PDA

View Full Version : Re: Recent Research of Interest (Long!)

Linz
April 5th 04, 01:37 PM
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:22:32 +1000, Chookie
> wrote:

>Introduction of food during the infant's first year: a study with emphasis on
>introduction of gluten and of egg, fish and peanut in allergy-risk families
>Acta Paediatrica April 2004, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 464-470(7)
>Odijk J.v.; Hulthén L.; Ahlstedt S.; Borres M.
>
>Abstract:
>Aim: The aim of the current study was to retrospectively examine introduction
>of food during the first year in a representative sample of Swedish children.
>A secondary aim was to study how parents with history of atopy introduced food
>to their infants. Methods: Data derive from 467 infants who visited child
>health centres in three different counties in Sweden for health check-up at 12
>mo of age. The parents were asked to fill in a questionnaire about
>breastfeeding and/or formula feeding, time of introduction of weaning food
>focusing on cow's milk, follow-on formula, porridge, fish and egg. Questions
>regarding hypersensitivity in the family, peanut consumption of mother as well
>as in the child, and questions about number of siblings, ethnic background and
>parental education were included. Results: Compliance with suggested
>introduction of gluten-containing food was low; as many as 45% had avoided
>gluten until 6 mo of age, instead of introducing gluten between 4 and 6 mo.
>Only 33% of parents with stated family hypersensitivity avoided giving their
>child fish and 23% avoided egg during the first year, even though this
>recommendation was present at the time of the study. Almost 50% of all mothers
>had avoided peanuts during pregnancy even though there was no such advice. The
>avoidance of peanut was not connected to hypersensitivity in the family.
>
>Conclusion: These results suggest that time of introduction of gluten was not
>in accordance with the current recommendation. The results imply that there is
>a need to follow up if and how this feeding information is distributed to
>parents with infants and also to sharpen the information to the right target
>groups, otherwise implementation of preventive strategies will be less useful.

Well, I found this interesting (I found them all interesting, thanks
for posting it!). The WHO advises exclusive breastfeeding till 6
months, which would tie in with avoiding gluten until at least 6
months!
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 17lbs

Phoebe Roberts, EA
April 5th 04, 04:48 PM
Chookie wrote:

> Results: Compliance with suggested
> introduction of gluten-containing food was low; as many as 45% had avoided
> gluten until 6 mo of age, instead of introducing gluten between 4 and 6 mo.

Since the WHO recommends no solids before 6 months, and the "allergic
baby" sequence (and the study babies were allergic babies) says
gluten-containing grains are 9-month-old foods, I don't see failure to
comply with the study suggestion as such a bad thing. :)

Phoebe :)

Larry McMahan
April 7th 04, 11:25 PM
I have also read studies that said specifically in regard to gluten
that it is important to continue breast milk for at lease 3 to 4
months after introducing gluten to avoid problems

Larry

: > wrote:

:>Introduction of food during the infant's first year: a study with emphasis on
:>introduction of gluten and of egg, fish and peanut in allergy-risk families
:>Acta Paediatrica April 2004, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 464-470(7)
:>Odijk J.v.; Hulthén L.; Ahlstedt S.; Borres M.
:>
[...]

: --
: Linz
: YB: 5 months, 17lbs