> her, so she enjoyed the gentle scratching, and for me it was quite
> entertaining and bonding. It took probably over a month for it all to
> be gone.
>
> With my first I had done the oil thing which did hide it for a few
> days, but it was not near as fun as the gentle scratching method.
>
> KC
>
> "Dagny" > wrote in message et>...
> > Your input is appreciated -- Meg has cradle cap. It started about two weeks
> > ago on her eyebrows and is now quite prevalent on her head --
> >
> > I have read both that no treatment is necessary, and read that it is worth a
> > trip to the doctor (the Mayo Clinic book from State Farm). I have tried
> > soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it doesn't
> > do much.
> >
> > Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dagny
> > Mom to Meg, seven weeks

December 8th 03, 10:10 AM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message >...
> Dagny wrote:
> >
> > Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
> >

> I can't imagine what complications might ensue...

I think there's some speculation that children with cradle cap might
be more likely to experience seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis as
adults. Don't recall seeing it confirmed though.

--
C, mama to one year old nursling

Lucy
December 8th 03, 03:19 PM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I have tried
> soaking the scales in oil for 20 minutes prior to shampooing, but it
doesn't
> do much.

Oil never did much for DD's cradle cap either. We used Head & Shoulders
shampoo and it got rid of it after a few washes. (Try to keep the shampoo
from running into her eyes though - it stings like hell)

Lucy

Em
December 8th 03, 03:52 PM
"KC" > wrote in message
> All I did was gently scratch it off with my fingernails. Both my baby
> and me liked it when I did that. I think it must have been itching
> her, so she enjoyed the gentle scratching, and for me it was quite
> entertaining and bonding. It took probably over a month for it all to
> be gone.

I've been known to scratch and pick at DS's too. I know that isn't
recommended because it can cause "infected lesions," but I'm very careful to
just kind of hook the edge of the scale with my fingernail and I've never
scratched the skin underneath (that I know of). I find it much easier to
detach the scales than to actually get them out of his hair and off his head
though, so after a picking session his head looks like some kind of horror
movie zombie with rotting off skin!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

Em
December 8th 03, 03:53 PM
> wrote in message
> "iphigenia" > wrote in message
> > Dagny wrote:
> > >
> > > Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?
> > >

> > I can't imagine what complications might ensue...
>
> I think there's some speculation that children with cradle cap might
> be more likely to experience seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis as
> adults. Don't recall seeing it confirmed though.

Hmm. I had a cradle cap as a baby and have persistent psoriasis on my scalp.
Very ugly and annoying. My three sibs also had cradle cap though (I believe)
and none of them have psoriasis or dermatitis.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

iphigenia
December 10th 03, 04:24 PM
wrote:

> I think there's some speculation that children with cradle cap might
> be more likely to experience seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis as
> adults. Don't recall seeing it confirmed though.

I agree that it's a good possibility, but I don't think that not scraping
off the dead skin cells is going to make a difference in that outcome...

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

Chookie
December 12th 03, 11:14 AM
In article et>,
"Dagny" > wrote:

> Does this require treatment? And what are the possible complications?

The only complications are that it is unttractive and can become smelly. It
is also more common (and harder to treat) in babies with lots of hair -- one
advantage of a baldy baby!

Massage olive oil (or similar -- you could use sorbolene) into the baby's
scalp, then shampoo it off. Don't pick at it -- it's very easy to pull skin
off with the flakes! And don't go overboard with the washing. The shampoo
actually makes it worse IIRC, so try not to bath the baby every day; they
usually don't need it anyway.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc