PDA

View Full Version : A sad good bye.

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 11th 03, 04:56 PM
Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the miserable
person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast along as he
wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I still had
to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe me, and my
DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a shower and
was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that self
neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the point where I
would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my letdown. My
daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS was
beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were so high
that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down for
most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension was
dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go any
further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we have
switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet when
he is alert and content most of the time.

Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to avoid
rubbing it in my face.

I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it and
appreciated it.

K-K

Rob and Laura
December 11th 03, 05:51 PM
Your DS got 1 month of Breast milk and you know what that is better than
none. your baby gets alot out of breast milk for the 1st month of life and
you did good by doing that. Who knows maybe in a day or 2 you might feel
like going back to breastfeeding. Sometimes moms just need a break.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the miserable
> person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast along as
he
> wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I still
had
> to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe me, and
my
> DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a shower
and
> was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that self
> neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the point where
> would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my letdown. My
> daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS was
> beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were so high
> that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down for
> most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension
was
> dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go any
> further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we have
> switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet when
> he is alert and content most of the time.
>
> Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to
avoid
> rubbing it in my face.
>
> I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it
and
> appreciated it.
>
> K-K

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 11th 03, 06:00 PM
I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that they
will help with the engorgement.

"Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> Your DS got 1 month of Breast milk and you know what that is better than
> none. your baby gets alot out of breast milk for the 1st month of life
and
> you did good by doing that. Who knows maybe in a day or 2 you might feel
> like going back to breastfeeding. Sometimes moms just need a break.
>
> --
> Laura, TTC #2
> Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
> And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/
>

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the miserable
> > person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast along as
> he
> > wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I still
> had
> > to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe me, and
> my
> > DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a shower
> and
> > was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that self
> > neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the point
where
> > would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my letdown. My
> > daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS was
> > beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were so
high
> > that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down
for
> > most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension
> was
> > dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go
any
> > further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we
have
> > switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet
when
> > he is alert and content most of the time.
> >
> > Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to
> avoid
> > rubbing it in my face.
> >
> > I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it
> and
> > appreciated it.
> >
> > K-K

Denise
December 11th 03, 06:06 PM
> I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
they
> will help with the engorgement.

You could stop taking them. You could pump and give EBM and formula.

Circe
December 11th 03, 06:31 PM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
they
> will help with the engorgement.

What sort of "dry-up" pills? As far as I know, the pills they used to give
women to dry up milk supply were long ago pulled from the market because
they caused endometrial cancer.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Custom fabracation" -- Auto body shop sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Dawn Lawson
December 11th 03, 06:53 PM
Denise wrote:
> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
>
>>I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
>>I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
>
> they
>
>>will help with the engorgement.
>

> You could stop taking them. You could pump and give EBM and formula.

My thoughts exactly.
While I can empathise with the frustrations and pain (I had severe pain
from vasospasms and compression injury) of the first 6 weeks, and the
emotional distress (compounded for me by being totally alone to deal
with it, and struggling to have ANYone recognise that I had PPD) I
**cannot** sympathise with deciding to quit breast feeding/giving breast
milk. (especially when the OP says "I don't know why I took [dry-up pills]")

There was NO way my DS was not going to be breastfed, even on the nights
when I fantasized that my sol'n was to give him to his father to raise
(NOT!!!) since *he* would HAVE to give formula and **I Would Not**, even
when at times wasn't sure if I could stay sane and keep going with
breastfeeding. By about 6-8wks, it was much better/easier/less painful
and we're still nursing at 15 mo.

Dawn

Sue
December 11th 03, 06:54 PM
Oh no, what kind of dry up pills? They pulled some off of the market a long
time ago because it caused cancer. I would stop taking them immediately. To
dry up, all you need to do is wear a tight fitting bra or wear cabbage
leaves in your bra.

Anyway, ((((hugs))).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

> [...]
> high
> > > that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down
> for
> > > most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the
tension
> > was
> > > dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go
> any
> > > further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we
> have
> > > switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet
> when
> > > he is alert and content most of the time.
> > >
> > > Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to
> > avoid
> > > rubbing it in my face.
> > >
> > > I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed

Denise
December 11th 03, 06:55 PM
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message

> Denise wrote:
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> >>I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
> >
> > they
> >
> >>will help with the engorgement.
> >

> > You could stop taking them. You could pump and give EBM and formula.
>
> My thoughts exactly.
> While I can empathise with the frustrations and pain (I had severe pain
> from vasospasms and compression injury) of the first 6 weeks, and the
> emotional distress (compounded for me by being totally alone to deal
> with it, and struggling to have ANYone recognise that I had PPD) I
> **cannot** sympathise with deciding to quit breast feeding/giving breast
> milk. (

BTDT. My husband has been gone for the significant part of each child's
infancy. There was a point when DD #1 was a couple weeks old, and I was
crying and in agony because my breasts hurt so bad and I had mastisis and I
was depressed and on and on where he said, "we could just give her some
formula." He's never said that again, about any of the kids. And nursing
has never been easy for me.

Stephanie and Tim
December 11th 03, 07:00 PM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the miserable
> person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast along as
he
> wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I still
had
> to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe me, and
my
> DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a shower
and
> was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that self
> neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the point where
> would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my letdown. My
> daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS was
> beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were so high
> that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down for
> most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension
was
> dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go any
> further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we have
> switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet when
> he is alert and content most of the time.
>
> Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to
avoid
> rubbing it in my face.
>
> I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it
and
> appreciated it.
>
> K-K

I do not think you failed at all. Good for you! One month is a lot more than
a lot of people do. Breastfeeding is only ONE element to parenting. And you
gave your DS the best start you could, and need to consider ALL the members
of your family, yourself and DD included.

Pat yourself on the back, lady, because you deserve it.

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 11th 03, 07:02 PM
if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its some
sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
effective at drying nursing women up. And as for the pumping and feeding.
There is no way I would have the time for that that's what got me to formula
in the first place. It was taking up all of my time! I cant spend quality
time with my daughter, husband, and take some time for my self. I would
essentially be going back to where I was about 4 days ago.

"Sue" > wrote in message
> Oh no, what kind of dry up pills? They pulled some off of the market a
long
> time ago because it caused cancer. I would stop taking them immediately.
> dry up, all you need to do is wear a tight fitting bra or wear cabbage
> leaves in your bra.
>
> Anyway, ((((hugs))).
> --
> Sue (mom to three girls)
> I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
>
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ > wrote in message
> > I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> > I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
> they
> > will help with the engorgement.
> >
> > "Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
> > e.rogers.com...
> > > Your DS got 1 month of Breast milk and you know what that is better
than
> > > none. your baby gets alot out of breast milk for the 1st month of
life
> > and
> > > you did good by doing that. Who knows maybe in a day or 2 you might
> feel
> > > like going back to breastfeeding. Sometimes moms just need a break.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Laura, TTC #2
> > > Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**
> > > And 2 felines *Ashes(3) & George (5)*
> > > http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/izabellawelburn/
> > >

> > > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> miserable
> as
> > > he
> still
> > > had
> and
> > > my
> shower
> > > and
> > where
> My
> > high
> > for
> tension
> > > was
> > any
> > have
> > when

> > > avoid

> it
> > > and

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 11th 03, 07:05 PM
Thank you for not coming down on me. *pats self on the back*
Im ok with the decision I have made, and my (now sleeping son) appears to be
thankful too.

> I do not think you failed at all. Good for you! One month is a lot more
than
> a lot of people do. Breastfeeding is only ONE element to parenting. And
you
> gave your DS the best start you could, and need to consider ALL the
members
> of your family, yourself and DD included.
>
> Pat yourself on the back, lady, because you deserve it.

Buzzy Bee
December 11th 03, 07:10 PM
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:00:01 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
>I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that they
>will help with the engorgement.

I would look carefully into the side effects of the pills you are on.
I asked about such pills after I had Seoras and was told that the main
one (bromocriptine) no longer prescribed over here because they have
side effects, including stroke, seizures and heart attacks. Indeed
the FDA recommends that they not be prescribed to women for lactation
supression in the US either.

Hormonal ones tend to just delay the effect, as they trick your body
into thinking its pregnant again. From that point of view, you will
probably have no problems relactating if that is all you are on.

I just had to put up with engorgement etc and it took getting pregnant
again to stop needing breastpads.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Stephanie and Tim
December 11th 03, 07:12 PM
"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message

> Denise wrote:
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> >>I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
> >
> > they
> >
> >>will help with the engorgement.
> >

> > You could stop taking them. You could pump and give EBM and formula.
>
> My thoughts exactly.
> While I can empathise with the frustrations and pain (I had severe pain
> from vasospasms and compression injury) of the first 6 weeks, and the
> emotional distress (compounded for me by being totally alone to deal
> with it, and struggling to have ANYone recognise that I had PPD) I
> **cannot** sympathise with deciding to quit breast feeding/giving breast
> milk. (especially when the OP says "I don't know why I took [dry-up
pills]")

> There was NO way my DS was not going to be breastfed, even on the nights
> when I fantasized that my sol'n was to give him to his father to raise
> (NOT!!!) since *he* would HAVE to give formula and **I Would Not**, even
> when at times wasn't sure if I could stay sane and keep going with
> breastfeeding. By about 6-8wks, it was much better/easier/less painful
> and we're still nursing at 15 mo.
>
> Dawn

I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is more
to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are alternatives
that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would allow
me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the time
and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I say,
breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

Sue
December 11th 03, 08:06 PM
I still would take a look at what you're taking. Drying up is not that big
of a deal to try and dry up.

I'm not sure where pumping came from, I never said anything about that. ?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

> if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its
some
> sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
> effective at drying nursing women up. And as for the pumping and feeding.
> There is no way I would have the time for that that's what got me to
formula
> in the first place. It was taking up all of my time! I cant spend quality
> time with my daughter, husband, and take some time for my self. I would
> essentially be going back to where I was about 4 days ago.
>

> "Sue" > wrote in message
> > Oh no, what kind of dry up pills? They pulled some off of the market a
> long
> > time ago because it caused cancer. I would stop taking them immediately.
> > dry up, all you need to do is wear a tight fitting bra or wear cabbage
> > leaves in your bra.
> >
> > Anyway, ((((hugs))).
> > --
> > Sue (mom to three girls)
> > I'm Just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World...
> >
> > K-K ~Glass Boobs~ > wrote in message
> > > I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> > > I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
> > they
> > > will help with the engorgement.
> > >
> > > "Rob and Laura" > wrote in message
> > > e.rogers.com...
> than
> life
> > > and
> > feel

> > miserable
> along
> > as
> > still
> > and
> > shower
> self
> > > where
> > My
> > > high
> down
> > > for
> > tension
> go
> > > any
> > > have
> quiet
> > > when

> > it

Denise
December 11th 03, 08:14 PM
"Sue" > wrote in message
> I still would take a look at what you're taking. Drying up is not that big
> of a deal to try and dry up.
>
> I'm not sure where pumping came from, I never said anything about that. ?
> --

I did. But it was just a suggestion.

Denise
December 11th 03, 08:16 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Dawn Lawson" > wrote in
>
> I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is
more
> to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
> Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are alternatives
> that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
> breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would allow
> me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the time
> and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I say,
> breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
> support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
> breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

I agree with you, but when a person makes it seem like they're sad to not be
able to breastfeed, doesn't it make sense to offer them advice to help? If
she's truly happy with not breastfeeding and she thinks formula will make
her and baby happier, good, go for it.

Buzzy Bee
December 11th 03, 08:47 PM
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:02:35 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
>if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its some
>sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
>effective at drying nursing women up.

I direct you to the FDA's advice at
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00069.html. If you scroll
down you will come to:

"Based on several different studies, FDA estimates that only a very
small minority of women given lactation suppressants may possibly
benefit from the treatment. For the majority, taking the drug only
exposes them to possible side effects. "

The majority of doctors will not even prescribe these drugs for
lactation suppresion in women whose babies have died, where there is
the potential for psychological harm as a result of continuing
lactation.

They are prescribable because they are licensed as drugs for serious
medical conditions in which the risks outweigh the benefits. In those
conditions (Parkinson's Disease mainly, but also some forms of
arthritis) they are a drug of last resort, not a first line therapy,
precisely because of the side effects. The risks of not drying milk
up instantly are virtually non-existant, a few days, even weeks of
discomfort (and believe me, I know of what I speak) are nothing
compared with an established risk of stroke or heart attack, both of
which, I am sure I need not tell you, are potentially fatal.

Your doctor is working on out of date information in prescribing these
drugs.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Stephanie and Tim
December 11th 03, 09:06 PM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dawn Lawson" > wrote in
> >
> > I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is
> more
> > to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
> > Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are
alternatives
> > that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
> > breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would
allow
> > me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the
time
> > and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I
say,
> > breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
> > support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
> > breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

> I agree with you, but when a person makes it seem like they're sad to not
be
> able to breastfeed, doesn't it make sense to offer them advice to help?
If
> she's truly happy with not breastfeeding and she thinks formula will make
> her and baby happier, good, go for it.

I guess I read it differently. I did not think she was looking for advice to
help. But yeah, I agree with you.

Cheryl S.
December 11th 03, 09:36 PM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> I just want to say thanks all for your support for
> 1 month! I needed it and appreciated it.

{{K-K}} There are many, many other aspects to parenting besides what or
how you feed the baby, please don't consider yourself a failure just
because of this one thing. I'm sorry you didn't have the support you
needed at home, to be able to continue bf. IME it would have only been
a couple more weeks before your baby got significantly faster at
nursing, and you'd have the time you wanted to spend with your other
family members *and* still be breastfeeding. But it does sound like you
were all very stressed out and maybe even a couple more weeks just
wasn't feasible.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Kereru
December 11th 03, 11:30 PM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its
some
> sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
> effective at drying nursing women up. And as for the pumping and feeding.
> There is no way I would have the time for that that's what got me to
formula
> in the first place. It was taking up all of my time! I cant spend quality
> time with my daughter, husband, and take some time for my self. I would
> essentially be going back to where I was about 4 days ago.

Once you make the decision don't look back. The reason you have given up is
for your sanity so don't jeapordise that with agonsing over it. If your
family is happier you have made the right decision.

Judy

Dawn Lawson
December 11th 03, 11:37 PM
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> "Denise" > wrote in message
>
>>"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"Dawn Lawson" > wrote in
>>>
>>>I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is
>>
>>more
>>
>>>to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
>>>Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are
>
> alternatives
>
>>>that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
>>>breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would
>
> allow
>
>>>me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the
>
> time
>
>>>and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I
>
> say,
>
>>>breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
>>>support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
>>>breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

meow

>>I agree with you, but when a person makes it seem like they're sad to not
>
> be
>
>>able to breastfeed, doesn't it make sense to offer them advice to help?
>
> If
>
>>she's truly happy with not breastfeeding and she thinks formula will make
>>her and baby happier, good, go for it.
>>

> I guess I read it differently. I did not think she was looking for advice to
> help. But yeah, I agree with you.

especially so near where most problems level out anyhow.

Dawn

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 12:18 AM
Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice place
for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has torn
up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
NEEDS to change.

K-K

Dawn Lawson
December 12th 03, 01:24 AM
Elfanie wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:56:26 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
> wrote:
>

>>I could tell the tension was
>>dwindling my supply.
>

> *snip*
>
>>I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
>>I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that they
>>will help with the engorgement.
>

> Ok...I'm confused.
>
> the only pills I know that will "dry you up" is bromocriptine (brand
> name Parlodel). Unlike most people are mistaken about, they are not
> off the market. they also are not an arthritis drug...they are an
> anti-parkinsons drug. they DID stop giving them to dry up milk
> supplies because there are a LOT of risks to bromocriptine, a LOT of
> side effects, and it was deemed not worth it to have that level of
> risk for that temporary of a problem.

bromocriptine is also used for pituitary tumors, and to lower prolactin
(PCOS) in order to concieve. (and also for reducing milk production,
obviously)

And certainly not off the market, at least not in Canada.

> HOWEVER....that aside..
>
> You are stopping nursing because you are tired and stressed because
> your baby wants to nurse all the time and you feel your supply is
> dwindling..
> yet you're taking something to dry you up?? *boggles* I suppose I
> just don't understand this...not at all. Makes no sense....

It's not about supply issues *at all*.

Dawn

badgirl
December 12th 03, 01:29 AM

> Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
place
> for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has torn
> up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
> NEEDS to change.
>
> K-K

I would think that change needs to come from DH. Instead of dreading coming
home he could be somewhat more understanding. nstead of telling you that the
house is trashed he could just pick up and deal with it. Instead of letting
you cry he could make you a cup of hot chocolate and take the 3YO for an
hour or two for you.
I don't see your problems as being BF problems, I see them as being DH
problems. He needs to be the one to support you now and I'm truely sorry
that he isn't. I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry for your baby and I'm sorry for
your whole family unit. If he won't support you in something as *small* (in
the whole picture) as this, what happens when something major comes along?

Jen
*who can't STAND unsupportive husbands*

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 02:09 AM

> Stephanie and Tim wrote:
>
> > "Denise" > wrote in message
> >
> >>"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in
message

> >>more

> > alternatives

> > allow

> > time

> > say,

> meow

What does "meow" mean in this context? Thanks.

> >>I agree with you, but when a person makes it seem like they're sad to
not

> > be
> >
> >>able to breastfeed, doesn't it make sense to offer them advice to help?
> >
> > If
> >
> >>she's truly happy with not breastfeeding and she thinks formula will
make
> >>her and baby happier, good, go for it.
> >>

> > I guess I read it differently. I did not think she was looking for
advice to
> > help. But yeah, I agree with you.
>

> especially so near where most problems level out anyhow.
>

> Dawn

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 02:14 AM
read my original post, Its not about my drying up... I felt my supply *was*
dwindling which was adding to the downward spiral. I want to stop nursing
because of the stresses I am putting on my self and others. I want to stop
nursing because I miss my DD and my DH. I want to stop because he was on my
feeding too frequently than I could handle emotionally. My daughter was un
able to deal with it as well and that made me feel guilty etc... I'm not
going to go on. I took the pills because I wanted to dry up faster. when I
said I don't know why I took them I meant (I don't know why I took them, I
guess I could have dried up on my own.

"Elfanie" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:56:26 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
> wrote:
>
> > I could tell the tension was
> >dwindling my supply.
>
> *snip*
> >I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
> >I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that
they
> >will help with the engorgement.
>
> Ok...I'm confused.
>
> the only pills I know that will "dry you up" is bromocriptine (brand
> name Parlodel). Unlike most people are mistaken about, they are not
> off the market. they also are not an arthritis drug...they are an
> anti-parkinsons drug. they DID stop giving them to dry up milk
> supplies because there are a LOT of risks to bromocriptine, a LOT of
> side effects, and it was deemed not worth it to have that level of
> risk for that temporary of a problem.
>
> HOWEVER....that aside..
>
> You are stopping nursing because you are tired and stressed because
> your baby wants to nurse all the time and you feel your supply is
> dwindling..
> yet you're taking something to dry you up?? *boggles* I suppose I
> just don't understand this...not at all. Makes no sense....
>

> Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
> Mesa, AZ
> Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
> Student Midwife
> Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography
>
> http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL
PHOTOS

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 03:14 AM
Why cant I be a bit disappointed in my self not being able to handle breast
feeding and a family life at the same time?
I am going through a bunch of emotions! I am glad to have more free time to
spend with my DD and DH! but I am ashamed and disappointed that I couldn't
last bf'ing longer, emotionally it was more than I can handle.
I weighed all the pros and cons and well it came out with more cons if I
continued to bf.

"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Dawn Lawson" > wrote in message
> >

> > Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> message

> > > alternatives

> problems
> > >
> > > allow

> > > time

> > > say,

> > meow
> >

> What does "meow" mean in this context? Thanks.

> not
> > >
> > > be

> > > If

> make
> > >>

> > > I guess I read it differently. I did not think she was looking for
> advice to
> > > help. But yeah, I agree with you.
> >

> > especially so near where most problems level out anyhow.
> >

> > Dawn

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 03:23 AM
in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY TOGETHER! HE
IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY SO
MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN CONSOLE ME
AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM NEGLECTING
HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING WILL
AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)

it is not a small thing, it was a big deal! Nevermind my dh, my daughter was
suffering greatly because of this. I great cure would be to put her in
preschool a couple afternoons a week but we cant afford it and are just
barely above the financial standards for any type of subsidy. I have looked
at many routes to try and make this better on every one.
I am only 22
DH is 26
DD is almost 4
DS is 4.5 weeks
We own a house
We own a new car
We are doing very well for people so young, and its hard and stressful to
deal with all of these (new) responsibilities. Maybe I'm not mature enough
to be completely selfless, maybe I'm not mature enough to figure out how to
bf and take care of my family. Regardless, I am trying my best.

"badgirl" > wrote in message

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> >

> > Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
> place
> > for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has
torn
> > up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
> > NEEDS to change.
> >
> > K-K
> >

> I would think that change needs to come from DH. Instead of dreading
coming
> home he could be somewhat more understanding. nstead of telling you that
the
> house is trashed he could just pick up and deal with it. Instead of
letting
> you cry he could make you a cup of hot chocolate and take the 3YO for an
> hour or two for you.
> I don't see your problems as being BF problems, I see them as being DH
> problems. He needs to be the one to support you now and I'm truely sorry
> that he isn't. I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry for your baby and I'm sorry
for
> your whole family unit. If he won't support you in something as *small*
(in
> the whole picture) as this, what happens when something major comes along?
>
> Jen
> *who can't STAND unsupportive husbands*

badgirl
December 12th 03, 04:40 AM
Do you think maybe you could refrain from yelling?
I could be a royal ass and go on the defensive and yell back but I won't. I
simply pointed out what I saw as the problem, and I still feel that's the
most likely suspect.
It seems to me that you could make other choices and have it turn out well
for all of you. I'm glad you got your baby as much breastmilk as you did,
but I'm also dissappointed just like I was when my sisters quit. They had
the same kinds of excuses and it didn't matter how much I offered to
help...even to the point of babysitting for their older kids so they could
get a good rythm going with BF for the babies. Apparently like you, they had
made up their minds and nothing I offered to help with was going to change
it. Whatever. No, breastfeeding is not the only important aspect of
parenting, but it is a big one IMO and sometimes other things need to be at
least temporarily readjusted in order to succeed at it...or any other part
of being a parent for that matter.

Jen
> in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY TOGETHER!
HE
> IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY SO
> MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN CONSOLE ME
> AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
NEGLECTING
> HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING WILL
> AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)
>
> it is not a small thing, it was a big deal! Nevermind my dh, my daughter
was
> suffering greatly because of this. I great cure would be to put her in
> preschool a couple afternoons a week but we cant afford it and are just
> barely above the financial standards for any type of subsidy. I have
looked
> at many routes to try and make this better on every one.
> I am only 22
> DH is 26
> DD is almost 4
> DS is 4.5 weeks
> We own a house
> We own a new car
> We are doing very well for people so young, and its hard and stressful to
> deal with all of these (new) responsibilities. Maybe I'm not mature enough
> to be completely selfless, maybe I'm not mature enough to figure out how
> bf and take care of my family. Regardless, I am trying my best.
>
> "badgirl" > wrote in message
> >
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
> > place
> > > for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has
> torn
> > > up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know
something
> > > NEEDS to change.
> > >
> > > K-K
> > >

> > I would think that change needs to come from DH. Instead of dreading
> coming
> > home he could be somewhat more understanding. nstead of telling you that
> the
> > house is trashed he could just pick up and deal with it. Instead of
> letting
> > you cry he could make you a cup of hot chocolate and take the 3YO for an
> > hour or two for you.
> > I don't see your problems as being BF problems, I see them as being DH
> > problems. He needs to be the one to support you now and I'm truely sorry
> > that he isn't. I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry for your baby and I'm sorry
> for
> > your whole family unit. If he won't support you in something as *small*
> (in
> > the whole picture) as this, what happens when something major comes
along?

> > Jen
> > *who can't STAND unsupportive husbands*

Denise
December 12th 03, 06:26 AM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY TOGETHER!
HE
> IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY SO
> MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN CONSOLE ME
> AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
NEGLECTING
> HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING WILL
> AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)

I'm really, honestly things didn't work out for you. Have you considered
maybe getting screened for PPD? What do you suppose other moms with more
than one child do while they nurse? Its good that you are doing so well for
your age, but honestly, age has nothing to do with maturity, or parenting,
or the ability to handle responsibilities, or make commitments.. etc. I'm
24. I have 3 kids and 1 on the way. My husband's 31, he's been in the Navy
for 14 years and we own stuff. Does that make me or him better parents than
you or anyone else? No. Parenting isn't a competition. If you're happy,
good. You don't need to make excuses for making decision. Part of being an
adult is making decisions for your family. You did. Good. Don't make
excuses to appease others.

Denise
December 12th 03, 06:27 AM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> I'm really, honestly things..

Oops, should be sorry

iphigenia
December 12th 03, 06:53 AM
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

>> meow
>>

> What does "meow" mean in this context? Thanks.

I would say that Dawn felt that your implication that those of us who feel
breastfeeding is very important also feel that breastfeeding is ALL
parenting is about and/or that parents who don't breastfeed are bad, was
catty. At least, that's how I saw your remark.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

KC
December 12th 03, 07:40 AM
I can certainly sympathise because I had a baby that seemed like she
was attached to the breast for 3 uninterrupted months :-) and a 3 year
old. I did feel bad about not giving the 3 year old near as much
attention for those 3 months.

I think you should still reconsider and get off those pills. You
should bounce back really quick at this point. I think if you cannot
handle all the time breastfeeding, you should supplement a little
rather than giving it up 100%. I feel very strongly that that would be
the very best thing to do right now in light of the flu that is going
around, since breast milk gives immunities to your baby and he is in a
high risk group for complications. I would personally be scared stiff
about giving up bf right now.

I have been unable to find a flu vaccine for my 3 year old, so I am
planning to give her some pumped milk every day to help protect her
from getting the flu as severely.

Even if you could just give your son a little bit of pumped milk every
day that would be some immunities to help him.

KC

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message news:<_k1Cb.665800$9l5.12412@pd7tw2no>...
> Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the miserable
> person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast along as he
> wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I still had
> to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe me, and my
> DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a shower and
> was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that self
> neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the point where I
> would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my letdown. My
> daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS was
> beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were so high
> that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down for
> most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension was
> dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go any
> further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we have
> switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet when
> he is alert and content most of the time.
>
> Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to avoid
> rubbing it in my face.
>
> I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it and
> appreciated it.
>
> K-K

Emily Roysdon
December 12th 03, 09:09 AM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> it is not a small thing, it was a big deal! Nevermind my dh, my daughter was
> suffering greatly because of this. I great cure would be to put her in
> preschool a couple afternoons a week but we cant afford it and are just
> barely above the financial standards for any type of subsidy. I have looked
> at many routes to try and make this better on every one.

So are you getting the formula for free?

I'm not going to address the decision you've made; I hope everything
turns out okay for you, and for your baby.

For anyone who hasn't had a second child and is wondering how they can
handle breastfeeding and child-rearing, it certainly can be done. It's
been done for millenia, after all. It isn't always easy (but then
having more than one child isn't always easy, no matter how the child is
fed), but it is possible to give each of your children what they need
(and breastmilk is most certainly a *need*.) Slings or other
baby-carriers that allow you to continue on with life while
nursing/holding the baby are the solution to that problem, not giving
the baby an inferior food so the older child won't trash the house. But
like Mary S's husband says, "it's a commitment."

Emily

Anne Rogers
December 12th 03, 09:17 AM
I read this entire thread before I went to work this morning, now I've had
the whole car journey to muse over it and think of my comments.

First of all, stop taking the meds to dry you up, seems like they either
won't work when you stop them, or there is a high risk of bad side
effects.

This would leave you free to mixed feed, which from the point of view of
ease and convienience is the best of both worlds, it's not without
problems, but if you can feed him at nap time, bed time, breakfast etc and
give him a bottle other times, you save some money and some faff of making
bottles.

Finally, whilst all our responses indicate it's best to let him unlatch
himself, when other needs are greater, switching sides and burping in
between sides whenever sucking stops for a short time can make the feed
much quicker.

Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the normal
you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of events
that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in the
end it was inevitable.

Anne

Naomi Pardue
December 12th 03, 01:11 PM
>Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the normal
>you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
>inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of events
>that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in

>the
>end it was inevitable.

I agree with this advice. See someone about PPD. You sound very stressed and
unhappy. Regardless of what happens with the bfing [and, when you are feeling
better, you may or may not feel like trying again -- it's up to you -- but DO
stop the dry-up pills if you are still taking them. They can only do you harm]
you need to get this taken care of. Nursing a baby, even frequently, should not
be this misery-inducing, and the fact that it is suggests that there is
something else going on unrelated to the breastfeeding problems.
(And too, if you can manage it, pumping a few times a day would not be an
unreasonble thing to consider. It would not be as stressful and time consuming
as the constant feeding, it would provide you with a little milk to offer your
baby, and if you DO decide to give combi-feeding a try, it will maintain your
supply. [And if not, you can just continue to pump/offer EBM as long as you
wish, or you can just wean yourself from pumping just as you weaned the baby
from the breast.]

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Ty
December 12th 03, 02:06 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message ...
>Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice place
>for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has torn
>up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
>NEEDS to change.

I think it seems that it's your dh who needs to change...when there's a baby
a dh should expect some neglect and a torn-up home...my third baby was my
hardest, but luckily dh knew I wouldn't lavish all my attention onto him and
the house lol. He actually helped some!
Marie

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 02:07 PM
> Why cant I be a bit disappointed in my self not being able to handle
breast
> feeding and a family life at the same time?
> I am going through a bunch of emotions! I am glad to have more free time
> spend with my DD and DH! but I am ashamed and disappointed that I couldn't
> last bf'ing longer, emotionally it was more than I can handle.
> I weighed all the pros and cons and well it came out with more cons if I
> continued to bf.

You can. I am not sure why you are replying to my post with this, though.

<SNIP>

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 02:13 PM
You situation is stressful. You came to this newsgroup, one whose sole
purpose is for the support of breastfeeding, to seek sympathy for your
choice to formula feed. And from some of us, you got it. From others, you
did not. Not a great surprise, since this IS usenet. You chose a solution
for your situation as is your perogative, nay your duty, as a parent. Others
would choose other solutions to the same problems. These are problems that
many or all of us have faced too. Others are simply sharing with you there
opinions.

You are doing fine, though you do not seem particularly young for the
responsibilities you took on to me.

> [...]
> > >

> > I would think that change needs to come from DH. Instead of dreading
> coming
> > home he could be somewhat more understanding. nstead of telling you that
> the
> > house is trashed he could just pick up and deal with it. Instead of
> letting
> > you cry he could make you a cup of hot chocolate and take the 3YO for an
> > hour or two for you.
> > I don't see your problems as being BF problems, I see them as being DH
> > problems. He needs to be the one to support you now and I'm truely sorry
> > that he isn't. I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry for your baby and I'm sorry
> for
> > your whole family unit. If he won't support you in something as *small*
> (in
> > the whole picture) as this, what happens when something major comes

December 12th 03, 02:18 PM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY
TOGETHER!
> HE
> > IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY
SO
> > MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN CONSOLE
ME
> > AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
> NEGLECTING
> > HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING
WILL
> > AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)
> >

> I'm really, honestly things didn't work out for you. Have you considered
> maybe getting screened for PPD? What do you suppose other moms with more
> than one child do while they nurse?

Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO you do
when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free. It really
does not allow me to do much with DS but read. He likes to read, but not all
day. I used to be able to do run around vigorous play with him. He is
feeling the fact that I devoted the lion's share of my attention to him
before DD was born. Really, the only time I did housework was when he was
napping. Some of the things I can do are
- read
- do crafts to some limited extent. He prefers that Mom or Dad paint or draw
the things he likes to see. He is not that interested in crafts that he
wants to do them himself.
- plunk my 3 mo old in front of my excercise video (music and colors) that
she likes and play trains.

For me, the attention DD requires is not limited to nursing. I kind of think
that a baby may need less attention than I am giving her, whcih is almost
constant. But she cries if left in her seat, with or without toys, for more
than 2 minutes. The funnest thing for her is to talk (goo gaa etc) with Mom.
I know for a fact that she hangs out happily at daycare, the one day she has
been there. What is different at home?

> Its good that you are doing so well for
> your age, but honestly, age has nothing to do with maturity, or parenting,

I'm 35 and I am still radically irresponsible.

> or the ability to handle responsibilities, or make commitments.. etc. I'm
> 24. I have 3 kids and 1 on the way. My husband's 31, he's been in the
Navy
> for 14 years and we own stuff. Does that make me or him better parents
than
> you or anyone else? No. Parenting isn't a competition. If you're happy,
> good. You don't need to make excuses for making decision. Part of being
an
> adult is making decisions for your family. You did. Good. Don't make
> excuses to appease others.

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 02:19 PM
"iphigenia" > wrote in message

> >> meow
> >>

> > What does "meow" mean in this context? Thanks.
> >

> I would say that Dawn felt that your implication that those of us who feel
> breastfeeding is very important also feel that breastfeeding is ALL
> parenting is about and/or that parents who don't breastfeed are bad, was
> catty. At least, that's how I saw your remark.

Everyone has their priorities and they fall in different orders for
different people.

Nina
December 12th 03, 02:27 PM
I'm not unsupportive either, I just cant imagine whats so hard about
breastfeeding, I may have missed the other posts. Im currently nursing a 7
week old and I have 2 other kids, one is autistic, so its no picnic here.
But Im an old hand at it, I can nurse and walk, talk, play, etc.

I also did it at 22 when my 10 year old was born.
The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a bottlefed
baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is bottlefeeding going to fix
this?
Im not understanding the problem here.

"Denise" > wrote in message

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY
TOGETHER!
> HE
> > IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY
SO
> > MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN CONSOLE
ME
> > AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
> NEGLECTING
> > HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING
WILL
> > AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)
> >

> I'm really, honestly things didn't work out for you. Have you considered
> maybe getting screened for PPD? What do you suppose other moms with more
> than one child do while they nurse? Its good that you are doing so well
for
> your age, but honestly, age has nothing to do with maturity, or parenting,
> or the ability to handle responsibilities, or make commitments.. etc. I'm
> 24. I have 3 kids and 1 on the way. My husband's 31, he's been in the
Navy
> for 14 years and we own stuff. Does that make me or him better parents
than
> you or anyone else? No. Parenting isn't a competition. If you're happy,
> good. You don't need to make excuses for making decision. Part of being
an
> adult is making decisions for your family. You did. Good. Don't make
> excuses to appease others.

Nina
December 12th 03, 02:32 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote
> Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO you do
> when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free. It really
> does not allow me to do much with DS but read.

I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant get dressed
or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write, use the phone, play
barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the internet etc.

He likes to read, but not all
> day. I used to be able to do run around vigorous play with him. He is
> feeling the fact that I devoted the lion's share of my attention to him
> before DD was born.

That has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with having
another baby.

Really, the only time I did housework was when he was
> napping. Some of the things I can do are
> - read
> - do crafts to some limited extent. He prefers that Mom or Dad paint or
draw
> the things he likes to see. He is not that interested in crafts that he
> wants to do them himself.
Time to learn.

..

> For me, the attention DD requires is not limited to nursing. I kind of
think
> that a baby may need less attention than I am giving her, whcih is almost
> constant.
Um How old is she? Human newborns do need near constant attention.

But she cries if left in her seat, with or without toys, for more
> than 2 minutes. The funnest thing for her is to talk (goo gaa etc) with
Mom.
> I know for a fact that she hangs out happily at daycare, the one day she
has
> been there. What is different at home?
She has been to daycare one day, thats not enough to say she hangs out
happily. Im sure there are times at home when she is quiet as well. And at
home you are there, of course she wants to see you and be with you.

Dawn Lawson
December 12th 03, 03:46 PM
Elfanie wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:14:11 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
> wrote:
>

>>read my original post, Its not about my drying up... I felt my supply *was*
>>dwindling which was adding to the downward spiral.
>

> Exactly...
> and yet you were taking pills specifically to dry you up? Makes no
> sense.
>

>>I want to stop because he was on my
>>feeding too frequently than I could handle emotionally.
>

> *nods*
> Because you're taking pills to dry you up. You take something to dry
> your milk supply...your daughter responds by nursing constantly to try
> to build your milk supply up...and you quit because nursing is taking
> too much time and your supply is going away?
>
> Again...makes no sense to me.

She started the pills AFTER she decided that bfding wasn't going to work
and that DD and DH needed her more.

I suppose in some places, a new car and a house might seem critical to a
lifestyle, but some people make other choices that permit them quality
of life for the entire family without sacrificing a nursing relationship.

Certainly, obviously, nursing #2 is possible....there are MANY here who
even tandem nurse, and are productive and active members of their
communities.

Dawn

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 04:06 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote
> > Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO you
do
> > when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free. It
really
> > does not allow me to do much with DS but read.
>
> I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant get
dressed
> or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write, use the phone, play
> barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the internet etc.

How? I do not cook because I am afraid to burn her with steam. If I walk
around with her, I need both hands to hold her. With the sling, I only need
one hand to hold her, but I am not all that agile either.

> He likes to read, but not all
> > day. I used to be able to do run around vigorous play with him. He is
> > feeling the fact that I devoted the lion's share of my attention to him
> > before DD was born.
>
> That has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with having
> another baby.

Absolutely.

> Really, the only time I did housework was when he was
> > napping. Some of the things I can do are
> > - read
> > - do crafts to some limited extent. He prefers that Mom or Dad paint or
> draw
> > the things he likes to see. He is not that interested in crafts that he
> > wants to do them himself.
> Time to learn.

Time to learn what? I think I am missing something. Time for him to learn to
like crafts? Or time for me to learn to nurse and do other things at the
same time. I keep trying. I have no real urge to stop nursing.

> .
> >
> > For me, the attention DD requires is not limited to nursing. I kind of
> think
> > that a baby may need less attention than I am giving her, whcih is
almost
> > constant.
> Um How old is she? Human newborns do need near constant attention.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not interested in sticking her in her room and
telling her to raise herself. I guess I just need more practice meeting
everyone's needs at the same time. And I wondered if there were ways to give
the attention to her without actually holding her. Right now the undivided
attention that DS gets is limited to when Dad is home to attend DD. The key
is to always use this time wisely, I think and not squander it.

> But she cries if left in her seat, with or without toys, for more
> > than 2 minutes. The funnest thing for her is to talk (goo gaa etc) with
> Mom.
> > I know for a fact that she hangs out happily at daycare, the one day she
> has
> > been there. What is different at home?
> She has been to daycare one day, thats not enough to say she hangs out
> happily. Im sure there are times at home when she is quiet as well. And at
> home you are there, of course she wants to see you and be with you.

True enough. I think time will tell that we can all have our needs met and
get the attention we need. Thanks for your response. It reminds me where my
head should be at.

Stephanie and Tim
December 12th 03, 04:09 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm not unsupportive either, I just cant imagine whats so hard about
> breastfeeding, I may have missed the other posts. Im currently nursing a 7
> week old and I have 2 other kids, one is autistic, so its no picnic here.
> But Im an old hand at it, I can nurse and walk, talk, play, etc.
>
> I also did it at 22 when my 10 year old was born.
> The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a bottlefed
> baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is bottlefeeding going to
fix
> this?
> Im not understanding the problem here.

I speculate that some of us (OK OK ME! :) tend to blame breastfeeding for
some of the adjustments we face as parents because it is the one thing that
only we can do. I sometimes *think* that all the issues will go away if I
can just feed the baby a bottle when it is not really true. It will just be
a different set of issues. Since I know this tendency in myself, I can watch
for it and ignore it when it rears its ugly head. Anyone else ever thought
this?

> "Denise" > wrote in message
> >
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > > in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY
> TOGETHER!
> > HE
> > > IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY
> SO
> > > MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN
CONSOLE
> ME
> > > AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
> > NEGLECTING
> > > HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING
> WILL
> > > AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)
> > >

> > I'm really, honestly things didn't work out for you. Have you
considered
> > maybe getting screened for PPD? What do you suppose other moms with
more
> > than one child do while they nurse? Its good that you are doing so well
> for
> > your age, but honestly, age has nothing to do with maturity, or
parenting,
> > or the ability to handle responsibilities, or make commitments.. etc.
I'm
> > 24. I have 3 kids and 1 on the way. My husband's 31, he's been in the
> Navy
> > for 14 years and we own stuff. Does that make me or him better parents
> than
> > you or anyone else? No. Parenting isn't a competition. If you're
happy,
> > good. You don't need to make excuses for making decision. Part of
being
> an
> > adult is making decisions for your family. You did. Good. Don't make
> > excuses to appease others.

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

mike and dena
December 12th 03, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear, but I can understand. It can certainly be hard at times, and
whether or not we'd admit it, I am sure that most of us here have thought at
some rough spot or another at least for a split sec that maybe a bottle
wouldn't be sooo bad... You tried, and that's what counts. Try not to let
anyone's neg comments get ya down.
FWIW, I would stop taking the dry up pills, tho. Regardless of whether or
not you decide to try again, they can have really serious side effects, and
most docs won't even prescribe them. For comfort and to discourage milk
production, place cabbage leaves inside your bra. Besides that maybe you
will miss your nursing relationship, and it can't hurt to nurse baby here
and there if you want, even if it is more for comfort than milk. Best of
luck!
Dena
PS- Lots more of us would be successful breastfeeders if we had glass boobs!

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:14 PM
its been done for so long because most people have practice with their first
born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
occupied because of large breasts.

no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry from
200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify for
government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too much
and that puts us just above the marker.

"Emily Roysdon" > wrote in message
om...
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
>
> > it is not a small thing, it was a big deal! Nevermind my dh, my daughter
was
> > suffering greatly because of this. I great cure would be to put her in
> > preschool a couple afternoons a week but we cant afford it and are just
> > barely above the financial standards for any type of subsidy. I have
looked
> > at many routes to try and make this better on every one.
>
> So are you getting the formula for free?
>
> I'm not going to address the decision you've made; I hope everything
> turns out okay for you, and for your baby.
>
> For anyone who hasn't had a second child and is wondering how they can
> handle breastfeeding and child-rearing, it certainly can be done. It's
> been done for millenia, after all. It isn't always easy (but then
> having more than one child isn't always easy, no matter how the child is
> fed), but it is possible to give each of your children what they need
> (and breastmilk is most certainly a *need*.) Slings or other
> baby-carriers that allow you to continue on with life while
> nursing/holding the baby are the solution to that problem, not giving
> the baby an inferior food so the older child won't trash the house. But
> like Mary S's husband says, "it's a commitment."
>

> Emily

Nina
December 12th 03, 05:17 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Nina" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote
> > > Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO you
> do
> > > when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free. It
> really
> > > does not allow me to do much with DS but read.
> >
> > I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant get
> dressed
> > or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write, use the phone,
play
> > barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the internet etc.
> >

> How? I do not cook because I am afraid to burn her with steam. If I walk
> around with her, I need both hands to hold her. With the sling, I only
need
> one hand to hold her, but I am not all that agile either.

I can nurse her while walking and use only one arm, just a matter of
learning how and becoming comfortable. I can hold her either over the
shoulder, football hold, or cradle hold using one arm.
I dont do major cooking while holding her, maybe some stirring and adjusting
of the heat. I hold her on one side away from the stove and use the arm on
the other side. With a sling you should have both hands free, you have to
trust that the sling will hold her though or you will always use one hand to
"help".

> > Really, the only time I did housework was when he was
> > > napping. Some of the things I can do are
> > > - read
> > > - do crafts to some limited extent. He prefers that Mom or Dad paint
or
> > draw
> > > the things he likes to see. He is not that interested in crafts that
he
> > > wants to do them himself.
> > Time to learn.
> >

> Time to learn what? I think I am missing something. Time for him to learn
> like crafts? Or time for me to learn to nurse and do other things at the
> same time. I keep trying. I have no real urge to stop nursing.

Time for him to learn that he has to do things by himself. Time to learn
that you cant be there for him like before. This isnt a BAD thing, its a
good thing. Time for him to be able to draw and paint and color on his own
then proudly show you what he did.

> Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not interested in sticking her in her room
and
> telling her to raise herself. I guess I just need more practice meeting
> everyone's needs at the same time. And I wondered if there were ways to
give
> the attention to her without actually holding her. Right now the undivided
> attention that DS gets is limited to when Dad is home to attend DD. The
key
> is to always use this time wisely, I think and not squander it.

Hey, they might not get undivided attention. When you have more than one,
thats how it goes. I have 3 kids, they share my attention. I nurse the baby
and talk to the older ones, they assist me w/diaper changes etc. The baby
isnt gettign undivided attention either because Im bouncing her, talking to
the others, helping w/homework, giving orders, etc etc.

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:17 PM
I agree, but when he is the one doing the picking up and some laundry etc...
he gets tired and worn out. My job is not always 24-7 although I am on call.
He works all day and comes home and works all night. I felt it was un fair
and it was running his energy on E. I need attention from him too.

"Ty" > wrote in message
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message ...
> >Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
place
> >for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has
torn
> >up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
> >NEEDS to change.
>

> I think it seems that it's your dh who needs to change...when there's a
baby
> a dh should expect some neglect and a torn-up home...my third baby was my
> hardest, but luckily dh knew I wouldn't lavish all my attention onto him
and
> the house lol. He actually helped some!
> Marie

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:18 PM
I took dryup pills AFTER deciding to stop nursing, I was not trying to nurse
and dry up at the same time.

"Elfanie" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:14:11 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
> wrote:
>
> >read my original post, Its not about my drying up... I felt my supply
*was*
> >dwindling which was adding to the downward spiral.
>
> Exactly...
> and yet you were taking pills specifically to dry you up? Makes no
> sense.
>
> > I want to stop because he was on my
> >feeding too frequently than I could handle emotionally.
>
> *nods*
> Because you're taking pills to dry you up. You take something to dry
> your milk supply...your daughter responds by nursing constantly to try
> to build your milk supply up...and you quit because nursing is taking
> too much time and your supply is going away?
>
> Again...makes no sense to me.
>
> But we all make choices and do what we feel is right for us...
>

> Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
> Mesa, AZ
> Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
> Student Midwife
> Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography
>
> http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL
PHOTOS

Nina
December 12th 03, 05:20 PM
If I were bottle feeding I'd blame it all on the bottle.
It makes her gassy
It makes her fussy
Thats why she's sick
I spend too much time making formula
I spend too much time cleaning bottles

Yeah, I think whatever it is, you can find a way to make it the scapegoat
for other issues.
Breastfeeding IMO makes it easier to deal with other kids. I dont have to
stop what I am doing to go prepare a bottle, I can just give her the breast
and continue what I am doing. I would need a hand to hold her and a hand to
feed her with a bottle, with the breast I can use only one. And with a
pillow and sitting indian style, I can nurse her with no hands if I need
both hands free for a brief time.

> [...]
well
> > for
> > > your age, but honestly, age has nothing to do with maturity, or
> parenting,
> > > or the ability to handle responsibilities, or make commitments.. etc.
> I'm
> > > 24. I have 3 kids and 1 on the way. My husband's 31, he's been in
the
> > Navy
> > > for 14 years and we own stuff. Does that make me or him better
parents
> > than
> > > you or anyone else? No. Parenting isn't a competition. If you're
> happy,
> > > good. You don't need to make excuses for making decision. Part of
> being
> > an
> > > adult is making decisions for your family. You did. Good. Don't

December 12th 03, 05:23 PM
ok sorry, Im not very materialistic... they are not *new*, they are to me.
we bought the cheapest house we could find in a decent area. And our car is
a lease, its not a high end model. But it adds to the responsibilities. Our
house needs work, our car needs fixing, we need to do more than duct tape to
keep our house from slowly falling apart. We just bought the house, and car,
And its difficult to plan finances around these new things and deal with
contracts and paper work, etc.. it just all adds up you know?

> Elfanie wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:14:11 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>read my original post, Its not about my drying up... I felt my supply
*was*
> >>dwindling which was adding to the downward spiral.
> >

> > Exactly...
> > and yet you were taking pills specifically to dry you up? Makes no
> > sense.
> >

> >>I want to stop because he was on my
> >>feeding too frequently than I could handle emotionally.
> >

> > *nods*
> > Because you're taking pills to dry you up. You take something to dry
> > your milk supply...your daughter responds by nursing constantly to try
> > to build your milk supply up...and you quit because nursing is taking
> > too much time and your supply is going away?
> >
> > Again...makes no sense to me.
>
> She started the pills AFTER she decided that bfding wasn't going to work
> and that DD and DH needed her more.
>
> I suppose in some places, a new car and a house might seem critical to a
> lifestyle, but some people make other choices that permit them quality
> of life for the entire family without sacrificing a nursing relationship.
>
> Certainly, obviously, nursing #2 is possible....there are MANY here who
> even tandem nurse, and are productive and active members of their
> communities.
>
> Dawn

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:24 PM
I want to stop breast feeding.

"KC" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
high
> > that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting down
for
> > most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the tension
was
> > dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not go
any
> > further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since we
have
> > switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's quiet
when
> > he is alert and content most of the time.
> >
> > Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses try to
avoid
> > rubbing it in my face.
> >
> > I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I needed it

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:24 PM
I want to stop.

"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> I read this entire thread before I went to work this morning, now I've had
> the whole car journey to muse over it and think of my comments.
>
> First of all, stop taking the meds to dry you up, seems like they either
> won't work when you stop them, or there is a high risk of bad side
> effects.
>
> This would leave you free to mixed feed, which from the point of view of
> ease and convienience is the best of both worlds, it's not without
> problems, but if you can feed him at nap time, bed time, breakfast etc and
> give him a bottle other times, you save some money and some faff of making
> bottles.
>
> Finally, whilst all our responses indicate it's best to let him unlatch
> himself, when other needs are greater, switching sides and burping in
> between sides whenever sucking stops for a short time can make the feed
> much quicker.
>
> Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the normal
> you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
> inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of events
> that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in the
> end it was inevitable.
>
> Anne

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:25 PM
I am not stressed now that I have stopped bf'ing

I was just defending my Wonderful Amazing husband that supports any decision
I make.

"Naomi Pardue" > wrote in message
> >Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the normal
> >you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
> >inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of events
> >that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in
>
> >the
> >end it was inevitable.
>
> I agree with this advice. See someone about PPD. You sound very stressed
and
> unhappy. Regardless of what happens with the bfing [and, when you are
feeling
> better, you may or may not feel like trying again -- it's up to you -- but
DO
> stop the dry-up pills if you are still taking them. They can only do you
harm]
> you need to get this taken care of. Nursing a baby, even frequently,
should not
> be this misery-inducing, and the fact that it is suggests that there is
> something else going on unrelated to the breastfeeding problems.
> (And too, if you can manage it, pumping a few times a day would not be an
> unreasonble thing to consider. It would not be as stressful and time
consuming
> as the constant feeding, it would provide you with a little milk to offer
your
> baby, and if you DO decide to give combi-feeding a try, it will maintain
your
> supply. [And if not, you can just continue to pump/offer EBM as long as
you
> wish, or you can just wean yourself from pumping just as you weaned the
baby
> from the breast.]
>

> Naomi
> CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
>
> (either remove spamblock or change address to to
e-mail
> reply.)

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:26 PM
I am not on them any more, I am still engorged but now its only painful when
I sleep at night, and a little tylenol helps that.
thanks for understanding.

"mike and dena" > wrote in message
> Sorry to hear, but I can understand. It can certainly be hard at times,
and
> whether or not we'd admit it, I am sure that most of us here have thought
at
> some rough spot or another at least for a split sec that maybe a bottle
> wouldn't be sooo bad... You tried, and that's what counts. Try not to let
> anyone's neg comments get ya down.
> FWIW, I would stop taking the dry up pills, tho. Regardless of whether or
> not you decide to try again, they can have really serious side effects,
and
> most docs won't even prescribe them. For comfort and to discourage milk
> production, place cabbage leaves inside your bra. Besides that maybe you
> will miss your nursing relationship, and it can't hurt to nurse baby here
> and there if you want, even if it is more for comfort than milk. Best of
> luck!
> Dena
> PS- Lots more of us would be successful breastfeeders if we had glass
boobs!

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:28 PM
Not every one is a natural, I didnt BF my first so im not a bf'ing guru.

"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
> > > The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a
> bottlefed
> > > baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is bottlefeeding going
> > fix
> > > this?
> > > Im not understanding the problem here.
> >

> > I speculate that some of us (OK OK ME! :) tend to blame breastfeeding
for
> > some of the adjustments we face as parents because it is the one thing
> that
> > only we can do. I sometimes *think* that all the issues will go away if
> > can just feed the baby a bottle when it is not really true. It will just
> be
> > a different set of issues. Since I know this tendency in myself, I can
> watch
> > for it and ignore it when it rears its ugly head. Anyone else ever

P. G. Chavez
December 12th 03, 05:34 PM
> "Nina" > wrote in message <and I snipped>
> .. .
> >
> > "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote
> > > For me, the attention DD requires is not limited to nursing. I kind of
> > think
> > > that a baby may need less attention than I am giving her, whcih is
> almost
> > > constant.
> > Um How old is she? Human newborns do need near constant attention.

(I hope I have the attributions correct.)

I think that newborns do require less interaction than a
toddler/preschooler. Of course the baby must be fed, changed, held
close, talked to, etc. But there are more moments in a day either while
doing these things, or while the baby is sleeping, when a parent can
focus attention on the older child. For example, if the baby is content
being held for a while, the parent can focus on and talk with the older
sibling and occasionally smile at the baby as well.

I realize there are newborns in the first six weeks or so, who nurse 50%
of every day, but I don't think they are in the majority. Even those
babies who must be in physical contact with mom all day, such as in a
sling, don't necessarily demand mental attention most of the day. The
older child needs this attention more.

Just my thoughts,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]

DeliciousTruffles
December 12th 03, 05:34 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> I want to stop breast feeding.

That says it all.

Why look for support for that decision in a *Breastfeeding* newsgroup?

/scratches head

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 05:36 PM
I was not looking for support! I was saying thank you and goodbye. my
goodness, there are a lot of people that tend to selectively read.

"DeliciousTruffles" > wrote in
message ...
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
>
> > I want to stop breast feeding.
>
> That says it all.
>
> Why look for support for that decision in a *Breastfeeding* newsgroup?
>
> /scratches head
>
> --
> Brigitte aa #2145
> edd #3 February 15, 2004
> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/joshuaandkaterina/
>
> "Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare."
> ~ Harriet Martineau

Denise
December 12th 03, 05:55 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Denise" > wrote in message
> >
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > > in bold (IT IS NOT HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE ENTIRE FAMILY
> TOGETHER!
> > HE
> > > IS SUPPORTIVE, YOU DON'T KNOW HIM OR ME FOR THAT MATTER. THERE IS ONLY
> SO
> > > MUCH ANY ONES DH CAN TAKE, AND NO PUNY CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE CAN
CONSOLE
> ME
> > > AFTER SPENDING THE DAY WITH A DAUGHTER WHO IS CRYING BECAUSE I AM
> > NEGLECTING
> > > HER. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TIMES READING HER A BOOK WHILE IM NURSING
> WILL
> > > AMUSE A 3.5 YEAROLD, AND IM SICK OF USING T.V AS A BABYSITTER.)
> > >

> > I'm really, honestly things didn't work out for you. Have you
considered
> > maybe getting screened for PPD? What do you suppose other moms with
more
> > than one child do while they nurse?
>

> Hey, I am camping on here... but this has been on my mind. What DO you do
> when you nurse? I can nurse DD in the sling, but not hands free.

I don't do too much while I breastfeed, I've never felt the need to. Even
with 2 toddlers and a breastfed infant. I can play barbies, play play
dough, get sippy cups for the other two, supervise while the two older ones
play blocks or something. I've learned, especially with #3, that just not
*doing* something with the girls doesn't equate to neglecting them. I've
also learned to accept that there will be days when my house doesn't get
clean, and that's ok, especially in the beginning. When #3 was older I did
manage to vaccuum and nurse, or dust and nurse.

Denise
December 12th 03, 05:59 PM
> I agree, but when he is the one doing the picking up and some laundry
etc...
> he gets tired and worn out. My job is not always 24-7 although I am on
call.
> He works all day and comes home and works all night. I felt it was un fair
> and it was running his energy on E. I need attention from him too.

A household is a two person job, regardless of if someone stays home all day
or not. I won't even relate this to breastfeeding. It took my husband and
I a lot of adjustments to come to the agreement we have. He comes from a
traditional family where I should cook and clean and raise the kids... it
doesn't happen here. I work, we have 3 kids, he's in the Navy. He works
from 4am to 6pm. When he comes home, I do expect him to help me. Just
because he works longer hours than I, why should I shoulder more
responsibility?

DeliciousTruffles
December 12th 03, 05:59 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> I was not looking for support! I was saying thank you and goodbye. my
> goodness, there are a lot of people that tend to selectively read.

I'm not selectively reading. You posted excuses (and that's what they
were) as to why you were stopping breastfeeding. Yes, you thank the
newsgroup but with the posting of those excuses you are also looking for
validation for your decision, otherwise why post them.

If you just wanted to thank the newsgroup for previous support, you
could have said, "Thanks for the previous support, but I hate
breastfeeding (something you repeatedly said) and I want to stop so
that's what I did."

Of course people on this newsgroup are going to react negatively when
you start blaming breastfeeding for your problems. Other people offered
solutions but you chose to rationalize why they wouldn't work for you,
when the whole time it was that you "hated" breastfeeding and you wanted
to stop.

My point is you probably wouldn't have had this type of reaction if you
just would have stated the obvious.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Denise
December 12th 03, 06:00 PM
> I am not stressed now that I have stopped bf'ing
>
> I was just defending my Wonderful Amazing husband that supports any
decision
> I make.

except supporting the sacrifices breastfeeding requires.

Dawn Lawson
December 12th 03, 06:27 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
> Not every one is a natural, I didnt BF my first so im not a bf'ing guru.

How silly.
Even if you HAD, you woudln't be a natural with your first, right?
He's not your first born, but he was your first nursling.
So what? You don't need to be a guru to bfd.
Have you read other posts here?? LOTS of women aren't naturals, don't
relish the experience, have excruciating pain, horrid problems and older
children.

I wonder if your good bye was really a so-long or actually a wish for
more support to continue to nurse. You didn't sound very convinced
about taking the pills and you are still posting here.

Some of the "regulars" here are very knowledgeable, and I'm sure they
would be more than willing to take a private email if you didn't want to
get help from teh general board.

Dawn

Dawn Lawson
December 12th 03, 06:31 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> I was not looking for support! I was saying thank you and goodbye.

Ok, well bye bye now.

my
> goodness, there are a lot of people that tend to selectively read.

Brigitte is right. You've made your choice. A breastfeeding group is
NOT going to be the place where you will get support for that decision.
Try one of the other parenting groups.

> "DeliciousTruffles" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>>K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
>>

>>>I want to stop breast feeding.
>>
>>That says it all.
>>
>>Why look for support for that decision in a *Breastfeeding* newsgroup?
>>
>>/scratches head
>>
>>--
>>Brigitte aa #2145
>>edd #3 February 15, 2004
>>http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/joshuaandkaterina/
>>
>>"Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare."
>>~ Harriet Martineau

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 06:33 PM
> If you just wanted to thank the newsgroup for previous support, you
> could have said, "Thanks for the previous support, but I hate
> breastfeeding (something you repeatedly said) and I want to stop so
> that's what I did."
------------------
They are not excuses, they are reasons, if they were excuses I would be in
denial about what I am doing and not have any feelings of dissapointment
what so ever. If I had just plain posted "thanks, but I hate it so im
stopping" people would have asked for my reasons anyways.
------------------
> Of course people on this newsgroup are going to react negatively when
> you start blaming breastfeeding for your problems. Other people offered
> solutions but you chose to rationalize why they wouldn't work for you,
> when the whole time it was that you "hated" breastfeeding and you wanted
> to stop.
------------------
Yeah so? I dont blame blame breastfeeding as the cause of my problems. It
just added to my stresses. It was a peoblem I could eliminate. And yes
Breast feeding did cause a string of problems (for me). I am not a nursing
guru, I cant make supper and bf at the same time. I cant play with my
daughter and bf at the same time. I could only do it sitting or laying down,
using one hand to support his head, and the other to keep my large breasts
clear of his airway. I have even gone to the degree of having a lactation
consultant from LLL over at my home to show me what if anything I was doing
wrong. I was doing nothing wrong! I also found out why my nipples were so
sore, My son has a cleft in the bones under his gums and his gumd dip up
quite a bit into a little triangle: Un solveable.
---------------------
> My point is you probably wouldn't have had this type of reaction if you
> just would have stated the obvious.
---------------------
Was I too vague?
I thought I was to the point and honest?
---------------------

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 06:35 PM
Can a person not be thankful for the support that was given during 1 month
of breast feeding??
gosh, If I had known I would offend any one by thanking everyone and then
stating my reasons for leaving I would have never posted!

don't be so harsh and critical!

> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
>
> > I was not looking for support! I was saying thank you and goodbye.
>
> Ok, well bye bye now.
>
> my
> > goodness, there are a lot of people that tend to selectively read.
>
> Brigitte is right. You've made your choice. A breastfeeding group is
> NOT going to be the place where you will get support for that decision.
> Try one of the other parenting groups.
>

> > "DeliciousTruffles" > wrote in
> > message ...

> >>That says it all.
> >>
> >>Why look for support for that decision in a *Breastfeeding* newsgroup?
> >>
> >>/scratches head
> >>
> >>--
> >>Brigitte aa #2145
> >>edd #3 February 15, 2004
> >>http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/joshuaandkaterina/
> >>
> >>"Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare."
> >>~ Harriet Martineau

K-K ~Glass Boobs~
December 12th 03, 06:44 PM
I was not sure about taking the pills, I was SURE about drying up.

> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
> > Not every one is a natural, I didnt BF my first so im not a bf'ing guru.
> >

> How silly.
> Even if you HAD, you woudln't be a natural with your first, right?
> He's not your first born, but he was your first nursling.
> So what? You don't need to be a guru to bfd.
> Have you read other posts here?? LOTS of women aren't naturals, don't
> relish the experience, have excruciating pain, horrid problems and older
> children.
>
> I wonder if your good bye was really a so-long or actually a wish for
> more support to continue to nurse. You didn't sound very convinced
> about taking the pills and you are still posting here.
>
> Some of the "regulars" here are very knowledgeable, and I'm sure they
> would be more than willing to take a private email if you didn't want to
> get help from teh general board.
>
> Dawn

Dawn Lawson
December 12th 03, 06:49 PM
Michelle Podnar wrote:
> Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding support
> group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just your
> scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be upside
> down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!

HEAR HEAR!!

**exactly**

kylee
December 12th 03, 07:15 PM
All I can say about this thread is that it has made me even more grateful
for my dh. Granted DS is only 6 days old today, but ever since I ha ve come
home , he has been so much help, and asn't complained one bit. He has taken
over the cleaning, cooking and taking care of our 4 year old daughter. The
way we see it is that parenting and running the household is BOTH of our
responsibilities. HE wouldn't even think about getting after me if the house
was a mess cause dd went nuts and made a mess.. which she does all too well.
I do feel for you that BFing didn't work for you. I honestly think I would
be greatly heartbroken if I couldn't nurse any longer

kylee
Deadre 4
Brendan born 12/6/2003

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> I agree, but when he is the one doing the picking up and some laundry
etc...
> he gets tired and worn out. My job is not always 24-7 although I am on
call.
> He works all day and comes home and works all night. I felt it was un fair
> and it was running his energy on E. I need attention from him too.
>
> "Ty" > wrote in message
> > K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message ...
> > >Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
> place
> > >for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has
> torn
> > >up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know
something
> > >NEEDS to change.
> >

> > I think it seems that it's your dh who needs to change...when there's a
> baby
> > a dh should expect some neglect and a torn-up home...my third baby was
my
> > hardest, but luckily dh knew I wouldn't lavish all my attention onto him
> and
> > the house lol. He actually helped some!
> > Marie

Emily Roysdon
December 12th 03, 07:15 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
> its been done for so long because most people have practice with their first
> born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
> occupied because of large breasts.

Perhaps yours are larger than my F cups. Nearly everything is harder
once you have a second child, so the practice one has with a first born
is largely irrelevant; I actually had a harder time nursing my second
than my first, as he was the pro, not me. Had you even tried a sling?
I can't imagine parenting, period, without an infant in the sling,
because they still need a lot of holding and physical contact. Unless
formula negates the need for that?

In any case, people have succeeded (in lieu of actual supply problems,
in which case a wet nurse was located) for millenia because they did
what they had to do. Feeding the baby wasn't something they could feel
free to "hate" and then discard; it meant life or death, and some of us
believe it still does. In this modern age, however, people see formula
as a parenting "choice" and they react accordingly.

Having choices allows people to pick an inferior one. Most of us here
didn't make that choice, and so we did what had to be done for our
babies, knowing how important breastmilk is for babies and that formula
feeding causes real harm. If that's not one's mindset, then I guess the
choice is easier, but the reaction you're seeing here is disbelief
because most of us cannot imagine formula feeding by choice, knowing
what we know about breastmilk. We've also accepted that parenting means
sacrifice, at times, and that a baby is involved, it's the adults who
sacrifice. Breastmilk's benefits are just too important, and long-lasting.

> no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry from
> 200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify for
> government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too much
> and that puts us just above the marker.

$10 a month? I always thought it was $10+ a can. And that's if the baby
does "okay" on standard formula.

Emily

Andrea
December 12th 03, 07:33 PM
"Nina" wrote in message ...

> I'm not unsupportive either, I just cant imagine whats so hard about
> breastfeeding, I may have missed the other posts. Im currently nursing a 7
> week old and I have 2 other kids, one is autistic, so its no picnic here.
> But Im an old hand at it, I can nurse and walk, talk, play, etc.
>
> I also did it at 22 when my 10 year old was born.
> The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a bottlefed
> baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is bottlefeeding going to
fix
> this?
> Im not understanding the problem here.

I have 5 kids, am breastfeeding and have 1 autistic kid, another one with
apraxia and one that has seizures and I am still nursing.
I gave up b'feeding in the past because the biting was so bad, but the guilt
and depression that followed because I gave up was far worse than the pain
from the biting.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing strong
with 2 teeth!

Nina
December 12th 03, 07:49 PM
"P. G. Chavez" > wrote in message
> > "Nina" > wrote in message <and I snipped>
> > .. .
> > >
> > > "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote
> > > think
> > almost
> > > Um How old is she? Human newborns do need near constant attention.
>
> (I hope I have the attributions correct.)
>
> I think that newborns do require less interaction than a
> toddler/preschooler.

IMO newborns are ok with basic care and a little talking to. I think someone
else said they need a LOT of interaction.
Even those
> babies who must be in physical contact with mom all day, such as in a
> sling, don't necessarily demand mental attention most of the day. The
> older child needs this attention more.

I agree. I do much with the other kids while holding the baby

zeldabee
December 12th 03, 07:57 PM
Stephanie and Tim was all, like:
> "Nina" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> I'm not unsupportive either, I just cant imagine whats so hard about
>> breastfeeding, I may have missed the other posts. Im currently
>> nursing a 7 week old and I have 2 other kids, one is autistic, so
>> its no picnic here. But Im an old hand at it, I can nurse and walk,
>> talk, play, etc.
>>
>> I also did it at 22 when my 10 year old was born.
>> The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a
>> bottlefed baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is
>> bottlefeeding going to fix this?
>> Im not understanding the problem here.
>
> I speculate that some of us (OK OK ME! :) tend to blame breastfeeding
> for some of the adjustments we face as parents because it is the one
> thing that only we can do. I sometimes *think* that all the issues
> will go away if I can just feed the baby a bottle when it is not
> really true. It will just be a different set of issues. Since I know
> this tendency in myself, I can watch for it and ignore it when it
> rears its ugly head. Anyone else ever thought this?

I agree. During the first 6 weeks with my son, I'd thought many times that a
bottle might be easier, only because then Bloke could feed him sometimes,
and I could get some sleep. Looking back, I was still in shock, mostly from
the sleep deprivation. Especially when he was going through a growth spurt.
His 3 week growth spurt was horrendous--I went 2 days with no sleep at all,
and he was just insatiable. But I remember thinking, if I were formula
feeding, I'd still have to feed him, and what if he had a hard time
digesting it? He was already fussy and gassy. I stuck it out, mostly through
stubborness, but I really thought I'd lose my mind.

Then, somehow, I adjusted. The bond between my son and me grew stronger, I
was figuring out not just how to nurse, but how to be a parent, as my son
was figuring out how to eat, how to poop, how to be a human. We both had a
steep learning curve to climb. We turned a corner at around six weeks.
Actually it was six weeks almost to the day. We started sleeping through the
night (still nursing every 1.5-2 hours, just going right back to sleep
without a fuss), and although I still haven't slept more than 3 hours at a
stretch since I was about 8 months pregnant, somehow I'm ok with it. (And I
used to think I needed 9 hours of sleep a night. Ha!) Oh, and the Zoloft
helped, too.

I'm so glad I stuck with it, even though in some ways it *is* harder to BF
now, because I've got to pump for daycare. But the breastfeeding itself is
so much easier, and it is definitely my special time with my son. I hate
pumping, but I can't abandon it. It's important. I can't give my son
everything I'd like to be able to give, but I can give him that.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Anne Rogers
December 12th 03, 08:33 PM
> I want to stop.
*ouch*

I assumed you came to this newsgroup because you wanted to breastfeed, I
thought and tried to offer advice, I also try to think about other peoples
feelings, you didn't have to reply to my post, instead you post a one
sentence brush off reply that I found hurtful and for some reason really
upset me. I don't know why I bother.

> "Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > I read this entire thread before I went to work this morning, now I've had
> > the whole car journey to muse over it and think of my comments.
> >
> > First of all, stop taking the meds to dry you up, seems like they either
> > won't work when you stop them, or there is a high risk of bad side
> > effects.
> >
> > This would leave you free to mixed feed, which from the point of view of
> > ease and convienience is the best of both worlds, it's not without
> > problems, but if you can feed him at nap time, bed time, breakfast etc and
> > give him a bottle other times, you save some money and some faff of making
> > bottles.
> >
> > Finally, whilst all our responses indicate it's best to let him unlatch
> > himself, when other needs are greater, switching sides and burping in
> > between sides whenever sucking stops for a short time can make the feed
> > much quicker.
> >
> > Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the normal
> > you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
> > inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of events
> > that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in the
> > end it was inevitable.
> >
> > Anne

-----------
Anne Rogers

badgirl
December 12th 03, 08:52 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > I want to stop.
> *ouch*
>
> I assumed you came to this newsgroup because you wanted to breastfeed, I
> thought and tried to offer advice, I also try to think about other peoples
> feelings, you didn't have to reply to my post, instead you post a one
> sentence brush off reply that I found hurtful and for some reason really
> upset me. I don't know why I bother.

Because Anne, there really are people who do come here looking for real
advice and not justtification for quitting which is what glass titties did.
Unfortunately you have to get through a conversation with the fakes before
you actually find out they're not looking to BF, just make themselves look
better because *my goodness don't you see they TRIED FOR A WHOLE MONTH??*
Believe me, your advice is appreciated from the ones who really do want it.
It's too bad that there are people out there who don't but ask anyway
because it will make themselves feel better about giving up.

Jen

Michelle Podnar
December 12th 03, 09:25 PM
Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding support
group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just your
scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be upside
down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
> I was not looking for support! I was saying thank you and goodbye. my
> goodness, there are a lot of people that tend to selectively read.
>
> "DeliciousTruffles" > wrote in
> message ...
> > K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
> >
> > > I want to stop breast feeding.
> >
> > That says it all.
> >
> > Why look for support for that decision in a *Breastfeeding* newsgroup?
> >
> > /scratches head
> >
> > --
> > Brigitte aa #2145
> > edd #3 February 15, 2004
> > http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/joshuaandkaterina/
> >
> > "Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare."
> > ~ Harriet Martineau

Jacqui
December 12th 03, 09:27 PM
Nina wibbled

> I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant
> get dressed or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write,
> use the phone, play barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the
> internet etc.

This intrigues me. I can write, eat, use the phone, read, touchtype
(NAK hands-free is great), watch TV, spend all day on the net - but I
cannot nurse and walk so a lot of activities seem rather impossible to
me. Even just standing to nurse is still beyond me (a combination of
bad back, G-H (UK-US) cup breasts that make it rather impractical to
get T close enough to me, and the fact that T now likes to wriggle and
look around while feeding). I'm in awe of anyone who walks around doing
it...

Jac

Nina
December 12th 03, 10:59 PM
"Jacqui" > wrote in message
. 7...
> Nina wibbled
>
> > I'm on my 3rd baby. I can do most anything while nursing, I cant
> > get dressed or comb my hair, but thats about it. I can cook,write,
> > use the phone, play barbies, put tapes in the VCR, use the
> > internet etc.
>
> This intrigues me. I can write, eat, use the phone, read, touchtype
> (NAK hands-free is great), watch TV, spend all day on the net - but I
> cannot nurse and walk so a lot of activities seem rather impossible to
> me.

I was just nursing and vacuuming,and I've nursed and shopped in WalMart a
few times,

Even just standing to nurse is still beyond me (a combination of
> bad back, G-H (UK-US) cup breasts that make it rather impractical to
> get T close enough to me, and the fact that T now likes to wriggle and
> look around while feeding). I'm in awe of anyone who walks around doing
> it...
I guess smaller breasts help, its easy for me to walk, but not type :)

Michelle Podnar
December 13th 03, 12:00 AM
I think that she just wanted someone else to tell her to quit. I don't
think that she really wanted the help. A lot of us have gone through 6
weeks of hell (I know I did), with painful latches, round the clock nursing
etc...., but I was always told to get to at least 6 weeks before I make a
decision to BF or not to, because it takes that long to get it to a point
where it is mutually enjoyable for both. I am glad that I did stick it out,
and I am still nursing my 17 mos DD now (which I never imagined I would be).

It is hard when you pour all kinds of thought into advice and it is just
brushed off, and not even utilized, and now we are the bad ones because we
are so pro BF??

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > I want to stop.
> *ouch*
>
> I assumed you came to this newsgroup because you wanted to breastfeed, I
> thought and tried to offer advice, I also try to think about other peoples
> feelings, you didn't have to reply to my post, instead you post a one
> sentence brush off reply that I found hurtful and for some reason really
> upset me. I don't know why I bother.
>

> > "Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > > I read this entire thread before I went to work this morning, now I've
had
> > > the whole car journey to muse over it and think of my comments.
> > >
> > > First of all, stop taking the meds to dry you up, seems like they
either
> > > won't work when you stop them, or there is a high risk of bad side
> > > effects.
> > >
> > > This would leave you free to mixed feed, which from the point of view
of
> > > ease and convienience is the best of both worlds, it's not without
> > > problems, but if you can feed him at nap time, bed time, breakfast etc
and
> > > give him a bottle other times, you save some money and some faff of
making
> > > bottles.
> > >
> > > Finally, whilst all our responses indicate it's best to let him
unlatch
> > > himself, when other needs are greater, switching sides and burping in
> > > between sides whenever sucking stops for a short time can make the
feed
> > > much quicker.
> > >
> > > Oh and, definitely get checked out for PPD, ask yourself, does the
normal
> > > you behave like this? Formula feeding might be just delaying the
> > > inevitable. I know at the start of my PPD there were a couple of
events
> > > that delayed it's really obvious onset for a couple of weeks, but in
the
> > > end it was inevitable.
> > >
> > > Anne
> > >

> -----------
> Anne Rogers

Bruce and Jeanne
December 13th 03, 12:16 AM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry from
> 200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify for
> government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too much
> and that puts us just above the marker.

$10 a month for formula???!! It's $11.99 for a small can of powder
formula.

Jeanne

Bruce and Jeanne
December 13th 03, 12:23 AM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> Not every one is a natural, I didnt BF my first so im not a bf'ing guru.

Trust me, I was definitely no natural bf guru. With my first, I was
like you, crying, DH would come home to a crying mess (that would be
me), a little crying mess (that would be DD) and a messy house. It was
pretty awful. At 4 weeks? We were still going downhill - DH had bought
the formula and bottles. We were set to bottlefeed. The only thing that
stop us was 1) my pride - I just couldn't be the only one in my and
Bruce's family to formula feed; and 2) my cheapness - we choked when we
saw how much a can of powdered formula cost and the number of servings.
So I went on with this horrible breastfeeding thing.

With number two, it was *slightly* easier only because I knew things
would be hard for the first 8-12 weeks.

But as everyone says, the husband has to pull together if the mother
falls apart. Yes, it *IS* his responsibility, just like it would be
*your* responsibility to pull the family together if he fell ill. Same
thing.

In any case, good luck with your baby. I hope things go well for you.

Jeanne

Naomi Pardue
December 13th 03, 04:01 AM
>Exactly...
>and yet you were taking pills specifically to dry you up? Makes no
>sense.

My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that she decided to wean cold
turkey, so wanted 'dry-up pills' so she wouldn't get engorged. Of course, as we
all know, gradual weaning, if weaning is desired/necessary, rarely results in
signficant engorgement or the need for 'dry-up pills' or any other special
measures.

>*nods*
>Because you're taking pills to dry you up. You take something to dry
>your milk supply...your daughter responds by nursing constantly to try
>to build your milk supply up...and you quit because nursing is taking
>too much time and your supply is going away?

My understanding, again, was that she started the pills AFTER having made the
decision to wean. Not that she'd been taking the pills for a while, and was
then baffled by the failure of her supply/baby's increased demands.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Naomi Pardue
December 13th 03, 04:05 AM
>I am not stressed now that I have stopped bf'ing
>
>I was just defending my Wonderful Amazing husband that supports any decision
>I make.

He pretty obviously WASN'T supporting your decision to breastfeed, or he
wouldn't have been so upset about coming home to a messy house/frazzled wife.
(Which are part and parcel of new parenthood in general, but probably also more
common in the early weeks of breastfeeding.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Plissken
December 13th 03, 05:10 AM
"badgirl" > wrote in message

<snip> glass titties

Hee, hee. I must be in a weird mood tonight but I got a giggle out of this!

Nadene

KC
December 13th 03, 09:55 AM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message news:<8RmCb.674019$6C4.143001@pd7tw1no>...
> I want to stop breast feeding.

I've read alot of your posts and I can see with the palate problem
your ds has that gives you pain and with him constantly wanting to be
latched on how difficult it is and how it is so tempting to give in
and get some relief by giving some formula.

But, in light of how hard you already tried to give your ds the best I
can't understand why you wouldn't want to still bf (or pump) some when
it is so good for your baby even if you don't like it. It wouldn't be
as hard as it has been for youif you supplemented some, and it would
keep your baby getting some of the good stuff that he would benefit
from. I mean you already worked so hard to do the best for him, why
stop cold turkey at this point?

With my first dd who is 4 now I threw in the bf towel at 4 weeks too.
I switched to pumping though to continue giving her the benefits of
bm. She was on the breast constantly and still had low diaper counts
if I didn't give her formula too. I had to go back to work, and with
the way bf was going for us I decided to just pump. I regretted it.
She lost the ability to nurse, so that was it. I later really wished
she would nurse again, but it was too late. I still regret that I
gave up at 4 weeks.

I am not trying to make you feel guilty. I am just doing what I think
is the right thing to do for your ds, and that is convince you to give
him bm. As the saying goes breast milk is best.

KC

Clisby
December 13th 03, 11:13 AM
Michelle Podnar wrote:
> Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding support
> group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just your
> scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be upside
> down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!

Here, it has only been 22 months!

Clisby
(motto: If you think the house is messy, honey, the broom's in the closet.)

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 01:13 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]
> and
> > telling her to raise herself. I guess I just need more practice meeting
> > everyone's needs at the same time. And I wondered if there were ways to
> give
> > the attention to her without actually holding her. Right now the
undivided
> > attention that DS gets is limited to when Dad is home to attend DD. The
> key
> > is to always use this time wisely, I think and not squander it.
> >
> Hey, they might not get undivided attention. When you have more than one,
> thats how it goes. I have 3 kids, they share my attention. I nurse the
baby
> and talk to the older ones, they assist me w/diaper changes etc. The baby
> isnt gettign undivided attention either because Im bouncing her, talking
> the others, helping w/homework, giving orders, etc etc.

Thanks. I will practice the nursing on the move thing.

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 01:16 PM
"Nina" > wrote in message
.. .
> If I were bottle feeding I'd blame it all on the bottle.
> It makes her gassy
> It makes her fussy
> Thats why she's sick
> I spend too much time making formula
> I spend too much time cleaning bottles
>
> Yeah, I think whatever it is, you can find a way to make it the scapegoat
> for other issues.

That's what I meant.

> Breastfeeding IMO makes it easier to deal with other kids. I dont have to
> stop what I am doing to go prepare a bottle, I can just give her the
breast
> and continue what I am doing. I would need a hand to hold her and a hand
> feed her with a bottle, with the breast I can use only one. And with a
> pillow and sitting indian style, I can nurse her with no hands if I need
> both hands free for a brief time.

I think, any way you slice it, nursing comes out easier in a situation like
mine in which there are no problems to get over. It is pure mental deception
which makes one think that there is a quick "fix" to whatever the perceived
problem is, even when the problem is just adjusting to being a parent of the
kid(s) you have.

> "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Nina" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I'm not unsupportive either, I just cant imagine whats so hard about
> > > breastfeeding, I may have missed the other posts. Im currently nursing
> 7
> > > week old and I have 2 other kids, one is autistic, so its no picnic
> here.
> > > But Im an old hand at it, I can nurse and walk, talk, play, etc.
> > >
> > > I also did it at 22 when my 10 year old was born.
> > > The house wont be perfectly clean, but would it be clean with a
> bottlefed
> > > baby? The 3 year old needs attention, but how is bottlefeeding going
> > fix
> > > this?
> > > Im not understanding the problem here.
> >

> > I speculate that some of us (OK OK ME! :) tend to blame breastfeeding
for
> > some of the adjustments we face as parents because it is the one thing
> that
> > only we can do. I sometimes *think* that all the issues will go away if
> > can just feed the baby a bottle when it is not really true. It will just
> be
> > a different set of issues. Since I know this tendency in myself, I can
> watch
> > for it and ignore it when it rears its ugly head. Anyone else ever
thought
> > this?

> > > TOGETHER!
> ONLY
> > > SO
> > CONSOLE
> > > ME
> NURSING
> > > WILL

> > considered
> > more
> well
> > > for
> > parenting,
etc.
> > I'm
> the
> > > Navy
> parents
> > > than
> > happy,
> > being
> > > an
> make

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 01:17 PM
"Ty" > wrote in message
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message ...
> >Thanks for those who were understanding. My house is a much more nice
place
> >for others to be. When your husband dreads coming home because DD has
torn
> >up the house and mom is crying while nursing the baby you know something
> >NEEDS to change.
>

> I think it seems that it's your dh who needs to change...when there's a
baby
> a dh should expect some neglect and a torn-up home...my third baby was my
> hardest, but luckily dh knew I wouldn't lavish all my attention onto him
and
> the house lol. He actually helped some!
> Marie

My DH is very supportive too. Of course, he would get both barrels in the
chest if he were to complain about the state of housekeeping. :)

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 01:19 PM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> > I agree, but when he is the one doing the picking up and some laundry
> etc...
> > he gets tired and worn out. My job is not always 24-7 although I am on
> call.
> > He works all day and comes home and works all night. I felt it was un
fair
> > and it was running his energy on E. I need attention from him too.
> >

> A household is a two person job, regardless of if someone stays home all
day
> or not. I won't even relate this to breastfeeding. It took my husband
and
> I a lot of adjustments to come to the agreement we have. He comes from a
> traditional family where I should cook and clean and raise the kids... it
> doesn't happen here. I work, we have 3 kids, he's in the Navy. He works
> from 4am to 6pm. When he comes home, I do expect him to help me. Just
> because he works longer hours than I, why should I shoulder more
> responsibility?

I will take it one step further than what you are saying. I have always told
my husband I needed his "help." It finally dawned on me that this is tacitly
saying it is MY responsibility and he is HELPING. BS. It is HIS
responsibility too. Not Helping. Doing. So I changed my language a little.

Nina
December 13th 03, 02:15 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote>

> I will take it one step further than what you are saying. I have always
told
> my husband I needed his "help." It finally dawned on me that this is
tacitly
> saying it is MY responsibility and he is HELPING. BS. It is HIS
> responsibility too. Not Helping. Doing. So I changed my language a little.

Bingo! I told mine that I need help because I cant do it alone, so he has to
"do his part" around here.

December 13th 03, 02:34 PM
Hear, hear!

Haven't posted in a bit, but this threat has caught my interest, so I just
had to say something!

3 kids, last one breastfed, wonderful, supportive husband who worked all day
and then came home to cook/clean at night and never bitched, growled or
sulked once about what I was doing, he knew it was the best for the baby, he
got up at night to get the baby and bring him to me when I was too
exhausted. To me, that's the definition of supportive, not someone who
bitches, sulks growls cause miss betty crocker didn't visit the house while
he was gone. "PFT"

Sure, gave up on sleep a bit, showers weren't as often as I would have
liked, didn't always eat when I wanted, and it lasted 4 months, not 4 weeks,
but 4 MONTHS due to nipple compression injury, but I wouldn't trade any of
it. The more I read about what it will do for him (outside of this
newsgroup, unbiased articles) the more I think how could I have ever denied
him that for his life. Who would intentially cause increases for health
problems for their child? Key word being intentionally, for some, there are
real issues (not these cry-baby ones) that I will forever be thankful they
have something to feed their child when they cannot.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bf all 3 kids, but listening to
someone cop out, just makes me sorry for someone like that. Sorry, guess
I'm strong willed in that whatever it takes to do the best for my kids, I
will have. Afterall, they are babies for such a short time, and all too
soon I'll be wishing I could cure his owies, his tiredness and his cuddles
with a slow rock in a rocking chair and a nurse/cuddle session. All too
soon they will be grown and gone, I will have all the time in the world to
cook/clean/cater to a whiny self absorbed husband (if that was what my DH
was that is) Because as we can all attest to, <start sarcasm> they nurse
right until University. <end sarcasm>

PFT, good riddance to cop outs, whiny, self absorbed people... blah

"Michelle Podnar" > wrote in message

> I think that she just wanted someone else to tell her to quit. I don't
> think that she really wanted the help. A lot of us have gone through 6
> weeks of hell (I know I did), with painful latches, round the clock
nursing
> etc...., but I was always told to get to at least 6 weeks before I make a
> decision to BF or not to, because it takes that long to get it to a point
> where it is mutually enjoyable for both. I am glad that I did stick it
out,
> and I am still nursing my 17 mos DD now (which I never imagined I would
be).

> It is hard when you pour all kinds of thought into advice and it is just
> brushed off, and not even utilized, and now we are the bad ones because we
> are so pro BF??
>

> --
> Michelle P
> Ava Marie July 14, 2002
> "Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
> > > I want to stop.
> > *ouch*
> >
> > I assumed you came to this newsgroup because you wanted to breastfeed, I
> > thought and tried to offer advice, I also try to think about other
peoples
> > feelings, you didn't have to reply to my post, instead you post a one
> > sentence brush off reply that I found hurtful and for some reason really
> > upset me. I don't know why I bother.

I've
> had

> either

> of
> and
> making

> unlatch
> feed

> normal
> events
> the

> > -----------
> > Anne Rogers

Cheryl S.
December 13th 03, 04:10 PM
> its been done for so long because most people
> have practice with their first born. My DD was
> bottle fed,

Oh that is just about the lamest thing I've heard yet. I had some
sympathy for your original post but the more you've said in this thread
the less sympathy I've had and this is just the last straw. Now if you
have a third, will you not bf that one, because you didn't get two kids'
worth of practice? I have just had my second baby too so I know darn
well how things are. I bf'd my first for 14 months and I don't think it
made a bit of difference in how much difficulty I've had this time. My
second had a heck of a growth spurt his second and third weeks and that
is probably what caused your baby to nurse a lot too. Your baby
probably would already be spending less time eating now even if you had
continued bf'ing. It's not necessarily because of going to formula,
though that might have made a couple days' difference since he didn't
have to work for the increase in food availability.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.
And Jaden, 3 months

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Denise
December 13th 03, 04:25 PM
"Clisby" > wrote in message

> Michelle Podnar wrote:
> > Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding support
> > group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just
your
> > scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be
upside
> > down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!
> >

> Here, it has only been 22 months!
>
> Clisby
> (motto: If you think the house is messy, honey, the broom's in the
closet.)

That's a great motto! I think I'll use it when my MIL comes to visit next
week.

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 07:43 PM
"Emily Roysdon" > wrote in message
. com...
> K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:
> > its been done for so long because most people have practice with their
first
> > born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
> > occupied because of large breasts.
>
> Perhaps yours are larger than my F cups. Nearly everything is harder
> once you have a second child, so the practice one has with a first born
> is largely irrelevant; I actually had a harder time nursing my second
> than my first, as he was the pro, not me. Had you even tried a sling?
> I can't imagine parenting, period, without an infant in the sling,
> because they still need a lot of holding and physical contact. Unless
> formula negates the need for that?

My DD HATES the sling, as did my son. She tolerates it only when nursing.
She is more interested in smiling and cooing in a conversational way than in
hugs and smooshy closeness. Each set of mom and baby is different, I think.
My DD likes nursing for the fun of it more than I remember DS doing.

> In any case, people have succeeded (in lieu of actual supply problems,
> in which case a wet nurse was located) for millenia because they did
> what they had to do. Feeding the baby wasn't something they could feel
> free to "hate" and then discard; it meant life or death, and some of us
> believe it still does. In this modern age, however, people see formula
> as a parenting "choice" and they react accordingly.

It is a parenting choice. It is available. And to say it is a matter of life
and death is an idea I have a hard time with. How many folks who talk about
superior and inferior food never bring their children to McFood? Or allow
halloween candy? *I* eat inferior food all the time. Once upon a time,
formula was horrendous stuff, mostly corn syrup. And while it certainly is
not breastmilk by any stretch, it is pretty good stuff.

The other thing about what was done for millenia before formula, babies died
of malnutrician all the time.

> Having choices allows people to pick an inferior one.

Woops. I jumed the gun on the inferior food argument. :)

> Most of us here
> didn't make that choice, and so we did what had to be done for our
> babies, knowing how important breastmilk is for babies and that formula
> feeding causes real harm.

What real harm does formula feeding do? I have never heard of real harm
being associated with formula.

> If that's not one's mindset, then I guess the
> choice is easier, but the reaction you're seeing here is disbelief
> because most of us cannot imagine formula feeding by choice, knowing
> what we know about breastmilk.

I can easily imagine formula feeding by choice. I see some folks like
Ipheginia. She could not formula feed. It is such a high priority for her
that it would truly tear her apart, and thus would be horrible for her
child. That would be a real travesty. But for a friend of mine, bonding
could not occur so long as she hated breastfeeding so much. I do not agree,
personally, with the why's of her hating it. But she did. How can you bond
with a baby you resent?

> We've also accepted that parenting means
> sacrifice, at times, and that a baby is involved, it's the adults who
> sacrifice. Breastmilk's benefits are just too important, and
long-lasting.

> > no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry
from
> > 200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify
for
> > government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too
much
> > and that puts us just above the marker.
>
> $10 a month? I always thought it was $10+ a can. And that's if the baby
> does "okay" on standard formula.
>

> Emily

Stephanie and Tim
December 13th 03, 07:44 PM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> "Clisby" > wrote in message
> >

> > Michelle Podnar wrote:
> > > Then say goodbye, leave it at that and go find a formula feeding
support
> > > group. Breastfeeding was not the cause of your problems, it is just
> your
> > > scapegoat. Who has a baby #2, and doesn't expect their house to be
> upside
> > > down for a while ....it has only been 4 WEEKS!!
> > >

> > Here, it has only been 22 months!
> >
> > Clisby
> > (motto: If you think the house is messy, honey, the broom's in the
> closet.)
> >

> That's a great motto! I think I'll use it when my MIL comes to visit next
> week.

Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is still
invited over??????

Emily Roysdon
December 13th 03, 08:57 PM
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> My DD HATES the sling, as did my son. She tolerates it only when nursing.
> She is more interested in smiling and cooing in a conversational way than in
> hugs and smooshy closeness. Each set of mom and baby is different, I think.
> My DD likes nursing for the fun of it more than I remember DS doing.

My daughter didn't like it at first. She got used to it. I'm not
saying that every baby is going to love the sling, but it was something
the OP could have tried, to meet the baby's need to be held and nursed
frequently, and have a free hand(s) for the older child. For a baby who
wants to be held all the time, even when not nursing, I don't see how
formula feeding is going to lessen *that* problem.

<snip>
>>believe it still does. In this modern age, however, people see formula
>>as a parenting "choice" and they react accordingly.
>>
> It is a parenting choice. It is available. And to say it is a matter of life
> and death is an idea I have a hard time with. How many folks who talk about
> superior and inferior food never bring their children to McFood? Or allow
> halloween candy? *I* eat inferior food all the time. Once upon a time,
> formula was horrendous stuff, mostly corn syrup. And while it certainly is
> not breastmilk by any stretch, it is pretty good stuff.

We don't eat at McDonald's and we skipped Halloween this year (my kids
only like chocolate and not hard candies), but I see your point. Of
course formula is better than no food at all, but it doesn't compare to
breastmilk. How many of us let our kids have candy or McFood every day,
for every meal?

> The other thing about what was done for millenia before formula, babies died
> of malnutrician all the time.

Formula was created for those situations when breastmilk was not
available and a baby would otherwise die. It does not mean that
breastmilk can and should be withheld from a child just because formula
is out there. Like there are vitamins out there in pill form, but that
doesn't mean I should never offer my children fruits and vegetables.

>>Having choices allows people to pick an inferior one.
>
> Woops. I jumed the gun on the inferior food argument. :)

Heh. You see my point then?

>> Most of us here
>>didn't make that choice, and so we did what had to be done for our
>>babies, knowing how important breastmilk is for babies and that formula
>>feeding causes real harm.
>

> What real harm does formula feeding do? I have never heard of real harm
> being associated with formula.

Really? http://www.promom.org/101/index.html. And then there's the
issue of formula being contaminated, or incorrectly prepared, before or
after you buy it. That recent horror story of formula with inadequate
vitamins in Israel (leading to brain damage and death of infants) is
very real harm. I can't imagine the guilt I would feel if I formula fed
by choice and my child died because of it.

> I can easily imagine formula feeding by choice. I see some folks like
> Ipheginia. She could not formula feed. It is such a high priority for her
> that it would truly tear her apart, and thus would be horrible for her
> child. That would be a real travesty. But for a friend of mine, bonding
> could not occur so long as she hated breastfeeding so much. I do not agree,
> personally, with the why's of her hating it. But she did. How can you bond
> with a baby you resent?

I think people need to get over themselves, frankly, or seek counseling
and treatment. I know that sounds harsh, but parenting is about doing
the best thing for your child, even if it's not what you want to do, and
if there's that intensity of feeling, professional help is needed. I
think *all* of us would scoff if someone said they resented diaper
changes to the point where they couldn't bond with their baby, yet
somehow breastfeeding is something disposable and optional? I guess it
all comes down to mindset and "choices"...there is no choice not to do
diaper changes (yes, Dawn, I know all about elimination communication
;-), and there is a perceived choice to not breastfeed.

I guess I'm the sort of person who always needs to know the facts, and I
can't un-know what I know. So, once I learned about breastmilk, there
was no going back. I could not willingly deprive my children of their
birthright if there was any choice in the matter, and I don't understand
how other people could. But then I don't understand a lot of the
choices other people make.

Emily

Dawn Lawson
December 13th 03, 09:58 PM
Emily Roysdon wrote:

> Stephanie and Tim wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>>> believe it still does. In this modern age, however, people see formula
>>> as a parenting "choice" and they react accordingly.
>>>
>> It is a parenting choice. It is available. And to say it is a matter
>> of life
>> and death is an idea I have a hard time with. How many folks who talk
>> about
>> superior and inferior food never bring their children to McFood? Or allow
>> halloween candy? *I* eat inferior food all the time.

*I* would never and do not ever go to McDonalds, nor most other fast
food places. For that matter, I rarely eat in a restarant due to food
quality and cost. Halloween bothers me on many levels. And perhaps if
*you* eat inferior food all the time, then feeding formula doesn't
bother you so much, but it bothers me a great deal.

>> What real harm does formula feeding do? I have never heard of real harm
>> being associated with formula.
>

> Really? http://www.promom.org/101/index.html. And then there's the
> issue of formula being contaminated, or incorrectly prepared, before or
> after you buy it.

Yup, formula recalls are not uncommon.

> I think people need to get over themselves, frankly, or seek counseling
> and treatment. I know that sounds harsh, but parenting is about doing
> the best thing for your child, even if it's not what you want to do, and
> if there's that intensity of feeling, professional help is needed. I
> think *all* of us would scoff if someone said they resented diaper
> changes to the point where they couldn't bond with their baby, yet
> somehow breastfeeding is something disposable and optional?

Basically I agree with all this.

I guess it
> all comes down to mindset and "choices"...there is no choice not to do
> diaper changes (yes, Dawn, I know all about elimination communication
> ;-),

Hey, for one, I don't really do EC, and for two, that doesn't exclude me
from maintaining my son in hygienic conditions, which is all any of the
options are about. Just cause I chose to change fewer dirty diapers
doesn't mean I think adequately changed babies are neglected....though I
do not understand the extreme reluctance to do anything OTHER than use
diapers... ;-)

and there is a perceived choice to not breastfeed.

> I guess I'm the sort of person who always needs to know the facts, and I
> can't un-know what I know. So, once I learned about breastmilk, there
> was no going back. I could not willingly deprive my children of their
> birthright if there was any choice in the matter, and I don't understand
> how other people could. But then I don't understand a lot of the
> choices other people make.

Amen to that.

Dawn

Denise
December 14th 03, 01:06 AM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Denise" > wrote in message

> support
> > your
> > upside
> > > >

> > > Here, it has only been 22 months!
> > >
> > > Clisby
> > > (motto: If you think the house is messy, honey, the broom's in the
> > closet.)
> > >

> > That's a great motto! I think I'll use it when my MIL comes to visit
next
> > week.
> >

> Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is
still
> invited over??????

Who said she was invited?!? :) She just comes. And yes. I never do
enough. I work, I have 3 kids. My house is never clean enough. I never
cook enough home cooked meals. My kids never wear the right clothes, ok,
they never wear socks. She bought my DD socks for her bday because she
thought we didn't have any. No, she hates them. Its socks, for God's sake!
Oops.. I'm ranting.

Beth
December 14th 03, 02:13 AM
"Plissken" > wrote in message

> "badgirl" > wrote in message
>
> <snip> glass titties

Reminds me of a term we use in amateur radio about a person who sends Morse
code poorly: "glass arm." Apparently she sends milk poorly.

Beth

Tine Andersen
December 14th 03, 07:40 AM
"Stephanie and Tim" > skrev i en
meddelelse ...

> Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is
still
> invited over??????

She said 'comes over'. She didn't say: 'is invited'. It does make a
difference :-)

Tine, Denmark

Tine Andersen
December 14th 03, 07:44 AM
"Emily Roysdon" > skrev i en meddelelse
. com...
> Formula was created for those situations when breastmilk was not
> available and a baby would otherwise die. It does not mean that
> breastmilk can and should be withheld from a child just because formula
> is out there. Like there are vitamins out there in pill form, but that
> doesn't mean I should never offer my children fruits and vegetables.

I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
same thing went for formula.

Tine, Denmark

Stephanie and Tim
December 14th 03, 01:01 PM

> Emily Roysdon wrote:
>
> > Stephanie and Tim wrote:
> >

> > <snip>

> >> It is a parenting choice. It is available. And to say it is a matter
> >> of life
> >> and death is an idea I have a hard time with. How many folks who talk
> >> about
> >> superior and inferior food never bring their children to McFood? Or
allow
> >> halloween candy? *I* eat inferior food all the time.
>
> *I* would never and do not ever go to McDonalds, nor most other fast
> food places. For that matter, I rarely eat in a restarant due to food
> quality and cost. Halloween bothers me on many levels. And perhaps if
> *you* eat inferior food all the time, then feeding formula doesn't
> bother you so much, but it bothers me a great deal.

No sarcasm here AT ALL. In my opinion, YOU Have an absolute right to speak
about inferior food. Sounds like you walk the walk and not just talk the
talk. Want to come over my house for a couple of weeks and pound some new
habits into my fam?

> >> What real harm does formula feeding do? I have never heard of real harm
> >> being associated with formula.
> >

> > Really? http://www.promom.org/101/index.html. And then there's the
> > issue of formula being contaminated, or incorrectly prepared, before or
> > after you buy it.
>
> Yup, formula recalls are not uncommon.
>

> > I think people need to get over themselves, frankly, or seek counseling
> > and treatment. I know that sounds harsh, but parenting is about doing
> > the best thing for your child, even if it's not what you want to do, and
> > if there's that intensity of feeling, professional help is needed. I
> > think *all* of us would scoff if someone said they resented diaper
> > changes to the point where they couldn't bond with their baby, yet
> > somehow breastfeeding is something disposable and optional?
>
> Basically I agree with all this.
>
> I guess it
> > all comes down to mindset and "choices"...there is no choice not to do
> > diaper changes (yes, Dawn, I know all about elimination communication
> > ;-),
>
> Hey, for one, I don't really do EC, and for two, that doesn't exclude me
> from maintaining my son in hygienic conditions, which is all any of the
> options are about. Just cause I chose to change fewer dirty diapers
> doesn't mean I think adequately changed babies are neglected....though I
> do not understand the extreme reluctance to do anything OTHER than use
> diapers... ;-)
>
> and there is a perceived choice to not breastfeed.

I am not sure what is meant by "perceived choice" or to say that forumula
feeding is not a choice? What does that *mean*? We should legislate or
something? I mean, maybe I am a cynic, but it seems to me that we all make
dumb choices, some people just chose that one. And it seems to me to be
benign compared some other wacked choices. A friend of my sister, who seemed
otherwise to be a normal human being, never strapped her child in her
carseat from birth. You cannot MAKE a parent make the choices that you
would make, even when you KNOW you are right. And from where I sit, I would
not want to.

> > I guess I'm the sort of person who always needs to know the facts, and I
> > can't un-know what I know. So, once I learned about breastmilk, there
> > was no going back. I could not willingly deprive my children of their
> > birthright if there was any choice in the matter, and I don't understand
> > how other people could. But then I don't understand a lot of the
> > choices other people make.
>
> Amen to that.
>

> Dawn

Stephanie and Tim
December 14th 03, 01:03 PM
"Tine Andersen" > wrote in message
k...

> "Emily Roysdon" > skrev i en meddelelse
> . com...
> > Formula was created for those situations when breastmilk was not
> > available and a baby would otherwise die. It does not mean that
> > breastmilk can and should be withheld from a child just because formula
> > is out there. Like there are vitamins out there in pill form, but that
> > doesn't mean I should never offer my children fruits and vegetables.
>
> I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't
just
> order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if
the
> same thing went for formula.
>
> Tine, Denmark

No way! Generally speaking, some parents may be stupid, but they are a whole
lot less stupid then legislators are collectively! Any trend toward
legislating parenting would get a BIG thumbs down from me.

donna
December 14th 03, 01:03 PM
"Denise" wrote:

> > Clisby
> > (motto: If you think the house is messy, honey,
> > the broom's in the closet.)
> >

> That's a great motto! I think I'll use it when my MIL
> comes to visit next week.

Or there's my MILs motto, which you could pass along:

messy house; happy kids.

donna
(an occassional lurker, mostly just stopping in to search the archives for advice)

Stephanie and Tim
December 14th 03, 01:04 PM
"Denise" > wrote in message

> "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> > support
> > > your
> > > upside

> > > closet.)
> > > >

> > > That's a great motto! I think I'll use it when my MIL comes to visit
> next
> > > week.
> > >

> > Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is
> still
> > invited over??????
> >

> Who said she was invited?!? :) She just comes. And yes. I never do
> enough. I work, I have 3 kids. My house is never clean enough. I never
> cook enough home cooked meals. My kids never wear the right clothes, ok,
> they never wear socks. She bought my DD socks for her bday because she
> thought we didn't have any. No, she hates them. Its socks, for God's
sake!
> Oops.. I'm ranting.

That woman would not step inside my front door. Send her over here! She can
complain about my place. I'll bet big money my place is messier than your
place! Hey, let's have a contest!

Elizabeth Reid
December 14th 03, 01:38 PM
"Tine Andersen" > wrote in message >...
> "Emily Roysdon" > skrev i en meddelelse
> . com...
> > Formula was created for those situations when breastmilk was not
> > available and a baby would otherwise die. It does not mean that
> > breastmilk can and should be withheld from a child just because formula
> > is out there. Like there are vitamins out there in pill form, but that
> > doesn't mean I should never offer my children fruits and vegetables.
>
> I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
> order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
> same thing went for formula.

I'm going to ask the same question I ask every time someone
says this; under what circumstances would your rules allow it
to be prescribed? I couldn't have gone back to work without
formula, as I was unable to pump very much.

Beth

She's A Goddess
December 14th 03, 04:07 PM
"donna" > wrote in message
om...

> Or there's my MILs motto, which you could pass along:
>
> messy house; happy kids.
>
> donna
> (an occassional lurker, mostly just stopping in to search the archives for
advice)

Now that one I'll borrow! Nice to see you over here, whatcha lookin' for?

Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (27 months) and O. Boy (5 1/2 months)

Clisby
December 14th 03, 05:20 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote:

> no I'm not getting this formula free but 10 bucks a month is a far cry from
> 200 for daycare. When I said subsidy I should have said we don't qualify for
> government subsidy for child care, we make about $200 or something too much
> and that puts us just above the marker.

$10 a month? Surely that's a typo. I formula-fed my first child, born
in 1996, and I paid about $100 a month back then. Granted, I used
Similac instead of a generic, but I'd be surprised if prices had fallen
that much. Or did you mean it's not free, but you get some sort of
subsidy that drops the cost to $10 a month?

Clisby

Clisby
December 14th 03, 05:22 PM
Tine Andersen wrote:
> "Emily Roysdon" > skrev i en meddelelse
> . com...
>
>>Formula was created for those situations when breastmilk was not
>>available and a baby would otherwise die. It does not mean that
>>breastmilk can and should be withheld from a child just because formula
>>is out there. Like there are vitamins out there in pill form, but that
>>doesn't mean I should never offer my children fruits and vegetables.
>

> I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
> order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
> same thing went for formula.
>
> Tine, Denmark

Considering that it's very easy to make formula yourself, I don't see
what possible good this would do.

Clisby

Phoebe & Allyson
December 14th 03, 05:31 PM
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> A friend of my sister, who seemed
> otherwise to be a normal human being, never strapped her child in her
> carseat from birth.

Friend of Ah-mah, who seemed otherwise to be a normal human
being, straps her baby into her carseat, and puts it
(unsecured) on the back seat of the car.

Phoebe :)
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Denise
December 14th 03, 05:36 PM
"Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in message

> "Denise" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Stephanie and Tim" > wrote in
message

> > > support
> just
> be

> > next
> > > >

> > > Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is
> > still
> > > invited over??????
> > >

> > Who said she was invited?!? :) She just comes. And yes. I never do
> > enough. I work, I have 3 kids. My house is never clean enough. I
never
> > cook enough home cooked meals. My kids never wear the right clothes,
ok,
> > they never wear socks. She bought my DD socks for her bday because she
> > thought we didn't have any. No, she hates them. Its socks, for God's
> sake!
> > Oops.. I'm ranting.
> >

> That woman would not step inside my front door. Send her over here! She
can
> complain about my place. I'll bet big money my place is messier than your
> place! Hey, let's have a contest!

Oh, don't tempt me :) My house isn't messy by a long shot. Cluttered, for
sure. There's 5 of us in a 4 bedroom townhouse. And its partially her
fault for having to buy 3 of every toy she sees, dang it!

Naomi Pardue
December 14th 03, 07:34 PM
>Considering that it's very easy to make formula yourself, I don't see
>what possible good this would do.

Right, and since homebrew formula is a worse option than commercial, it
wouldnt' help matters at all. (Also, many [most?} pediatricians would just
write the necessary scrip for any mother who asked anyway, so all you'd
accomplish would be to greatly increase the cost of the stuff for those without
prescription drug insurance, and make it very cheap (or free) for those with
such coverage.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

KC
December 14th 03, 07:40 PM
"Tine Andersen" > wrote in message >...
> I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
> order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
> same thing went for formula.
>
> Tine, Denmark

I would love to have most things that are already by Rx to be made
available without one. I hate to these controlling laws. I just
don't want to control people.

KC

Irish Marie
December 14th 03, 08:47 PM
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> its been done for so long because most people have practice with their
first
> born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
> occupied because of large breasts.

I'm on my first baby to be breastfed but my 3rd child, my dh works the
weirdest hours and yet I managed to bf to this point (4 months), he was
exclusively bf for 5 wks then some ebm, and then at 15 weeks we started
supplementing with formula.
I don't see why you feel like you need to defend your decisions here, just
leave the ng already, but please don't try to justify any decisions you have
made on the fact that you didn't bf your firstborn.
It is possible to bf with older children and I think that for any lurkers
who are here you are portraying a misleading situation.
And fwiw I am not a bf 'guru', 'expert' 'activist' or 'natural' but it is
possible.......
--
Marie
Mum of 3

Dawn Lawson
December 14th 03, 08:58 PM
KC wrote:
> "Tine Andersen" > wrote in message >...
>
>>I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
>>order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
>>same thing went for formula.
>>
>>Tine, Denmark
>

> I would love to have most things that are already by Rx to be made
> available without one.

What a *great* idea...then people can calculate their own warfarin
doses, or decide when they need a/b and how long they need them (why,
until they feel better, of course! viral illness? SURE!)

And what a great way to reduce the already atrocious overuse of MS
Contin and other narcotics.

Trust me, a few years in a pharmacy setting have pointed out to me that
removing rx status from most things is NOT a Good Idea.

Dawn

Dawn Lawson
December 14th 03, 08:59 PM
Irish Marie wrote:

> "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
>
>>its been done for so long because most people have practice with their
>
> first
>
>>born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
>>occupied because of large breasts.
>>

> I'm on my first baby to be breastfed but my 3rd child, my dh works the
> weirdest hours and yet I managed to bf to this point (4 months), he was
> exclusively bf for 5 wks then some ebm, and then at 15 weeks we started
> supplementing with formula.

And we're VERY proud of you Irish Marie!!! **applause**
You didn't exactly start out as heroic Booby Mum, did you ;-))) but
look at how well you did!!

Dawn

Irish Marie
December 14th 03, 09:27 PM

> Irish Marie wrote:
>
> > "K-K ~Glass Boobs~" > wrote in message
> >
> >>its been done for so long because most people have practice with their
> >
> > first
> >
> >>born. My DD was bottle fed, All I can do is sit or lay with *Both* hands
> >>occupied because of large breasts.
> >>

> > I'm on my first baby to be breastfed but my 3rd child, my dh works the
> > weirdest hours and yet I managed to bf to this point (4 months), he was
> > exclusively bf for 5 wks then some ebm, and then at 15 weeks we started
> > supplementing with formula.
>
> And we're VERY proud of you Irish Marie!!! **applause**
> You didn't exactly start out as heroic Booby Mum, did you ;-))) but
> look at how well you did!!
>
> Dawn

Heh heh thanks Dawn :-)
You would have to laugh at Liam lately, he is doing all in his powers not to
get ff!! He takes minimal amounts during the day and is keeping me up at
night.......he has learnt to like co-sleeping for the majority of the night,
at least until dh gets home from work.
--
Marie
Mum of 3
DD born 03/98, DS1 born 11/99, DS2 born 08/03

KC
December 15th 03, 08:12 AM
Dawn Lawson > wrote in message news:<X94Db.701960$6C4.275218@pd7tw1no>...
> KC wrote:
> > "Tine Andersen" > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>I would love to have it consideres a prescription drug. Here you don't just
> >>order/buy a c-sec. You have it for medical reasons. It would be fine if the
> >>same thing went for formula.
> >>
> >>Tine, Denmark
> >

> > I would love to have most things that are already by Rx to be made
> > available without one.
>
> What a *great* idea...then people can calculate their own warfarin
> doses, or decide when they need a/b and how long they need them (why,
> until they feel better, of course! viral illness? SURE!)

I said *most*. I do believe in controlling a/b for the good of all of
us.

You don't think people with training and test results could calculate
warfarin doses? I guess I give people more credit than you do.

> And what a great way to reduce the already atrocious overuse of MS
> Contin and other narcotics.

I have been in chronic pain and have frequented support groups for
people in chronic pain, so I know that many people in chronic pain
cannot get the narcotics they need because the doctors are afraid to
prescribe them because they are soooo controlled. I would rather some
people overuse narcotics than other people suffer without them.

> Trust me, a few years in a pharmacy setting have pointed out to me that
> removing rx status from most things is NOT a Good Idea.

When I read stuff like that it looks like you think people are idiots.
I know I am capable of taking care of some of my medical needs in a
safe manner, and I give other people credit for being as intelligent
and capable as I am.

It would be interesting to see if there were stats from Mexico where
they do sell most meds without an Rx about how many people were
injured from their meds as opposed to other countries where doctors
have more prescription power. I bet it might be a wash because the
patient errors are probably no more than the doctor errors. I know my
doctor when I was pg with Jessi accidentally wrote me an Rx for
Aldactone rather than Aldomet. Luckily I knew what I needed and
corrected him.

KC
We, not doctors, have to live with the results of medical care
performed on us, so we better be proactive about it.

Bruce and Jeanne
December 15th 03, 12:59 PM
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> Lordy! Does your MIL make comments about your housekeeping? And she is still
> invited over??????

My mother once made the comment that DH must feel he's not loved because
I had dirty floors. After I laughed, even she admitted that sounded
goofy.

Jeanne

Dawn Lawson
December 15th 03, 05:37 PM
KC wrote:
> Dawn Lawson > wrote in message news:<X94Db.701960$6C4.275218@pd7tw1no>...
>

>>>I would love to have most things that are already by Rx to be made
>>>available without one.
>>
>>What a *great* idea...then people can calculate their own warfarin
>>doses, or decide when they need a/b and how long they need them (why,
>>until they feel better, of course! viral illness? SURE!)
>

> I said *most*. I do believe in controlling a/b for the good of all of
> us.

But not other meds, for the good of the people taking them???

> You don't think people with training and test results could calculate
> warfarin doses? I guess I give people more credit than you do.

Ah, that could be because I have WORKED with the people you are
suggesting are capable of doing this sort of thing, and the idea borders
on laughable. There ARE a few people who with training and access to
results could try to calculate dosages and then calculate how much of
which pills to take, but I wouldn't say it was a high likelihood for a
good proportion of the customers I've seen over the years.

>>Trust me, a few years in a pharmacy setting have pointed out to me that
>>removing rx status from most things is NOT a Good Idea.
>

> When I read stuff like that it looks like you think people are idiots.

I know what level of ability the average customer I've dealt with has
got. I know that pharmacists pass on a LOT of information about drug
combinations and side effects and such that the average person would NOT
have at their fingertips, even if they did manage not to kill themselves
with dosing errors.

> It would be interesting to see if there were stats from Mexico where
> they do sell most meds without an Rx about how many people were
> injured from their meds as opposed to other countries where doctors
> have more prescription power.

It seems to me that Mexico is one of the places were a/b overuse and
abuse is a problem beCAUSE of the lower rx power of drs. No,
correction....because of the easier access to drugs that the pop'n in
general does NOT understand how or when to use properly.

I bet it might be a wash because the
> patient errors are probably no more than the doctor errors. I know my
> doctor when I was pg with Jessi accidentally wrote me an Rx for
> Aldactone rather than Aldomet. Luckily I knew what I needed and
> corrected him.

I KNOW there are a great deal of patient errors, and I rarely see dr
errors, and fewer that got past the pharmacist's training. Could be
just that I was in daily contact with both population subsets.

Dawn

DeliciousTruffles
December 15th 03, 05:47 PM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

> There ARE a few people who with training and access to
> results could try to calculate dosages and then calculate how much of
> which pills to take,

Hi Dawn! :-D

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Dawn Lawson
December 15th 03, 06:34 PM
DeliciousTruffles wrote:

> Dawn Lawson wrote:
>
>> There ARE a few people who with training and access to results could
>> try to calculate dosages and then calculate how much of which pills to
>> take,
>

> Hi Dawn! :-D

Yup, exactly. But you'd be amazed what I have actually SEEN people do,
even with the simplest of instructions, and even with OTC medications.
I didn't post the losec information here for a *reason* :-)
Dawn

Stephanie and Tim
December 15th 03, 06:41 PM
"Phoebe & Allyson" > wrote in message
> Stephanie and Tim wrote:
>
> > A friend of my sister, who seemed
> > otherwise to be a normal human being, never strapped her child in her
> > carseat from birth.
>
> Friend of Ah-mah, who seemed otherwise to be a normal human
> being, straps her baby into her carseat, and puts it
> (unsecured) on the back seat of the car.
>
> Phoebe :)
> --
> yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Wild isn't it. I can imagine what was in the mind of the mom who never
bothered with the car seat at all, though I think she is insane. But what
could have been in the mind of the mom who just plunked the car seat in the
back seat? That is too weird.

DeliciousTruffles
December 15th 03, 06:42 PM
Dawn Lawson wrote:

> But you'd be amazed what I have actually SEEN people do,
> even with the simplest of instructions, and even with OTC medications.

I think there is a common perception that OTC drugs, herbs, vitamins,
and minerals are relatively innocuous. My mother was taking a
combination of Ginseng, Garlic, Low-Dose Aspirin, and a couple of other
vitamins/minerals. I did a check and it turned out that the combination
of Ginseng, Garlic, and LDA was a No-No. There was no way her a
pharmacist would have known she was taking this combination unless she
specifically asked.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Dawn Lawson
December 15th 03, 07:15 PM
DeliciousTruffles wrote:
> Dawn Lawson wrote:
>
>> But you'd be amazed what I have actually SEEN people do, even with the
>> simplest of instructions, and even with OTC medications.
>

> I think there is a common perception that OTC drugs, herbs, vitamins,
> and minerals are relatively innocuous.

Heck, there's a common perception that rx drugs are relatively
innocuous, judging from things I've seen and heard.
And just because someone is managing an rx'd drug with a set dosage etc
appropriately, doesn't mean that they would cope with a "no holds
barred" lasse faire system well AT all.

> There was no way her a
> pharmacist would have known she was taking this combination unless she
> specifically asked.

i've worked with exceptional pharmacists who DO ask about OTC products
and other medications routinely. (And who aren't adverse to learning
about "alternate" products like ginseng, etc)

Dawn

Denise
December 15th 03, 07:50 PM

> DeliciousTruffles wrote:
> > Dawn Lawson wrote:
> >
> >> But you'd be amazed what I have actually SEEN people do, even with the
> >> simplest of instructions, and even with OTC medications.
> >

> > I think there is a common perception that OTC drugs, herbs, vitamins,
> > and minerals are relatively innocuous.
>

> Heck, there's a common perception that rx drugs are relatively
> innocuous, judging from things I've seen and heard.
> And just because someone is managing an rx'd drug with a set dosage etc
> appropriately, doesn't mean that they would cope with a "no holds
> barred" lasse faire system well AT all.
>

> > There was no way her a
> > pharmacist would have known she was taking this combination unless she
> > specifically asked.
> >

> i've worked with exceptional pharmacists who DO ask about OTC products
> and other medications routinely. (And who aren't adverse to learning
> about "alternate" products like ginseng, etc)
>
> Dawn

Our pharmacist at Rite Aid is very open to alternative medicine, so I always
make it a point to ask her about interactions with herbs and such. She's
awesome :) I don't doubt people don't think to tell them about the herms
and stuff they're on. My MIL thinks its no big deal to be taking St John's
Wort and a host of other stuff, then have her dr prescribe antidepressants
on top of that.

donna
December 17th 03, 01:27 AM
"She's A Goddess" wrote:

> > Or there's my MILs motto, which you could pass along:
> >
> > messy house; happy kids.
> >
> > donna
> > (an occassional lurker, mostly just stopping in to search the archives for
> advice)
>
> Now that one I'll borrow! Nice to see you over here, whatcha lookin' for?

Help for plugged ducts. Bleh. (But found the help, thank you archives! ;)

donna