PDA

View Full Version : Re: [OT] What Is "Terrorism?"

Catherine Woodgold
July 24th 03, 12:24 AM
> Bush & the Media Cover up the Jihad Schoolbook Scandal

> Have you heard about the Afghan Jihad schoolbook
> scandal?

> Or perhaps I should say, "Have you heard about the
> Afghan Jihad schoolbook scandal that's waiting to
> happen?"

> Because it has been almost unreported in the Western
> media that the US government shipped - and continues to
> ship - millions of Islamist (that's short for Islamic
> fundamentalist) textbooks into Afghanistan. ...

You can read the whole article at:

http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/jared/jihad.htm

--
Cathy

Chris
July 25th 03, 04:15 AM
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote in message >...
> > Bush & the Media Cover up the Jihad Schoolbook Scandal
>

> > Have you heard about the Afghan Jihad schoolbook
> > scandal?
>
> > Or perhaps I should say, "Have you heard about the
> > Afghan Jihad schoolbook scandal that's waiting to
> > happen?"
>
> > Because it has been almost unreported in the Western
> > media that the US government shipped - and continues to
> > ship - millions of Islamist (that's short for Islamic
> > fundamentalist) textbooks into Afghanistan. ...
>

> You can read the whole article at:
>
> http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/jared/jihad.htm

It is shocking that the USA has been writing, printing, and
shipping school textbooks to Afghanistan for decades which according
to the March 23, 2002 Washington Post "were filled with talk of jihad
and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have
served since then [i.e., since the violent destruction of the Afghan
secular government in the early 1990s] as the Afghan
school system's core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the
American-produced books..." Yet at the same time, it is not
surprising when viewed in the context of US policy towards Afghanistan
over the last twenty years.

The blood debt of Americans (myself included) to the Afghani
people is enormous. It was the USA which deliberately provoked the
USSR into invading in the first place, according to Carter-era
National Security Advisor Zbigniew
Brzezinski. In a 1998 interview he gave to the French magazine, _Le
Nouvel Observateur_ (Jan. 15-21), Brzezinski revealed that US covert
military aid to the Afghan mujahideen (elements of what would later
become al-Qa'eda and the Taliban) began six months *before* the
Soviets invaded, not afterwards as Americans had long been misled into
believing. This was done with the calculated hope that it would
"induce a Soviet military intervention" thus leading them into their
own Vietnam-style quagmire. The gambit worked. As a result, tens of
thousands of Soviet boys have died, along with millions of Afghanis,
most of them children. And decades later the country continues to be
a festering pit of human rights abuses, atrocities, ethnic cleansing,
torture, disease, extreme poverty and misery - a monumental tragedy on
a scale as vast as the Hindu Kush.

The Nouvel Observateur interviewer then asked Brzezinski the
obvious question. Did he have any regrets? Here is Mr. Brzezinski's
response:

"Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It
had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you
want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the
border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of
giving to the USSR its Vietnam War. Indeed, for almost 10 years,
Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a
conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup
of the Soviet empire."

The US government, led by the so-called "human rights
administration" of Jimmy Carter, deliberately set the first domino in
motion. And the deadly dominos continue to fall, a generation later.

So it makes sense that for years the USA shipped planeloads of
children's school books calculated to teach an entire generation to
devote themselves to jihad against foreign infidels.

Every American should hang their head in shame - I already am.
We helped plunge that country into a nightmare from which they still
have yet to awake, treating them as an expendable pawn in our Great
Power maneuvers with our now-defunct rival, the USSR; a entire lost
generation of Afghanis has been the price, due in part to our
deliberate attempt to inculate them with Islamist extremist ideology.
And still there is no end in sight.

If there is anyone on this thread who is prepared to argue that
America's Afghan adventure has been a "success" I would be most
intriqued to hear you defend that curious assertion. When I look at
Afghanistan, I see nothing but an ongoing human tragedy - a disaster
area - a metaphorical puddle of pestilent mud left behind in the
bootprint of a rogue superpower's headlong march for global
domination.

Chris (USA)

Chris
July 25th 03, 04:18 AM
> [...]

Every American should hang their head in shame - I already am.
We helped plunge that country into a nightmare from which they still
have yet to awake, treating them as an expendable pawn in our Great
Power maneuvers with our now-defunct rival, the USSR; a entire lost
generation of Afghanis has been the price, due in part to our
deliberate attempt to inculate them with Islamist extremist ideology.
And still there is no end in sight.

If there is anyone on this thread who is prepared to argue that
America's Afghan adventure has been a "success" I would be most
intriqued to hear you defend that curious assertion. When I look at
Afghanistan, I see nothing but an ongoing human tragedy - a disaster
area - a metaphorical puddle of pestilent mud left behind in the
bootprint of a rogue superpower's headlong march for global

R. Steve Walz
July 26th 03, 08:05 AM
Chris wrote:

> [...]
>
> Every American should hang their head in shame - I already am.
> We helped plunge that country into a nightmare from which they still
> have yet to awake, treating them as an expendable pawn in our Great
> Power maneuvers with our now-defunct rival, the USSR; a entire lost
> generation of Afghanis has been the price, due in part to our
> deliberate attempt to inculate them with Islamist extremist ideology.
> And still there is no end in sight.
>
> If there is anyone on this thread who is prepared to argue that
> America's Afghan adventure has been a "success" I would be most
> intriqued to hear you defend that curious assertion. When I look at
> Afghanistan, I see nothing but an ongoing human tragedy - a disaster
> area - a metaphorical puddle of pestilent mud left behind in the
> bootprint of a rogue superpower's headlong march for global

The death of the whole Afghani people would be superior to leaving
them in thrall to the Taliban.
Steve