PDA

View Full Version : Storing milk flat in freezer?

Kathy
December 10th 03, 02:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has tried laying the Gerber
pre-sterilized zipper bags flat in the freezer, rather than standing
them up.

I only need a small amount in the freezer...right now I have about 6
bags standing up in there in a row and they are taking up a lot of
space. It occured to me this morning that maybe I could lay them flat
and then stack them, taking less space up. Will this work?

Thanks!
Kathy

Nikki
December 10th 03, 04:39 PM
Kathy wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here has tried laying the Gerber
> pre-sterilized zipper bags flat in the freezer, rather than standing
> them up.
>
> I only need a small amount in the freezer...right now I have about 6
> bags standing up in there in a row and they are taking up a lot of
> space. It occured to me this morning that maybe I could lay them flat
> and then stack them, taking less space up. Will this work?

Absolutely!! It took me awhile to do it too :-) It really makes the
freezer much nicer ;-)
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Mary W.
December 10th 03, 05:08 PM
Kathy wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here has tried laying the Gerber
> pre-sterilized zipper bags flat in the freezer, rather than standing
> them up.
>
> I only need a small amount in the freezer...right now I have about 6
> bags standing up in there in a row and they are taking up a lot of
> space. It occured to me this morning that maybe I could lay them flat
> and then stack them, taking less space up. Will this work?

Yup, that's how I did it. Little milk bricks. Never had one leak.
I actually stored them in a tupperware container in the freezer,
so even if they did leak it wouldn't get all over.

Mary

Phoebe & Allyson
December 10th 03, 07:45 PM
Kathy wrote:

> Will this work?

Works for me. I don't put more than 3 ounces in a bag, but
that's because Caterpillar rarely drinks more than that at a
time.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Nancy P
December 11th 03, 12:44 AM
"Kathy" > wrote in message

> It occured to me this morning that maybe I could lay them flat
> and then stack them, taking less space up. Will this work?
>
> Thanks!
> Kathy

Worked for me!
Nancy

zeldabee
December 11th 03, 03:38 AM
On 10 Dec 2003, Mary W. was all, like:
> Kathy wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone here has tried laying the Gerber
>> pre-sterilized zipper bags flat in the freezer, rather than standing
>> them up.
[...]

Yes, this is how I do it.

> Yup, that's how I did it. Little milk bricks. Never had one leak.
> I actually stored them in a tupperware container in the freezer,
> so even if they did leak it wouldn't get all over.

Wish I'd done that...there's six ounces on the bottom of my freezer now.
Six ounces! :o( I'm more upset about losing 6 ounces than I am about the
mess.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

Melissa
December 11th 03, 04:31 AM
I put mine in a ziploc (labelled with the month) lying flat. The best part
about doing it this way is that they defrost so quickly since there's a
large surface area.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Kathy" > wrote in message

> I was wondering if anyone here has tried laying the Gerber
> pre-sterilized zipper bags flat in the freezer, rather than standing
> them up.
>
> I only need a small amount in the freezer...right now I have about 6
> bags standing up in there in a row and they are taking up a lot of
> space. It occured to me this morning that maybe I could lay them flat
> and then stack them, taking less space up. Will this work?
>
> Thanks!
> Kathy

Kathy
December 11th 03, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone! Last night I froze one flat and this morning it looks
so nice and neat...I can't wait to use up the ones I have standing up in
there and replace them with nice flat ones.

Good suggestion about putting them in a tupperware container. I have a
large rectangular freezer container that will be perfect for that.

Thanks again!
Kathy

Irrational Number
December 11th 03, 06:37 PM
Isn't that nice, though? Much more amenable to my
sense of aesthetics!

I can't wait to get rid of all the unwieldy baggy ones. ;)

-- Anita --