PDA

View Full Version : the opposite of everyone else's sleep problem

Stephanie and Tim
December 9th 03, 03:47 PM
Last night, my 11.5 week old dd slept from 9:00 to 7:00 this am. And I got
HER up to eat. I confess I slept until then. I believe that the last couple
of nights she has been sleeping way more at night because her naps have gone
to hell in a handbasket. She eats great all day, it seems to me. She is
grumpy sometimes, but it has always seemed due to tiredness more than
hunger. And anyway, I alsways nurse her before sleep anyway, so she has no
lack of nursing opps. However, her pee and poop diapers are down. Maybe 3 mo
/olds just sort of consolidate their elimination or something. But her poops
are more green than mustard yellow. They used to be both, now they are more
often green. As I say, she is pretty cheerful. What I am planning on doing
is

- try to work on nap so that she gets some sleep during the day and see if
that causes a night waking for a feed.
- try and nurse as MUCH as possible during the day, even with DS about. I
have taken her off the breast when DS needs something if she has been on for
a long time and has been done for a long time. If she has not resumed eatng
sucking, I will sometimes take her off. I will try not to do this anymore.

If these things do not work, I guess I will wake her at night? Or is she
fine? She does not go for a weigh for another month. So while it looks to me
like she is growning, I have no way of knowing if it is "enough" whatever
that is.

To add to the complications, I go back to work next week. (Where did three
months GO??!!??) So she is going to daycare for short days this week as a
transition measure.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bach
December 9th 03, 11:32 PM
> - try to work on nap so that she gets some sleep during the day and see if
> that causes a night waking for a feed.
encouraging more sleep during the day is a good thing, but i don't see
much reason to try and incorporate a night feeding if she doesn't
request it. my 14 week ds has been sleeping the same hours without
waking. recently he has started waking at 2am to eat. your baby will
wake you when she is hungry.
> - try and nurse as MUCH as possible during the day, even with DS about. I
> have taken her off the breast when DS needs something if she has been on for
> a long time and has been done for a long time. If she has not resumed eatng
> sucking, I will sometimes take her off. I will try not to do this anymore.
>
> If these things do not work, I guess I will wake her at night? Or is she
> fine? She does not go for a weigh for another month. So while it looks to me
> like she is growning, I have no way of knowing if it is "enough" whatever
> that is.
i don't suggest waking her, but if you are worried, pick up a scale so
that you can weigh her at your leisure.

> To add to the complications, I go back to work next week. (Where did three
> months GO??!!??) So she is going to daycare for short days this week as a
> transition measure.
god bless you. it seems that your baby has worked out a nice schedule
to assist you in getting sleep at night as well. don't worry! you're
doing great!

> Thanks for any thoughts.

toypup
December 10th 03, 03:23 AM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message
> Last night, my 11.5 week old dd slept from 9:00 to 7:00 this am. And I got
> HER up to eat. I confess I slept until then. I believe that the last
couple
> of nights she has been sleeping way more at night because her naps have
gone
> to hell in a handbasket.

Maybe she's tired because you wake her before she's ready. DS would sleep
for 12 hours straight at 3 months. I admit, he's a great sleeper. Anyway,
didn't seem to be a problem with him. I just never saw the need to wake him
and waking him before he was ready to wake just made him hard to handle all
day.

Elly
December 10th 03, 08:16 AM
"Stephanie and Tim" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> Last night, my 11.5 week old dd slept from 9:00 to 7:00 this am. And I got
> HER up to eat.

<snip>

> If these things do not work, I guess I will wake her at night? Or is she
> fine?

Erin (8 weeks old in 2 days) sleeps like that for some time now - she goes
to sleep between 9 and 11 pm (depending on our schedule, whether she had the
bath, whether she slept a lot during the day - then falls asleep a bit
later), and doesn't wake up before 7:30 (if she fell asleep later, she wakes
up closer to 9 am).

I was also very worried about that, whether she got enough to eat, whether
she is ok if she sleeps so much (during the day she usually has 2 hours
awake - 2 .5 hours sleeping cycles; she sleeps during the walk, too), etc.

Her paediatrician says she is gaining weight normally (she weighed 8 lbs at
birth; 7.6 lbs the first week home, and 9.6 lbs at her first check-up when
she was one month old), has a lot of wet & dirty nappies, and that she is
healthy and well-developing.
Her advice was not to wake her up during the night if she wants to sleep
(and to count my blessings ;-), but to give her more if she wants during the
day.
And she wants to eat more during the day - recently she wants to breastfeed
from both breasts (in the beginning it was one breast per feeding) and our
sessions last in average 10 minutes longer than before (before she'd eat for
20 minutes flat, then spit out the nipple; now she eats for 30 minutes, cca
15 minutes at each breast, and then she spits the nipple out). We have our
2-month check-up on Friday, so we will see how this new pattern is
influencing her weight gain.

Enjoy the sleep ;-) or call the paediatrician if you think your baby might
be hungry even though she continues sleeping.

Best wishes,
Elly
Mom to Erin - Oct 12th, 2003.

Stephanie and Tim
December 10th 03, 01:20 PM
"Elly" > wrote in message

> "Stephanie and Tim" > ha scritto nel
> messaggio ...
> > Last night, my 11.5 week old dd slept from 9:00 to 7:00 this am. And I
got
> > HER up to eat.
>
> <snip>
>
> > If these things do not work, I guess I will wake her at night? Or is she
> > fine?
>
> Erin (8 weeks old in 2 days) sleeps like that for some time now - she goes
> to sleep between 9 and 11 pm (depending on our schedule, whether she had
the
> bath, whether she slept a lot during the day - then falls asleep a bit
> later), and doesn't wake up before 7:30 (if she fell asleep later, she
wakes
> up closer to 9 am).
>
> I was also very worried about that, whether she got enough to eat, whether
> she is ok if she sleeps so much (during the day she usually has 2 hours
> awake - 2 .5 hours sleeping cycles; she sleeps during the walk, too), etc.
>
> Her paediatrician says she is gaining weight normally (she weighed 8 lbs
at
> birth; 7.6 lbs the first week home, and 9.6 lbs at her first check-up when
> she was one month old), has a lot of wet & dirty nappies, and that she is
> healthy and well-developing.
> Her advice was not to wake her up during the night if she wants to sleep
> (and to count my blessings ;-), but to give her more if she wants during
the
> day.
> And she wants to eat more during the day - recently she wants to
breastfeed
> from both breasts (in the beginning it was one breast per feeding) and our
> sessions last in average 10 minutes longer than before (before she'd eat
for
> 20 minutes flat, then spit out the nipple; now she eats for 30 minutes,
cca
> 15 minutes at each breast, and then she spits the nipple out). We have our
> 2-month check-up on Friday, so we will see how this new pattern is
> influencing her weight gain.
>
> Enjoy the sleep ;-) or call the paediatrician if you think your baby might
> be hungry even though she continues sleeping.
>
> Best wishes,
> Elly
> Mom to Erin - Oct 12th, 2003.

Thanks everyone. I am loving your advice!

Irene
December 10th 03, 02:34 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message >...
> Last night, my 11.5 week old dd slept from 9:00 to 7:00 this am. And I got
> HER up to eat. I confess I slept until then. I believe that the last couple
> of nights she has been sleeping way more at night because her naps have gone
> to hell in a handbasket. She eats great all day, it seems to me. She is
> grumpy sometimes, but it has always seemed due to tiredness more than
> hunger. And anyway, I alsways nurse her before sleep anyway, so she has no
> lack of nursing opps. However, her pee and poop diapers are down. Maybe 3 mo
> /olds just sort of consolidate their elimination or something. But her poops
> are more green than mustard yellow. They used to be both, now they are more
> often green. As I say, she is pretty cheerful. What I am planning on doing
> is

A few thoughts: the number of poopy diapers going down is definitely
normal, and should be no cause for alarm. I'm not an expert on green
poop, but I believe they are usually a sign of distress. Is she
reacting to something in your diet, or have a cold? You do say she's
cheerful, so unless you get lots of them, I probably wouldn't worry.
How many wet diapers is she having? That's more important as a sign
of wether or not she's getting enough to eat. If she's getting enough
during the day, I wouldn't mess with a baby sleeping through the
night, and just consider yourself lucky!

Irene