PDA

View Full Version : yikes; Pedialyte "substitute"

April 8th 04, 05:14 PM
So I know this very nice woman who wants the best for her daughter,
but is rather uneducated as to what that might be. Her DD is two
months younger than DS, so that makes her about 15 months old.

The mama does a lot of things I wouldn't be terribly comfortable
doing, like feeding her DD Froot Loops and Pez for snacks. She
smokes, which means she ends up smoking around the baby when they are
playing outside and that she goes outside of her house to smoke when
they are at home. And so forth. (Of course, Murphy's Law applies;
she had the perfectly normal spontaneous vaginal delivery I was
planning.)

She initially breastfed for a few weeks and then switched to formula.
When her daughter was about 6 months old, she started to give her
Pedialyte in her bottle routinely. I thought this was a bit odd, but
we *do* live in a desert, and it was reasonable to think the baby
might need a lot to drink since they didn't have a/c in the car and
that she might not like the taste of our tap water (as many local
babies do not; the official recommendation is that you use filtered or
bottled water for formula in a few of the local cities because they've
had so many dehydrated children at the ER). I wrote it off to just
being a different judgment call than the one I would have made.

Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.

<boggle>

--
C, mama to seventeen month old nursling

nina
April 8th 04, 05:55 PM
> wrote in message
m...
> So I know this very nice woman who wants the best for her daughter,
> but is rather uneducated as to what that might be. Her DD is two
> months younger than DS, so that makes her about 15 months old.
>
> The mama does a lot of things I wouldn't be terribly comfortable
> doing, like feeding her DD Froot Loops and Pez for snacks. She
> smokes, which means she ends up smoking around the baby when they are
> playing outside and that she goes outside of her house to smoke when
> they are at home. And so forth. (Of course, Murphy's Law applies;
> she had the perfectly normal spontaneous vaginal delivery I was
> planning.)
>
> She initially breastfed for a few weeks and then switched to formula.
> When her daughter was about 6 months old, she started to give her
> Pedialyte in her bottle routinely. I thought this was a bit odd, but
> we *do* live in a desert, and it was reasonable to think the baby
> might need a lot to drink since they didn't have a/c in the car and
> that she might not like the taste of our tap water (as many local
> babies do not; the official recommendation is that you use filtered or
> bottled water for formula in a few of the local cities because they've
> had so many dehydrated children at the ER). I wrote it off to just
> being a different judgment call than the one I would have made.
>
> Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.
>
> <boggle>

*sigh*
My stepsons gf gave her 5 month old grits and eggs and wondered why he
barfed for hours afterwards.

JennP
April 8th 04, 07:19 PM
> wrote in message
m...

> Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.
>
> <boggle>

That's bizzare.

Just wondering, do people in your area tend to routinely use Pedialyte for
hydration? Her daughter is 15 months, wouldn't water be just as good?
Certainly better than *sno-cone* syrup. Yuck!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Cheryl S.
April 8th 04, 07:27 PM
> wrote in message
m...
> Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD
> sno-cone syrup in the bottle because it was cheaper than
> Pedialyte.
>
> <boggle>

Ho. ly. cow.

<boggle> is right. She brings to mind that saying, "you need a license
to drive, but they'll let anyone be a parent".
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

nina
April 8th 04, 07:31 PM
"JennP" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> m...
>
> > Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> > the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.
> >
> > <boggle>
>
> That's bizzare.
>
> Just wondering, do people in your area tend to routinely use Pedialyte for
> hydration? Her daughter is 15 months, wouldn't water be just as good?

She said the water in that area has a foul taste and its hard to get kids to
drink it.

JennP
April 8th 04, 07:33 PM
"nina" > wrote in message

> She said the water in that area has a foul taste and its hard to get kids
> drink it.

I'd think bottled water would be cheaper than sno-cone syrup, lol!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

nina
April 8th 04, 07:38 PM
"JennP" > wrote in message

> "nina" > wrote in message
>
> > She said the water in that area has a foul taste and its hard to get
kids
> > drink it.
>
> I'd think bottled water would be cheaper than sno-cone syrup, lol!
> --
me too
I think the kid wants something flavored

Irrational Number
April 8th 04, 07:41 PM
wrote:

> Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.

A friend of DH's gave her babies Crystal Lite
lemonade because apple juice was giving them
cavities...

-- Anita --

April 9th 04, 05:20 PM
"JennP" > wrote in message news:<cJgdc.215966$1p.2502208@attbi_s54>...
> > wrote in message
> m...
>
> > Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> > the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.
> >
> > <boggle>
>
> That's bizzare.
>
> Just wondering, do people in your area tend to routinely use Pedialyte for
> hydration? Her daughter is 15 months, wouldn't water be just as good?
> Certainly better than *sno-cone* syrup. Yuck!

Water would be just fine, except she's now used to flavored drinks.
:-(

Oddly, I do know several moms who weaned at a year and then started
using Pedialyte frequently. I'm not sure if that's on the
recommendation of their peds, or if it's just their own initiative, or
if their kids have been recovering from sickness the last few times
I've seen them.

--
C, mama to seventeen month old nursling

Lina
April 9th 04, 08:12 PM
"Irrational Number" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday she told me that she was now giving her DD sno-cone syrup in
> > the bottle because it was cheaper than Pedialyte.
>
> A friend of DH's gave her babies Crystal Lite
> lemonade because apple juice was giving them
> cavities...
>
> -- Anita --

I'd rather Alena get the aspartame than sno-cone syrup, but diluting apple
juice might help with the cavities.

*boggle* at OP post...

H Schinske
April 10th 04, 01:13 AM

>"nina" > wrote in message
>
>> She said the water in that area has a foul taste and its hard to get kids
>> drink it.

Why not filter it?

--Helen

nina
April 10th 04, 01:20 AM
"H Schinske" > wrote in message

> >"nina" > wrote in message
> >
> >> She said the water in that area has a foul taste and its hard to get
kids
> >> drink it.
>
> Why not filter it?
>
> --Helen
Sounds reasonable to ME.
But anyone who would give a baby sno cone syrup is an idiot.

badgirl
April 10th 04, 02:05 AM
"nina" > wrote in message

> kids
> >
> > Why not filter it?
> >
> > --Helen
> Sounds reasonable to ME.
> But anyone who would give a baby sno cone syrup is an idiot.

Agreed....BUT...filtered water only takes *some* of the crap out of
bad water, it don't do a damn thing for the taste though ;(

Jen

Cat
April 10th 04, 10:39 AM
"nina" > skrev i en meddelelse

> kids
> >
> > Why not filter it?
> >
> > --Helen
> Sounds reasonable to ME.
> But anyone who would give a baby sno cone syrup is an idiot.

OK.

Now I have to ask

Dumb Scandinavians, you know.

WHAT IS SNO CONE SYRUP??

My curiosity is killing me :-)

Tine, Denmark

April 10th 04, 12:16 PM
"badgirl" > wrote in message news:<MLHdc.112007$JO3.78807@attbi_s04>...

> to get
> kids
> > >
> > > Why not filter it?
> > >
> > Sounds reasonable to ME.
> > But anyone who would give a baby sno cone syrup is an idiot.
> >
> Agreed....BUT...filtered water only takes *some* of the crap out of
> bad water, it don't do a damn thing for the taste though ;(

We buy the bottle-your-own $0.25/ ga. water (from a storefront
retailer called Water 'N Ice -- are those common outside the
Southwest?) for drinking and baking. That stuff tastes fine, but it
is intensively treated in a way I couldn't reproduce at home without
RO and an ultraviolet light and some other filters. As a baby I
wouldn't drink the water in the city I live in nor formula made from
it and as an adult I'll only drink the stuff if I've no alternative.

DS is perfectly happy with a sippy cup of bottled water and doesn't
seem to like either cow's milk or juice. He does like my unsweetened
Republic of Tea British Breakfast iced tea. I'm hoping I can avoid
giving him sweet drinks for a long time yet.

On that note, my sister's neighbor told her today that she "couldn't
understand those people who only gave their babies water and not
something good like apple juice", so maybe it's more common than I
thought to believe flavored drinks are in some way necessary. To
train the kids for Kool-Aid and Dr. Pepper later, I guess.

--
C, mama to seventeen month old nursling

JennP
April 10th 04, 01:57 PM
> wrote in message
m...

> On that note, my sister's neighbor told her today that she "couldn't
> understand those people who only gave their babies water and not
> something good like apple juice", so maybe it's more common than I
> thought to believe flavored drinks are in some way necessary. To
> train the kids for Kool-Aid and Dr. Pepper later, I guess.

I give Matthew mostly water or milk to drink. Not much juice at all. I think
a few of my freinds think it's unusual but most of them give their kids
water.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Cheryl S.
April 10th 04, 02:06 PM
> wrote in message
m...
> On that note, my sister's neighbor told her today
> that she "couldn't understand those people who
> only gave their babies water and not something
> good like apple juice", so maybe it's more common
> than I thought to believe flavored drinks are in
> some way necessary. To train the kids for
> Kool-Aid and Dr. Pepper later, I guess.

I think many adults don't like to drink water themselves, and project
that dislike onto their baby. They think if they only gave the baby
water to drink they'd be somehow depriving the baby and the baby would
be unhappy, rather than realize if the baby hadn't gotten anything else
he'd almost certainly be perfectly content with water and *enjoy*
drinking it.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

nina
April 10th 04, 02:51 PM
"Cat" > wrote in message
. dk...

> > kids
> > >
> > > Why not filter it?
> > >
> > > --Helen
> > Sounds reasonable to ME.
> > But anyone who would give a baby sno cone syrup is an idiot.
>
> OK.
>
> Now I have to ask
>
> Dumb Scandinavians, you know.
>
> WHAT IS SNO CONE SYRUP??
>
> My curiosity is killing me :-)

A snow cone is a frozen dessert made of shaved ice and placed in a paper
cone holder.
After the scoop of ice is put in the cone, it is covered with flavored
syrup- sno cone syrup.

nina
April 10th 04, 02:54 PM
"Cheryl S." > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> m...
> > On that note, my sister's neighbor told her today
> > that she "couldn't understand those people who
> > only gave their babies water and not something
> > good like apple juice", so maybe it's more common
> > than I thought to believe flavored drinks are in
> > some way necessary. To train the kids for
> > Kool-Aid and Dr. Pepper later, I guess.
>
> I think many adults don't like to drink water themselves, and project
> that dislike onto their baby. They think if they only gave the baby
> water to drink they'd be somehow depriving the baby and the baby would
> be unhappy, rather than realize if the baby hadn't gotten anything else
> he'd almost certainly be perfectly content with water and *enjoy*
> drinking it.

True.
Also, in some areas the water just tastes nasty and NO ONE can tolerate it.
I drink my water with lime juice just so I can get it down. The water in
this part
of the country just tastes icky to me. In Houston its particularly foul. Ugh

Cat
April 10th 04, 02:59 PM
"nina" > skrev i en meddelelse

> "Cat" > wrote in message
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > Now I have to ask
> >
> > Dumb Scandinavians, you know.
> >
> > WHAT IS SNO CONE SYRUP??
> >
> > My curiosity is killing me :-)
> >

> A snow cone is a frozen dessert made of shaved ice and placed in a paper
> cone holder.
> After the scoop of ice is put in the cone, it is covered with flavored
> syrup- sno cone syrup.

Thanks.

Sounds quite chemical to me - like aritificial flavour, sugar, artificial
colour and nothing else?

Tine, Denmark

Cheryl S.
April 10th 04, 03:27 PM
"Cat" > wrote in message
. dk...

> "nina" > skrev i en meddelelse
> > A snow cone is a frozen dessert made of shaved ice and
> > placed in a paper cone holder.
> > After the scoop of ice is put in the cone, it is covered with
> > flavored syrup- sno cone syrup.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sounds quite chemical to me - like aritificial flavour, sugar,
artificial
> colour and nothing else?

You've got it, exactly.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

nina
April 10th 04, 04:45 PM
"Cat" > wrote in message
. dk...

> "nina" > skrev i en meddelelse
> >
> > "Cat" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > OK.
> > >
> > > Now I have to ask
> > >
> > > Dumb Scandinavians, you know.
> > >
> > > WHAT IS SNO CONE SYRUP??
> > >
> > > My curiosity is killing me :-)
> > >

> > A snow cone is a frozen dessert made of shaved ice and placed in a
paper
> > cone holder.
> > After the scoop of ice is put in the cone, it is covered with flavored
> > syrup- sno cone syrup.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sounds quite chemical to me - like aritificial flavour, sugar, artificial
> colour and nothing else?

yup!!!

Mary W.
April 10th 04, 05:03 PM
nina wrote:
> "Cheryl S." > wrote in message
>
> wrote in message
m...

>>>On that note, my sister's neighbor told her today
>>>that she "couldn't understand those people who
>>>only gave their babies water and not something
>>>good like apple juice", so maybe it's more common
>>>than I thought to believe flavored drinks are in
>>>some way necessary. To train the kids for
>>>Kool-Aid and Dr. Pepper later, I guess.
>>
>>I think many adults don't like to drink water themselves, and project
>>that dislike onto their baby. They think if they only gave the baby
>>water to drink they'd be somehow depriving the baby and the baby would
>>be unhappy, rather than realize if the baby hadn't gotten anything else
>>he'd almost certainly be perfectly content with water and *enjoy*
>>drinking it.
>

> True.
> Also, in some areas the water just tastes nasty and NO ONE can tolerate it.
> I drink my water with lime juice just so I can get it down. The water in
> this part
> of the country just tastes icky to me. In Houston its particularly foul. Ugh

We don't drink our tap water, its not *that* bad, but we have
a water cooler and have water delivered. My parents live in
Arizona, and the water is intolerable. They installed a
water purifier (reverse osmosis) and that's where they
get all their drinking water. In fact most of the grocery
stores have fresh water dispensers, you bring your own jugs
and fill up them up (it used to be $0.25 a gallon).

Mary

H Schinske
April 10th 04, 10:45 PM
Jen wrote:

>Agreed....BUT...filtered water only takes *some* of the crap out of
>bad water, it don't do a damn thing for the taste though ;(

In my experience it makes a lot of difference to the taste. I imagine it varies
according to what is in the water, though. I'm sure some water wouldn't be all
that good, even filtered.

--Helen

JennP
April 11th 04, 02:24 AM
"Cat" > wrote in message
. dk...

> Thanks.
>
> Sounds quite chemical to me - like aritificial flavour, sugar, artificial
> colour and nothing else?

Yes, but I love 'em! :)
--
JennP.