PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on baby gate for extra wide doorway

Erin Candell
July 17th 03, 02:49 AM
My 13-month old has started crawling and cruising like crazy and the time
has come to baby-proof our living room. However, the doorway that separates
the living room from the kitchen is 71" wide, and I haven't been able to
find a baby gate yet that will fit an opening that large - the largest I
have found so far is 60". Does anybody have any suggestions?

Marty Billingsley
July 17th 03, 04:01 AM
In article <qgnRa.67350$GL4.17303@rwcrnsc53>,
Erin Candell > wrote:
>My 13-month old has started crawling and cruising like crazy and the time
>has come to baby-proof our living room. However, the doorway that separates
>the living room from the kitchen is 71" wide, and I haven't been able to
>find a baby gate yet that will fit an opening that large - the largest I
>have found so far is 60". Does anybody have any suggestions?

KidCo E'longate: "KidCo E'longate is a wall mounted gate with a door on
the end. White metal construction, a very clean look.. with 4 extensions
it reaches 13 feet (the maximum recommended by KidCo)."

Found it at SafetyMatters.com (http://safetymatters.com/bigimage.cfm?sku=44)
but you may be able to find it closer to you (and save on shipping).

I've got one of these across a 6'+ doorway -- it has worked well and withstood
much abuse from my children.

- marty
(mom to Andie & Alex, 2.5)

Sara
July 17th 03, 11:48 AM
Marty Billingsley wrote:

> In article <qgnRa.67350$GL4.17303@rwcrnsc53>,
> Erin Candell > wrote:
> >My 13-month old has started crawling and cruising like crazy and the time
> >has come to baby-proof our living room. However, the doorway that separates
> >the living room from the kitchen is 71" wide, and I haven't been able to
> >find a baby gate yet that will fit an opening that large - the largest I
> >have found so far is 60". Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> KidCo E'longate: "KidCo E'longate is a wall mounted gate with a door on
> the end. White metal construction, a very clean look.. with 4 extensions
> it reaches 13 feet (the maximum recommended by KidCo)."
>
> Found it at SafetyMatters.com (http://safetymatters.com/bigimage.cfm?sku=44)
> but you may be able to find it closer to you (and save on shipping).

I know onestepahead.com carries very long gates, as well.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

<< I check this e-mail account infrequently >>

Astromum
July 17th 03, 02:56 PM
Erin Candell wrote:
> My 13-month old has started crawling and cruising like crazy and the time
> has come to baby-proof our living room. However, the doorway that separates
> the living room from the kitchen is 71" wide, and I haven't been able to
> find a baby gate yet that will fit an opening that large - the largest I
> have found so far is 60". Does anybody have any suggestions?

We had exactly that problem, but in our case it involved a wall on one side.
If you have that too, here's our solution. We bought the 60" fence and put
a bookcase against the wall. It comes forward about 12", just enough to
be the closing part of the fence. The fence looks a bit wobbly, but so far
DS has tried every trick and it is still standing firm.

As an alternative, if you don't have a wall but just a plain doorway, you
could put a bookcase in the livingroom and let it extend into the doorway
just enough to close the fence. If you're talking about the Evenflo fence,
you can just leave it attached to the bookcase when it is open, so you
won't bump into it. Do you get the picture? It's a bit hard to explain
in just words...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Mary Gordon
July 17th 03, 11:37 PM
Have you looked this one? KidCo Configure Gate

http://www.kidsurplus.com/kcog80.html
(I gave this URL just because the price looked a bit better than
elsewhere, but you can get extra panels for it if this isn't long
enough.

Mary G.