PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Court: spanking ok, beatings nay

Fern5827
July 10th 03, 06:04 PM
Subject: Swiss Court: Parents Can Strike children
From: "stargazer"
Date: 7/10/2003 12:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Swiss Court: Parents Can Strike Children

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) - Parents have only a limited right to smack
their children to punish or educate them, Switzerland's highest court ruled
Wednesday.

The Swiss supreme court said an occasional smack is acceptable but anything
more would constitute a criminal offense.

The court was ruling on an appeal from the father of two children ages 9 and
11 who lodged a criminal complaint against his estranged wife's new partner.
He claimed the man had smacked and kicked the children on 10 occasions and
had taken to pulling their ears.

Authorities in the western Vaud canton (state) refused to consider the case.
They said the man, who had lived with the children's mother for three years,
had the right to discipline the children. Wednesday's ruling means the case
will be reopened.

In their ruling, the supreme court judges said parents and others acting in
a parental capacity had the right to smack a child occasionally ``following
inappropriate behavior and with the aim of educating the child.'' But if the
punishment is repeated or regular, that could not be justified.

In hitting the children 10 times, the man went beyond what was acceptable.
Furthermore, the kicks given to the children represented ``degrading
treatment'' and could not be justified in terms of a duty to educate a
child, the judges said.

A number of European countries, especially Nordic ones, have made it a
criminal offense to smack children. Other countries have tightened their
rules, including outlawing corporal punishment by teachers.

Switzerland in the past has considered introducing laws on parental behavior
but no such law has been passed. Corporal punishment is banned in Swiss
schools.

Fern5827
July 10th 03, 11:37 PM
Ever heard Kazaa, Obsidian?

Glad to see you're on topic for once.

LaVonne Carlson
July 11th 03, 02:21 AM
Fern,

Could you please provide a date or further reference so individuals can
actually read the article posted? It sounds like this was simply a forward
from "stargazer."

My understanding is that Switzerland is now moving towards the example set by
Austria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Latvia,
Norway, and Sweden. These countries all ban any physical punishment if
children. While Switzerland may not have legally banned all physical
punishment of children, the country is certainly moving in that direction.
There are countries who recognize children as more than punching bags. I
applaud Switzerland for the strides the country is making to protect children .

There will come a time when the US will also realize that children are not
property, and care for children in the way they deserve, both morally and
legally, to be cared for.

LaVonne

Fern5827 wrote:

> Subject: Swiss Court: Parents Can Strike children
> From: "stargazer"
> Date: 7/10/2003 12:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>
> Swiss Court: Parents Can Strike Children
>
> LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) - Parents have only a limited right to smack
> their children to punish or educate them, Switzerland's highest court ruled
> Wednesday.
>
> The Swiss supreme court said an occasional smack is acceptable but anything
> more would constitute a criminal offense.
>
> The court was ruling on an appeal from the father of two children ages 9 and
> 11 who lodged a criminal complaint against his estranged wife's new partner.
> He claimed the man had smacked and kicked the children on 10 occasions and
> had taken to pulling their ears.
>
> Authorities in the western Vaud canton (state) refused to consider the case.
> They said the man, who had lived with the children's mother for three years,
> had the right to discipline the children. Wednesday's ruling means the case
> will be reopened.
>
> In their ruling, the supreme court judges said parents and others acting in
> a parental capacity had the right to smack a child occasionally ``following
> inappropriate behavior and with the aim of educating the child.'' But if the
> punishment is repeated or regular, that could not be justified.
>
> In hitting the children 10 times, the man went beyond what was acceptable.
> Furthermore, the kicks given to the children represented ``degrading
> treatment'' and could not be justified in terms of a duty to educate a
> child, the judges said.
>
> A number of European countries, especially Nordic ones, have made it a
> criminal offense to smack children. Other countries have tightened their
> rules, including outlawing corporal punishment by teachers.
>
> Switzerland in the past has considered introducing laws on parental behavior
> but no such law has been passed. Corporal punishment is banned in Swiss
> schools.

Fern5827
July 11th 03, 04:43 PM
Lavonne, you're dreaming.

Child abuse is a very contentious area for all kinds of accusations to be made.

The lawyers and judiciary plus a whole industry is devoted to litigating such
cases.

Will not go away.

Do not have references. Do you doubt what I have posted?

BTW, US affirms totally in USSC HOLDING THAT SPANKING IS LEGAL.

Look us Ingraham v. Wright

Kane
July 12th 03, 06:00 AM
(Fern5827) wrote in message >...
> Lavonne, you're dreaming.

Of course she is. She's dreaming of a day when the abuse of children,
excused by the appellation "spanking" or "discipline" is gone, and
children develop respect for authority instead of fear of authority
with all it's attendant evils.

> Child abuse is a very contentious area for all kinds of accusations to be
> made.

You are absolutely correct, Permiatum vasicum. And it's you that
excuse abuse in the name of corporal punishment taken to extremes.
Hanging and beating with instruments comes to mind. You did defend
those parents and church members that did that, did you not?

> The lawyers and judiciary plus a whole industry is devoted to litigating such
> cases.

Would you prefer no oversight of parents at all? Seems you are
perfectly happy with blaming CPS when failure of oversight results in
abuse.

Try to work it out will you? A shot of Dormant Spray might help.

> Will not go away.

Who are you, George Bush Senior.

Or are you frantically peddling as fast as you can like your other
cowardly abuse excusing friends in the newsgroup because you see the
handwriting on the wall and it scares the Sap out of you?

> Do not have references.

"Do not have references" to what, Gherkin?

> Do you doubt what I have posted?

So what about her reply would suggest she didn't believe the Swiss did
as the article you pasted (you didn't "post" anything). Please be
specific...r r r r

> BTW, US affirms totally in USSC HOLDING THAT SPANKING IS LEGAL.

Did you ever notice that SCOTUS sometimes changes its mind over time?
Once it was Constitutionally legal in this country to deny women the
vote, deny them abortions, and keep slaves and kill them at the owners
whimsy. That changed. So can spanking.

And that change is most definately in the wind. Ooooooooo. Watch out.
You are about to be Pruned.

> Look us Ingraham v. Wright

Have. You are right. So are we. It's going to change. And when it does
I do hope you are still alive, for your shot of Fish Fertilizer.

r r r r

Stoneman