PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to wean

badgirl
April 7th 04, 02:22 PM
Why is it that every time there is a problem or I have a complaint
peoples first reaction is *wean him, he's old enough anyway* or *when
you gonna wean that kid?*
I get frustrated sometimes because he pinches or he wants to play back
and forth or I just don't want him hanging on me...whatever, it
doesn't matter. Most times I enjoy nursing, but there are some times
when I'd just rather not deal with it. Being a SAHM we never really
got a schedule together because there was no need for it. I couldn't
tell you how many times Nicolas nurses every day...I never bother to
count. My point is, he is almost 2 years old and everyone (except here
on the board) thinks he should be done by now. Phooey! He'll be done
when he's damn good and ready, but that doesn't mean it can't get on
my nerves sometimes and it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it ALL the
time.

--
Jen,

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chgo_badgirl

Proud SAHM to Steven 7/24/89, Stephanie 6/5/91 and happily BF'ing
Nicolas 5/21/02
Mother is the word for God on the lips and in the hearts of all
children

Elana Kehoe
April 7th 04, 06:10 PM
badgirl > wrote:

> Phooey! He'll be done
> when he's damn good and ready, but that doesn't mean it can't get on
> my nerves sometimes and it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it ALL the
> time.

I second that! For us, it's the whole dietary thing as well. But
sometimes in the middle of the night, I feel like saying "Get OFF
me!!!!"

And it's okay. We can feel that. And I'm not gonna wean him for a
while...or, more like he'll wean himself.
--
It's Tis Herself!

CY
April 8th 04, 09:24 AM
I hear you - though I just had an excellent experience at a pediatric
gastroenterologist wrt very subject. I was heartily impressed that she said
to continue nursing (DD's 26 months)...

It's frustrating when every other person exclaims "You're *still* nursing?"
Grrrr. Drives me nuts...
"badgirl" > wrote in message
> Why is it that every time there is a problem or I have a complaint
> peoples first reaction is *wean him, he's old enough anyway* or *when
> you gonna wean that kid?*
> I get frustrated sometimes because he pinches or he wants to play back
> and forth or I just don't want him hanging on me...whatever, it
> doesn't matter. Most times I enjoy nursing, but there are some times
> when I'd just rather not deal with it. Being a SAHM we never really
> got a schedule together because there was no need for it. I couldn't
> tell you how many times Nicolas nurses every day...I never bother to
> count. My point is, he is almost 2 years old and everyone (except here
> on the board) thinks he should be done by now. Phooey! He'll be done
> when he's damn good and ready, but that doesn't mean it can't get on
> my nerves sometimes and it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it ALL the
> time.
>
> --
> Jen,
>
> http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chgo_badgirl
>
> Proud SAHM to Steven 7/24/89, Stephanie 6/5/91 and happily BF'ing
> Nicolas 5/21/02
> Mother is the word for God on the lips and in the hearts of all
> children

Sara
April 8th 04, 02:26 PM
CY wrote:

> It's frustrating when every other person exclaims "You're *still* nursing?"
> Grrrr. Drives me nuts...

Yup. The other babies in my social circle are being weaned, one by
one...

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

badgirl
April 8th 04, 05:48 PM
"Sara" > wrote in message
> CY wrote:
>
> > It's frustrating when every other person exclaims "You're *still*
nursing?"
> > Grrrr. Drives me nuts...
>
> Yup. The other babies in my social circle are being weaned, one by
> one...
>
> --
> Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

See, that's not even it though. I know Nicolas is old enough to wean
(if he wants to) He eats plenty of solids, takes a vitamin every day
and is really healthy even without nursing. But there IMO is still an
emotional need there and who am I to decide it's time he got over it?
The part that bothers me is it's not always a pleasant experience for
me and it would just be nice to be able to make a comment about it to
any one of my *support* without hearing "then wean him"
I mean, hell, almost everyone complains about their job at one time or
another, the gut reaction isn't always "then quit" right? No, it's
usually "yeah, I hear ya, it sucks but we gotta do what we gotta do"
or some such similar comment.

Jen
*tired today*

HollyLewis
April 8th 04, 07:49 PM
>The part that bothers me is it's not always a pleasant experience for
>me and it would just be nice to be able to make a comment about it to
>any one of my *support* without hearing "then wean him"
>I mean, hell, almost everyone complains about their job at one time or
>another, the gut reaction isn't always "then quit" right? No, it's
>usually "yeah, I hear ya, it sucks but we gotta do what we gotta do"
>or some such similar comment.
>
>Jen
>*tired today*

Ya, I know exactly what you mean. That's why this group is so great. :-)
And, of course, any comparable IRL group you might know -- LLL moms or
something.

I wonder what your friends would say if you gave *them* the job example?
Certainly, nursing your child is part of your "job" as a mother, especially if
you're a SAHM.

Or you could just roll your eyes and say something like, "Yeah, right. Like I
need to add THAT stress to my life." I suspect most people just haven't
thought about it, rather than that they really believe that children "should"
be weaned by X age or that weaning is always easier than continuing to nurse,
so the more you educate them, the more support you might get. At any rate I
know this is true among my own IRL friends, though most of them don't have kids
(yet); maybe it's different if you're getting this from other moms.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04

CY
April 10th 04, 09:03 AM
I completely agree with you. My DD is one of the oldest babies I know that
is still nursing. Most of my irl buddies who bf'd their kids have already
weaned or are "so done" with it (a phrase that drives me crazy). It seems
like even bf friendly folks have it in their heads that 2 is the appropriate
age to wean and cannot understand why I am not even taking steps to wean.
Some times it *is* hard, but like you said, what job isn't?

Thanks for putting it into words :o)