PDA

View Full Version : Menses so soon after birth?

December 12th 03, 09:59 AM
I am depressed. It appears I am gettting menses one month after birth. I
am breastfeeding and my supply is good. Last pregnancy I had a break from
menses for 3 months with the BF, why this time am I getting it so soon!!! I
thought when you BF, it is delayed.

Thanks

Naomi Pardue
December 12th 03, 12:59 PM
>I am depressed. It appears I am gettting menses one month after birth. I
>am breastfeeding and my supply is good.

Are you sure it's a period? Could you be having a recurrance of lochia? (It
isn't uncommon to be still bleeding form the birth for 4-6 weeks or more. Even
if you'd already stopped for a while, it can start again, especially if you're
really active.)

It may also be a situation that some women experience, where they have what
appears to be a period at around 6 weeks post-partum, and then don't bleed
again for many months more.
It would really be VERY unusual (though certainly not impossible) for you to
have a period a month after giving birth, especially if you are breastfeeding.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

DGoree
December 12th 03, 01:40 PM
(Naomi Pardue) wrote,

<<It may also be a situation that some women experience, where they have what
appears to be a period at around 6 weeks post-partum, and then don't bleed
again for many months more. >>

This is *exactly* what happened with me after all three births. Lochia for
about four weeks, then a sort of "pseudo-period" at about six weeks, and then
nothing at all for a long time. My period actually came back at 16 months
after Will, 20 months after Matthew, 17 months after Margaret.

Mary Ellen
William (8)
Matthew (6)
Margaret (2)

Ty
December 12th 03, 02:02 PM
It could be lochia, sometimes you have an episode of bleeding before it
stops totally and it seems like a period, especially w hen you'd stopped
bleeding.
Marie

T wrote in message ...
>I am depressed. It appears I am gettting menses one month after birth. I
>am breastfeeding and my supply is good. Last pregnancy I had a break from
>menses for 3 months with the BF, why this time am I getting it so soon!!!
>thought when you BF, it is delayed.
>
>Thanks

Nevermind
December 12th 03, 04:30 PM
"T" > wrote in message >...
> I am depressed. It appears I am gettting menses one month after birth. I
> am breastfeeding and my supply is good. Last pregnancy I had a break from
> menses for 3 months with the BF, why this time am I getting it so soon!!! I
> thought when you BF, it is delayed.

Are you sure it isnt just increased lochia? That can get lighter and
heavier for a while before disappearing entirely.

Cathy Weeks
December 17th 03, 10:44 PM
(DGoree) wrote in message >...
> (Naomi Pardue) wrote,
>
> <<It may also be a situation that some women experience, where they have what
> appears to be a period at around 6 weeks post-partum, and then don't bleed
> again for many months more. >>
>
> This is *exactly* what happened with me after all three births. Lochia for
> about four weeks, then a sort of "pseudo-period" at about six weeks, and then
> nothing at all for a long time. My period actually came back at 16 months
> after Will, 20 months after Matthew, 17 months after Margaret.

Me too. I had a pseudo period at about 8 weeks - just some spotting
really, and only one other spotting - a few weeks ago (and my daughter
just turned two)

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01