PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect to feel?

Philly
December 9th 03, 10:11 PM
I think we may have finished breastfeeding. Dd (14 months) was only
nursing before bed until the weekend and since then she hasn't nursed
at all. I am not sure how I feel about it really but I've been trying
to find out what sort of feelings to expect and I haven't had any luck
so thought I'd try here! All I know is that today I have been quite
teary (although I think that may be my choice of tv programme!) and
have been grabbing dd for cuddles more than usual - is this related do
you think? Should I expect to be on a bit of a downer for a while?

Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated

Philly

New York Jen
December 10th 03, 01:05 AM
"Philly" > wrote in message
om...
> I think we may have finished breastfeeding. Dd (14 months) was only
> nursing before bed until the weekend and since then she hasn't nursed
> at all. I am not sure how I feel about it really but I've been trying
> to find out what sort of feelings to expect and I haven't had any luck
> so thought I'd try here! All I know is that today I have been quite
> teary (although I think that may be my choice of tv programme!) and
> have been grabbing dd for cuddles more than usual - is this related do
> you think? Should I expect to be on a bit of a downer for a while?
>
> Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated
>
> Philly

I know that when Laszlo weaned at 13 months I was absolutely devastated. I
felt rejected, even though I knew at the time that it had nothing to do with
rejection. It's probably a combination of hormones and just plain normal
missing that closeness. Laszlo was down to nursing only about 4 times per
week at bedtime, so it was gradual, but it still made me very sad.

The good news is that the sadness didn't last and I have all those great
memories. I'm really looking forward to nursing again when my lil girl
comes in March.

Several moms on here have expressed remorse when their babes weaned, you're
so not alone!

Good luck, hugs,

Jen

Ty
December 10th 03, 02:13 AM
Philly wrote in message ...
>I think we may have finished breastfeeding. Dd (14 months) was only
>nursing before bed until the weekend and since then she hasn't nursed
>at all. I am not sure how I feel about it really but I've been trying
>to find out what sort of feelings to expect and I haven't had any luck
>so thought I'd try here! All I know is that today I have been quite
>teary (although I think that may be my choice of tv programme!) and
>have been grabbing dd for cuddles more than usual - is this related do
>you think? Should I expect to be on a bit of a downer for a while?
>
>Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated

When my older daughter weaned at 17 months, I was teary for about a week,
mostly at night-time which is when she nursed in the end.
If you are fine and happy with it, there's nothing wrong wiht that either! I
have a feeling I will be happy when this baby is weaned.
Marie

laurie
December 10th 03, 03:38 AM

>Any advice/experiences greatly appreciated
>
>Philly

That's right when Jessica weaned, 14 months. I was definitely nostalgic and a
little sad, but it was easier than I expected because she did it on her own.
She had a *very gentle* nudge from me, but I was willing to continue nursing
longer if she wanted to. I think that's the key. If it's a mutual thing, you;ll
be ok.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 7.5 months